Speculation: 2021 Salary Cap Crunch & Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Katchouk will help the losses on the PK and with any luck, his potential is that of Goodrow. Raddysh is a much harder guess. Maybe somewhere between the level of Volkov and Colton if we're lucky?

I believe firmly that both of them are scoring line wingers. They have hockey IQ in vast amounts, decent foot speed and have the creativity to give them open spaces. 50 to 60 points each is my prediction personally. The negative side to this is that we will have to find money to resign them after their next deals are up. Granted I could be way off base here, but everything I've seen tells me otherwise.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The way JBB was talking it sounds like we will have to possibly dump two of those guys. If we lose Palat or Killorn our offense is gonna be complete shit. I think u would rather look to add scoring touch at that point rather than grit.

Actually, I have no idea. I think our offense is f***ed either way.

Yeah, keeping McD and not working a possible deal to have him be the Seattle pick(or possibly Seattle taking him anyway) ended any chance the team had of keeping the 3rd line together in any capacity. Additionally, by not making a deal to have them take Johnson, JBB gambled and lost Gourde as well. This is why the team should not give much, if anything, in value to move TJ now. If JBB wasn't willing to do it at the expansion draft to guarantee Gourde stayed, he shouldn't now to protect one year of Palat. Move Palat for value and have TJ be 3C or top 6 W. I know most thought losing McD was blasphemy, but if Raddysh, Katchouk and ABB don't step in and provide depth scoring and some defensive ability, it is going to be very difficult when an opponent neutralizes the top line and there's no depth after the 2nd line. Hope I'm wrong but definitely do not like the direction they went in regards to who was prioritized.

Reactions: Peacefool

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I wouldn't be surprised if we actually wanted Seattle to take Gourde. Obviously everyone loves him, but JBB's job is to do what's best for the team. With three more years at 5.16m, Gourde being 29, and JBB knowing his linemates wouldn't be returning it's not outside the realm of possibility that the expansion draft unfolded how we wanted it to.

We never really know exactly how our players are viewed by our coaches/front office. Not many people expected JBB to approach Stammer to get him to waive last year, but he did. I think JBB does a good job at determining what's best for the team even when a particular move might not be the most popular with the fan base.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I wouldn't be surprised if we actually wanted Seattle to take Gourde. Obviously everyone loves him, but JBB's job is to do what's best for the team. With three more years at 5.16m, Gourde being 29, and JBB knowing his linemates wouldn't be returning it's not outside the realm of possibility that the expansion draft unfolded how we wanted it to.

We never really know exactly how our players are viewed by our coaches/front office. Not many people expected JBB to approach Stammer to get him to waive last year, but he did. I think JBB does a good job at determining what's best for the team even when a particular move might not be the most popular with the fan base.
Since JBB was actively trying to get a deal worked with them to have them select Johnson, it seems pretty clear that no, Tampa did not want to lose Gourde. Gourde could’ve had at least one of Coleman/Goodrow as well if McD had been selected, plus Tampa could’ve still had the room to address the defense by moving out TJ and if needed, likely Palat.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Yeah, keeping McD and not working a possible deal to have him be the Seattle pick(or possibly Seattle taking him anyway) ended any chance the team had of keeping the 3rd line together in any capacity. Additionally, by not making a deal to have them take Johnson, JBB gambled and lost Gourde as well. This is why the team should not give much, if anything, in value to move TJ now. If JBB wasn't willing to do it at the expansion draft to guarantee Gourde stayed, he shouldn't now to protect one year of Palat. Move Palat for value and have TJ be 3C or top 6 W. I know most thought losing McD was blasphemy, but if Raddysh, Katchouk and ABB don't step in and provide depth scoring and some defensive ability, it is going to be very difficult when an opponent neutralizes the top line and there's no depth after the 2nd line. Hope I'm wrong but definitely do not like the direction they went in regards to who was prioritized.
Offense wins you regular season accolades and President's Trophies, defense wins you Cups. Rock on JBB.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Since JBB was actively trying to get a deal worked with them to have them select Johnson, it seems pretty clear that no, Tampa did not want to lose Gourde. Gourde could’ve had at least one of Coleman/Goodrow as well if McD had been selected, plus Tampa could’ve still had the room to address the defense by moving out TJ and if needed, likely Palat.
Have to move 2 forwards to be compliant. TJ ideally is one. Who else do you think the Lightning should move? Personally I’m with Guorde going to clear cap. It sucks but it’s the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crunchrulz

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015

The difference in salary between Gourde and Mac is only 1.58m. Goodrow signed with NY for 3.64 AAV, well over 2x the savings Mac would have created.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Stamkos. I don't see us trusting a shutdown line to anybody but Cirelli. There will be a lot of youth on the team.

Not the best use but Point has that effect by proxy too. Cooper is seldom ever outcoached against Boston because all he's gotta do is match Point's line to Bergeron and that's basically checkmate

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Not the best use but Point has that effect by proxy too. Cooper is seldom ever outcoached against Boston because all he's gotta do is match Point's line to Bergeron and that's basically checkmate
Yeah but if Point's on the team he's automatically the #1. But I think we value C depth, so either Stammer moves back or we try out Joseph.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah but if Point's on the team he's automatically the #1. But I think we value C depth, so either Stammer moves back or we try out Joseph.

I think it was you who alluded to this but Cirelli at 3C is my vote. Put some guys around him. Killorn ain't going anywhere so he and Stamkos can stay a pair. Colton might be "this close" to a top 6 role seeing as he was paired with Stamkos the night we won the Cup.

Beyond the obvious of "we gotta move Johnson" there's not much else really because the guys we're just now getting to have been waiting for like.... 3 years?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think Stamkos could be a dominant center again, but only if he's shooting the puck. If he's not going to the scoring areas and shooting everything he touches, I think it's a mistake to give him the extra defensive responsibility. Actually even if he does shoot like he did before, he's going to be a bit of a liability if he can't regain some of his lost speed.

Having said that, I would love to see what a Katchouk-Cirelli-Killorn line would do, I think it could be one of the best shutdown lines in hockey. I hope Cooper sees what I see there.

clemmy

Apr 11, 2021
I agree Stamkos has to start shooting more, and being more creative. Not sure if he’s lost confidence or? Maybe tell him he isn’t allowed to take one-timers from the circle for a month?

I’d guess injury or chronic pain, but to his credit I did notice him much more active on defense and even hitting during the SCP, so must not be because of that?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think it was you who alluded to this but Cirelli at 3C is my vote. Put some guys around him. Killorn ain't going anywhere so he and Stamkos can stay a pair. Colton might be "this close" to a top 6 role seeing as he was paired with Stamkos the night we won the Cup.

Beyond the obvious of "we gotta move Johnson" there's not much else really because the guys we're just now getting to have been waiting for like.... 3 years?
I think Killer and Cirelli might be the pair. Maybe throw Joseph with them for the old 7s line.

I mean, we're taking a hit, but the sky isnt falling. Our C depth is still likely #1 in the league, and our top-4 is ridiculous. We're a little weak on the wings, and yet we have the best winger in the game.

I think we're still a top tier contender. Just no longer clear cut favorites.

Reactions: NatoGhost and Hoek

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Agree move Johnson or killorn not palat
Killorn does far more, especially come playoff time. If Johnaon can be moved
without paying insane draft capital/prospects to do so, fine. If not, it makes very little sense to keep Palat for one season and then watch him walk for nothing in return while having paid through the nose to move TJ. The team can get good value for Palat now, utilize TJ more and then move him later for hopefully some kind of return(with less years left and better stats).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I think Stamkos could be a dominant center again, but only if he's shooting the puck. If he's not going to the scoring areas and shooting everything he touches, I think it's a mistake to give him the extra defensive responsibility. Actually even if he does shoot like he did before, he's going to be a bit of a liability if he can't regain some of his lost speed.

Having said that, I would love to see what a Katchouk-Cirelli-Killorn line would do, I think it could be one of the best shutdown lines in hockey. I hope Cooper sees what I see there.
Centers have more ice to cover than any other forward.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Centers have more ice to cover than any other forward.

Right, which is why his average 2 way game and reduced skating speed will be a problem. Stamkos has to show that moving him to center is worth it, by taking advantage of the increased offensive opportunity that being a center gives you.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
The difference in salary between Gourde and Mac is only 1.58m. Goodrow signed with NY for 3.64 AAV, well over 2x the savings Mac would have created.
They have Seattle take McD, trade Palat and Johnson, and they have all the space needed to keep at least one of Coleman/Goodrow(would have preferred Goodrow but not at that cap hit and term), and addressed the defense by likely keeping Savard or another similarly priced RD, and still found a cheaper 3LD. Having McD, Palat, and Johnson gone would have opened up approx 12.6 million, and although it would've been tight, Tampa could have started the year with either 21 or 22 while keeping Gourde, one of Goodrow/Coleman, Savard, a cheap 3LD(between 1-1.5), and the 2-3 other cheaper re-signings. Yes, Savard would have had.to take less on this new deal, so I did base all of my projections on some contract assumptions. Tbe point remains that Tampa could have had a more balanced looking lineup between offnse and defense this year, with a couple of different moves.,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad