Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Not sure this tournament means anything for Power, really

its not exactly a talented lot
Huh, this is a ridiculously terrible take. He’s literally out performing NHL players on his own team and playing well at 18 against fully grown men who are far from bad hockey players. This is a better competition by far than any other competition that any other 2021 prospect has played this year. Better than NCAA, u18’s, CHL, SHL, etc.

Just because it doesn’t have as many good top end NHL players doesn’t mean it’s a bad tournament especially when you compare it to what prospects play against most of the draft year.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Huh, this is a ridiculously terrible take. He’s literally out performing NHL players on his own team and playing well at 18 against fully grown men who are far from bad hockey players. This is a better competition by far than any other competition that any other 2021 prospect has played this year. Better than NCAA, u18’s, CHL, SHL, etc.

Just because it doesn’t have as many good top end NHL players doesn’t mean it’s a bad tournament especially when you compare it to what prospects play against most of the draft year.
If Owen Power doesnt end up better than Collin Miller, ill eat my pants

Im not taking anything from this other than hes a big guy whos talented and projected a top-5 pick

him sucking would be meaningful. Him doing well is not really noteworthy since hes expected to.

Reactions: Auto Pilot

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If Owen Power doesnt end up better than Collin Miller, ill eat my pants

Im not taking anything from this other than hes a big guy whos talented and projected a top-5 pick

him sucking would be meaningful. Him doing well is not really noteworthy since hes expected to.
Owen Power is 18 man. This isn’t his end result.

This is the best competition him or any other prospect in this draft has played so I don’t get how you can say him doing well is meaningless. What you’re saying makes 0 sense. Was him doing well with Michigan meaningless because that wasn’t close to as strong of competition. He’s done better than some top prospects did at the u18s which isn’t even a comparable level of competition.

Who expected him to do this well at this event. He started on the 4th pairing and didn’t even get a shift in the first period. Now because of how well he has done he runs their top power play and is one of their top guys in ice time.

At this rate he has solidified himself as the #1 pick in this tournament and I would be very surprised if he doesn’t go #1.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Owen Power is 18 man. This isn’t his end result.

This is the best competition him or any other prospect in this draft has played so I don’t get how you can say him doing well is meaningless. What you’re saying makes 0 sense. Was him doing well with Michigan meaningless because that wasn’t close to as strong of competition. He’s done better than some top prospects did at the u18s which isn’t even a comparable level of competition.

Who expected him to do this well at this event. He started on the 4th pairing and didn’t even get a shift in the first period. Now because of how well he has done he runs their top power play and is one of their top guys in ice time.

At this rate he has solidified himself as the #1 pick in this tournament and I would be very surprised if he doesn’t go #1.
I never said this was Power's end game; Im saying hes practically better than Collin Miller at 18, so why am I supposed to be impressed by this?

and Theres no chance these teams are better than KHL/SHL teams

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I never said this was Power's end game; Im saying hes practically better than Collin Miller at 18, so why am I supposed to be impressed by this?

and Theres no chance these teams are better than KHL/SHL teams
Yes Power being better than an established NHL defencemen in his prime is very impressive. Most other prospects didn’t even make it to this tournament and the other notable one in Beniers hasn’t done anything other than play as the 13th forward and get scratched.

It depends on the team but the majority are better than pretty much all SHL teams and a lot of KHL teams. Overall it’s definitely a better competition. He did well against the US who have more NHL players than not and some good ones too. No question they are better than any SHL or KHL team.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Yes Power being better than an established NHL defencemen in his prime is very impressive. Most other prospects didn’t even make it to this tournament and the other notable one in Beniers hasn’t done anything other than play as the 13th forward and get scratched.

It depends on the team but the majority are better than pretty much all SHL teams and a lot of KHL teams. Overall it’s definitely a better competition. He did well against the US who have more NHL players than not and some good ones too. No question they are better than any SHL or KHL team.
If you plugged Owen Power into every single NHL team's bottom pair, hed do well no matter the team

Hes a 6'5" 215 dman with reach and smarts. Why is it considered a shock when Power does well in some raggedy tournament where most invitees didnt even give second thought, versus next year if he does well as the #1 overall pick playing NHL games?

NHL games have 1000x the talent and I, as well as most pundits, are saying hed Do well in his first season and can play D+1. So why exactly is it a shock that hes doing well now?

this likely doesnt affect his stock much. He could have not been invited and no one would have thought twice about it; whereas when hes taken in the draft, I bet the team that gets him's fans expect him to play in the NHL right away.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
If you plugged Owen Power into every single NHL team's bottom pair, hed do well no matter the team

Hes a 6'5" 215 dman with reach and smarts. Why is it considered a shock when Power does well in some raggedy tournament where most invitees didnt even give second thought, versus next year if he does well as the #1 overall pick playing NHL games?

NHL games have 1000x the talent and I, as well as most pundits, are saying hed Do well in his first season and can play D+1. So why exactly is it a shock that hes doing well now?

this likely doesnt affect his stock much. He could have not been invited and no one would have thought twice about it; whereas when hes taken in the draft, I bet the team that gets him's fans expect him to play in the NHL right away.
Most pundits have not been saying they expect him to play next year so I don’t know where you got that from. The general view has been that he could but it depends on the team and he could go back to Michigan for a year. I think he’s showing it and for some people confirming that he can play next year.

But as I said I don’t get how you can say it’s meaningless. His whole season has been meaningless than because it is certainly better than NCAA hockey. It will be very good if he does well in NHL games next year as well.

It’s also not just like he’s keeping up or just doing okay. He’s standing out and contributing to the offence. If hockey Canada didn’t think he was good enough to invite him it wouldn’t matter but if they did and he didn’t standout like he has that would hurt his stock?

It’s one tournament so it only means so much but it’s the best competition he’s played and he’s doing really well. He was already the favourite to go number 1 and I don’t think that would change even if he struggled but performing as well as he has performed has certainly solidified him as the top prospect in the draft IMO

Also no one is saying it’s a shock that he’s doing well. He’s just solidifying his standing as the top prospect.

Last edited:

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
Most pundits have not been saying they expect him to play next year so I don’t know where you got that from. The general view has been that he could but it depends on the team and he could go back to Michigan for a year. I think he’s showing it and for some people confirming that he can play next year.

But as I said I don’t get how you can say it’s meaningless. His whole season has been meaningless than because it is certainly better than NCAA hockey. It will be very good if he does well in NHL games next year as well.

It’s also not just like he’s keeping up or just doing okay. He’s standing out and contributing to the offence. If hockey Canada didn’t think he was good enough to invite him it wouldn’t matter but if they did and he didn’t standout like he has that would hurt his stock?

It’s one tournament so it only means so much but it’s the best competition he’s played and he’s doing really well. He was already the favourite to go number 1 and I don’t think that would change even if he struggled but performing as well as he has performed has certainly solidified him as the top prospect in the draft IMO

Also no one is saying it’s a shock that he’s doing well. He’s just solidifying his standing as the top prospect.
Meaningless to his draft stock*

obviously this is great to see him continue his good play. Im simply stating I dont think theres some jump in competition like youre stating, especially claiming its better than other pro leagues in Europe

edit: This tournament could only have hurt his draft stock IMO

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Meaningless to his draft stock*

obviously this is great to see him continue his good play. Im simply stating I dont think theres some jump in competition like youre stating, especially claiming its better than other pro leagues in Europe
There is clearly a jump in competition(definitely from NCAA) Most of the teams are made up of their best players from leagues in Europe and the better ones have varying amounts and levels of NHL players. Some countries are probably weaker than some leagues in Europe but most aren’t.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
My only issue is I don't think Power will be the best player from this draft. Would've been real nice to be in on the lottery with Shane Wright or the year of Michkov/Bedard =/
Hopefully this team is nowhere near lottery in those draft years. Next year might be another lottery year though (possibly).

Reactions: nugg

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

This is with him only playing 8 minutes in the 1st game. Today he played 26:05 which was by far the most on Canada. Next best was 22:00.

Reactions: My3Sons

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Theres no chance these teams are better than KHL/SHL teams

With the possible exception of the top two or three teams in Russia and Sweden and bottom teams like Great Britain or Italy there is no comparison between the talent level in club hockey and the national teams (even if there are fewer NHL players than in some years).

Even the clubs that have shied away from NHL players such as Sweden and Finland are veritable all-star teams.

If you look at the top scorers in both the KHL and SHL (particularly the latter) most peaked in the AHL or had a cup of coffee at most in the NHL.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Who do you guys think Fitz will get for a backup or 1b goalie ? It will not be one of the crap ones we had this season and you could tell by the end of season media availability that Fitz was kicked in the nutts by Crawford retiring . He knows the importance of a good backup but could t really react I time this last season .

I also think we are in for a very interesting off-season .
I know in the past offer sheets carried little to no weight but I think offer sheets might actually finally come into play.
Friedman said as much on the Fan 960 Calgary. The nhl has yet to release the newest compensation amounts for different offer sheet dollar figures. He thinks they will be the best favouring the team offering than they have ever been . It will be interesting to see what the compensation will be this year.
Last off-season it was rumoured that the Devils management and organization was planning on going the offer sheet route. I cannot remember his name (Reid?) said he was interviewed for the Devils GM job and they brought up wanting to offer sheet players during his interview.
I would t mind tossing a 10 mil per offer in on Pettersson and seeing what happens

I would not be surprised if we take a run at someone like a Hamilton or bigger name player. Either through trade of UFA or even offer sheet .
Fitz and the players all said they realize where they are as a team and now need to start winning more.I think Fitz adds some higher caliber players to supplement the kids and they take the next step.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I'm just here for the wallstedt, goalie in the first round discussion. When do we get to that?

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Did a mock draft the other day with a few other people. Was pretty fun. Ended up with the players below.

1st Round
LD Luke Hughes
LW Isak Rosen

2nd Round
RD Scott Morrow

4th Round
LD Shai Buium
C Jack O'Brien

5th Round
LW James Hardie

6th Round
RD Bryce Montogmery

7th Round
C Matvei Averochkin

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Did a mock draft the other day with a few other people. Was pretty fun. Ended up with the players below.

1st Round
LD Luke Hughes
LW Isak Rosen

2nd Round
RD Scott Morrow

4th Round
LD Shai Buium
C Jack O'Brien

5th Round
LW James Hardie

6th Round
RD Bryce Montogmery

7th Round
C Matvei Averochkin

Thats a lot of commitment to go seven rounds.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

1st Round
LD Luke Hughes
LW Isak Rosen

2nd Round
RD Scott Morrow

4th Round
LD Shai Buium
C Jack O'Brien

5th Round
LW James Hardie

6th Round
RD Bryce Montogmery

7th Round
C Matvei Averochkin

In love with the first two picks. Could solve so many needs.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
It’s all about the Sebastian Cossa bandwagon here baby!

Cossa or Wallstedt in the first round, even with pick number 6, would not be a terrible idea if we could somehow manage to trade for one of the better players on the market. Holtz should definitely be on the table while people still think COVID has something to do with the fact that he hasn’t produced as he should for someone drafted where he was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad