Prospect Info: 2021 Devils-Centric Mock Draft, Post Lottery Edition

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
If I can compare Clarke and Hughes with musicians, I would say Clarke is Miles Davis with his different composing waves, interesting and different improvise, make his band better, and Hughes is one of some heavy metal guitarists with high end speed, some good melodies sometimes, but limited tools.
For me Clarke is miles ahead.

billy-madison-peeing-pants.gif

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
This mock from The Sporting News is very interesting as they actually have Hughes going 2 to Seattle.

They have the Devils taking Clarke and then Chibrikov. Interestingly, Othmann is selected immediately after Chibrikov.

I’ve heard a lot about Othmann but need to do research on Chibrikov. I feel like we are in good shape at RW and LW is an area of need...but if Chibrikov is the better prospect....which I’m sure is debatable....

Lambos takes a huge slide to very late in the round, picked by Winnipeg.

NHL mock draft 2021: Sabres take Owen Power at No. 1 in wide-open draft

Chibrikov is also a left shot and can play LW. He'd be a great pick -- he's physical and skilled, plays a tough two-way game, very high compete. Captained Team Russia in the U-18 and played terrific hockey.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves I'm surprised you have us passing on Othmann. Great work as always!

You know I love Othmann -- also Isak Rosen. Either of them would project as the Devils 1LW for the foreseeable future. But Lambos is very intriguing -- his upside is in the ballpark of Power/Clarke/Hughes, he's just riskier. That type of skating/strength/skill is tough to come outside of the top 10 picks. But I must concede he's also a scary pick -- his draft eligible season was certainly underwhelming.

Reactions: My3Sons and nugg

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If I can compare Clarke and Hughes with musicians, I would say Clarke is Miles Davis with his different composing waves, interesting and different improvise, make his band better, and Hughes is one of some heavy metal guitarists with high end speed, some good melodies sometimes, but limited tools.
For me Clarke is miles ahead.

Okay, I see what you're doing here, but it's also important to note what a huge Iron Maiden fan I am.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Good mock!

Personally I think the Ducks will draft Hughes, Yes they like big burly defensemen but Hughes is very young so their is a good chance he could still grow an inch. Hughes also would be the safer pick between him and Edvinsson IMO

I'd actually call neither "safe" picks, in that they both have a lot to work on. But Edvinsson is closer to the NHL and closer to his ceiling, so you'd have to say he's the "safer" pick. Hughes has tremendous offensive upside which Edvinsson does not, however -- Hughes can skate circles around Edvinsson and is far superior in his puck skills. Conversely, Hughes is below average defensively right now, whereas Edvinsson is quite good in that respect.

I'd say the only "safe" defensemen in this draft are probably Owen Power and Stanislav Svozil. Everyone else comes at least with some risk.

Reactions: My3Sons

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I agree Buffalo being Buffalo makes them difficult to predict, haha. If any team can blow the #1 overall pick, well...

That being said, there is a lot of pressure on this organization, which makes the "safe pick" more likely. Whereas a guy like Steve Yzerman -- widely considered to be a brilliant GM and extremely secure in his job -- can take a risk on draft day and shrug off any criticism -- Buffalo does not have this option, and are likely to be harshly scrutinized for any perceived flub. Owen Power is the closest thing to a consensus #1 and has both a very high floor and ceiling -- passing on him right now would represent a huge risk. I'm pretty confident that he will be Buffalo's pick.

As far as Seattle goes, it is important to factor in expansion rules with their draft pick. The Kraken will have the pick of many fine goaltenders, as teams can only protect one. The Kraken will have their pick of many fine D, as teams have the option of protecting either 1 or 3 at the most. With forwards, it's a lot more difficult. They'll be able to get some high quality guys, but mostly older ones like TJ Oshie or Tyler Johnson. There will be no legit top 6 centers available, however. This makes center a high priority if you're Ron Francis, and Matthew Beniers is can't miss -- a high-speed, high-compete, high-IQ two-way beast. I'm pretty confident he will be the guy for Seattle at #2.

There is certainly a strong chance Anaheim takes Luke Hughes at #3. This is a team which desperately needs offense, and a speed demon who is a monster in transition like Hughes would immediately juice the Ducks' offensive outlook for the foreseeable future. However, this is a very old school front office which still covets size and physicality on the same tier as skill, so it's tough to rule out an Edvinsson with their pick. I've cited McTavish as a possibility here as well -- he's a perfect heir to the Getzlaf throne as a big, physical two-way center with extremely high scoring potential and oozing character and grit.

I would say your eventual question was: what are the odds Luke Hughes is available for the Devils with the #4 overall pick? I would say the odds are very high indeed.
Our FO is still old school but they've admitted to now doing things differently going forward with regards to analytic data and stuff....and admitted to screwing up with Theodore.
After Power & Beniers, majority of Anaheim's forum wants Hughes. His age of being the youngest guy in the top 10, 6'2 height & could end up 6'3 to go along with that elite speed and playmaking.
Drysdale has already shown us he can be a 2way defender with how good he is. One of Lindholm or Fowler is probably gonna end up traded, maybe Lindholm for Reinhart who knows.
We have lacked a true 1D since Niedermayer in 2009-10 season and Visnovsky in 2010-2011.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I can’t see Anaheim going defence unless maybe Power falls to them somehow. I just think they’re a team that’s had little trouble developing defenceman. In the last decade, outside Lindholm and Fowler as top-10ish picks, they’ve churned out a lot of serviceable D or better. Shea Theodore, Vatanen, Montour, Manson, Jacob Larsson, and Marcus Pettersson. Then they’ve got Drysdale, Mahura, Lacombe and Thrun.

Little need for them to draft D. They’re more in need of guys who can shoot the lights out, and be a finisher for Zegras.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Auto Pilot

Sep 7, 2019
Good mock!

Personally I think the Ducks will draft Hughes, Yes they like big burly defensemen but Hughes is very young so their is a good chance he could still grow an inch. Hughes also would be the safer pick between him and Edvinsson IMO
I could see the ducks drafting him. If Hughes is available at 4 when we pick, he’s going to be a Devil. Walking away with him or Clarke is a great draft. Clarke will probably be ready sooner than Hughes, but I think Hughes is going to be the best d man of the draft given the tools he has and given how he is the best skater in the draft on the back end.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Our FO is still old school but they've admitted to now doing things differently going forward with regards to analytic data and stuff....and admitted to screwing up with Theodore.
After Power & Beniers, majority of Anaheim's forum wants Hughes. His age of being the youngest guy in the top 10, 6'2 height & could end up 6'3 to go along with that elite speed and playmaking.
Drysdale has already shown us he can be a 2way defender with how good he is. One of Lindholm or Fowler is probably gonna end up traded, maybe Lindholm for Reinhart who knows.
We have lacked a true 1D since Niedermayer in 2009-10 season and Visnovsky in 2010-2011.

Thanks for coming over to the Devils boards and giving some great opinions. I study all 31 (well, now 32) NHL teams pretty intently, and Anaheim is fascinating. Last year, they were one of the draft winners to me -- Drysdale is phenomenal, while Jacob Perreault's upside is wildly high -- in the 2021 draft, his combination of skating/shooting/vision was right there with players in the top 5 overall. I also felt Colangelo and Moore were very good picks for the Ducks.

At the moment, I would say that Anaheim has the #1 prospect in all hockey, as I still consider Zegras a prospect. Also, Anaheim as the #2 defense prospect in hockey, as I rank Drysdale second behind only Bowen Byram. So, your future is certainly bright.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
@StevenToddIves

I like your draft. If you want Clark, hopefully one of the top 3 take Hughes. I think there is a 50/50 chance Buffalo takes Beniers. I think Seattle goes offense no matter what. Call me crazy. I could see them taking Eklund/Guenther if Buffalo takes Beniers. My reasoning is that the Expansion draft leans most toward defense. Vegas was trading defenseman day one because they had too many. Expansion teams need offense.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I can’t see Anaheim going defence unless maybe Power falls to them somehow. I just think they’re a team that’s had little trouble developing defenceman. In the last decade, outside Lindholm and Fowler as top-10ish picks, they’ve churned out a lot of serviceable D or better. Shea Theodore, Vatanen, Montour, Manson, Jacob Larsson, and Marcus Pettersson. Then they’ve got Drysdale, Mahura, Lacombe and Thrun.

Little need for them to draft D. They’re more in need of guys who can shoot the lights out, and be a finisher for Zegras.

That's "projecting". Though everything you say certainly makes sense, this has nothing to do with what Anaheim will actually do.

Anaheim GM Bob Murray has one of the most consistent draft records in the NHL. He likes to draft from the blueline on out. He likes to draft big players -- and Anaheim is one of the two or three biggest teams in the NHL year in and year out. He likes to draft out of North America and Sweden, rarely drafting out of Central Europe or Eastern Europe or Finland, especially in the first few rounds. He likes to draft physical players who play "on the edge".

So, while it's certainly possible that the Ducks use the #3 overall pick on a Dylan Guenther or Mason McTavish, I'm still leaning towards a Simon Edvinsson or Luke Hughes -- it's just more in tune with what I've come to expect out of Murray and the Anaheim scouting staff. This is a team with just two viable LD prospects in Jackson LaCombe and Henry Thrun, and at the moment it would be a bit over-confident to pencil either of them into your future top 4. Fowler is likely trade bait this off-season for forward help right now. This team has a desperate need to draft D this year -- top of the line-up LD for the future, and RD depth behind Drysdale for the future. And the 2021 draft will likely be remembered for the two positions it is strong in -- LD and LW. This draft is relatively weak literally at every other position.

I think that's the fun of the draft and part of why we enjoy it so much -- trying to guess and suppose and hypothesize is something I really get a kick out of. But I think what I'm trying to convey here is what a team needs and what they think they need are two different things sometimes.

Toronto loses in the playoffs to a more physical and gritty team literally every year. This year they finally kind of addressed it with 4th-line/3rd-pairing additions of Foligno and Simmonds and Bogosian, but their top-6 and top-4 were so soft once Muzzin got hurt that Montreal didn't need to play with their heads up at all -- no one was going to hit them, so why even worry? Carey Price could kick out rebounds anywhere -- Hyman was the only Leafs forward making any effort to get to the crease for a deflection or rebound. Will Dubas finally learn, or will he eschew the necessary power forwards and physical defensemen for more guys who appeal to his unproven hockey philosophies?

Anaheim is literally the anti-Toronto. They're annually one of the biggest and toughest teams in the league, they have an elite-level goaltender, but all the contenders in their conference literally skate circles around them every game and they wind up in the draft lottery. Hopefully high end talents like Zegras and Drysdale will change that, but they're still only teenagers. And while I agree a smart pick for the Ducks at #3 would be Guenther or Eklund -- the Ducks don't draft 5'10-170 Fs in the 1st round so we can rule out Eklund and I can't see them taking Guenther over a more physical, plays-on-the-edge player like McTavish.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves

I like your draft. If you want Clark, hopefully one of the top 3 take Hughes. I think there is a 50/50 chance Buffalo takes Beniers. I think Seattle goes offense no matter what. Call me crazy. I could see them taking Eklund/Guenther if Buffalo takes Beniers. My reasoning is that the Expansion draft leans most toward defense. Vegas was trading defenseman day one because they had too many. Expansion teams need offense.

1. Dude, it's Buffalo. There's a 50/50 chance they trade the first overall pick to a division rival for a 3rd line LW with a bad salary cap hit.

2. Yes, most people would agree Seattle is drafting a forward.

3. Ok, you're crazy.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
My dream draft has the Devils getting Brandt Clarke for RD, Isak Rosen for LW, and Bruce Dickinson to sing the national anthem.
Brandt Clarke, Scott Morrow as insurance(I know he cant play defense), and my favorite singer for sing, who still didnt die, is Adrian Belew.

I still think we are under pressure(singer who had to sing, but die) of brother situation. If we will not draft Luke and he will be on brothers level, its a stigma. The question is what is more important for an immature management - the absence of reputational risks, or real needs and an adequate comprehensive assessment of talent.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
That's "projecting". Though everything you say certainly makes sense, this has nothing to do with what Anaheim will actually do.

Anaheim GM Bob Murray has one of the most consistent draft records in the NHL. He likes to draft from the blueline on out. He likes to draft big players -- and Anaheim is one of the two or three biggest teams in the NHL year in and year out. He likes to draft out of North America and Sweden, rarely drafting out of Central Europe or Eastern Europe or Finland, especially in the first few rounds. He likes to draft physical players who play "on the edge".

So, while it's certainly possible that the Ducks use the #3 overall pick on a Dylan Guenther or Mason McTavish, I'm still leaning towards a Simon Edvinsson or Luke Hughes -- it's just more in tune with what I've come to expect out of Murray and the Anaheim scouting staff. This is a team with just two viable LD prospects in Jackson LaCombe and Henry Thrun, and at the moment it would be a bit over-confident to pencil either of them into your future top 4. Fowler is likely trade bait this off-season for forward help right now. This team has a desperate need to draft D this year -- top of the line-up LD for the future, and RD depth behind Drysdale for the future. And the 2021 draft will likely be remembered for the two positions it is strong in -- LD and LW. This draft is relatively weak literally at every other position.

I think that's the fun of the draft and part of why we enjoy it so much -- trying to guess and suppose and hypothesize is something I really get a kick out of. But I think what I'm trying to convey here is what a team needs and what they think they need are two different things sometimes.

Toronto loses in the playoffs to a more physical and gritty team literally every year. This year they finally kind of addressed it with 4th-line/3rd-pairing additions of Foligno and Simmonds and Bogosian, but their top-6 and top-4 were so soft once Muzzin got hurt that Montreal didn't need to play with their heads up at all -- no one was going to hit them, so why even worry? Carey Price could kick out rebounds anywhere -- Hyman was the only Leafs forward making any effort to get to the crease for a deflection or rebound. Will Dubas finally learn, or will he eschew the necessary power forwards and physical defensemen for more guys who appeal to his unproven hockey philosophies?

Anaheim is literally the anti-Toronto. They're annually one of the biggest and toughest teams in the league, they have an elite-level goaltender, but all the contenders in their conference literally skate circles around them every game and they wind up in the draft lottery. Hopefully high end talents like Zegras and Drysdale will change that, but they're still only teenagers. And while I agree a smart pick for the Ducks at #3 would be Guenther or Eklund -- the Ducks don't draft 5'10-170 Fs in the 1st round so we can rule out Eklund and I can't see them taking Guenther over a more physical, plays-on-the-edge player like McTavish.

Just a thought. If Detroit covets Hughes, could a swap of the 3rd and 6th picks make sense? I can easily see McTavish being there at 6 if he is the player the Ducks want.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Brandt Clarke, Scott Morrow as insurance(I know he cant play defense), and my favorite singer for sing, who still didnt die, is Adrian Belew.

I still think we are under pressure(singer who had to sing, but die) of brother situation. If we will not draft Luke and he will be on brothers level, its a stigma. The question is what is more important for an immature management - the absence of reputational risks, or real needs and an adequate comprehensive assessment of talent.

Edmonton killed itself for years by having no vision in team-building. They drafted scoring forward after scoring forward in the top few overall picks, then when it was clear they needed defense, they traded for local hero Griffin Reinhart (Memorial Cup winner with Edmonton of the WHL) instead of actually scouting what they needed for the blueline. The picks the Oilers gave up for Reinhart -- who could barely skate at an ECHL level -- turned into Mathew Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier. To fill the goaltending hole, the Oilers made another ill-advised trade for Cam Talbot.

Fitzgerald is going to have to go the anti-Griffin Reinhart route and take the best player for the Devils blueline, regardless of what the popular opinion might be. If their scouts like Hughes the best? Then fine, draft Hughes. But if the Devils scouts prefer Clarke and the Devils drafted Hughes for a "feel good draft day story", it would be a monumental mistake.

Also, I like Adrian Belew. Hell of a guitar player. His work with David Bowie was unbelievably good.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Just a thought. If Detroit covets Hughes, could a swap of the 3rd and 6th picks make sense? I can easily see McTavish being there at 6 if he is the player the Ducks want.

I don't think Yzerman will "panic into anything" so to speak. This is a guy with a definitive plan and strategy, he really knows what he's doing. I'm sure he has a Plan A through Plan Q lined up already for any draft-day contingency.

Reactions: longislanddevil

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I was fortunate to see Belew play with King Crimson in NY at an outdoor show in the late 80s but I think this is best I've ever heard him play in what is a killer song to me. The energy just emanates from the screen which is rare when I watch live music videos.

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC
I'll be happy if the devils take Clarke or Hughes at 4. Probably would be confused if they didn't take either if both are sitting there. And with he Isles pick I am somewhat rooting for taking Cossa assuming we grab a Dman at #4.

But whatever we end up doing we should be very happy. A painful year is over and we get to reap the one benefit of that year very soon. Throw these 2 prospects into our pool of young players and the future gets a little brighter!

PS Than you STI for this mock draft. Was definitely looking forward to it and appreciate the time you take to do all of this.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I don't think Yzerman will "panic into anything" so to speak. This is a guy with a definitive plan and strategy, he really knows what he's doing. I'm sure he has a Plan A through Plan Q lined up already for any draft-day contingency.
He definitely has preparation a through g...
upload_2021-6-4_11-37-31.jpeg

Reactions: aboriginal

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Edmonton killed itself for years by having no vision in team-building. They drafted scoring forward after scoring forward in the top few overall picks, then when it was clear they needed defense, they traded for local hero Griffin Reinhart (Memorial Cup winner with Edmonton of the WHL) instead of actually scouting what they needed for the blueline. The picks the Oilers gave up for Reinhart -- who could barely skate at an ECHL level -- turned into Mathew Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier. To fill the goaltending hole, the Oilers made another ill-advised trade for Cam Talbot.

Fitzgerald is going to have to go the anti-Griffin Reinhart route and take the best player for the Devils blueline, regardless of what the popular opinion might be. If their scouts like Hughes the best? Then fine, draft Hughes. But if the Devils scouts prefer Clarke and the Devils drafted Hughes for a "feel good draft day story", it would be a monumental mistake.

Also, I like Adrian Belew. Hell of a guitar player. His work with David Bowie was unbelievably good.

Not the same story, but LA did draft Tambellini in fokin 2003. Perry was the next in that draft. I know Hughes is a great skater, but he has a lot of red flags. He has so much red flags on my taste that I think Yzerman should draft him. He's literally already wearing a red uniform.
Needs and attitude to talent is only thing to count in a draft day.
It will be very interesting to see how much authority and courage Fitzgerald has to make an unpopular decision. If suddenly Luke can't get a foothold in the squad, no one will scold him, the Devils have an armful of LD. A very nervous moment for organisation, and I dont really think Ducks or Seattle will draft Hughes.

Belew has a lot of work to remember besides Bowie)

I was fortunate to see Belew play with King Crimson in NY at an outdoor show in the late 80s but I think this is best I've ever heard him play in what is a killer song to me. The energy just emanates from the screen which is rare when I watch live music videos.
I am truly envious. I haven't lived that long, but in more than 30 years, I haven't attended a single concert of my favorite artists in their perfect line-ups. I hope that the RHCP will come to us after the reunion with Frusciante.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad