Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part I: Release the Hounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Wrong... $7 worth of flat iron steak + $3 ramen = living like a king for a week!

You might even be able to cut that ramen down to $2 and get $1 worth of eggs!

I just ate lunch and I'm hungry just thinking about this.
3 or 4 $3 cans of chicken + a couple $1 bags of frozen broccoli/peas/carrots/etc. + 10 bags of $0.79 ramen, and you can make several nice meals for a good week.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Trade him for?

Well... who's the best forward Girard could bring in, in the event he's deemed expendable (which I really don't know how I feel about)?

I know some are eager to trade him; I really don't know whether it's wise to let him go if the main argument for it stems from the Vegas series.

Reactions: Foppberg

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Well... who's the best forward Girard could bring in, in the event he's deemed expendable (which I really don't know how I feel about)?

I know some are eager to trade him; I really don't know whether it's wise to let him go if the main argument for it stems from the Vegas series.
If we're to trade any Dman it should be Toews. Unless he for whatever reason decides to sign a sweetheart contract comparable to G's.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Gotta let the season play out. Maybe this stacked blue line is what puts the Avs over the top and they run it back another year.

If the season ends poorly, then they have the option of trading a defenceman for an impact forward.

Reactions: nightonthesun

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Gotta let the season play out. Maybe this stacked blue line is what puts the Avs over the top and they run it back another year.

If the season ends poorly, then they have the option of trading a defenceman for an impact forward.
Yeah I wouldn’t trade a dman until next season, particularly to see what we have in Byram. Unless some opportunity arises with a C that’s too good to pass up.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Trade him for?
I think Sakic doesn't trade players that he knows he'll have a long-time at a cost-controlled rate, but if there is a player who would be great trade for a 2nd line centre of similar quality, it would be Girard. Remember that Avs have Burakovsky, Kadri, Nuke, and Kuemper all going to UFA this upcoming offseason. There is a good chance that Kadri and Bura (could add Kuemper to that as well) could price themselves out of the Avs plans.

Reactions: nightonthesun

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
If Girard is being traded then it better be for someone like Hertl or J.T. Miller. I still say no to Eichel because the Avs can't afford him. But I'm fine with keeping Girard too. No rush to do anything...yet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Tbh... If we're trading for Hertl and we are getting him with an extension already... Why not use Newhook as the big piece?

I know I've advocated for trading one of our LD whether its Byram or Girard for a while now, but thinking about it more Newhook would make as much or more sense to use.

Newhook is who we hope to be the 2C here, but if we end up going out and getting a bonafide top tier one like Hertl instead, all of a sudden Newhook doesn't serve nearly as important of a purpose for us as he's either 3C or a 2nd line winger which isn't nearly as important.

I think a deal around Jost + Newhook + a 2023 1st(With lottery protection) for Hertl in January, and then signing Hertl to a 6x7.5M sort of extension would be a really good deal for both sides. San Jose gets a real good center prospect back in Newhook and another young Center that may still have some upside. For the Avs we get a Center that fits much better with our contending window being right now. A Mack/Hertl 1-2 punch at least for the next 2-3 years would be among the best in the league.

Avs can role into the post season this year with Mack-Hertl-Kadri for Center depth. Then next summer move on from Kadri.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Sub in PBJ for grilled cheese and it was pretty much the same story for me in college. Broke as shit and had to eat cheap food. I might fancy up the same meals today, but I still love both. PBJ is my lunch about 50% of the time. :laugh:

I might have eaten more PBJ sandwiches than anyone else on this planet. No joke.

Red raspberry preserves, bb.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Tbh... If we're trading for Hertl and we are getting him with an extension already... Why not use Newhook as the big piece?

I know I've advocated for trading one of our LD whether its Byram or Girard for a while now, but thinking about it more Newhook would make as much or more sense to use.

Newhook is who we hope to be the 2C here, but if we end up going out and getting a bonafide top tier one like Hertl instead, all of a sudden Newhook doesn't serve nearly as important of a purpose for us as he's either 3C or a 2nd line winger which isn't nearly as important.

I think a deal around Jost + Newhook + a 2023 1st(With lottery protection) for Hertl in January, and then signing Hertl to a 6x7.5M sort of extension would be a really good deal for both sides. San Jose gets a real good center prospect back in Newhook and another young Center that may still have some upside. For the Avs we get a Center that fits much better with our contending window being right now. A Mack/Hertl 1-2 punch at least for the next 2-3 years would be among the best in the league.

Avs can role into the post season this year with Mack-Hertl-Kadri for Center depth. Then next summer move on from Kadri.
Yeah I'd prefer moving Newhook instead of Girard in a Hertl trade as well, as that doesn't mess with our depth on D, and as you said the need for Newhook would be diminished with Hertl at 2C.

In your proposal we'd be lacking a 3C when Kadri leaves, but it wouldn't be too difficult to plug that hole with Hertl as 2C, especially if Nichuskin gets kept around to essentially be a one-man 3rd line again.

This would essentially be the framework for our 2022-23 roster, give or take a couple of UFA's and prospects filling in the gaps:

Landeskog --- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
xxxxxxxxx ------- Hertl ------ xxxxxxxx
Nichuskin? ------ xxxx ------- Compher
xxxxxxxxx ----- Maltsev ------ O'Connor

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- EJ
Byram -- Barron

Kuemper?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I'd prefer moving Newhook instead of Girard in a Hertl trade as well, as that doesn't mess with our depth on D, and as you said the need for Newhook would be diminished with Hertl at 2C.

In your proposal we'd be lacking a 3C when Kadri leaves, but it wouldn't be too difficult to plug that hole with Hertl as 2C, especially if Nichuskin gets kept around to essentially be a one-man 3rd line again.

This would essentially be the framework for our 2022-23 roster, give or take a couple of UFA's and prospects filling in the gaps:

Landeskog --- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
xxxxxxxxx ------- Hertl ------ xxxxxxxx
Nichuskin? ------ xxxx ------- Compher
xxxxxxxxx ----- Maltsev ------ O'Connor

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- EJ
Byram -- Barron

Kuemper?

Yeah next year would be a vastly different team. But it's likely going to be anyway. Our entire 2nd line right now are UFAs, as are both our Goalies.

Ultimately I still think this would just be a scenario of kicking the can down the road so to speak. I still strongly believe in the next year or so, that we are going to have a significant decision to make with our Defense.

If Byram keeps playing like he did last night we have 3 Top 4 Dmen and really even Top pairing Dmen. You can get away with 2 Top pairing guys on one side but not 3. And since I dont think the Avs or Bednar are big fans of playing guys on the off side(Its why we saw Barron get such an extended look IMO).... Eventually a decision will have to be made here.

Whether its Girard, Byram, or Toews... Everyone has different preferences and an order of who they would move but I think fact of the matter is sooner or later that move will need to come.

But, trading Newhook++ for Hertl instead of one of those Dmen solves our biggest issue with the roster right now, and means we can be more broad in our trade plans involving the Defense. Perhaps they use Girard or Toews to get a long term goaltending solution next summer instead. Or they trade Toews away to recoup some future assets lost over the last year or so and giving us a bit of cap space to add a Top 6 winger to play with Hertl sort of thing.

Ultimately I think the Center depth is our biggest issue by far on this team right now. We can get away with having weak winger depth like we do right now, if we're still really strong down the middle. Adding Hertl would do that.

Reactions: Richard88

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't think this team needs Hertl since Newhook will be a fine 2C by next season. The D should be kept together, it really is the heart and soul of the team. Basically all Sakic has to do for next season is re-sign Kuemper, Nichushkin and Burakovsky. I'd prefer Kadri to Bura but his foot is already out the door.

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Newhook-Ranta
Nichushkin-Jost-Compher
Bowers-Maltsev-LOC

Toews-Makar
Byram-EJ
Girard-Barron

Kuemper
Goalie

This is still a really good team because of the defense.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
A couple of trades could really have our forward group looking a whole lot meaner to play against... something like the trade Pierce suggested above and then picking up Crouse for Kaut+.

upload_2021-10-14_22-6-4.png

upload_2021-10-14_22-5-53.png

That roster has:
  • An elite 1st line;
  • A 2nd line with a high-end 2C, an elite sniper, and a north-south puck-hound who can clean up rebounds around the net;
  • A 3rd line that has two elite defensive forwards with Kadri who'd be a high-end 3C and a one-man show in the OZ; and
  • A 4th line with size, tenacity, speed, and faceoff ability.
... plus:
  • the best D group in the league;
  • a top 5 goalie in net;
  • veteran depth at forward and D; and...
  • to top it all off the best face-puncher in the league.
PP1:
-------- Landeskog ---------
Mack --- Hertl - Rantanen
----------- Makar -----------

PK: Jost+Nichuskin and Maltsev+O'Connor as the main PKing forward pairs with Helm rotating in when injuries happen; and Murray-EJ and Byram+Toews.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I don't think this team needs Hertl since Newhook will be a fine 2C by next season. The D should be kept together, it really is the heart and soul of the team. Basically all Sakic has to do for next season is re-sign Kuemper, Nichushkin and Burakovsky. I'd prefer Kadri to Bura but his foot is already out the door.

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Newhook-Ranta
Nichushkin-Jost-Compher
Bowers-Maltsev-LOC

Toews-Makar
Byram-EJ
Girard-Barron

Kuemper
Goalie

This is still a really good team because of the defense.
That's essentially this years team minus Kadri; clearly a significant downgrade.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
That's essentially this years team minus Kadri; clearly a significant downgrade.

It's a downgrade, but once Newhook, Ranta, Barron and others reach potential it would do. There 's no way this team can afford Bura, Hertl, Crouse and then Mackinnon contract, and then after all the other contracts. Also, Kaut for Crouse is not a fair value trade.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
It's a downgrade, but once Newhook, Ranta, Barron and others reach potential it would do. There 's no way this team can afford Bura, Hertl, Crouse and then Mackinnon contract, and then after all the other contracts. Also, Kaut for Crouse is not a fair value trade.
If I had to choose I'd rather spend money on a 2C than a winger, and with Hertl as 2C I think you can let Burakovsky walk, especially since we seemingly have a clone of him in the pipeline already (Olausson).

Crouse is an RFA at the end of this season so he could be treated as a rental in the short term. If he does well enough in the playoffs to warrant a big raise that'll mean the team has done well and that his trade value has gone up in case he prices himself out.

Reactions: Avsboy

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
Dylan Larkin
Vlad Namestnikov

For

Sam Girard
JT Compher

Landeskog- Mackinnon- Rantanen
Namestnikov- Larkin- Burakovsky
Nichushkin- Kadri- Jost
Ranta- O'Connor- Helm

Toews - Makar
Byram - E. Johnson
J. Johnson - Murray

Kuemper
Johansson
Francouz

With Barron and Newhook in the system for next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad