Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Post Lottery Edition

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Is their a Jacob Perreault type prospect in this year's draft that is probably valued at mid teens per talent but will likely fall towards the end of the first round due to some concerns about work ethic, defensive commitment, injuries etc...

Thinking it may be Raty but would like to hear other nominations.

Isak Rosen and Logan Stankoven -- both undervalued because of size/physical maturity. Mackie Samoskevich ands Sasha Pastujov, undervalued because of lack of high end skating.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not an expert, and I haven't watched him much, but he reminds me of Seth Jarvis. I may be wrong. In any case, he would be an interesting option for the Devils.

Jarvis was faster and has an absolutely elite compete level, which is why I had him ranked ahead of Holtz, Quinn and Mercer at RW. I think Jarvis is a future NHL superstar. But Samoskevich has tremendous hands and vision and has great potential as well.

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Some weird rankings in that list. Pinelli and Svozil as 2nd round picks? Lysell seems a bit low to me.
Now that the stupid Islanders made it to the third round and our pick of theirs drops , I want to go Cossa now for sure. I know we need a LW very badly but I just feel that Cossa would be like Knight in that he will be in the NHL sooner than people originally thought and he will be a elite goalie.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I wouldn't begrudge Power if he went back to Michigan. I forgot how they didn't even get to participate in the National tournament, so I could understand that being a lousy way to cap off your only year of college hockey. Power would be a key guy for Canada's WJC squad. He could always turn pro after his season is over (albeit he might not play enough to burn a year).

From a non-hockey standpoint, I gotta think a normal year of college might be something worth experiencing. I have a few friends with kids who are finishing their freshman years and they were lamenting how campus life wasn't what it normally was.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'm a bit baffled by Lysell at #27 and Rosen at #37 -- how much Swedish hockey did Mr. Kennedy even watch? Pinelli at #33 and Heimosalmi at #68 -- did he catch the U-18?

This is the reason I get a bit frustrated when writers post rankings without descriptions or explanations -- it's lazy and it allows for less accountability with bizarre takes. I actually like and respect Ryan Kennedy and greatly enjoy reading him often, and I also realize this is a tough year for ranking on any level.

Anyway, I think this list is to be taken with a grain of salt. Thank you to @Devils731 for posting it.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
If Rosen or Pinelli somehow slide and we have a chance to pick one, rush up to the podium and do cartwheels. If not, I will be personally so disappointed we got “screwed” by the Islanders (or maybe the Bruins more accurately) that it possibly cost the Devils Othmann or Lambos.

My concern in the aforementioned scenario though is....given the fact Fitz overdrafted Muk last season, I’m not confident yet that the Devils would go BPA as opposed to need. Given that center is not an area of weakness for the Devils, this would concern me. I think it would be egregious to pass on Pinelli if he was still somehow available. Could Pinelli be a winger at the NHL level?

Last edited:
Reactions: nugg

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I wouldn't begrudge Power if he went back to Michigan. I forgot how they didn't even get to participate in the National tournament, so I could understand that being a lousy way to cap off your only year of college hockey. Power would be a key guy for Canada's WJC squad. He could always turn pro after his season is over (albeit he might not play enough to burn a year).

From a non-hockey standpoint, I gotta think a normal year of college might be something worth experiencing. I have a few friends with kids who are finishing their freshman years and they were lamenting how campus life wasn't what it normally was.
While true, you simply cant be doing that. If Power gets injured badly enough, he just threw his career away and for what; to get drunk on weekends with his friends?

Life experiences are cool and amount to great memories but paying the bills and making millions for your future family is far far greater

if he goes back to Michigan hes a grade-A moron

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
While true, you simply cant be doing that. If Power gets injured badly enough, he just threw his career away and for what; to get drunk on weekends with his friends?

Life experiences are cool and amount to great memories but paying the bills and making millions for your future family is far far greater

How many catastrophic injuries have happened in college hockey? You make it seem like a Travis Roy situation happens all the time. If Power were a draft eligible running back or pitcher, then I can understand those injury rates being a consideration. Jon Merrill could have turned pro after his sophomore year but he decided to go back for his junior year. He got boarded in a preseason game and missed half the season, but I don't think that really threw his career trajectory that off course.

Noah Hanifin turned pro after being drafted as a freshman while former teammate Zach Werenski went back for his sophomore year. The extra year arguably helped Werenski clean up some warts in his defensive game and their career earnings are pretty comparable up to this point (Werenski will likely earn more after his next deal).

There's a certain mentality thing with Canadians who go the NCAA route instead of the CHL. For better or worse, they usually go the college route not expecting to leave after their freshman years. Dany Heatley was the #2 pick in 2000 (and was older due to the rules at the time) but decided to go back to Wisconsin over playing immediately for Atlanta. Jonathan Toews was the 3rd overall pick in 2006 and went back to North Dakota. Toews had a very memorable WJC and led North Dakota back to the Frozen Four.

I don't see it being that big a deal if Power decides to go back. He'd be getting the same contract in July 2021 as he would April 2022, Buffalo wouldn't pull a Houston/Brady Aiken if Power tore an ACL. He'd delay his next contract by a year, but not having a potential gong show year on your resume might be a positive with his next contract negotiations. Alex Pietrangelo stayed an extra two years (granted that was a team decision) in the CHL after being drafted but I think he's doing okay financially compared to say Zach Bogosian who was picked a spot ahead of him and was forced into the NHL as an 18 year old.

One of my favorite game experiences was watching a Michigan game at Yost in 2012. It's not just partying with friends, but little things like getting to play in front of a packed house that didn't get to happen last year. If it were me, I could totally understand the allure of:

- Having a normal year of college
- Getting a chance at a National Title with a stacked team
- Getting a chance at WJC gold with the tournament in Canada
- Still signing in April 2022

vs.

- Spending 2021-22 with an NHL club that might be undergoing a huge makeover and would probably be in the cellar
- Making 925K + performance bonuses that would be tough for a defenseman to achieve on a bad team

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC

Most athletes in this position would take out an insurance policy against injury. If I had to hazard a guess there are not may prospects, if any, who will be making the jump straight to the Pros. If we draft Hughes or Clarke I don't see it happening.

And for Owen Power to spend another year developing strength and experience I can't imagine Buffalo even caring. They are not 1 player away from anything. And that entry level contract isn't like it is in the NFL or NBA

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Is their a Jacob Perreault type prospect in this year's draft that is probably valued at mid teens per talent but will likely fall towards the end of the first round due to some concerns about work ethic, defensive commitment, injuries etc...

Thinking it may be Raty but would like to hear other nominations.

Perreault was a weird case scenario -- his combination of skating/shooting/vision was tops among all forwards in the draft outside the top 3 picks. His upside remains extraordinary -- he did not disappoint this year putting up 17 points in 27 games as the youngest player in the entire AHL.

I'd say Isak Rosen is the potential star top-line winger most likely to fall, and the reason is as simple as physical immaturity. You might have to wait three years, but you're talking about a kid who could potentially be a point-per-game superstar for the ensuing decade.

But if anyone in this year's draft is the type of player you're describing, it's not a forward but a defenseman -- Carson Lambos. His combination of size, shooting, strength, skating and puckhandling is immense -- I'd say it puts his upside in the same tier as Power, Clarke and Hughes and decidedly ahead of Edvinsson, Ceulemans or Svozil. His ultimate ceiling is a sort of left-shooting Pietrangelo, and he could fall to the 20s due to some concerns about a sub-par draft eligible season.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
How many catastrophic injuries have happened in college hockey? You make it seem like a Travis Roy situation happens all the time. If Power were a draft eligible running back or pitcher, then I can understand those injury rates being a consideration. Jon Merrill could have turned pro after his sophomore year but he decided to go back for his junior year. He got boarded in a preseason game and missed half the season, but I don't think that really threw his career trajectory that off course.

Noah Hanifin turned pro after being drafted as a freshman while former teammate Zach Werenski went back for his sophomore year. The extra year arguably helped Werenski clean up some warts in his defensive game and their career earnings are pretty comparable up to this point (Werenski will likely earn more after his next deal).

There's a certain mentality thing with Canadians who go the NCAA route instead of the CHL. For better or worse, they usually go the college route not expecting to leave after their freshman years. Dany Heatley was the #2 pick in 2000 (and was older due to the rules at the time) but decided to go back to Wisconsin over playing immediately for Atlanta. Jonathan Toews was the 3rd overall pick in 2006 and went back to North Dakota. Toews had a very memorable WJC and led North Dakota back to the Frozen Four.

I don't see it being that big a deal if Power decides to go back. He'd be getting the same contract in July 2021 as he would April 2022, Buffalo wouldn't pull a Houston/Brady Aiken if Power tore an ACL. He'd delay his next contract by a year, but not having a potential gong show year on your resume might be a positive with his next contract negotiations. Alex Pietrangelo stayed an extra two years (granted that was a team decision) in the CHL after being drafted but I think he's doing okay financially compared to say Zach Bogosian who was picked a spot ahead of him and was forced into the NHL as an 18 year old.

One of my favorite game experiences was watching a Michigan game at Yost in 2012. It's not just partying with friends, but little things like getting to play in front of a packed house that didn't get to happen last year. If it were me, I could totally understand the allure of:

- Having a normal year of college
- Getting a chance at a National Title with a stacked team
- Getting a chance at WJC gold with the tournament in Canada
- Still signing in April 2022

vs.

- Spending 2021-22 with an NHL club that might be undergoing a huge makeover and would probably be in the cellar
- Making 925K + performance bonuses that would be tough for a defenseman to achieve on a bad team

Brilliant post, although we may be putting off the obvious that the kid just wants to procrastinate going to Buffalo.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Most athletes in this position would take out an insurance policy against injury. If I had to hazard a guess there are not may prospects, if any, who will be making the jump straight to the Pros. If we draft Hughes or Clarke I don't see it happening.

And for Owen Power to spend another year developing strength and experience I can't imagine Buffalo even caring. They are not 1 player away from anything. And that entry level contract isn't like it is in the NFL or NBA
Buffalo is taking Beniers

Seattle will want Power to show up year one and be the main guy

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Buffalo is taking Beniers

Seattle will want Power to show up year one and be the main guy

It will be interesting. Vegas had 3 first round picks when it was all said and done. I can’t see Seattle picking a defenseman with their first pick. The expansion draft is rigged to give Seattle a solid defense. I also thought many GM’s played themselves, and with the cap crunch, I can unfortunately see it happening again.

We know how good the Devils are and they are most likely picking Will Butch.. or taking picks and Johnsson (who has solid underlying numbers)..

Bankers Box

Aug 26, 2009
We know how good the Devils are and they are most likely picking Will Butch.. or taking picks and Johnsson (who has solid underlying numbers)..

Wait, are you saying the devils would trade a pick to have Seattle take AJ over Butcher? I feel like Johnsson has more value than Butcher but maybe I’m wrong.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Wait, are you saying the devils would trade a pick to have Seattle take AJ over Butcher? I feel like Johnsson has more value than Butcher but maybe I’m wrong.

Johnsson is more valuable than Butcher from my perspective as well. Would never trade a pick to coerce a team to take Johnsson over Butcher. That’s the kind of shit teams did with Vegas that looks horrendous in hindsight.

Reactions: Hisch13r

NJ Diablos

Feb 12, 2020
I don't write often but I always check in to hear what my pals here say about the draft prospects. And as usual, STI is on top of everything and I always find his views very credible and really interesting to read. The Bob McKenzie of these boards! And not to shun the others here because many of you do have valid points and make good arguments too. It's good banter. Thanks for all the updates and information, STI. If we ever meet up before a game sometime, a cold brew's on me.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I don't write often but I always check in to hear what my pals here say about the draft prospects. And as usual, STI is on top of everything and I always find his views very credible and really interesting to read. The Bob McKenzie of these boards! And not to shun the others here because many of you do have valid points and make good arguments too. It's good banter. Thanks for all the updates and information, STI. If we ever meet up before a game sometime, a cold brew's on me.

Thanks for the kind words. I'm planning on going to a few games this upcoming season, I'll put a message up on the boards when I do. Also, thanks for comparing me to Bob McKenzie -- if anyone compared me to Pierre McGuire, I might jump off a bridge haha.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00