2022-2023 AUS Thread

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
With a limit of 24, it means the AUS can still say they have a 'Limit', but it's effectively high enough that no one will complain. So, they don't have to deal with griping and complaints anymore.

You can only dress 20 (18 skaters and 2 goalies), so you would have 6 skaters (corrected) in the stands if you max'ed out and everyone was healthy. Having access to 3-4 players versus 2 more players is a big deal and gives coaches the opportunity to take a flyer on a Jr. A player who can be on the Taxi squad until you need him (an approach that ended with the 22 cap).

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFoyle and Rob

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I took a look at the Operations Manual - I hadn't seen this before. So much for the overpaid Hockey School gigs that everyone complains about.

CAMP COMPENSATION: 4.1 Effective September 1st, 2018, an AUS men’s hockey student-athlete shall not exceed $25.00 per hour, to a maximum of $1,200.00 per week and to a maximum of $5,000.00 per year in compensation for employment related to institutional led camps and 3rd party led camps between September 1st and August 31st. (Amended May 2018)

3rd Party might be hard to track - relies on self-reporting (not always the best approach).

--
5.4 (REMOVED) In order to participate in the winter term a student-athlete must be on campus and in classes (that would qualify them to be U SPORTS eligible) on or before January 15th . (Amended January 2022)

I suspect this was removed as it's already covered by the USPORTS Manual

--
12. SUBSTITUTE GOALTENDERS 12.3 - Third Goaltender

The league adopted by suggestion for a 3rd (Emergency) Goaltender rule. Practically used the exact wording from my email on this subject.

In a UNB Women's game, UNB lost a goalie to an injury and when the backup went it, Sarah asked the Ref's if she could go to her third, who was in the stands. They said it's probably not likely. At the 2nd intermission one of the officials called me and I said the league did not allow for a 3rd goalie and that they would either have to re-dress a player or go with an extra skater. I sent an email to Sarah, Gardiner and John Richard suggesting they have an emergency clause in the rules to allow for a 3rd goalie.

--
3. SCHEDULING
Exhibition Games can commence on Fri. Sept. 17
Regular Season Games can begin on Sat. Oct. 1st

Seems odd to open on a Saturday night? :dunno:

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
With a limit of 24, it means the AUS can still say they have a 'Limit', but it's effectively high enough that no one will complain. So, they don't have to deal with griping and complaints anymore.

You can only dress 20 (18 skaters and 2 goalies), so you would have 4 skaters in the stands if you max'ed out and everyone was healthy. Having access to 3-4 players versus 2 is a big deal and gives coaches the opportunity to take a flyer on a Jr. A player who can be on the Taxi squad until you need him (an approach that ended with the 22 cap).
I believe it’s 24 skaters before accounting for goalies…so you can have 6 guys scratched. It used to be 22, so 4 scratches.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this…

Reactions: Drummer

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I believe it’s 24 skaters before accounting for goalies…so you can have 6 guys scratched. It used to be 22, so 4 scratches.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong on this…
Yes. In the past you could have max 4 spare skaters. Now you can have 6. Where teams like UNB got pinched this year is when you hold/reserve spots for recruits who have pro camp invites. Reds lost three recruits this fall, so started season with 19 skaters on paper, but had some injuries too. Couldn't fill the 3 spare spots until Xmas break (which was compounded by the one-off this past season as Covid caused pro teams to poach players from USports).

As has been stated, two more player cards is a big deal. Rash of injuries or defections will be less likely to leave teams with short bench. I also agree that teams will probably go back to the old days of having one or two Junior A bubble players who try to earn ice time and push the other guys.
Finally, it is two more student-athletes which bump school enrollment by two more tuition payments. Every dollar counts.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
That's still the 21/22 Ops Manual that is posted on the site, so that reference to October 1 would have been for last season.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Reactions: Drummer

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Just looking at UNB’s, it looks like one of the better schedules in recent years….their longest “home stand” and “road trip” are each four games and only occur once each…and there is only one instance where they play the same opponents on back to back weekends.

I'm always more interested in the exhibition schedule. :)

Reactions: dm8895

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I'm always more interested in the exhibition schedule. :)
I wonder if we see McGill come down since their Xmas maritime trip was cancelled.
I’m not sure and to lazy to look into it but I’ve wondered a few times if we ever get to see a ECHL-CIS game now that TR has a team. I’d be very curious how they would match up. Ideally it would need to be after the roster is close to final in the Coast or your just going to see a bunch of guys destined for shitty USports teams or the Fed making up half the roster and they would have to see some merit in playing in the first place .

hkyNS

May 3, 2022
Halifornia, NS
I wonder if we see McGill come down since their Xmas maritime trip was cancelled.
I’m not sure and to lazy to look into it but I’ve wondered a few times if we ever get to see a ECHL-CIS game now that TR has a team. I’d be very curious how they would match up. Ideally it would need to be after the roster is close to final in the Coast or your just going to see a bunch of guys destined for shitty USports teams or the Fed making up half the roster and they would have to see some merit in playing in the first place .
I doubt you would find any guys going to the fed maybe SP or LNAH guys, I think that it would be a close game though.

hkyNS

May 3, 2022
Halifornia, NS
He's in Switzerland, good luck finding him. And if you do find him... keep him for yourself, he had overstayed his welcome here anyways lol

I wish Judes nothing but the best of luck in whatever comes next for him. He was always pleasant to work with.
whats wrong with is bob mongrain? plus he is an u15 coach.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
I offered the job to Stieny but he declined.
Hope Steiny is doing well! Still bizarre not seeing him around...
whats wrong with is bob mongrain? plus he is an u15 coach.
I'm not going to get into that too much, suffice to say he's burned bridges everywhere he's been, and for some reason I can still recite half his Jr and NHL stats by heart I heard them so many times.
Wow! From my understanding he was brought in by the alumni to turn the program around.
Was he there for only four seasons?
Yes and yes. Part of the alumni anyways. It kind of created two factions when Serge was fired but anyhoo that's in the past now and I think we have brighter days ahead of us than behind.
I think so…sounds like he wants to be closer to his family.
That's the definite impression I got from him. His GF stayed behind in Sherbrooke the last 2 seasons to be close to her kids and grandkids during the pandemic and it couldn't have been easy.
Maybe instead of the Sea Dogs hiring Gards, UdeM may do that. :)
Only if you come out of retirement and join up too. I'm always looking for people to man laptops up in the pressbox ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad