Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
My guesses ....

League
AUS MVP - Liam Hawel (SFX)
AUS Goaltender - Samuel Richard-G (UNB)
AUS Rookie - Simon Pinard (UNB) or Jeremy Helvig-G (SMU) / Samuel Richard-G (UNB)
AUS Coach - Tyler Naugler (SMU)

I didn't do too bad. I got MVP, Coach and Rookie (I hedged my bet here with 3 choices).

I got 4 of 6 on 1st Team.
- Strange to see a UNB goalie on the 1st team - it's been awhile.
- Thought Hudson could have been on 1st or 2nd team same points as Struthers with more games, but a better +/-
- Brassard had a better points/game results, but I liked MacDougall's +/- and overall game.

I got 5 of 6 for Rookies.

This league can be unpredictable
UNB - Moncton
SMU - Acadia
MacAdam Division - Kelly Division matchups.

Yeah - totally blew-up my bracket.

At least it's short trips for everyone.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Semi-Final #1 (UNB in 3)
UNB (AUS #1 / US #2) 26-6 (.866) vs UdeM (AUS #6) 11-19 (.366)
Head-2-Head: 4-1 for UNB
Head-2-Head Goals: 23-8
Goals For: 134 vs 81 (avg per game of 4.5 vs 2.7)
Goals Against: 55 vs 103 (avg per game of 1.83 vs 3.43)
Diff: +79 vs -22
GFA: 2.43 vs 0.786

Last played in 2021-22 in a best of 3 - UNB won in two (2-1 & 2-1)

UNB is too good and too strong even for Montpetit.

Semi-Final #2 (SMU in 4 - two games go to OT)
SMU (AUS #2 / US #7) 20-10 (.666) vs ACD (AUS #5) 11-19 (.366)
Head-2-Head: 4-1 for SMU
Head-2-Head Goals: 15-7
Goals For: 105 vs 73 (avg per game of 3.50 vs 2.43)
Goals Against: 86 vs 99 (avg per game of 2.86 vs 3.30)
Diff: +19 vs -26
GFA: 1.22 vs 0.737

Last played in 2019-20 in a best of 5 - ACD won in four (4-1, 5-2, 2-6 & 4-2)

SMU should win this series, but ACD could make it interesting if they can tighten-up on D, get a timely goal or get into OT (where anything can happen).

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Nice that the series are staggered so we get a game almost every night. Not sure if it was done on purpose or more because of necessity due to arena availability. Either way, I wish the AUS would do that more often.

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I don't have much to say about the SMU-ACA game last night.
ACA started out physical, like they did against SFX. SMU answered back.
I was thinking: "this should be an entertaining game".
Well, it wasn't.
Good idea to switch goalies for 3rd period the way the game was going.

I do have some questions about the box score.
How can an ACA player be -5 when there were 4 PP goals scored against? Conversely, how can a SMU player be +4?
The Stevensen goal was a PP for ACA but not shown.
I scrolled through the play-by-play and see that McMaster had 2 faceoffs late in the 3rd and then his penalty expired.
When I'm at the rink tonight I'll wander over to the "press box" and make some inquiries.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Nice that the series are staggered so we get a game almost every night. Not sure if it was done on purpose or more because of necessity due to arena availability. Either way, I wish the AUS would do that more often.
AUS sort of forced into it with the women now having best of five's. With X, SMU, UNB, UPEI all having women's semi-final series, three schools have to share the rink nights. First time ever that there has been four nights in a row of playoff hockey at the AUC in Fredericton.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
I don't have much to say about the SMU-ACA game last night.
ACA started out physical, like they did against SFX. SMU answered back.
I was thinking: "this should be an entertaining game".
Well, it wasn't.
Good idea to switch goalies for 3rd period the way the game was going.

I do have some questions about the box score.
How can an ACA player be -5 when there were 4 PP goals scored against? Conversely, how can a SMU player be +4?
The Stevensen goal was a PP for ACA but not shown.
I scrolled through the play-by-play and see that McMaster had 2 faceoffs late in the 3rd and then his penalty expired.
When I'm at the rink tonight I'll wander over to the "press box" and make some inquiries.
Presto software feeds the online boxscore and is notorious for being sticky with the PP and +/- input. Some inputs by the arena operator are off.

The plus/minus for game 1 is not correct for the reasons you list, player doesn't get a + or a - for a power play goal. With 4 out of 7 goals for SMU on the PP (assuming that's correct), the best a SMU skater can be is +3.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
AUS sort of forced into it with the women now having best of five's. With X, SMU, UNB, UPEI all having women's semi-final series, three schools have to share the rink nights. First time ever that there has been four nights in a row of playoff hockey at the AUC in Fredericton.

Add in an extra layer of complications with PEI hosting Canada Winter Games and ice time being extra scarce in Charlottetown and Summerside

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Add in an extra layer of complications with PEI hosting Canada Winter Games and ice time being extra scarce in Charlottetown and Summerside
Very scarce over here on the Island. The APM Centre in Cornwall is the best of what's left unfortunately.

Speaking of scarcity...the Islanders took on Shawinigan this morning at 11am. Decent crowd though...about 3000

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Much better game by ACA tonight as they stayed with the game plan for 60 minutes. Lots of hitting, few penalties, 1 goal plus an EN with 15 sec left.

Both goalies were solid with ACA having the edge in shots.

Not the most entertaining game I've been to, but ACA didn't come to entertain.
Very close checking by both sides, dump-and-chase, chip-it-out.
Game 3 goes Monday.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Much better game by ACA tonight as they stayed with the game plan for 60 minutes. Lots of hitting, few penalties, 1 goal plus an EN with 15 sec left.

Both goalies were solid with ACA having the edge in shots.

Not the most entertaining game I've been to, but ACA didn't come to entertain.
Very close checking by both sides, dump-and-chase, chip-it-out.
Game 3 goes Monday.
Is SMU still nursing any injuries?
IMO, Acadia may pull out a win in Wolfeville, but SMU will advance.
Moncton pulled within a goal last night, but UNB responded with relentless pressure to win 8-3. UdeM seemed to be gassed in the third, with the ice tilted.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Moncton pulled within a goal last night, but UNB responded with relentless pressure to win 8-3. UdeM seemed to be gassed in the third, with the ice tilted.

Yeah, UNB completely dominated that third period. The only chance Moncton has of winning is to get the lead and park the bus. They won’t be able to comeback in the third period like this.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I can't tell you that. You're the enemy.
Several guys out now plus add van Loon to the list after the knee injury in game one.

The only way you guys can win is to tilt the ice. other teams can't afford that technology in their rink.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I can't tell you that. You're the enemy.
Several guys out now plus add van Loon to the list after the knee injury in game one.

The only way you guys can win is to tilt the ice. other teams can't afford that technology in their rink.
It seems that SMU has been hit harder than any other AUS teams in regards to injuries.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Any idea what the format for the finals will be?
I personally kinda liked the single game last year , with 8 teams at Nationals it’s made the AUS finals nothing more than a game for pride , national seeding and a chance to have someone get hurt before the games really matter.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I personally kinda liked the single game last year , with 8 teams at Nationals it’s made the AUS finals nothing more than a game for pride , national seeding and a chance to have someone get hurt before the games really matter.
Last year was an exception because of the January Covid shutdown and they tried to extend the season by a week or so. . UdeM-ACA had a 1 game play-in and UNB-SFX has 1 game Final. Will be best-of-3 this year.

The seeding is important. If you're ranked #1 or #2 you'll get a "weaker" team. The #5 spot is pretty good as you play the OUA Runner-Up.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I'd lke to see the AUS scrap the best-of-five semi-finals. The excessive mid-week schedule is not appropriate for student athletes.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
What a game 3 at ACA.
Axe win 2-1 in 2OT. Game 4 Tues night in ACA.

ACA open the scoring early in the 1st on a PP, SMU scored 22 sec in the 3rd and the OT goal was scored a few minutes in 2OT.

Similar to game 2, ACA employed a very close checking style and SMU responded in kind. There were a few good chances in the 1st 40 min with both goalies steady in net but ACA had a 3-1 and a breakaway but failed to score while SMU was unable to cash in on a clouple of PP.

Penalties were 5 each and the refs put the whistles away in the 3rd and OT.

I thought SMU had more jump in the 3rd with several great chances and equally great saves by McCollum. Helvig in the other end was called upon to make a few good saves as well. Nauss had a great chance stymied by a slding block by Dunn. Earlier McCollum made a huge save on Getson who had the whole upper part of the net.

The 1st OT was a bit of an adventure with both teams having trouble moving the puck at times in the snow. Again, I thought SMU looked better but McCollum was solid.

Starting the 2nd OT, SMU had a couple of good shots, turned aside by McCollum. Kidney had a great chance to end it but Helvig made the save the the rebound went off the post. Sellan finished the game with a tip of a routine point shot.

Good crowd, making lots of noise when ACA had the puck.

Despite the low score, it was an entertaining playoff game.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watching online I thought SMU dominated the third period, and Acadia were lucky to make it to OT. Overtime is a crapshoot, and at least the Acadia goal wasn't a garage goal.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Watching online I thought SMU dominated the third period, and Acadia were lucky to make it to OT. Overtime is a crapshoot, and at least the Acadia goal wasn't a garage goal.
I thought ACA looked tired in the 3rd. But they hung in there to get to OT where anything can happen. Their D was down a man as Mainolfi didn't play much after the 1st OT period. I'm guessing he was injured but didn't see the play.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
The online box of game 3 SMU @ ACA has an incorrect time of the winning goal, showing as 0:35 of the second OT. First OT was a 10 minute period, 2nd OT was a 20 minute period with the winner at 10:34 in (9:26 remaining on clock). Game 3 was 80:34 in playing time length (box = 70:34), not critical to the outcome of course but the goalies are shorted 10 minutes each of playing time.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The online box of game 3 SMU @ ACA has an incorrect time of the winning goal, showing as 0:35 of the second OT. First OT was a 10 minute period, 2nd OT was a 20 minute period with the winner at 10:34 in (9:26 remaining on clock). Game 3 was 80:34 in playing time length (box = 70:34), not critical to the outcome of course but the goalies are shorted 10 minutes each of playing time.
One of my complaints on the box score is that there are inaccuracies. I watched the 2 OT from behind the ACA goal and the play was back-and-forth for a length of time before the goal was scored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad