2022-2023 AUS Thread

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
A couple of thoughts on weekend games.

SMU/ACA @ UPEI - SMU lost 9-1 (Welsh -7), 8-2 (Welsh -8), 2-0 (Welsh -2) and a 3-2 OT win with Helvig in goal.

If I was a betting man, I'd go with Helvig on Friday.

ACA - 5-3 loss (EN goal, Paputsakis -4), 3-0 loss (EN goal, McCollum), 2-0 loss, Paputsakis, 4-2 win, McCollum.

ACA has played UPEI much closer than SMU has. Going with McCollum on Friday and hoping for an ACA win.

UdeM/DAL - A tossup. Depends who shows up.
UdeM/SFX - Give the win to SFX.

UNB/SFX - X always plays on the edge with UNB but are 1-3 this year. Should be a fun game. UNB with the win.
UNB/DAL - The OT game was a blip for a team that's been outscored 25-6 in four games.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
A couple of thoughts on weekend games.

SMU/ACA @ UPEI - SMU lost 9-1 (Welsh -7), 8-2 (Welsh -8), 2-0 (Welsh -2) and a 3-2 OT win with Helvig in goal.

If I was a betting man, I'd go with Helvig on Friday.

ACA - 5-3 loss (EN goal, Paputsakis -4), 3-0 loss (EN goal, McCollum), 2-0 loss, Paputsakis, 4-2 win, McCollum.

ACA has played UPEI much closer than SMU has. Going with McCollum on Friday and hoping for an ACA win.

UdeM/DAL - A tossup. Depends who shows up.
UdeM/SFX - Give the win to SFX.

UNB/SFX - X always plays on the edge with UNB but are 1-3 this year. Should be a fun game. UNB with the win.
UNB/DAL - The OT game was a blip for a team that's been outscored 25-6 in four games.

SMU/ACA @ UPEI - Have a feeling my hometown Panthers will not sweep the weekend. Predicting UPEI takes Friday night at Eastlink Centre, but falls short against ACA Saturday night.

UdeM/DAL - I like DAL in this match up
UdeM/SFX - predicting X takes it at home in a tight contest

UNB/SFX - Agreed, should be a fun one and going to bet it gets spicy. Taking UNB 4-2
UNB/DAL - I'm taking UNB in a blowout with Outhouse likely to get the start

Reactions: AUS Fan

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
SMU/ACA @ UPEI - Have a feeling my hometown Panthers will not sweep the weekend. Predicting UPEI takes Friday night at Eastlink Centre, but falls short against ACA Saturday night.

UdeM/DAL - I like DAL in this match up
UdeM/SFX - predicting X takes it at home in a tight contest

UNB/SFX - Agreed, should be a fun one and going to bet it gets spicy. Taking UNB 4-2
UNB/DAL - I'm taking UNB in a blowout with Outhouse likely to get the start
I'll be at both DAL games. This could be moving weekend for some teams or status quo like last weekend where no one moved.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
St. FX generating much more offense + playing much better defense against UNB in these last two games than I have saw from them in quite sometime.

EDIT - Clutch 3rd period for UNB to get the 3-1 win

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
The weekend is shaping up nicely for some teams.

SMU comes back from being down 2-0 for a 5-2 win and moves 2 points ahead of UPEI. SMUwas 3/5 on the PP.

UNB-SFX was not a surprise. A 2-1 game with an EN goal late.

UdeM-DAL was fun to watch. DAL had the edge in play in the 1st.
DAL scored early in the 2nd and a broken pane of glass shortly after delayed the game for about 20 min. When the teams came back out, UdeM seemed to have more jump and tied the game at 1-1.
UdeM took a 4 min Kneeing penalty in the 3rd and promptly scored 2 SH goals in 1:30.
They scored the 4th goal on a late PP for a 4-1 win.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
i don’t know what’s more annoying , the announcers or the cameraman trying to give me an epileptic seizure on the X feed
Ehh I don’t mind them…probably more on the homer side than most, but it doesn’t bother me. I actually don’t find any of the AUS announcers that bad. If I had to choose, I’d much rather have subpar announcers than subpar video/camera work.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
To add to my comments from last night - Looking at the SMU-UPEI boxscore I see that Maksimovich played last night. I'm wondering if UPEI did an introduction for the FISU players like SFX did?

I also neglected to mention that the reason UdeM won was because Timbit and myself were in the building at the same time and the synergy was too much for DAL. I've been asked by UdeM team staff to show up to all their games, but had to decline in case I get called up by the Leaves to replace Auston Matthews.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
1-3 on my predictions from last night! Could not have been more wrong on most…but that seems to be par for the course with the AUS

Last night X made it interesting in the second and I thought they controlled the play for better parts late in the period. UNB with a real dominant third though and that was that…

I’m taking in ACA-UPEI tonight in Charlottetown. Should be good one!!

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
Ehh I don’t mind them…probably more on the homer side than most, but it doesn’t bother me. I actually don’t find any of the AUS announcers that bad. If I had to choose, I’d much rather have subpar announcers than subpar video/camera work.
I’m not sure what side I fall on this one…can tell you that the exasperated sighs are kind of annoying, but I also agree I’ll take good video and cameras all day!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
1-3 on my predictions from last night! Could not have been more wrong on most…but that seems to be par for the course with the AUS

Last night X made it interesting in the second and I thought they controlled the play for better parts late in the period. UNB with a real dominant third though and that was that…

I’m taking in ACA-UPEI tonight in Charlottetown. Should be good one!!
Don't be so hard on yourself. Who would have figured 2 SH goals on the same PK? But, I thought DAL ran out of gas or something 1/2 way through the game and/or UdeM turned it up.

902RedIslander

Nov 2, 2022
3-2 ACA over UPEI…this one definitely stings for the Panthers. Disappointing weekend for them to point out the obvious l.

5-4 (SO) X vs UdeM - X ties it up late and definitely lucky to get the extra point.

6-2 UNB at DAL - solid weekend for the Reds but with 0-4 on PP something has to give sooner or later eh!

Reactions: timbitca

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Lots of things tonight.
UNB clinches 1st with a 6-2 win over DAL.
ACA puts 2 more points between them and DAL and also gives SMU a bit of breathing room in 2nd.
SMU controls their own destiny now. No help needed from any other team. SMU and UPEI play the same 4 teams over their last 4 games.
UdeM and SFX will be fun to watch the next 4 games with 1 point separating them.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
We were way past cold, I think we all had hypothermia for a bit.

Was nice being back "on the road" this weekend. Had my birthday on Friday night and seeing as all our teams were on the road all weekend for the first time I can remember in a long time, my and the Mrs and a couple of friends decided to make a weekend of it and head to DAL on Friday night for the boy's game and back at DAL on saturday nigth for the girls' game. Nice catching up with AUS Fan as usual.

Good weekend for the boys, always nice to have that little x next to your name on the standings.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
With a 5-1 loss to UPEI, DAL is (should be) officially eliminated from playoff contention and ACA should have clinched a spot.

The standings don't show ACA having clinched.

SMU and UPEI are tied with SMU having a game in hand. SMU has to match UPEI, point-for-point in order to finish 2nd and get the bye.

Edit: Standings are updated. All is well in the AUS.

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. They should have built a tunnel.
It costs much less to build a bridge than a tunnel.
I've been through tghe Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel system and the tunnels are only 1 mile long.
Imagine driving 8 miles underwater to PEI.

Reactions: Drummer

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
It costs much less to build a bridge than a tunnel.
I've been through tghe Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel system and the tunnels are only 1 mile long.
Imagine driving 8 miles underwater to PEI.
Expense was certainly the issue but it wouldn’t have been too long. There are a few underwater tunnels in the world that are about that length or longer.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Expense was certainly the issue but it wouldn’t have been too long. There are a few underwater tunnels in the world that are about that length or longer.
"Expenses" are everything. I can't remember the dollars in the tunnel proposals back in the day, but they were huge. Plus, tunnels can leak if not well maintained ($$$). Don't want to be in one when ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad