Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Post Lottery Edition

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Mailloux/Bar/Iorio are all big, mobile defense-first guys who also have intriguing puck skills and could be very good mid-pairing RD.

Iorio has markedly improved for the Brandon Wheat Kings in the past two years, and was really hurt in terms of exposure by losing most of the 2020-21 WHL season. In a full schedule, he was on pace for a 15 goal/40+ point season, while being the shut-down guy on the back end for his team. He's 6'3-195 and has improved his skating to the point where it can be considered an asset. He's really smart with the puck and solid defensively, but what I really like about him is his high development curve over the past two years. When he first joined Brandon in 2018-19 I thought of him as a intriguing guy, who could maybe be a late round pick one day if he put it all together and improved his skating. Two years later, his skating has exponentially improved, his game and confidence have followed suit, and I think he's a very good pick for the second round.

Mailloux is extremely intriguing -- he is both bigger (6'3-215) and faster than Iorio, with a better shot and I would say higher offensive upside. He's got a nastier streak than Iorio and he's capable of flashy moves and plays with the puck. However, Mailloux is prone to mistakes which Iorio does not make and turnovers which Iorio does not make. I'd say with coaching and development, Mailloux's upside is pretty high -- maybe even first-round caliber. But you're taking that with the knowledge that right now, he is not as good as Iorio or Bar.

Speaking of Jack Bar, I just love the kid. He's good at everything, and plays in any situation. You just stick him out there and don't worry for a thing. He skates well, passes well, shoots well, defends well, competes well, thinks the game well, you name it. PP or PK, protecting a lead or coming back, you put him out there and he performs. He's 6'3-190 and the classic jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. I see him ideally as the perfect second pairing RD compliment to whatever type of guy you have on LD.

Scott Morrow is a very, very difficult player to project. He's going to go early -- 6'2-200 RD with near-elite skating and high-end puck skills are just very rare and very coveted by NHL front offices. But without tearing apart the nuances, let's just say he's a frustrating kid to watch because his compete level and defensive play are just so inconsistent he almost seems apathetic sometimes. When he has the puck? Damn, he's good. When he does not? Damn, he's not good. Maybe this is simply because he's playing below-level in the USHS, but you like to see a kid in his draft-eligible season improve the aspects of his game which keep him from being an automatic first-round pick, and it's tough to argue Morrow has done so. I would not say Morrow is soft, per se, but I do want to see more consistent compete out of him.

Id be happy with any of the defense first guys at RD in the second round. Maybe NJ gets lucky and they one of those guys in the second and another in the third. Build some prospect depth at RD the way they did at LD.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Mailloux/Bar/Iorio are all big, mobile defense-first guys who also have intriguing puck skills and could be very good mid-pairing RD.
Scott Morrow is a very, very difficult player to project. He's going to go early -- 6'2-200 RD with near-elite skating and high-end puck skills are just very rare and very coveted by NHL front offices. But without tearing apart the nuances, let's just say he's a frustrating kid to watch because his compete level and defensive play are just so inconsistent he almost seems apathetic sometimes. When he has the puck? Damn, he's good. When he does not? Damn, he's not good. Maybe this is simply because he's playing below-level in the USHS, but you like to see a kid in his draft-eligible season improve the aspects of his game which keep him from being an automatic first-round pick, and it's tough to argue Morrow has done so. I would not say Morrow is soft, per se, but I do want to see more consistent compete out of him.

Steven, with him going to UMASS with Carvel coming back as coach do you see that to maybe change? My kid goes to school there and it seems like he has the team buying in and on the same page. Being a Connecticut kid and seeing the D men coming out of that program maybe its exactly what the dr ordered! I cant speak to the kids ability like you can but it seems like what you and others have said his got the ability to be good, can he do it?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Steven, with him going to UMASS with Carvel coming back as coach do you see that to maybe change? My kid goes to school there and it seems like he has the team buying in and on the same page. Being a Connecticut kid and seeing the D men coming out of that program maybe its exactly what the dr ordered! I cant speak to the kids ability like you can but it seems like what you and others have said his got the ability to be good, can he do it?

Scott Morrow is tremendously talented -- he's a RD with a covetable combination of size/skating/skill. This gives him very significant potential which cannot be refuted. Also, he is going to an excellent UMass program where we can expect him to greatly develop and improve over the coming seasons.

However, it's also important to note that Morrow has had his defensive play and compete level scrutinized to a degree which may have prevented him from making any of the USA international tournament teams despite his tremendous ability.

So, Scott Morrow is a first-round level talent who could fall to the middle of the second round. He's a high-risk pick who is also potentially high-reward. But I do agree with you that the UMass program certainly makes his projection more optimistic.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Scott Morrow is tremendously talented -- he's a RD with a covetable combination of size/skating/skill. This gives him very significant potential which cannot be refuted. Also, he is going to an excellent UMass program where we can expect him to greatly develop and improve over the coming seasons.

However, it's also important to note that Morrow has had his defensive play and compete level scrutinized to a degree which may have prevented him from making any of the USA international tournament teams despite his tremendous ability.

So, Scott Morrow is a first-round level talent who could fall to the middle of the second round. He's a high-risk pick who is also potentially high-reward. But I do agree with you that the UMass program certainly makes his projection more optimistic.
Thx. One last kid: Roman Schmidt, I have read a little bit about him, does he make your radar and where if so?
I have never really paid attention to draft picks like this, thanks to you and others here who have made it interesting!

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thx. One last kid: Roman Schmidt, I have read a little bit about him, does he make your radar and where if so?
I have never really paid attention to draft picks like this, thanks to you and others here who have made it interesting!

Roman Schmidt is a really big kid who skates extremely well, and as those are the two most easily notable traits for a defenseman, he has received a lot of hype as a kid who can go very early in the second round or even the late first.

However, he's a 6'5-205 kid who can skate and still does not defend even reasonably well. To put this in perspective, when you're that kind of size and speed you have notable advantages when playing against 17 and 18 year olds. You should dominate. But Schmidt gets outworked with regularity, and his positioning and gaps need a ton of work. Offensively he's toolsy, but I haven't seen any indication that he'll pop as a point-getter at the NHL level.

I'm cautiously skeptical. Schmidt is going to a great program at Boston University. Though I'm not ranking him in my top 100, he's certainly the type of player who can figure it out in the NCAA and have impact mid-pairing potential in the NHL when he'll be a very mobile 6'5-225. I hope he does, but I cannot really recommend him with any authority, as he's sort of a kid you worry about whenever he's out there for a team you're rooting for. He just gets beat a lot by players he should be athletically dominating. But again -- yes, the potential is there.

Reactions: Smitty426

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
Got bored and did a lottery mock...

1. Buffalo Sabres - Owen Power | LHD | Michigan (Big-10)
2. Seattle Kraken - Matthew Beniers | C | Michigan (Big-10)
3. Anaheim Ducks - Luke Hughes | LHD | USNTDP (USHL)
4. New Jersey Devils - Brandt Clarke | RHD | Nove Zamsky (SVK)
5. Columbus Blue Jackets - William Eklund | LW/C | Djurgardens (SHL)
6. Detroit Red Wings - Dylan Guenther | W | Edmonton (WHL)
7. San Jose Sharks - Simon Edvinsson | LHD | Frolunda (SHL)
8. Los Angeles Kings - Jesper Wallstedt | G | Lulea (SHL)
9. Vancouver Canucks - Kent Johnson | LW | Michigan (Big-10)
10. Ottawa Senators - Mason McTavish | C | Olten (SUI)
11. Arizona Coyotes - FORFEITED
12. Chicago Blackhawks - Chaz Lucius | C | USNTDP (USHL)
13. Calgary Flames - Cole Sillinger | LW/C | Sioux Falls (USHL)
14. Philadelphia Flyers - Fabian Lysell | RW | Lulea (SHL)
15. Dallas Stars - Brennan Othmann | LW | Olten (SUI)
16. New York Rangers - Fedor Svechkov | C | Togliatti (VHL)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Got bored and did a lottery mock...

1. Buffalo Sabres - Owen Power | LHD | Michigan (Big-10)
2. Seattle Kraken - Matthew Beniers | C | Michigan (Big-10)
3. Anaheim Ducks - Luke Hughes | LHD | USNTDP (USHL)
4. New Jersey Devils - Brandt Clarke | RHD | Nove Zamsky (SVK)
5. Columbus Blue Jackets - William Eklund | LW/C | Djurgardens (SHL)
6. Detroit Red Wings - Dylan Guenther | W | Edmonton (WHL)
7. San Jose Sharks - Simon Edvinsson | LHD | Frolunda (SHL)
8. Los Angeles Kings - Jesper Wallstedt | G | Lulea (SHL)
9. Vancouver Canucks - Kent Johnson | LW | Michigan (Big-10)
10. Ottawa Senators - Mason McTavish | C | Olten (SUI)
11. Arizona Coyotes - FORFEITED
12. Chicago Blackhawks - Chaz Lucius | C | USNTDP (USHL)
13. Calgary Flames - Cole Sillinger | LW/C | Sioux Falls (USHL)
14. Philadelphia Flyers - Fabian Lysell | RW | Lulea (SHL)
15. Dallas Stars - Brennan Othmann | LW | Olten (SUI)
16. New York Rangers - Fedor Svechkov | C | Togliatti (VHL)

You almost feel bad for Arizona. McTavish, Lucius or Lysell would all be exactly what the doctor ordered for that organization. Very good mock.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sad that Cossa appears to be slipping out of our grasps with the Islanders pick.

Goalies are very volatile on draft day. Cossa has a wide range as to where he could go.

That being said, a lot of players will slip out of the Devils grasp if the Islanders beat the Bruins, which looks extremely likely right now. The Islanders pick is more likely in the 29-32 range right now, which is a huge drop from #19-#20.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Goalies are very volatile on draft day. Cossa has a wide range as to where he could go.

That being said, a lot of players will slip out of the Devils grasp if the Islanders beat the Bruins, which looks extremely likely right now. The Islanders pick is more likely in the 29-32 range right now, which is a huge drop from #19-#20.
I see Detroit at 23 being quite the road block to any Cossa thoughts.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I have to say -- although it's really tough for me to root against Greene, Zajac, Palmieri and Lamoriello -- the Islanders going to the conference finals is really going to be a punch in the gut for the Devils. Dropping from #20 (or about) to #30 (or about) is a very big drop. It basically negates the Devils chances of getting a Lambos or Othmann or Ceulemans, which really hurts.

Conversely, it's impossible to root for this Bruins team, especially after Bruce Cassidy's lamentably cry-baby presser that the Bruins were not losing because the Islanders were playing better, but rather because the refs are somehow favoring them. This -- in a series where DeBrusk got off penalty-free after a should-have-been-suspension head hit on Mayfield, Krejci was called for an obvious 5 minute spearing (to Mat Barzal's testicles!) -- somehow reduced (with no explanation... still) to a 2-minute slash, and Marchand has gotten away with 12-15 stick fouls and at least 3 blatant dives. The fact that Cassidy ended this bizarre presser with a plea for the refs to give special treatment to Patrice Bergeron because he's a star made it almost something out of the Twilight Zone.

So, I'm a bit torn. My heart says to root for the Islanders to lose so the Devils get the better pick, but my head says that the Islanders are clearly the superior team and the Bruins are making a mockery of the NHL by basically begging the refs for more help in a series which is already -- from a non-partisan point of view -- being called pretty heavily in their favor.

TZdevils

Apr 10, 2019
I have to say -- although it's really tough for me to root against Greene, Zajac, Palmieri and Lamoriello -- the Islanders going to the conference finals is really going to be a punch in the gut for the Devils. Dropping from #20 (or about) to #30 (or about) is a very big drop. It basically negates the Devils chances of getting a Lambos or Othmann or Ceulemans, which really hurts.

Conversely, it's impossible to root for this Bruins team, especially after Bruce Cassidy's lamentably cry-baby presser that the Bruins were not losing because the Islanders were playing better, but rather because the refs are somehow favoring them. This -- in a series where DeBrusk got off penalty-free after a should-have-been-suspension head hit on Mayfield, Krejci was called for an obvious 5 minute spearing (to Mat Barzal's testicles!) -- somehow reduced (with no explanation... still) to a 2-minute slash, and Marchand has gotten away with 12-15 stick fouls and at least 3 blatant dives. The fact that Cassidy ended this bizarre presser with a plea for the refs to give special treatment to Patrice Bergeron because he's a star made it almost something out of the Twilight Zone.

So, I'm a bit torn. My heart says to root for the Islanders to lose so the Devils get the better pick, but my head says that the Islanders are clearly the superior team and the Bruins are making a mockery of the NHL by basically begging the refs for more help in a series which is already -- from a non-partisan point of view -- being called pretty heavily in their favor.
Islanders are clearly the superior team??. The shots were 44-19 bruins last night. Lol

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The score was 5-4 Islanders. Shot totals were skewed by the Bruins 18-3 advantage after the Islanders were up 5-2 in the 3rd period and fell back into a defensive shell.

Sure. What are they for the series, how are the Islanders doing in shots in the series?

Islanders are getting wiped out in all the important non-goal categories. To declare them the superior team is just plain not watching the series.

Raian

Apr 19, 2021

While I understand its a hit in value and loses the chance at some choice name prospects, wouldnt this draft be the one in recent memory where falling isnt necessarily a net negative right away?

With the lack of scouting, the chances someone falls are higher than normal. Also it allows us to pick someone whos considered a 'reach' without it looking like another Mukhamadullin pick (which I still love btw)

Id also entertain trading the pick entirely. Though we did get Mercer at 18 last year

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Sure. What are they for the series, how are the Islanders doing in shots in the series?

Islanders are getting wiped out in all the important non-goal categories. To declare them the superior team is just plain not watching the series.

The Islanders are one win away from their 7th post-season series win in the last three years. The fact that skeptics keep insisting on citing ancillary analytics and stats to dismiss them as an excellent hockey team is starting to border on abject absurdity.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I dont like the islanders, but they have good coaching and they are about to (almost) go to the conference finals. So yeah regardless of what people think, they are good via the results.

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
You almost feel bad for Arizona. McTavish, Lucius or Lysell would all be exactly what the doctor ordered for that organization. Very good mock.
TBQH, I drafted how I want it to play out. I just want to avoid the whole Hughes/Clarke saga that's destined to come if both are on the board. Just want to avoid that headache as much as possible. Had a really hard time not mocking Guenther to Anaheim there with their need for goal scoring, both in the system and on the NHL club. McTavish, I wanted to put at 5 due to Columbus's massive need for a #1 C but I went Eklund due to the higher upside and feasibly seeing a team try to play him on the dot rather than "reach" for McTavish. I did leave Wallstedt the same as you since I agree 100% that the Kings are the primary landing spot for him due to their prospect pool. It's almost as obvious as Nashville was with Askarov last year. I also flipped Lysell and Sillinger from your draft simply because I could see Calgary shying away from smaller forwards after how their current roster has panned out with Johnny Hockey being their top player. Probably nothing to that but it was part of the reasoning for the flip. My Flyer fan buddy loved it tho! lol

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The score was 5-4 Islanders. Shot totals were skewed by the Bruins 18-3 advantage after the Islanders were up 5-2 in the 3rd period and fell back into a defensive shell.
The Isles had 7 shots in the 1st period vs Boston’s 11 and both teams scored goals.

Anytime a team has 9 shots and 3 are goals, it’s often somewhat due to the goaltending. After the two early goals in that period, Boston had 8 shots and NYI had 3. And then the NYI scored. And then they scored again on power play, on the next shot in the game.

And while the NYI went up 5-3, it was only 1:59 into the 3rd period and it was on their 3rd and last shot in the game. The Bruins made it 5-4 with ~5 minutes left. The defensive shell worked but the Isles not trying to score at all isn’t exactly a sign of dominance.

I thought the Bruins were clearly the better team last night, that hasn’t been true about any other ones since game one though. It’s been a reasonably evenly matched series for majority of games though Rask has been shaky for two games now and whatever “undisclosed” injury he’s nursing contributed heartily to the loss. Clutterbuck did do the Isles’ PP a favor by braining Carlo with one of his patented borderline hits in Game 3. People look down on that trade because of value but Clutterbuck does kill people on opposing team.

I do think some people are weirdly down on the Islanders though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The Islanders are one win away from their 7th post-season series win in the last three years. The fact that skeptics keep insisting on citing ancillary analytics and stats to dismiss them as an excellent hockey team is starting to border on abject absurdity.

They're an okay hockey team. They are not playing like an excellent hockey team in this year's playoffs - they've run into a cold goalie two series in a row now. They're not even playing that great defensively. They've had stretches of actual good hockey in the last year, especially in last year's playoffs - this year's playoffs are not that.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009

Let’s see them win something meaningful. The goal is not to win a round or two with fortuitous bounces while getting caved in the whole time. They aren’t an elite team and Boston has been significantly better.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Completely disgusted it is likely we are going to be screwed and 19 will become 29. Say goodbye to Othmann or Lambos. Any chance whatsoever that Rosen falls?

I hate Boston...figures that the one time I’m forced to root for those clowns, they lose. Just brutal.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Completely disgusted it is likely we are going to be screwed and 19 will become 29. Say goodbye to Othmann or Lambos. Any chance whatsoever that Rosen falls?

I hate Boston...figures that the one time I’m forced to root for those clowns, they lose. Just brutal.

Rosen could fall. I find kids who look younger than the average draft-eligible fall because of some weird psychology thing, especially if they're also on the smaller side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad