Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I think in a re-draft, Mukhamadullin goes around the end of the first round, maybe 10-12 picks after the Devils took him, which is not so bad. You'd have to figure certain names move ahead of him, like Faber, Niemela, Lapierre, Bordeleau, Peterka, Gunler and Mysak.

I'm still annoyed at passing on Lapierre.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I was hoping like hell for him too but I can’t blame Fitz on that. He is fighting for his job to be made permanent and probably has a very short leash with how disappointed our owners are with missing playoffs for as often as we have .
He made the somewhat safer pick thinking Muk could at least be a bottom 5/6d .
If Lapierre turned out to be like a Nolan Patrick who is always hurt it would slow the rebuild.
I agree with being patient and doing the rebuild the right way but ya it would have been nice to have Lapierre knowing what we do now about him.

Last edited:

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I was hoping like hell for him too but I can’t blame Fitz on that. He is fighting for his job to be made permanent and probably has a very short leash with how disappointed our owners are with missing playoffs for as often as we have .
He made the somewhat safer pick thinking Muk could at least be a bottom 5/6d .
If Lapierre turned out to be like a Nolan Patrick who is always hurt it would slow the rebuild.
I agree with being patient and doing the rebuild the right way but ya it would have been nice to have Lapierre knowing what we do now about him.

What do we know about him now that we didn't then? Honest question. I haven't paid any attention to him since we didn't draft him. I just really wanted him at the draft.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What do we know about him now that we didn't then? Honest question. I haven't paid any attention to him since we didn't draft him. I just really wanted him at the draft.
I haven’t watched him either. All I know is that he got cut from Canada’s stacked world junior team and he put up some decent but not spectacular numbers in the QMJHL. Doesn’t seem like he’s taken off in any way but maybe I’ve missed something or he’s been playing really well.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I might be mistaken but he was putting up huge numbers in junior but had a neck injury that scared some teams off .

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I might be mistaken but he was putting up huge numbers in junior but had a neck injury that scared some teams off .
Injury troubles were part of his problem but he never even produced over a point per game which isn’t very good. He only had 2 goals in 19 games in his draft year but he might’ve struggled to get going because of his injuries.

This season he produced at about 1.5 ppg with 31 points and 8 goals in 21 games. That’s decent but nothing spectacular. Others that went ahead of him produced much better then that in their draft years.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I haven’t watched him either. All I know is that he got cut from Canada’s stacked world junior team and he put up some decent but not spectacular numbers in the QMJHL. Doesn’t seem like he’s taken off in any way but maybe I’ve missed something or he’s been playing really well.
His points were fine but he already had a rep for being pass happy and he only had 8 goals in 21 games, along with 23 assists. That’s still 1.48 points per game, versus Mercer’s 1.57 points per game. Hendrix did score more in playoffs, he had 5 goals and 7 assists in 9 games. (Versus Mercer’s 6 goals and 11 assists.)

At the time, I would have taken Mavrik Bourque over Lapierre with that pick if I taking a forward, I wasn’t hoping for Hendrix in particular when I shocked by the Muk pick. So he wasn’t the obvious choice for everyone. I also thought Fitz would likely reach for a defenseman with the 3rd pick if we didn’t get one of the top D prospects with the first two. I was just expecting a different defenseman.

He had an excellent 2018-19 season and then a big performance at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, where he was 2nd in scoring after Perfetti, which made him a hot prospect pegged for the top half of the 1st round.

Then injuries completely tanked his 2019-20 season: 19 GP 2G 15A 17 points. But the delay of the 2020 draft revived his draft stock, the QMJHL season had started and not only did Lapierre show he was healthy enough to play, he also scored 3 of his 8 regular season goals in the two games before the draft. (He had a total of 5 points in those games, 3G 2A.) That was enough to get him into the 1st round. He didn’t quite keep that torrid scoring up though.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
also thought Fitz would likely reach for a defenseman with the 3rd pick if we didn’t get one of the top D prospects with the first two. I was just expecting a different defenseman
I thought there was a good chance we would take a d too but was not expecting him. I was hoping for Schneider or Barron. After New York jumped up to take Schneider I was hoping for Barron who I didn’t think was really much of a reach there.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I thought there was a good chance we would take a d too but was not expecting him. I was hoping for Schneider or Barron. After New York jumped up to take Schneider I was hoping for Barron who I didn’t think was really much of a reach there.
Barron had missed time because of blood clots which is also something that ends careers. I don’t know much about blood clots though. Not that I know much about medicine in general but I really don’t know anything about blood clots so I don’t know how to judge the future risks with those. Barron went 25th so the Avs weren’t too worried about it.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Had we gone forward at 20, I wanted Jacob Perreault but, with taking 2 RW prior, he was ruled out so my next crush was Ridly Greig. Ryan O'Rourke was the LHD I thought we'd go with there. Mookie was completely off my board at that pick but I understood the pick. Wasn't happy with Holtz or Mookie, was over the moon with Mercer.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
His points were fine but he already had a rep for being pass happy and he only had 8 goals in 21 games, along with 23 assists. That’s still 1.48 points per game, versus Mercer’s 1.57 points per game. Hendrix did score more in playoffs, he had 5 goals and 7 assists in 9 games. (Versus Mercer’s 6 goals and 11 assists.)

At the time, I would have taken Mavrik Bourque over Lapierre with that pick if I taking a forward, I wasn’t hoping for Hendrix in particular when I shocked by the Muk pick. So he wasn’t the obvious choice for everyone. I also thought Fitz would likely reach for a defenseman with the 3rd pick if we didn’t get one of the top D prospects with the first two. I was just expecting a different defenseman.

He had an excellent 2018-19 season and then a big performance at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup, where he was 2nd in scoring after Perfetti, which made him a hot prospect pegged for the top half of the 1st round.

Then injuries completely tanked his 2019-20 season: 19 GP 2G 15A 17 points. But the delay of the 2020 draft revived his draft stock, the QMJHL season had started and not only did Lapierre show he was healthy enough to play, he also scored 3 of his 8 regular season goals in the two games before the draft. (He had a total of 5 points in those games, 3G 2A.) That was enough to get him into the 1st round. He didn’t quite keep that torrid scoring up though.

Mavrik Bourque would have given the Devils three likely RWs with their three first-round picks, since Bourque is unlikely to translate as an NHL center. This was why I dropped Perreault off my wish list once the Devils took Holtz and Mercer.

Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Barron had a very tough draft-eligible season, and teams wondered whether it was the injuries or regression. I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting him at a late-first round draft position, just that this was probably the impetus for several teams passing on him.

Reactions: DevilsfanfromCanada

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Had we gone forward at 20, I wanted Jacob Perreault but, with taking 2 RW prior, he was ruled out so my next crush was Ridly Greig. Ryan O'Rourke was the LHD I thought we'd go with there. Mookie was completely off my board at that pick but I understood the pick. Wasn't happy with Holtz or Mookie, was over the moon with Mercer.

I recall leaning towards Faber and Khusnutdinov at #20.

Reactions: Guttersniped

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'd say the biggest post-first round risers from the 2020 draft are both RD -- Brock Faber and Topi Niemela. This hurts a bit as a Devils fan since I had them both ranked far higher than where they were actually drafted and the Devils have such a profound need at RD.

Reactions: nugg

Figgie

Apr 24, 2018
Finland
I'd say the biggest post-first round risers from the 2020 draft are both RD -- Brock Faber and Topi Niemela. This hurts a bit as a Devils fan since I had them both ranked far higher than where they were actually drafted and the Devils have such a profound need at RD.

Ruben Rafkin would have also been good pick in later rounds but no one did not select him. He played pretty solid season in Liiga and his team made to finals.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

listed on the 4th pairing with Schneider again but gotta think he’ll definitely play more this game

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
2 thoughts different topics:

1) The weirdness of the 2020 draft heavily favored certain players. I don’t think the Wings would of drafted Raymond 4th in June. Muk would probably be 3/4th rounder and who knows if that other Russian would even be drafted. I’m curious, if the Devils had a scoop. Besides his scoring/playing time in the KHL, Muk was heavily featured in all major tournaments, and was mostly successful. (I would have him even higher in a redraft, on playing time alone). Lastly, the Devils have a plan to bring him over after next season. The kid is ready to job out.

2) Luke Hughes, there is some rumors going around his injuries might effect his greatest assets. (Did he have a foot laceration, that cut tendons?) He isn’t like Quinn. He is like a 4th forward. He is very similar to Jack, when it comes to passing and movement. His transitions are insanity, but some question if that will translate into to the NHL. It will put a lot of pressure on the forwards. Lastly if his injuries are more serious that could move him into the boom/bust territory. This is speculation but more and more people are bringing up his injury.

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
2 thoughts different topics:

1) The weirdness of the 2020 draft heavily favored certain players. I don’t think the Wings would of drafted Raymond 4th in June. Muk would probably be 3/4th rounder and who knows if that other Russian would even be drafted. I’m curious, if the Devils had a scoop. Besides his scoring/playing time in the KHL, Muk was heavily featured in all major tournaments, and was mostly successful. (I would have him even higher in a redraft, on playing time alone). Lastly, the Devils have a plan to bring him over after next season. The kid is ready to job out.

2) Luke Hughes, there is some rumors going around his injuries might effect his greatest assets. (Did he have a foot laceration, that cut tendons?) He isn’t like Quinn. He is like a 4th forward. He is very similar to Jack, when it comes to passing and movement. His transitions are insanity, but some question if that will translate into to the NHL. It will put a lot of pressure on the forwards. Lastly if his injuries are more serious that could move him into the boom/bust territory. This is speculation but more and more people are bringing up his injury.
Is there a source on Mukahamdullin coming over sooner rather than later? Or maybe even the team saying theyd prefer that?

not that I dont believe you but as soon as we drafted him I said 'see ya in four or five years Mr Mukh', and so if true this is a pleasant surprise. Him on NA ice earlier than not is a huge plus for him, a player learning the details of his position (he transitioned from forward not too long ago)

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
Is there a source on Mukahamdullin coming over sooner rather than later? Or maybe even the team saying theyd prefer that?

not that I dont believe you but as soon as we drafted him I said 'see ya in four or five years Mr Mukh', and so if true this is a pleasant surprise. Him on NA ice earlier than not is a huge plus for him, a player learning the details of his position (he transitioned from forward not too long ago)

I think Fitz mentioned that he resigned with the KHL for one more year. And expect him to in the AHL/NHL the following season.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Goomba

Mario is a Devils fan
May 7, 2021
I think in a re-draft, Mukhamadullin goes around the end of the first round, maybe 10-12 picks after the Devils took him, which is not so bad. You'd have to figure certain names move ahead of him, like Faber, Niemela, Lapierre, Bordeleau, Peterka, Gunler and Mysak.
Id argue Mukhamadullin, by virtue of being a project pick filling into size and a new role after transitioning from Forward, has a higher ceiling than those guys. Just a lesser likelihood he reaches it

Reactions: TheDuke93

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Id argue Mukhamadullin, by virtue of being a project pick filling into size and a new role after transitioning from Forward, has a higher ceiling than those guys. Just a lesser likelihood he reaches it
I’m don’t think his ceiling is that high but that’s just my opinion.
What’s this about him transitioning from forward? I’ve never heard that anywhere before, where’d you hear that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad