2022-2023 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Expense was certainly the issue but it wouldn’t have been too long. There are a few underwater tunnels in the world that are about that length or longer.
Sorry, I didn't mean to give the impression that 8 miles was too long.

My main point was the cost.

But, have you ever driven 8 miles under water? I haven't. Not sure that I'd want to.

Reactions: dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU win over UdeM moves them 2 points ahead of UPEI with 27 games each.

ACA loss at UNB means no change between ACA and UdeM. Something will happen Sat night when they play each other.

Reactions: Rob

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I’d be curious to hear from AUS players and coaches how they rank the quality of ice surfaces around the conference. Maybe it’s because I watch more games there than anywhere else so I notice it more, but it seems the puck has been bouncing like crazy at the AUC recently. What’s the reputation around the league re/ the ice at the AUC?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Yes, one of them will lose the game.
I’d be curious to hear from AUS players and coaches how they rank the quality of ice surfaces around the conference. Maybe it’s because I watch more games there than anywhere else so I notice it more, but it seems the puck has been bouncing like crazy at the AUC recently. What’s the reputation around the league re/ the ice at the AUC?
I don't know if players really notice the ice. I suppose they might, but haven't heard anything over the years unless the ice is really bad.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I don’t know about in the AUS but it’s the worst ice in the city.
I don’t know how to explain it unless you’ve skated on it but it’s “slow ice”. It seems softer than the ice at GH , Willie O’Ree , the 2 Oromocto Rinks and the LBR.
LBR has the best ice, the old Coliseum used to have the best ice in the city .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Huge win by SMU last night to put them 4 points up on UPEI who play SFX tonight.
This game is big for both teams.. A SFX win will insulate them against ACA catching them, while a UPEI win will put them 2 points behind SMU with both teams having 2 games left. SMU just has to win one of the next 2 while UPEI needs to win all 3 of theirs.
ACA is 1 point behind UdeM and holds the tiebreaker. UdeM has 2 tough games with UPEI and UNB while ACA has DAL and SFX.
Tonights result should clarify things a bit. The 2 races are 2/3 with SMU/UPEI and 5/6 with UdeM/ACA.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia has been playing better lately and will be a much tougher matchup for X than Moncton would.

Montpetit seems to have been struggling in the second half.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Huge win by SMU last night to put them 4 points up on UPEI who play SFX tonight.
This game is big for both teams.. A SFX win will insulate them against ACA catching them, while a UPEI win will put them 2 points behind SMU with both teams having 2 games left. SMU just has to win one of the next 2 while UPEI needs to win all 3 of theirs.
ACA is 1 point behind UdeM and holds the tiebreaker. UdeM has 2 tough games with UPEI and UNB while ACA has DAL and SFX.
Tonights result should clarify things a bit. The 2 races are 2/3 with SMU/UPEI and 5/6 with UdeM/ACA.
IMO, SMU is playing better than anyone in the conference right now and are in good position to gain a first round bye. Also, the Huskies would avoid a matchup with UNB, unless it's for an AUS championship and if that happens, they would have already punched a berth in the University Cup.
For UNB, a first round bye, but maybe a meeting with X down the road?

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
IMO, SMU is playing better than anyone in the conference right now and are in good position to gain a first round bye. Also, the Huskies would avoid a matchup with UNB, unless it's for an AUS championship and if that happens, they would have already punched a berth in the University Cup.
For UNB, a first round bye, but maybe a meeting with X down the road?
SMU are playing well, despite having a couple of key guys out with injury. Johnson, Boyd and Theede haven't played for a while.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SFX with the 3-2 OT win @ UPEI.

With the win SFX have clinched 4th place.

UPEI is 3 behind SMU with only 4 points left to play with.

ACA and UdeM will determine who plays SFX or SMU/UPEI in the 1st round.

Not the most "exciting" game, but it had a playoff feel to it.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
1. UNB (clinched 1st and 1st round bye)
2. SMU (38)
3. PEI (35)
4. SFX (can't be caught - can't catch anyone)
5. UdM (24)
6. ACD (23)
7. DAL (can't catch ACD or UdM)

PEI has the tie-breaker vs SMU, but they need 3 pts to SMU going 0-2 on the weekend.

ACD has the tie-breaker vs UdM, but they need at least one point from DAL or SFX and UdM going 0-2.

My guess - PEI remains 3rd but Acadia catches UdeM setting up PEI/UdeM and SFX/ACD in the first round. This would mean, if Higher Seeds advance - UNB vs SFX and SMU vs UPEI in the Semi's.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
1. UNB (clinched 1st and 1st round bye)
2. SMU (38)
3. PEI (35)
4. SFX (can't be caught - can't catch anyone)
5. UdM (24)
6. ACD (23)
7. DAL (can't catch ACD or UdM)

PEI has the tie-breaker vs SMU, but they need 3 pts to SMU going 0-2 on the weekend.

ACD has the tie-breaker vs UdM, but they need at least one point from DAL or SFX and UdM going 0-2.

My guess - PEI remains 3rd but Acadia catches UdeM setting up PEI/UdeM and SFX/ACD in the first round. This would mean, if Higher Seeds advance - UNB vs SFX and SMU vs UPEI in the Semi's.
I was leaning that way as well, but SMU is very capable of losing both games.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. They should have built a tunnel.
Actually, Rob, the Federal Government proposed to build a tunnel, back in 1969, Trudeau's first Government. But the Fed Gov also wanted to impose a Comprehensive Development Plan to PEI as well, the CDP was a massive project to reform everything Government in PEI. Long story, but the Feds wanted to give this to PEI instead of the tunnel. They also wanted PEI to tell its people it was their own decision, young Premier Campbell, now 90+ told them to pound sand, but that is another story. Anyway to this day, in Borden, as you approach the bridge, look to your right in the field before the beach, you can see the mound where they started the approach ramp.
As far as the bridge goes, before it was built, we had a ferry service for many many years, they would not sail in high winds either, and EVERYBODY was stranded, not just high sided vehicles. So this is nothing new to PEI.
Finally, in the debates in late 80's about what to do, improved ferry service, bridge, or?? tunnel was 3rd option. Bridge won the day.

It costs much less to build a bridge than a tunnel.
I've been through tghe Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel system and the tunnels are only 1 mile long.
Imagine driving 8 miles underwater to PEI.
The "Chunnel" beneath the English Channel, is much longer than a mile, or 9 across the Northumberland Strait.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
UPEI with a 4-2 win over UdeM puts them 1 point behind SMU who play SFX Friday night. A SMU win will clinch 2nd place. SFX has nothing to play for so they should sit all their guys and rest for the playoffs.

Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge.

The UdeM loss opens the door for ACA to move up with a win over DAL Friday night.

Watch this space.....

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
UPEI with a 4-2 win over UdeM puts them 1 point behind SMU who play SFX Friday night. A SMU win will clinch 2nd place. SFX has nothing to play for so they should sit all their guys and rest for the playoffs.

Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge.

The UdeM loss opens the door for ACA to move up with a win over DAL Friday night.

Watch this space.....
I’d be surprised if some guys from X don’t rest this weekend! Only thing to play for is injury really…

Can’t see UNB taking the same approach though…with tough loss last weekend vs SMU, a loss last time UPEI was in town and an extended break coming up with the first round bye

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I’d be surprised if some guys from X don’t rest this weekend! Only thing to play for is injury really…

Can’t see UNB taking the same approach though…with tough loss last weekend vs SMU, a loss last time UPEI was in town and an extended break coming up with the first round bye
UNB wouldn't rest guys if they were playing a PeeWee team.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Anyone here anything about playoff schedules ?
If memory serves me correctly they usually start Wednesday after the last weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad