Speculation: 2021 Salary Cap Crunch & Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If the deal isn't there for Johnson without JBB having to give up ridiculous value to move him, the team, at this stage, should strongly consider keeping him as either 3C or a top 6 winger. There would still be more than few teams that would likely give good value for Palat, so if it's looking like a 1st+ to move TJ, perhaps gaining a 1st or 2md+ for Palat is the more palatable move.

Reactions: AHockeyFanatic

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Sitting on the side up here in Crunchland snacking on Andy Capp's Hot Fries waiting to see what happens.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
If the deal isn't there for Johnson without JBB having to give up ridiculous value to move him, the team, at this stage, should strongly consider keeping him as either 3C or a top 6 winger. There would still be more than few teams that would likely give good value for Palat, so if it's looking like a 1st+ to move TJ, perhaps gaining a 1st or 2md+ for Palat is the more palatable move.
I see what you did there

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Surely they’re going to go the cheap veteran route for back up goalie, right? Bernier would be the pie in the sky outcome, but no way he comes for the price and role he would need to accept.

Any chance they end up rolling with Gibson?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Surely they’re going to go the cheap veteran route for back up goalie, right? Bernier would be the pie in the sky outcome, but no way he comes for the price and role he would need to accept.

Any chance they end up rolling with Gibson?
I don't see Reimer getting a big contract.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

Honestly, I'm not comfortable giving up any assets for Johnson anymore. Not after the playoffs. If we have to pay to move him, I would rather move Palat out and get something in return.

Reactions: JTBF81

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018

Yes, we literally have no space. Here is my back of the napkin math:

Current cap hit: $80,745,122

+ back up goalie, Foote, Schenn (or Bogosian), Colton, ABB = $5,000,000.

= $85,745,122.

As we know, there is no choice but to offload one of Johnson, Palat, Killorn. Of course it is Johnson - the only question is how much it will cost. Let's hope Johnson and a 1st is enough. I imagine Seattle, which has the space, will want to add assets to the cupboard. It swung and missed during the expansion draft. It needs to start stockpiling picks, and dealing with Tampa in such a transaction it exactly how to do it. Perhaps an additional pick like a mid-to-late round pick will need to be attached, too.

$85,745,122
- $5,000,000 (TJ)

= $80,745,122.

We have enough space, maybe, to award one additional league minimum contract. I say bring Paquette back. (Or Perry.) A physical presence will be critical with the loss of our third line.

Last edited:

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
For those more knowledgeable about the cap than myself, a question about our AHL players.

On Spotrac it lists their total salary at 70-80k, with a few exceptions that are higher, and their base salary at 750k mostly. 70k seems very low which is why I'm curious. Is it as simple as their salary while in the AHL is 70k, and then a pro-rated amount of 750k for every game they play in the NHL?

If so I didn't realize guys in the AHL get paid so little, relative to NHL players.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

= $85,745,122.

As we know, there is no choice but to offload one of Johnson, Palat, Killorn. Of course it is Johnson - the only question is how much it will cost. Let's hope Johnson and a 1st is enough. I imagine Seattle, which has the space, will want to add assets to the cupboard. It swung and missed during the expansion draft. It needs to start stockpiling picks, and dealing with Tampa in such a transaction it exactly how to do it. Perhaps an additional pick like a mid-to-late round pick will need to be attached, too.

$85,745,122
- $5,000,000 (TJ)

= $80,745,122.

We have enough space, maybe, to award one additional league minimum contract. I say bring Paquette back. (Or Perry.) A physical presence will be critical with the loss of our third line.
The way JBB was talking it sounds like we will have to possibly dump two of those guys. If we lose Palat or Killorn our offense is gonna be complete shit. I think u would rather look to add scoring touch at that point rather than grit.

Actually, I have no idea. I think our offense is f***ed either way.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

= $85,745,122.

$85,745,122
- $5,000,000 (TJ)

= $80,745,122.

I've done the roster a million times already. Moving Johnson is all we need to do. Foote, Colton and Barre-Boulet will get less than 1M each, Colton the most maybe 900k. Foote probably in the 800-850k range and Barre-Boulet probably league minimum on a one way deal. If Bogosian or Schenn want 1M or more then look elsewhere. Schenn should be able to return for 900k. There's a lot of vet backups out there, put a price of 1.1M and see who accepts first. Fill out the roster with Katchouk and Raddysh on league minimum and carry 22 only.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
The way JBB was talking it sounds like we will have to possibly dump two of those guys. If we lose Palat or Killorn our offense is gonna be complete shit. I think u would rather look to add scoring touch at that point rather than grit.

Actually, I have no idea. I think our offense is f***ed either way.

Bold prediction here. Katchouk and Raddysh will be Calder nominations at the end of the year. Trust the kids. We're fine.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Didn’t JBB say he thought we would be quiet at the trade deadline too?

I think he will find a way to add to the team, obviously not signing crazy contracts but interesting moves none the less

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Bold prediction here. Katchouk and Raddysh will be Calder nominations at the end of the year. Trust the kids. We're fine.

That is a bold prediction, way too many Calder candidates will get more quality minutes than those two, and the voters won’t value the two way game those two bring

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
That is a bold prediction, way too many Calder candidates will get more quality minutes than those two, and the voters won’t value the two way game those two bring

I'm standing by it. They will shoot up in the depth chart. Very similar to how palat and Johnson did when they were called up.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm standing by it. They will shoot up in the depth chart. Very similar to how palat and Johnson did when they were called up.

I feel like guys who don't excel at skating often struggle with the speed of the game initially. I also think we need to inject a little bit of speed into the line up if we lose Johnson on top of Gourde.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
The past two season have been absolutely golden and there is no other team in the NHL that would have done it any different if they had the chance. Now we are starting to see the cracks in the framework of those two seasons. As others have mentioned, we are going to have to give away more of our future to get down to Cap but going back to back makes it all that much more worthwhile.
We still have talent and making room in the Cap will give JBB the chance to fill in the gaps.
Patience young grasshoppers, patience.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Katchouk will help the losses on the PK and with any luck, his potential is that of Goodrow. Raddysh is a much harder guess. Maybe somewhere between the level of Volkov and Colton if we're lucky?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad