Rumor: 2021-22 Trade Rumours and FA Part I: Release the Hounds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't think this team needs Hertl since Newhook will be a fine 2C by next season. The D should be kept together, it really is the heart and soul of the team. Basically all Sakic has to do for next season is re-sign Kuemper, Nichushkin and Burakovsky. I'd prefer Kadri to Bura but his foot is already out the door.

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Newhook-Ranta
Nichushkin-Jost-Compher
Bowers-Maltsev-LOC

Toews-Makar
Byram-EJ
Girard-Barron

Kuemper
Goalie

This is still a really good team because of the defense.

That's being extremely optimistic at best

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That's being extremely optimistic at best

Who really brings playmaking after that top line? Newhook is probably the best hope in this regard. It might not be a situation where they're comfortable with him at 2C but even if he play's on the wing, he can help make other guys on his line better, while being less expensive. If we're trading Newhook, I'd want it to be for someone like Hertl - he'd be a great fit. However, cost and contracts are a part of this.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We should just buy out Compher next year and take that 1 mill hit in the future year. We save 2 mill+ that we could use to get Hertel.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
We should just buy out Compher next year and take that 1 mill hit in the future year. We save 2 mill+ that we could use to get Hertel.

We don't need JTC money to get Hertl.

Plus, we don't want to be carrying a buyout penalty cap hit when Mack goes from making 6.3M to 13M.

Actually if anything JTCs expiring contract will help pay for Macks new deal.

EJ(6M) + JTC(3.5M) both expire the same summer Mack extension kicks in. Those two expiring deals cover his raise.

It actually kind of works out nicely.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Newhook being 2C was always the plan. What has changed?
Newhook will need to show something for this to be a plausible plan for a contending team. It isn't 2017 anymore where you're okay with some bumps and bruises... even out right failures. The 2C in 22-23 should be able to match up with any 2C in the league in pull their weight. As simply put as possible here, Newhook has not shown he's capable of doing that yet. Not even close. Certainly possible, he does at some point, but until he does, he shouldn't be that plan. If that is the plan the Avs have, it is very risky and could risk the rest of the window.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Tbh... If we're trading for Hertl and we are getting him with an extension already... Why not use Newhook as the big piece?

I know I've advocated for trading one of our LD whether its Byram or Girard for a while now, but thinking about it more Newhook would make as much or more sense to use.

Newhook is who we hope to be the 2C here, but if we end up going out and getting a bonafide top tier one like Hertl instead, all of a sudden Newhook doesn't serve nearly as important of a purpose for us as he's either 3C or a 2nd line winger which isn't nearly as important.

I think a deal around Jost + Newhook + a 2023 1st(With lottery protection) for Hertl in January, and then signing Hertl to a 6x7.5M sort of extension would be a really good deal for both sides. San Jose gets a real good center prospect back in Newhook and another young Center that may still have some upside. For the Avs we get a Center that fits much better with our contending window being right now. A Mack/Hertl 1-2 punch at least for the next 2-3 years would be among the best in the league.

Avs can role into the post season this year with Mack-Hertl-Kadri for Center depth. Then next summer move on from Kadri.

I would do this trade, and it’s probably a better use of assets, seeing as Toews/Girard are more valuable than Newhook.

I think a point in time will come though where they’ll need to make a move to give Byram significant ice-time. Unfortunately all of Toews/Girard/Byram are left handed. I suppose they could just put Girard and Toews together long term though.

As an aside… I have a hard time seeing Bednar sign off on a Girard trade. I’m not sure how much influence he has on those decisions, but he loves Girard.

Reactions: Richard88

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Newhook will need to show something for this to be a plausible plan for a contending team. It isn't 2017 anymore where you're okay with some bumps and bruises... even out right failures. The 2C in 22-23 should be able to match up with any 2C in the league in pull their weight. As simply put as possible here, Newhook has not shown he's capable of doing that yet. Not even close. Certainly possible, he does at some point, but until he does, he shouldn't be that plan. If that is the plan the Avs have, it is very risky and could risk the rest of the window.

Also, one of the biggest if not THE biggest reason their development into a contender has stalled is because they've waited way too long on some young players (notably Jost) to fill perceived roles.

Newhook seems like a good prospect but he's nowhere near the level of Byram. And it ain't like the Avs waited around for Byram to develop--they literally went out and got Toews when they already had Girard and Makar.

I'm okay with them easing him in, but if we see another totally half-assed effort to fill holes at the deadline like what we saw last season, I'm gonna throw something at my TV.

Last edited:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think this team needs Hertl since Newhook will be a fine 2C by next season. The D should be kept together, it really is the heart and soul of the team. Basically all Sakic has to do for next season is re-sign Kuemper, Nichushkin and Burakovsky. I'd prefer Kadri to Bura but his foot is already out the door.

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Burakovsky-Newhook-Ranta
Nichushkin-Jost-Compher
Bowers-Maltsev-LOC

Toews-Makar
Byram-EJ
Girard-Barron

Kuemper
Goalie

This is still a really good team because of the defense.
Newhook has a long way until he’s a good 2C based on everything we’ve seen.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I mean the sample size isn’t huge but he’s certainly not shown enough to risk the cup window own.

I think getting Hertl would hurt the team more. There isn't enough money to go around for Mackinnon and the elite defense, along with Rantanen and Landeskog. Byram will probably need a massive raise soon. Hertl will force a trade, whereas Newhook is more affordable. He has to score at a decent pace this season of course, but its the only way to afford the defense.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Newhook has a long way until he’s a good 2C based on everything we’ve seen.

It's early, but he didn't stand out that much in pre-season, and he didn't stand out that much in the last game. In terms of his long term development, it doesn't mean much, but in terms of him being ready for full time 2C duty next year, it does.

We can say this is a small sample size, and it is, but usually when a prospect is ready for a big role, they'll show it in pre-season and early in the regular season.

He can still take another step during the season this year, but the Avs should be thinking really hard about their options for 2C that don't include Newhook.

Newy could have a good second half of the season, but speaking of sample size, that's also a small sample size to give the 2C role to on a Cup contender. I feel like he's going to have to have a really good second half of the season, or playoffs, to make Sakic feel comfortable replacing Kadri with him.

If he doesn't take that step, I think there's a good chance Newhook could be trade bait for a 2C, because there aren't a lot of great options out there, especially that they can fit under the cap, and they're also pretty limited in terms of high end assets without a 1st next year.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's early, but he didn't stand out that much in pre-season, and he didn't stand out that much in the last game. In terms of his long term development, it doesn't mean much, but in terms of him being ready for full time 2C duty next year, it does.

We can say this is a small sample size, and it is, but usually when a prospect is ready for a big role, they'll show it in pre-season and early in the regular season.

He can still take another step during the season this year, but the Avs should be thinking really hard about their options for 2C that don't include Newhook.

Newy could have a good second half of the season, but speaking of sample size, that's also a small sample size to give the 2C role to on a Cup contender. I feel like he's going to have to have a really good second half of the season, or playoffs, to make Sakic feel comfortable replacing Kadri with him.

If he doesn't take that step, I think there's a good chance Newhook could be trade bait for a 2C, because there aren't a lot of great options out there, especially that they can fit under the cap, and they're also pretty limited in terms of high end assets without a 1st next year.
Yup this sums up where I’m at. Newy being a 2C during his career wouldn’t surprise me at all. But next year is asking a lot for what we’ve seen, especially on a team competing for the cup. Definitely a situation that needs to be closely looked at by Sakic and Co.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’d say very unlikely… he’ll want more money and term than the Avs will be willing to offer.
Hopefully we stay away

With the way Byram is playing, we're gonna trade Girard for a center.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think getting Hertl would hurt the team more. There isn't enough money to go around for Mackinnon and the elite defense, along with Rantanen and Landeskog. Byram will probably need a massive raise soon. Hertl will force a trade, whereas Newhook is more affordable. He has to score at a decent pace this season of course, but its the only way to afford the defense.

Depends on how we balance the lines. If we get Hertl and we can sign him for $7.5 mil or less, I think you do it and just fill in the top 6 with cheap forwards that can scrap for the puck. Something like:

Ranta - Mack - Rants
Landy - Hertl - LOC
Nuke - Jost - X

We'll probably see less points from Landy, but it'll give our 2nd line so much better possession numbers as well as reunite Jost with Nuke, where they also play well together.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That would be a mistake. Would rather include Newhook in a package
Girard leaving would clear 5M of cap space to pay for the new center. Not that I want to trade him but that's what makes sense.

Also keep in mind that this is likely the last year that we have a starting goalie for under 4M.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Girard leaving would clear 5M of cap space to pay for the new center. Not that I want to trade him but that's what makes sense.

Also keep in mind that this is likely the last year that we have a starting goalie for under 4M.
We said that last year with Grubauer, and then Sakic jettisoned Grubauer for Kuemper.

I don't know if Sakic is one of those GM's that is willing to pay a goaltender premium dollars. Kuemper also turns 32 this season. I have my doubts about Sakic re-signing him regardless of how he performs given his injury history + age.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad