Prospect Info: 2021 NHL Draft Prospects - part II

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I wanted McTavish for my 2nd pick..but he was already gone. I doubt Lysell falls that low to our pick, but hey who knows!

:laugh:And since I took Hughes, I just had to pick up Morrow so we can get more RD in the pipeline
I didn't know much about Morrow but that is exactly the type of defensmen I like to draft. Weak competition/Elite Skater/Good Size.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Just two days until the draft lottery. Hopefully things will become clearer when we know the draft order and we can project picks with more confidence. I’m not expecting the Devils to jump to 1 or 2. I’m expecting 5, will be pleased with 4...and 6...that would not be good...at all (if you want a big 3 D-man the way I do). After missing out on Drysdale by one spot last year, it would be gut wrenching to see it happen again.

Reactions: nugg and mdj12784

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Just two days until the draft lottery. Hopefully things will become clearer when we know the draft order and we can project picks with more confidence. I’m not expecting the Devils to jump to 1 or 2. I’m expecting 5, will be pleased with 4...and 6...that would not be good...at all (if you want a big 3 D-man the way I do). After missing out on Drysdale by one spot last year, it would be gut wrenching to see it happen again.
I think it’s still extremely likely one of those d is there at 6

Reactions: Devs3cups

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I haven't ruled out that we would actually trade up just to ensure that we get Hughes

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
There is no elite defensemen in this year's draft. Why not take a swing at Wallstedt?
I have never been convinced with Blackwood to lead this team deep into a playoff run. Wallstedt reminds me a lot of Marty. A butterfly goalie with size who is very calm under pressure.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There is no elite defensemen in this year's draft. Why not take a swing at Wallstedt?
I have never been convinced with Blackwood to lead this team deep into a playoff run. Wallstedt reminds me a lot of Marty. A butterfly goalie with size who is very calm under pressure.
Ummm wasn’t Marty a lot more of a stand up goalie? That’s what I always saw him as.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

HUH?

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
To be like Marty at the draft, you actually can’t be the top ranked goalie.

The top goalie taken that year likely wasn’t as good as the second or third taken.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Cossa or Wallstedt in the first round, even with pick number 6, would not be a terrible idea if we could somehow manage to trade for one of the better players on the market. Holtz should definitely be on the table while people still think COVID has something to do with the fact that he hasn’t produced as he should for someone drafted where he was.

The optimism of the HF Boards crowd. Playing in a men's league as an 18-year-old and slumping makes a player a bust.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't know much about Morrow but that is exactly the type of defensmen I like to draft. Weak competition/Elite Skater/Good Size.

Well, it worked with Cale Makar but not so much with Dennis Cholowski.

But we all knew about Makar being a top 10 pick -- he also excelled in international competition -- while Morrow's future is a bit murkier. His upside is certainly palpable due to a terrific size/skating/skill package -- but his play to date has certainly lacked the high-end passing/hockey IQ combination which all top NHL defensemen seem to possess.

I would certainly consider Morrow in the second round due to the potential -- as well as the potentiality that some of his flaws are more due to playing vs. far inferior competition which has him somewhat bored. He's going to a very, very good UMass program in the NCAA next year, so Morrow certainly has the ability to take off in his development.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
To be like Marty at the draft, you actually can’t be the top ranked goalie.

The top goalie taken that year likely wasn’t as good as the second or third taken.

Devils traded down with Calgary in 1990. Hilariously, the Flames were trading up because they really, really wanted a goalie -- Trevor Kidd. I think 4 or 5 picks later the Devils took Martin Brodeur.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

This is actually a very good draft at the top for the specific purpose of drafting a potentially elite defenseman.

If the 2021 draft can be called good for two things, it's LD and LW -- both of which have a ton of talent, both in terms of high-end and depth.

Reactions: Darkauron

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
I know the draft lottery is tomorrow, but do we actually know when? I cannot find any time listed. Do we know if it will be its own telecast or will it be during the intermission of a playoff game like they did in 2015?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I know the draft lottery is tomorrow, but do we actually know when? I cannot find any time listed. Do we know if it will be its own telecast or will it be during the intermission of a playoff game like they did in 2015?
It’s at 7pm but other than that I have no clue what’s going on

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I'd assume it'll be on the NHL Network?

EDIT: Just checked their listings and didn't see any mention of the Draft Lottery for tomorrow.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020

I'd assume it'll be on the NHL Network?

EDIT: Just checked their listings and didn't see any mention of the Draft Lottery for tomorrow.
It’s listed on Sportsnet in Canada. It’s happening at the NHL Network studio so you think they would have it.

Reactions: Nocashstyle

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Devils traded down with Calgary in 1990. Hilariously, the Flames were trading up because they really, really wanted a goalie -- Trevor Kidd. I think 4 or 5 picks later the Devils took Martin Brodeur.

Kidd went #11 overall (one pick ahead of future Devil Turner Stevenson). Marty went #20 overall. The next goalie after him was Felix Potvin. Good job Calgary.:laugh:

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3