Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Post Lottery Edition

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
So pissed today. Lou screws another draft for us. I guess I should be used to this...

It’s the double whammy. We get screwed on the first round pick from the Palmieri trade and now our second round pick from the Greene deal slides back significantly. Brutal.

I will say this though- while we were angry about Arizona’s draft pick sliding last year, we did draft Mercer at 18. I doubt the Devils would have taken him at 9 or 10. Time will tell if what happened was a blessing in disguise. With that said, it was probably an anomaly....falling back 10 or 11 spots now really stinks.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
With the junior seasons shortened or done away with it played under weird circumstances you expect talent to be available through the top two rounds. Whether NJ will recognize it will be the issue. Pick four is a good starting point and my own personal preference would be to trade down from the NYI pick to get a couple of seconds to try to grab two of those right handed defense prospects you outlined. NJ needs to build prospect depth at LW and RD so extra picks will help. On balance staying out at four is probably more important than the NYI pick falling.

Every year I feel there's a potential high-level, potential superstar forward who is not getting the attention he deserves, and this year I would say it is Isak Rosen. I am completely at a loss how a kid with elite skating and stick handling who also displays high-end passing and shooting skills is regularly ranked outside the top 20 or even 25. Rosen adds to this a fierce compete level, a high hockey IQ and very good defensive play. He's potentially a weapon in every zone and in transition, on the PP and PK.

I feel the reasons Rosen has been overlooked by the draft consensus may be purely superficial. He's very small, physically immature at 5'11-155. When he takes off his helmet, he looks 14 years old, and I don't feel I'm exaggerating. So, I feel the natural propensity for some weaker draft analysts and scouts is to feel he's he's not as much of a hockey player as a kid who might have lesser abilities, but muscles and a beard. It sounds silly even to write, but we can't rule out certain elements of psychology with the NHL Draft. Certainly, his physical immaturity combined with the pandemic forcing him to play out of league in the Swedish men's circuit contributed to his poor statistical output this season. Had he played in the Swedish U20? I feel Rosen would have dominated. The evidence for this was in the U-18 tournament, where I felt Isak was the best player for Team Sweden in the tournament -- even better than his most similar 2021 draft comparable, the universally higher-rated Fabian Lysell.

If I had to compare Rosen to a current NHL-er, it would be Nikolai Ehlers, whom I feel this year made the jump into the elite range for NHL forwards. It is my conviction that Rosen could be a point-per-game, top-line star who is electrifying every time he touches the puck in space. I also feel his likely draft position is the #25-#32 range, giving the Devils a reasonable chance of getting him. Though he lacks the ultra-elite shot of an Alexander Holtz and the ability to dominate a 200-foot game like Dawson Mercer, I feel a kid like Rosen would immediately have the most comprehensive pure scoring upside of all Devils prospects. I'm all in on this kid.

But again, I don't want to make it seem like it's probable he will be available with the #29-#32 pick. The correct word would be possible. So I suppose we have to temper our expectations and simply hope.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Every year I feel there's a potential high-level, potential superstar forward who is not getting the attention he deserves, and this year I would say it is Isak Rosen. I am completely at a loss how a kid with elite skating and stick handling who also displays high-end passing and shooting skills is regularly ranked outside the top 20 or even 25. Rosen adds to this a fierce compete level, a high hockey IQ and very good defensive play. He's potentially a weapon in every zone and in transition, on the PP and PK.

I feel the reasons Rosen has been overlooked by the draft consensus may be purely superficial. He's very small, physically immature at 5'11-155. When he takes off his helmet, he looks 14 years old, and I don't feel I'm exaggerating. So, I feel the natural propensity for some weaker draft analysts and scouts is to feel he's he's not as much of a hockey player as a kid who might have lesser abilities, but muscles and a beard. It sounds silly even to write, but we can't rule out certain elements of psychology with the NHL Draft. Certainly, his physical immaturity combined with the pandemic forcing him to play out of league in the Swedish men's circuit contributed to his poor statistical output this season. Had he played in the Swedish U20? I feel Rosen would have dominated. The evidence for this was in the U-18 tournament, where I felt Isak was the best player for Team Sweden in the tournament -- even better than his most similar 2021 draft comparable, the universally higher-rated Fabian Lysell.

If I had to compare Rosen to a current NHL-er, it would be Nikolai Ehlers, whom I feel this year made the jump into the elite range for NHL forwards. It is my conviction that Rosen could be a point-per-game, top-line star who is electrifying every time he touches the puck in space. I also feel his likely draft position is the #25-#32 range, giving the Devils a reasonable chance of getting him. Though he lacks the ultra-elite shot of an Alexander Holtz and the ability to dominate a 200-foot game like Dawson Mercer, I feel a kid like Rosen would immediately have the most comprehensive pure scoring upside of all Devils prospects. I'm all in on this kid.

But again, I don't want to make it seem like it's probable he will be available with the #29-#32 pick. The correct word would be possible. So I suppose we have to temper our expectations and simply hope.

There will always be some scouts biased against a smaller slighter framed player. Presumably some team will see the skill and pick him even if it is in the second round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It sucks big time . First with the Preds being complexly inept and los8g to the Coyotes now this year with the Islanders .....
My hope is that with the 25-30 all the players like Othmann and Ceuleman are long gone and we take Cossa and not have the chance to regret on passing on a as none really we lie at that spot .
Cossa is going to be a stud . Athletic , composed , quick 6’7” goalie that reminds me a lot of Ben Bishop .... yes please !!
I just hope he’s there when we pick but I doubt it

The Coyotes pick turned into Dawson Mercer, whom I now rank as our top prospect. So, I have no regrets there.

I don't see Cossa getting past the Edmonton pick.

I'm going to write a lot about Isak Rosen, who is my big hope now with the Islanders pick. Nikita Chibrikov is another kid I really like here, and Francesco Pinelli is a player I absolutely am bullish on who could potentially fall. I feel Scott Morrow is now a strong possibility -- he's got a lot of risk and reward for RD, but I'm a bit worried about passing up a high-end forward for a project D.

DevilDog

The Original Dog
Mar 2, 2007
Dirty Jerz
It’s the double whammy. We get screwed on the first round pick from the Palmieri trade and now our second round pick from the Greene deal slides back significantly. Brutal.

I will say this though- while we were angry about Arizona’s draft pick sliding last year, we did draft Mercer at 18. I doubt the Devils would have taken him at 9 or 10. Time will tell if what happened was a blessing in disguise. With that said, it was probably an anomaly....falling back 10 or 11 spots now really stinks.

Yes good point if you look at both picks together last nights win cost us over 20 slots total! And counting!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
L’heureux is intriguing since this team needs some more teeth and nails so badly. If he can be focused and use his aggression intelligently and chip in relatively well offensively, it would be awesome.

I'm actually a fan of L'Heureux, but he has yet to show the ability to contain his aggression even remotely. But if he puts it all together and straightens up his head a bit, he has the potential of a Matt Tkachuk-lite -- think 25-goals on your second line and playing a physical, incendiary game.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sooooo Steven,
Now that we are here, is Morrow under consideration by you? Really liked your rhds in the 2nd, is moving down for more, better than taking a crack at morrow? Thanks for all of your work here!

I would pass on Morrow, although I might regret it in the future.

My reasoning is such -- I feel due to the numbers game, at least one high-end F will fall to the #29-#32 range. My big hope would be Rosen, but Pinelli and Chibrikov are not too far behind. Or maybe someone unexpected shocks us and falls, like an Aatu Raty or Fyodor Svechkov.

The one RD who could fall this far -- because Ceulemans certainly will not -- who would entice me over a high end forward is not Morrow, but rather Aleksi Heimosalmi. This kid is extremely smart and has shown some dynamic abilities with the puck. He's good defensively despite lacking great size or elite skating, he does it with his head and his terrific passing/puckhandling abilities. I really like him.

Also, we can't rule out my personal fave Stanislav Svozil. This kid has everything you need to become a high-end, mid-pairing LD who shuts down the opposition while giving you a bit of offensive and transition pop, as well. I feel if there's a Jake Slavin in the 2021 draft, it's Svozil.

Morrow has tremendous upside, there's no doubt. That kind of speed/size/skating is extremely uncommon at RD. But his overall game can be very, very frustrating. I would not despise a Morrow pick at #30 or thereabouts, but I also would not consider it ideal.

Reactions: nugg and Darkauron

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It seems through the years the bulk of the forwards drafted by NJ have been centers. It doesn't seem a stretch for them making the move to wing.

You can always move a C to W, but it is rare that you can successfully transition a W to C. If all things are even, you draft the C over the W.

This argument should also put Mackie Samoskevich on the Devils draft-day radar, but I'm a bit pressed for time now and will write more about him later.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
So pissed today. Lou screws another draft for us. I guess I should be used to this...

Haha, I blame Washington who really s--t the bed vs. the Bruins. I feel Washington would have represented a much tougher match-up for the Islanders. The Bruins were not a team I gave much of a chance to vs. a team as physical, disciplined and defensively sound as the Isles.

Reactions: DevilDog

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Given the past year I think NJ still gets someone in the mid teens on their list. I just feel every team's list will be in a blender this year. Someone like Pinelli could go and score 90+ points in the OHL next season. It is such a lottery. All we have is the under 18 where players may have been forced into roles.

Pinelli could do even better than 90 points. This kid is incredibly skilled and exciting. Before the season, I was asked on the Devils HFBoards who is the player I was most upset about not getting to watch in the CHL due to the pandemic, and my answer was Pinelli. I'm really high on this young talent.

Reactions: SYWTom

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I would pass on Morrow, although I might regret it in the future.

My reasoning is such -- I feel due to the numbers game, at least one high-end F will fall to the #29-#32 range. My big hope would be Rosen, but Pinelli and Chibrikov are not too far behind. Or maybe someone unexpected shocks us and falls, like an Aatu Raty or Fyodor Svechkov.

The one RD who could fall this far -- because Ceulemans certainly will not -- who would entice me over a high end forward is not Morrow, but rather Aleksi Heimosalmi. This kid is extremely smart and has shown some dynamic abilities with the puck. He's good defensively despite lacking great size or elite skating, he does it with his head and his terrific passing/puckhandling abilities. I really like him.

Also, we can't rule out my personal fave Stanislav Svozil. This kid has everything you need to become a high-end, mid-pairing LD who shuts down the opposition while giving you a bit of offensive and transition pop, as well. I feel if there's a Jake Slavin in the 2021 draft, it's Svozil.

Morrow has tremendous upside, there's no doubt. That kind of speed/size/skating is extremely uncommon at RD. But his overall game can be very, very frustrating. I would not despise a Morrow pick at #30 or thereabouts, but I also would not consider it ideal.
Great response, thx

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Another guy I'm going to write about again soon is Logan Stankoven, who is just a tremendous maximum effort guy with tremendous scoring skill, but he is often overlooked for the usual reasons of small stature/lack of elite skating. But if there's a Alex DeBrincat in the 2021 draft, it's either Stankoven or Matthew Coronato.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Is their a Jacob Perreault type prospect in this year's draft that is probably valued at mid teens per talent but will likely fall towards the end of the first round due to some concerns about work ethic, defensive commitment, injuries etc...

Thinking it may be Raty but would like to hear other nominations.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
Another guy I'm going to write about again soon is Logan Stankoven, who is just a tremendous maximum effort guy with tremendous scoring skill, but he is often overlooked for the usual reasons of small stature/lack of elite skating. But if there's a Alex DeBrincat in the 2021 draft, it's either Stankoven or Matthew Coronato.

tremendous name too

Reactions: trufleshufle13

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015

So happy you mentioned him. I know smaller wingers aren't exactly the Devils biggest need, but if he's still on the board I'd be thrilled to see us take him with the Isles 1st.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Pinelli could do even better than 90 points. This kid is incredibly skilled and exciting. Before the season, I was asked on the Devils HFBoards who is the player I was most upset about not getting to watch in the CHL due to the pandemic, and my answer was Pinelli. I'm really high on this young talent.

I would buy a Pinelli jersey for sure. I think he would have been 1C in Kitchener this year, could have been a monster. So much potential, even 2020 playoffs I thought he had potential to be that second line weapon as a 16y0

yes I’m biased haha, I’m a KITCHENER Rangers fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad