Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Post Lottery Edition

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I dont like the islanders, but they have good coaching and they are about to (almost) go to the conference finals. So yeah regardless of what people think, they are good via the results.

Despite the media rhetoric, the division was hardly the pool of death many claimed. Hard to imagine either team competing in a series with either the Lightning or whoever wins the West. Though it's a nice story, the same could be said of Montreal.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
If NJ picks Hughes I think the next step is to find some defense first right shot defenders similar to the guys they have stacking up on the left in Ok Vuk Muk and Bahl. Get some right handed versions of those players and it should all work out fine.
they could simply teach one or a few of them to hit right handed. :badidea:

Reactions: My3Sons

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Gotta start looking at players ranked around 25 to 40 now that the Islanders might be winning the series tonight...

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Rosen could fall. I find kids who look younger than the average draft-eligible fall because of some weird psychology thing, especially if they're also on the smaller side.

I’ve seen some mock drafts that have Rosen selected towards the end of round one. This feels like a punch right to the gut though. Figures Palmieri played a key role and Zajac tonight. Uggghh...I really wanted Othmann, Rosen or Lambos. Maybe Rosen slides and we luck out...the other two won’t fall that far. Just gross.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I’ve seen some mock drafts that have Rosen selected towards the end of round one. This feels like a punch right to the gut though. Figures Palmieri played a key role and Zajac tonight. Uggghh...I really wanted Othmann, Rosen or Lambos. Maybe Rosen slides and we luck out...the other two won’t fall that far. Just gross.

Still a chance for some good talent. Heimosalmi, Svozil, Chibrikov, Rosen, L'Heureux and Robertsson should all be on the radar.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yep, this had the feeling of inevitability. Islanders are built for the playoffs -- they have a heck of a hockey team over there. You kind of knew Boston was going down hard in Game 6 when they denied the accountability of being outperformed and instead decided to blame the refs for going down 3-2 in the series to a team which was (quite legally) bullying the hell out of them.

This has huge implications for the Devils. The #20 pick in this draft came with the possibility of a very high end talent falling through, such as Carson Lambos, Brennan Othmann or Fyodor Svechkov. There's no chance of getting one of those guys to squeak through another 10 picks later. If you wanted a goalie, Cossa is also likely out of play in the #29-#32 range.

I'd say there are a couple of high end forwards who have a slight chance to slip -- I like the chance of one of Rosen, Chibrikov or Pinelli to slip. I feel the best defenseman who could conceivably drop is Aleksi Heimosalmi, and I suppose we should also be giving some more attention to Scott Morrow and Jack Bar.A very intriguing possibility is one of my personal favorite prospects in years, Stanislav Svozil. Another guy to talk about -- although he's extremely polarizing -- is the ultra-tough constant-suspension-waiting-to-happen Zachary L'Heureux, who despite the over-the-line antics is one hell of a goal scorer.

Congrats to some really terrific favorites of all of ours in Greene, Zajac, Palmieri and Lamoriello for reaching the conference finals with a terrific series win.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Yep, this had the feeling of inevitability. Islanders are built for the playoffs -- they have a heck of a hockey team over there. You kind of knew Boston was going down hard in Game 6 when they denied the accountability of being outperformed and instead decided to blame the refs for going down 3-2 in the series to a team which was (quite legally) bullying the hell out of them.

This has huge implications for the Devils. The #20 pick in this draft came with the possibility of a very high end talent falling through, such as Carson Lambos, Brennan Othmann or Fyodor Svechkov. There's no chance of getting one of those guys to squeak through another 10 picks later. If you wanted a goalie, Cossa is also likely out of play in the #29-#32 range.

I'd say there are a couple of high end forwards who have a slight chance to slip -- I like the chance of one of Rosen, Chibrikov or Pinelli to slip. I feel the best defenseman who could conceivably drop is Aleksi Heimosalmi, and I suppose we should also be giving some more attention to Scott Morrow and Jack Bar.A very intriguing possibility is one of my personal favorite prospects in years, Stanislav Svozil. Another guy to talk about -- although he's extremely polarizing -- is the ultra-tough constant-suspension-waiting-to-happen Zachary L'Heureux, who despite the over-the-line antics is one hell of a goal scorer.

Congrats to some really terrific favorites of all of ours in Greene, Zajac, Palmieri and Lamoriello for reaching the conference finals with a terrific series win.

With the junior seasons shortened or done away with it played under weird circumstances you expect talent to be available through the top two rounds. Whether NJ will recognize it will be the issue. Pick four is a good starting point and my own personal preference would be to trade down from the NYI pick to get a couple of seconds to try to grab two of those right handed defense prospects you outlined. NJ needs to build prospect depth at LW and RD so extra picks will help. On balance staying out at four is probably more important than the NYI pick falling.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Gotta start looking at players ranked around 25 to 40 now that the Islanders might be winning the series tonight...
It sucks big time . First with the Preds being complexly inept and los8g to the Coyotes now this year with the Islanders .....
My hope is that with the 25-30 all the players like Othmann and Ceuleman are long gone and we take Cossa and not have the chance to regret on passing on a as none really we lie at that spot .
Cossa is going to be a stud . Athletic , composed , quick 6’7” goalie that reminds me a lot of Ben Bishop .... yes please !!
I just hope he’s there when we pick but I doubt it

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
If I’m the devils I’m going to be swinging for the fences with the pick in the late round now. I’d expect a boom/bust pick.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
With the junior seasons shortened or done away with it played under weird circumstances you expect talent to be available through the top two rounds. Whether NJ will recognize it will be the issue. Pick four is a good starting point and my own personal preference would be to trade down from the NYI pick to get a couple of seconds to try to grab two of those right handed defense prospects you outlined. NJ needs to build prospect depth at LW and RD so extra picks will help. On balance staying out at four is probably more important than the NYI pick falling.
i don't see a need for more lw depth. there is plenty of depth on the left side. you would actually shoot for more quality at the top.

lw - nhl roster:
bratt
zacha
sharangovich
wood
kuokkanen
maltsev
johnsson

lw - prospect pipeline
foote
talavite
gritsyuk
pasic

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
i don't see a need for more lw depth. there is plenty of depth on the left side. you would actually shoot for more quality at the top.

lw - nhl roster:
bratt
zacha
sharangovich
wood
kuokkanen
maltsev
johnsson

lw - prospect pipeline
foote
talavite
gritsyuk
pasic

It's always subject to change, but for now, the only promising prospect I see at LW is Foote. I'm skeptical we ever see the other three in the NHL beyond maybe a fringe role. I think Maltsev is more of a center and my guess is that at least one of Bratt Zacha and Wood are moved in the next couple of years as their RFA years come to an end. Maybe Johnsson has a major bounce back season but it's hard to see him in anything other than a role similar to Merkley right now.

Reactions: FooteBahl

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426

L’heureux is intriguing since this team needs some more teeth and nails so badly. If he can be focused and use his aggression intelligently and chip in relatively well offensively, it would be awesome.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
Scott Morrow is tremendously talented -- he's a RD with a covetable combination of size/skating/skill. This gives him very significant potential which cannot be refuted. Also, he is going to an excellent UMass program where we can expect him to greatly develop and improve over the coming seasons.

However, it's also important to note that Morrow has had his defensive play and compete level scrutinized to a degree which may have prevented him from making any of the USA international tournament teams despite his tremendous ability.

So, Scott Morrow is a first-round level talent who could fall to the middle of the second round. He's a high-risk pick who is also potentially high-reward. But I do agree with you that the UMass program certainly makes his projection more optimistic.

Sooooo Steven,
Now that we are here, is Morrow under consideration by you? Really liked your rhds in the 2nd, is moving down for more, better than taking a crack at morrow? Thanks for all of your work here!

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006

lw - nhl roster:
bratt
zacha
sharangovich
wood
kuokkanen
maltsev
johnsson

lw - prospect pipeline
foote
talavite
gritsyuk
pasic

It seems through the years the bulk of the forwards drafted by NJ have been centers. It doesn't seem a stretch for them making the move to wing.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

So he wants them to win the Cup and trade down. Cool, cool he scored a game seven GWG for them and played his final season with Boston. Freakin' Friar.

What're we getting for trading for the first pick in the second round?

i mean, technically there's 32 picks in this draft (if you count the coyotes forfeited pick)

he prob doesn't mean it though lol, it's all smoke and mirrors. can't talk shit about lou after all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad