2022-2023 AUS Thread

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
The "country" doesn't care about University hockey. Look at any box score from an OUA game and see the numbers. The only OUA team that draws is LAK because there's no alternative.
Junior hockey is the big deal. University sports will always be niche because there is no interest except for major events like Final 8 B-Ball. Fans want to be entertained. Last nights game would have been boring for a lot of people because there wasn't fights, bone-crushing hits.
Junior hockey fans fall in love with their players while they're playing and forget them when they're gone.

One example I like to bring up is Jody Shelly. Jody played for the Mooseheads 5 years and he was a GOD. When he finished, no one had a clue that he was down the road at DAL. They found another hero to worship.

NCAA teams get good crowds because there is no Junior hockey to compete.

Some locals I spoke with this week were impressed with the games but always had some caveat. I try to explain to them that the CIS doesn't do that or that the players are students and not trying to kill each other.

I'm happy to be able to watch SMU and DAL with an occasional trip to ACA and even SFX. I get to see teams in their own rinks and talk with the fans and coaches. It gives me a much broader scope on that part of the league.

As much as I'd like to see more exposure it won't happen because CIS can't compete with the entertainment value of junior hockey.

So, be happy with our litttle gem of a game.....

You hit the nail on the head with your take.

Outside of UNB and Lakehead, U Sports teams don't get casual hockey fans. And out of the hardcore hockey fans in the other cities, we still get only a minority of those too. You are living in a sort of alternate universe being in Fredericton, where if someone is a hockey fan, or simply wants to see a hockey game, they'll go see UNB on a Friday or Saturday night. Here in Moncton, those people go see the Wildcats. Same in Halifax. It's a never-ending battle that we'll never win.

We know we have the best product on the ice by a mile. No amount of pay-to-air tv is going to change opinions on that unfortunately, we'll always be the afterthought and red-headed stepchild of the hockey world.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Outside of UNB and Lakehead, U Sports teams don't get casual hockey fans. And out of the hardcore hockey fans in the other cities, we still get only a minority of those too. You are living in a sort of alternate universe being in Fredericton, where if someone is a hockey fan, or simply wants to see a hockey game, they'll go see UNB on a Friday or Saturday night. Here in Moncton, those people go see the Wildcats. Same in Halifax. It's a never-ending battle that we'll never win.

We know we have the best product on the ice by a mile. No amount of pay-to-air tv is going to change opinions on that unfortunately, we'll always be the afterthought and red-headed stepchild of the hockey world.
Hey Timbit. Hope to see the Nationals at the Avenir Centre in 2026!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink

I didn't know about the redhead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad