2022-2023 AUS Thread

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Time of the winning goal in the online summary is now updated, thanks to whomever out there that made the correction happen.

Reactions: AUS Fan

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Montpetit might be playing the best game by a goalie I’ve saw in recent memory.

Yeah, there was always the potential he would steal a game. Now lets see if he can steal two in a row? Richard not at his best.

SMU eliminates Acadia. Looks like there was some rough stuff at the end of the game including a fight. I will have to check out the archive.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
An ugly ending to what was a very good playoff series between ACA and SMU.

It was looking like another OT game as both sides had chances but McCo;llum and Helvig were up to the task. Almost a carbon copy of Monday night game with close checking and good goaltending.
That all changed 6 min into the 3rd period when Flaman was assessed a Major for checking-from-behind. I didn;t see the play so I can't comment on it. Will look at the AUS archive in the morning.
SMU had a few shots but nothing dangerous. With the puck in the SMU zone, an ACA player passed it out of the zone to his defenseman who missed is and Dunkley, who was lurking nearby went in on a breakaway and scored over the right shoulder of McCollum.
On the faceoff the puck came in the ACA zone and made its way to Getson at the side of the net and he sent a backhand between the legs of McCollum for a 2-0 lead.The game went back and forth for another 7 min before Coxhead outmuscled Zazula and scored tne EN goal.
I was making my way to the exit when the crowd roared. I looked in to see several players tied up with each other, so some kind of scrap was happeninig. I'll look at the archive in the morning.

ACA season comes to an end but not before they surprised a lot of people by sweeping a good SFX team and playing 3 strong games against SMU. The SMU depth was a factor in this series as they were able to roll 4 lines a lot while ACA played with a short bench at times. Of note, Mainolfi did not dress after an apparent injury last night.

Edit: After watching the Flaman penalty I'm not sure it was a Major. Certainly 2 and 10. I think the blood may have been a factor. Tough way to end your University career.
The fight between Deakin-Poot and Theede was painfully short for Deakin-Poot.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreddyFoyle and Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watching the video it’s hard to tell how their was an instigator…looked like two willing combatants to me. But obviously we can’t see/hear everything happening on the ice from a webcast.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watching the video it’s hard to tell how their was an instigator…looked like two willing combatants to me. But obviously we can’t see/hear everything happening on the ice from a webcast.
Maybe the officials decided to do Theede a solid and hand an instigator to Deakin-Poot so Theede wouldn't be suspended next round? ;)

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
If Theede gets suspended it will probably be due to that overhand right that ended it

Theede won't be suspended for that fighting major.
Deakin-Poot was assessed an instigator, his 2 game suspension is already posted.

Deakin-Poot originally gave Busby a cross check after he attempted a fly in on Tomilson, who took a spill but didn't really make significant contact with Busby. Theede then appeared with Deakin-Poot after Busby wasn't giving the time of day to big 34 of Acadia

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Interesting game tonight at SMU.
Dawson Theede with 1st and last SMU goal. Not a name you equate with goal scoring.
The 1st period was one of the best I've seen in a while. Both teams hammering each other and tied at 1-1.
2nd period they trade goals before a 4 goal outburst in 71 seconds left the score tied a 4-4.
The teams traded goals in the 3rd with SMU killing off a 5 min PP late in the 2nd and carried over.
10 min OT solved nothing until Theede scored off a UNB turnover for the win.
Late 2nd and into the 3rd was marred by a number of head shots or questionable hits, most which went uncalled. Not a stellar night for the Red armband guys.
Both goalies were great in the 1st, terrible for part of the 2nd and just OK in the 3rd and OT.

I was talking to Phil Currie and told him he was wasting his time being there as he needed to be in UNB Thursday to present the Banner.

All in all a wild game. Big crowd at SMU which is nice to see.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It was certainly one of the more memorable AUS finals. There wasn’t that much of a rivalry before the series but there definitely is now.

I was surprised how exuberant the crowd was tonight. Reminded me of the Nationals.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I know none of the UNB crowd care, but van Loon was on the ice tonight. He didn't play much but it's a good sign that he could be ready in a week.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
One of the best crowds in years…definitely much better than the winner take-all games in 2022 against X and 2020 against Acadia.

I know none of the UNB crowd care, but van Loon was on the ice tonight. He didn't play much but it's a good sign that he could be ready in a week.
I noticed him out there for a shift towards the end of the game but that was it.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I previously asked if Dalhousie was going to build a new arena. So apparently there is a new arena planned but construction has been delayed. No timetable yet as to when it will be back underway.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I previously asked if Dalhousie was going to build a new arena. So apparently there is a new arena planned but construction has been delayed. No timetable yet as to when it will be back underway.
I think I answered that a while a go. They have "paused" construction because of costs.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Nice to see AUS guys win 3 of the 6 major awards. Congrats to all the winners.

CHARLOTTETOWN (U SPORTS) – Simon Lafrance of the UQTR Patriotes has been named the winner of the Senator Joseph A. Sullivan Trophy as the most outstanding player of the year in U SPORTS men’s hockey. The announcement was made on Wednesday night at the All-Canadian Awards Ceremony at the Delta Hotels by Marriott Prince Edward in Charlottetown, the host city of the 2023 U SPORTS Cavendish Farms University Cup.

Other major award winners include Samuel Richard of UNB, who won the Clare Drake Trophy as rookie of the year; Matt Welsh of Saint Mary’s, who won the Dr. Randy Gregg Award for student-athlete community service; Troy Lajeunesse of UPEI, who won the R.W. Pugh Trophy for most sportsmanlike player; Connor Hobbs of Saskatchewan, who was named Defenceman of the Year; Nathan Torchia of Windsor, who was named Goaltender of the Year; and Calgary’s Mark Howell, who won the Father George Kehoe Memorial Award as the Fox40 Coach of the Year.

First team All-Canadians
PosAthleteUniversityYearHometownAcademic Program
GNathan TorchiaWindsor2Baden, Ont.Sociology
DConnor HobbsSaskatchewan4Saskatoon, Sask.Education
DJustin BergeronUQTR2Magog, Que.Business
FSimon LafranceUQTR3St. Eustache, Que.Physical & Health Education
FLiam HawelSTFX2Arnprior, Ont.Business
FRiley SawchukMount Royal2Prince Albert, Sask.Business

Second team All-Canadians
PosAthleteUniversityYearHometownAcademic Program
GSamuel RichardUNB1Ste-Catherine, Que.Arts
DMatt BrassardUPEI3Barrie, Ont.Business
DNoah KingCalgary2Winnipeg, Man.Arts
FTroy LajeunesseUPEI4Sturgeon Falls, Ont.Arts
FJacob RoachBrock2Brooklin, Ont.Sport Management
FRiley StottsCalgary2Winnipeg, Man.Arts
All-Rookie Team
PosAthleteUniversityHometownAcademic Program
GSamuel RichardUNBSte-Catherine, Que.Arts
DEric Van ImpeWesternCalgary, Alta.King’s College
DJake LeeUBCSherwood Park, Alta.Arts
FSimon PinardUNBDrummondville, Que.Arts
FWilliam RouleauMcGillSt-Basile-le-Grand, Que.Finance
FJakin SmallwoodAlbertaLeduc, Alta.Native Studies

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
They need to get the University Cup back on National TV!
The streaming was of good quality, but a dam'n shame that the
country doesn't see this.
The "country" doesn't care about University hockey. Look at any box score from an OUA game and see the numbers. The only OUA team that draws is LAK because there's no alternative.
Junior hockey is the big deal. University sports will always be niche because there is no interest except for major events like Final 8 B-Ball. Fans want to be entertained. Last nights game would have been boring for a lot of people because there wasn't fights, bone-crushing hits.
Junior hockey fans fall in love with their players while they're playing and forget them when they're gone.

One example I like to bring up is Jody Shelly. Jody played for the Mooseheads 5 years and he was a GOD. When he finished, no one had a clue that he was down the road at DAL. They found another hero to worship.

NCAA teams get good crowds because there is no Junior hockey to compete.

Some locals I spoke with this week were impressed with the games but always had some caveat. I try to explain to them that the CIS doesn't do that or that the players are students and not trying to kill each other.

I'm happy to be able to watch SMU and DAL with an occasional trip to ACA and even SFX. I get to see teams in their own rinks and talk with the fans and coaches. It gives me a much broader scope on that part of the league.

As much as I'd like to see more exposure it won't happen because CIS can't compete with the entertainment value of junior hockey.

So, be happy with our litttle gem of a game.....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00