GDT: Broadway vs Raleighwood, game 3 7pm, TNT

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
Jordan Staal is not a #2 canter, Jack Drury is not a #2 center, every time KK has a decent run at #2 center one or two bad games and he’s buried, Kutzy is seemingly past his prime, or the coaches don’t trust him.

I’ve been harping on this for 3-4 seasons. It feels like certain players are given a lot more rope when it comes to offensive production, or lack thereof, and it ain’t the ones born across the big pond. Maybe it’s a faceoff thing, or defensive coverage, but goddamnit this team lacks goal scoring in the playoffs. Let the defensemen defend and let the guys who’ve at least shown flashes of offensive talent try and score some goals.

Hell I’d put TT between Jarvis and Necas at this point or play Jarvis in the middle. At least you’ve got three 20+ goal guys on the same line, Jarvis and TT are more than capable enough of covering 88’s boneheaded defensive play.

If you’re losing the special teams battle you’ve got to try and beat the snot out of them 5v5. And the way the lines are currently set up that’s just not going to happen.

Splitting up Drury/Noesen and Staal/Martinook is mind boggling to me.

Burns and Staal both look like 2009 vintage RBA out there and somebody is going to have to make that tough decision. Personally I don’t expect Rod to be that guy.

He’s not.

Like it or not the league has changed and truly elite defensemen excel at both.

That's just it though, you're not going to beat any team at this level 5v5 by enough to make up for going 0/15 on the power play, while ALSO allowing 4 power play goals in 2 games, and a shg. Every team by round 2 is very good, some just have that extra will, skill level, better goalie, etc to put them over the top. We're unfortunately always the lesser of that situation since 2019. It's happening in round 2 this season, but would probably happen again in ECF against a team like Florida (who I suspect will make it again).

Daeavorn

livin' that no caps life
Oct 8, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Jordan Staal is not a #2 canter, Jack Drury is not a #2 center, every time KK has a decent run at #2 center one or two bad games and he’s buried, Kutzy is seemingly past his prime, or the coaches don’t trust him.

If you’re losing the special teams battle you’ve got to try and beat the snot out of them 5v5. And the way the lines are currently set up that’s just not going to happen.

Burns and Staal both look like 2009 vintage RBA out there and somebody is going to have to make that tough decision. Personally I don’t expect Rod to be that guy.

He’s not.

I agree with the points here. I deleted a bit just for space. I definitely agree with the bolded section. I actually think Slavins play has dropped off the last couple of years especially this year having to carry Burns.

Nikishin could end up our new #1D when the dust settles. Also we may need to try to re-sign Pesce or someone else because i am not confident in our RD at the moment.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
He’s not.

Look I get what you're saying, but Slavin it elite at keeping the puck away from the net. Far better than most other defenders in this league. I know he doesn't have much of an offensive game, but his level of defensive hockey is among the best the NHL has ever seen.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I agree with the points here. I deleted a bit just for space. I definitely agree with the bolded section. I actually think Slavins play has dropped off the last couple of years especially this year having to carry Burns.

Nikishin could end up our new #1D when the dust settles. Also we may need to try to re-sign Pesce or someone else because i am not confident in our RD at the moment.
If you asked me how to build a roster, I'd want 6 defenders who are great at keeping the puck away from the net even if that means their offense is lacking and to load up the offensive firepower up front. I have little patience for defenders who can't defend, they're the ones who get a team exposed in the playoffs. They become your critical weakness. And even worse, in this current era, teams are overpaying for offensive skill from the blue line. TDA has heart, that's great and all, but he's a liability when he's on the ice. It's inexcusable that we allowed ourselves to be in the situation where we didn't have a serviceable depth defender in the playoffs should there have been an injury. And by serviceable I mean someone who doesn't immediately neuter one of our better defensemen and causes that line to play heavily sheltered minutes.

I do agree with Nikishin being our future #1. I do think that is probably his current track and most likely what the franchise is counting on happening. But I also don't think Slavin is going anywhere, the way he plays the game has sustainability and he probably has more years left than we realize.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
The FO has failed to provide an adequate solution for a 2nd line for a while. They have missed on a bunch of value adds while guys like turbo and Necas typically fade in the playoffs. Teams really pressure our defense in the playoffs and block shots are more prevalent, basically eliminating our 2nd scoring threat.

Some of that is because of the system we play. It’s hard to find guys who are excellent forecheck guys and good offensive guys. Teams usually don’t give them away or they are paid heavily in FA.

The FO will need to address the 2nd line again will an even tighter budget this season. I have angst about that because we have struggled for 5 seasons to create one and generally missed on almost all of depth adds. Chatty and Noesen being the exceptions

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It was a frustrating game to watch. I missed the 1st, which apparently was our best period. In the 2nd and 3rd, we were missing passes all over the place. We really looked sloppy, like incredibly sloppy. The guys are frustrated and their frustration is showing. We for sure outshot them, but they didn't generally feel as dangerous as the first two games, IMO, and we kept passing up great chances. We are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Conversely, I thought Kochetkov was amazing last night. His rebound control was excellent. His lateral movement was great, and he was reacting really well to shots. I do think as someone else said that if we put Kooch in for G1 or G2, we probably win at least one of those games. Oh well.

Speaking of Necas, I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I don't see it with him. The skill is electric. The zone transitions are awesome. He will certainly be a very good NHLer. But on this team, on this system, it doesn't work. He doesn't get the most out of his teammates. He had a play where he cut towards the net on the right and Martinook separated from his man, giving Martinook a clean look in the crease. Had Marty passed it, it's a bang-bang play that Shesterkin has no chance on. Necas looked at his option as he was streaking in, and made the decision to try a wraparound. Martinook gets covered but stays near the crease, and Necas dekes and gets some separation by getting farther from the net. He has a clean shot opportunity (which Shesterkin is ready for), but at least some traffic in front for some rebound opportunities. He passed on that shot attempt as well, and then loses the puck a bit later if my memory serves.

Necas is super skilled, but to me I constantly see decision-making that costs us offensively and defensively. I see a guy playing the game his way over the coach's way. I know we love him around these forums, but we've tried for years and this marriage isn't working. If we make the decision to stick with Rod, I think we have to find a taker for Necas via trade.

Last edited:

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

I’ve been harping on this for 3-4 seasons. It feels like certain players are given a lot more rope when it comes to offensive production, or lack thereof, and it ain’t the ones born across the big pond. Maybe it’s a faceoff thing, or defensive coverage, but goddamnit this team lacks goal scoring in the playoffs. Let the defensemen defend and let the guys who’ve at least shown flashes of offensive talent try and score some goals.

Hell I’d put TT between Jarvis and Necas at this point or play Jarvis in the middle. At least you’ve got three 20+ goal guys on the same line, Jarvis and TT are more than capable enough of covering 88’s boneheaded defensive play.

He’s not.

He’s not.

This…Rod didn’t like when it happened to him and certainly won’t do it now, regardless of need to do so.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It was a frustrating game to watch. I missed the 1st, which apparently was our best period. In the 2nd and 3rd, we were missing passes all over the place. We really looked sloppy, like incredibly sloppy. The guys are frustrated and their frustration is showing. We for sure outshot them, but they didn't generally feel as dangerous as the first two games, IMO, and we kept passing up great chances. We are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Conversely, I thought Kochetkov was amazing last night. His rebound control was excellent. His lateral movement was great, and he was reacting really well to shots. I do think as someone else said that if we put Kooch in for G1 or G2, we probably win at least one of those games. Oh well.

Speaking of Necas, I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I don't see it with him. The skill is electric. The zone transitions are awesome. He will certainly be a very good NHLer. But on this team, on this system, it doesn't work. He doesn't get the most out of his teammates. He had a play where he cut towards the net on the right and Martinook separated from his man, giving Martinook a clean look in the crease. Had Marty passed it, it's a bang-bang play that Shesterkin has no chance on. Necas looked at his option as he was streaking in, and made the decision to try a wraparound. Martinook gets covered but stays near the crease, and Necas dekes and gets some separation by getting farther from the net. He has a clean shot opportunity (which Shesterkin is ready for), but at least some traffic in front for some rebound opportunities. He passed on that shot attempt as well, and then loses the puck a bit later if my memory serves.

Necas is super skilled, but to me I constantly see decision-making that costs us offensively and defensively. I see a guy playing the game his way over the coach's way. I know we love him around these forums, but we've tried for years and this marriage isn't working. If we make the decision to stick with Rod, I think we have to find a taker for Necas via trade.
That’s funny because I’ve always thought there were more people on your side than supportive of him. I love the guy, and he brings something the others don’t. He’s also very important in the regular season, he plays a big role in us making the playoffs and our standings position. We need those points he gets us on the 3v3 and all season long he makes contributions late in games pretty frequently so to me he’s clutch then.

Having said all that I agree there’s nothing working for him in the playoffs. I always think it’s because we just can’t find the right center or opposing wing for him. People thought less of Trocheck for his inability to mesh with him, but then three other guys have failed. Maybe it’s us not him. I’d love for him to stay but if we got a good defenseman for him it would be hard to argue. If we found a way to find a true number two center I’d love to see if that guy can find a way to mesh with Necas. In the end he needs the puck to create so it’s more about being the guy who can get Necas the puck early then be in position to bury the pass back close to the net….and Necas learning to trust that guy with those passes.

It’s easier to keep your rfa’s than your ufa’s obviously so that may dictate his future with us more than anything else. I could see him and his agent making sure he moves on though, you can tell he’s frustrated at times.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The FO will need to address the 2nd line again will an even tighter budget this season. I have angst about that because we have struggled for 5 seasons to create one and generally missed on almost all of depth adds. Chatty and Noesen being the exceptions
I think we are going to have to come to terms with the fact there are some guys on this team who just don't work with the scheme anymore, even if the scheme adjusts a little. Our Middle 6 is good for the regular season but is ineffective in the playoffs.

Man, this team gets frustrated like this every year. They just aren't good enough to win these games and scheme wise we have no idea how to create offense outside of throwing a bunch of shit at an unscreened goalie from the blue line. Against good teams we are an easy team to neutralize, and that is why we always get frustrated, making a bad situation worse.

He's the goalie of the future, and maybe the future is next year. Freddie clearly cannot handle being an every day goalie, which you need in the playoffs. Kooch can, and showed it earlier this year. He should be our #1 guy next season.

Necas still plays the game too damn fast. He allows himself to get out of control often and most of the time it ends up hurting us. It's like he plays every shift thinking he has the open space of 3v3 hockey and doesn't realize you can't just dangle past NHL defensemen on the blue line every shift. One of the only few dmen in the league who you can do that against is on our team.

If the game ever slows down for him he could be great, but until that happens he's going to be a guy who is a turnover machine against good teams. He can and will score a bunch in the regular season, but it won't carry over to the games that matter

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020

I'm fine with necas. his skill is unique to the team and can be harnessed with the right linemates. KK is not a center. its clear to me. his play on the wing is passable but he looks disinterested tooo oftern this year. behind the play both on offesens and defense and very hesitant to carry the puck. good centers drive play. he does not. Can't shake the thought that he is hurt but he just isnt consistently buying into RBA's system or is just too lazy of a skater. Perplexing.

Turbo looks average. no creativity in the playoffs. the whole team except Necas just looks slow and a little hesitant. they should not be gassed but every year it seems the team hits a wall in a series and is finished. valiant effort in this series but it feels the Rags got in their heads. we need to not stop when rushing down the wing. skate with speed and try to get around the d man versus stopping and looking for the cross ice or trailer. Rags are very disciplined team defensively.

the power play structure does not work against the Rags. we saw this a few years ago when the Rags were not afraid to take penalties because they had our pp figured out. F*ck Daniels if he is running the PP. guy scored 30 goals in his career and he's a PP expert?

to me, you have to attack the Rags setup on the pp with one of the dman. beat the defender up high and head straight for the goalie. canes two guys down low also need to move around - being stationary is not working. I realize its risky because if our dman loses the puck, its a likely breakaway against. at this point, we have to adjust and take risks imo. Have to get the Rags penalty killers to move and chase or go down to block a shot attempt. need to open up some ice against these guys. the lateral movement on the blueline from TDA and others is not accomplishing anything as our forwards are statues, so the Rags do not chase.

my 2 cents

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Stickpucker YOGSO lines next game

(you only get swept once)

Guentz Aho Jarvis
Necas Birdman Svech
Noesen Coconuts Martinook
Drury Staal Turbo

Slavin TDA
Orlov Chat
Skjei Burns

Pk

@3CanesInTheBox In desperate times as this I request a new avatar to free Necas.

Please make one with Shitsterkin that says "I'm better than Patrick Roy + Marty Brodeur"

Reactions: WreckingCrew

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
Stickpucker YOGSO lines next game

(you only get swept once)

Guentz Aho Jarvis
Necas Birdman Svech
Noesen Coconuts Martinook
Drury Staal Turbo

Slavin TDA
Orlov Chat
Skjei Burns

Pk

@3CanesInTheBox In desperate times as this I request a new avatar to free Necas.

Please make one with Shitsterkin that says "I'm better than Patrick Roy + Marty Brodeur"
switch kk and Drury. nervous about first pairing TDA.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Something else to consider is that right now, the Rangers are playing at level close to perfection. They don't seem to be making any mistakes. Combine that with Shesterkin playing in an almost god-like mode and our complete lack of puck luck...

And yet we've been right there with them this entire series. That's why I'm not putting too much stock into the very hasty decisions that are being thrown around here and elsewhere lately.

Reactions: The Jerk Store

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

Media is coming out firing today. The kid gloves are off when talking about Brindy and the front office

The Lazarus article is spot on. Fair but critical in a way that should be happening right now. Most importantly he’s still optimistic for the future with our roster in the air for next year. I don’t think I’ll bother reading the rest.

It’s over reaction time and everyone is going to call for heads and bigger moves but there’s more than enough good pieces here to build a winner. RBA and management can and should carry on, but learn from the lessons this build gave them. We’re a playoff team, but we’re not a threat. That’s a huge step forward from the decade of suck, but now the expectations are raised and we should be ready to do whatever we have to do to meet them.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Gaem 4 gdt

I will create when/if I can get a new avatar.

Totally off topic but it’s funny to me that the series of movies had some real potential but the best moment of the whole thing is this moment like ten minutes into the first movie. You can partially see why right here with the bad guys wearing outfits straight out of “Spaceballs”.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Same could be said for the FLA series last year as well.

True. And while I agree there's a disturbing pattern with regards to their playoff exits, I think ultimately it's the power play that needs to come under scrutiny. It's the main reason for our exits almost every year.

So if it's Rod running it, we should get an Xs and Os guy to run it in his stead. If it's Daniels, he needs to be questioned why it seems to falter every time an opposing team has even a little bit of tape to study.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Something else to consider is that right now, the Rangers are playing at level close to perfection. They don't seem to be making any mistakes. Combine that with Shesterkin playing in an almost god-like mode and our complete lack of puck luck...
But they're really not, they've made plenty of mistakes, we just completely fail to capitalize most of the time (exception being Svech getting them distracted on that first Guentz goal). We have had 15 PPs, 5 per game is way more than we usually get, we've been making the Rags play undisciplined. Shesty isn't playing god-like, we're lobbing unscreened garbage his way that an AHL goalie could stop. How many big saves did he have to make compared to Kooch? They're good when it matters most, and know how to counter us because we're pathetically predictable...they're not playing perfect, we're just self-defeating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad