Speculation: 2021 Salary Cap Crunch & Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I think it was you who alluded to this but Cirelli at 3C is my vote. Put some guys around him. Killorn ain't going anywhere so he and Stamkos can stay a pair. Colton might be "this close" to a top 6 role seeing as he was paired with Stamkos the night we won the Cup.

Beyond the obvious of "we gotta move Johnson" there's not much else really because the guys we're just now getting to have been waiting for like.... 3 years?
I'm not opposed to going back to the Palat - Cirelli - Killorn shutdown line we had that we know works. Put Stamkos with Point and Kuch or on the 3rd (doubt)

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Have to move 2 forwards to be compliant. TJ ideally is one. Who else do you think the Lightning should move? Personally I’m with Guorde going to clear cap. It sucks but it’s the reality of the situation.
TJ and Palat were the two imo. TJ for all the reasons that have been stated over and over, and Palat because of contract length/team control. Tampa could've moved him now for positive value, when by keeping him they now will watch him walk away after this season with no picks and/or prospects, while still having given away value to move TJ most likely. Unless Palat is willing to take a very team friendly, he is gone after the year(or maybe before with the TDL) unless the team chooses to trade Killorn or Cirelli after this coming year.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If Tampa wants to have a more shutdown 3rd line again, they could try something like this:
Palat-Point-Kuch
Killorn-Stamkos-ABB
Colton-Cirelli-Katchouk/Raddysh
Maroon-Stephens-Joseph
Smith and the other between Katchouk and Raddysh as other options.

Last edited:

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If Tampa wants to have a more shutdown 3rd line again, they could try something luke this:
Palat-Point-Kuch
Killorn-Stamkos-ABB
Colton-Cirelli-Katchouk/Raddyah
Maroon-Stephens-Joseph
Smith and the other between Katchouk and Raddysh as other options.
I posted similar about a week ago.

With the decision at hand for Johnson to be traded, this is our best starting roster.

Reactions: JTBF81

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If we are going back to Stamkos at center in an attempt to make three lines, I'd reunite him with Kucherov. Palat/Point, Stamkos/Kucherov, Killorn/Cirelli. Fill in the rest with the youngsters, ABB already has some chemistry with Point and Palat.

We still have Joseph, Colton, and Katchouk. I think it could work

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
As good as Gourde Coleman and Goodrow were in that 3rd line role for us feel like it would be so much harder for us to replicate what we got on the top 2 lines and our D than to find those kind of role players. While those guys are near top of the league in their skillets if not best in what they do, still feel like we can find some variation there that would be effective enough for us. Chip in offensively here and there but mostly just be a pain in the ass to play against and then obviously kill penalties as well. Mix that up with our top end scoring, pp, d, and vasi then you got a recipe for another possible long run.

Reactions: Maelmoor

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
As good as Gourde Coleman and Goodrow were in that 3rd line role for us feel like it would be so much harder for us to replicate what we got on the top 2 lines and our D than to find those kind of role players. While those guys are near top of the league in their skillets if not best in what they do, still feel like we can find some variation there that would be effective enough for us. Chip in offensively here and there but mostly just be a pain in the ass to play against and then obviously kill penalties as well. Mix that up with our top end scoring, pp, d, and vasi then you got a recipe for another possible long run.

They'll have big shoes to fill. Coleman's gonna get $6 million on the open market on a team like the Flyers or something

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
I dont know pur cap situation,but what about shut down line Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph. 1st line Palat-Point-Kuch (we need Palats kind of player at 1st line,who as many have said,digs pucks,battles for them,have top 6 mindset and can score goals) and 2nd line Stamkos-?-?

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

hollandhouse

Aug 28, 2016
Tampa
Is there anyone else that thinks AS MUCH AS WE LOVE MCDONOUGH that now is the time to trade him? I feel he brought you two championships and we knew it was a cap mess. I feel you got those two years and those two championships out of mcdonough that now you let him go with a tear in your eye. that 6.5 million can go a long way elsewhere. and you know his trade returns will diminish over time. If I told you you get mcdonough but the cap will be rough but you get to championships and return on investment when you trade him - we all would have taken that deal. Also something inside me feels these guys have alot of wear and tear - injury or diminishing value and if he isnt traded now it can become a dead weight that can hurt for years.

Peacefool

Nov 15, 2019
Is there anyone else that thinks AS MUCH AS WE LOVE MCDONOUGH that now is the time to trade him? I feel he brought you two championships and we knew it was a cap mess. I feel you got those two years and those two championships out of mcdonough that now you let him go with a tear in your eye. that 6.5 million can go a long way elsewhere. and you know his trade returns will diminish over time. If I told you you get mcdonough but the cap will be rough but you get to championships and return on investment when you trade him - we all would have taken that deal. Also something inside me feels these guys have alot of wear and tear - injury or diminishing value and if he isnt traded now it can become a dead weight that can hurt for years.
If so we should left him unprotected and keep Gourde, so it will be kinda stupid to protect McDonagh lose Gourde and trade McDonagh. And dont forget dude played this PO with broken hand,he would be even vetter healthy)

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Absolutely not. Protecting McDonagh meant JBB views this team as contending for a three-peat. And I agree with him. McDonagh is the heart and soul of this team. He is playing fantastic and is showing no signs of slowing down. Elite skaters tend to age pretty well, and McDonagh is an elite skater. Given some of the contracts that other defensemen are getting, McDonagh's contract is great right now and will not be too bad if he ages well, which, again, I think is likely. Having Vasy and Hedman, McDonagh, Cernak and Sergachev in front of him is key to our success going forward. We largely won two cups by being able to keep pucks out of the net.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
No. Keeping McD means we still have the best defense/goaltending in the league. We're not winning shit without that.

On offense we still have three great players in Kuch, Stamkos and Point.

JBB need to figure out how to fill out the forwards with a mixture of young guys and league minimum vets chasing a cup.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
If Savard gets 6 x 5 then McD's contract may be a bargain even with his age.

I know McD is 2 years older and there is certainly a part that it took Savard some time to settle in, but he was close to unplayable against Florida's speed and struggled against Carolina as well. He was invaluable against the Isles (especially with Cernak missing games) and the Habs and their style. But if you let me pick McD 6.75 x 5 v. Savard 6 x 5 this offseason I would pick McD and I think most would.

Now maybe Savard doesn't get that and gets something much lower, but we will see.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I'd rather go for Suter than Savard if he will come cheap to win a cup, , and move Sergachev to the right to play with Hedman

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Are we allowed to do this with no money?
I guess we are allowed to be a certain percentage over the cap until training camp or something?
we can be 10% over the cap in the offseason. i think technically we can qualify them all until they actually sign the QO or sign a contract and it not really cost anything

Reactions: The Gongshow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad