2021-22 Manitoba Bisons/CW Thread

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I’m guessing Canada West games have been canceled now as well?
Those were non-conference games. The second semester is set to start on January 14th. The MJHL has 5 games on tonight. I believe there is a ceiling of 250 fans per game. The AJHL and SJHL are also going full tilt.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Preview: January 14-15: MACEWAN at MANITOBA

Macewan-nowords-maroon-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-brown-50x50.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS (3-9-0, 5-13-0, OHT35 #29)
MANITOBA BISONS (3-8-1, 4-11-1, OHT35 #21)

Friday, January 14th at 7:00 CT at Wayne Fleming Arena, Winnipeg
Saturday, January 15th at 3:00 CT at Wayne Fleming Arena, Winnipeg

Live Links:
➤ Video: CanadaWest TV
➤ Audio: UMFM 101.4 stream
➤ Friday: Live Stats Hockey Tech
➤ Saturday: Live Stats Hockey Tech

Manitoba Links:
➤ GoBisons: Changes to Bisons men’s and women’s hockey schedules in January
➤ GoBisons: Game day update regarding fans at Bisons home games
➤ CW: Stats Schedule/Results/Links
➤ LeagueStat: Stats Schedule/Results/Links

MacEwan Links:
➤ MacU: Griffins set to resume playoff chase with road doubleheader at Manitoba
➤ CW: Stats Schedule/Results/Links
➤ LeagueStat: Stats Schedule/Results/Links

Other Links:
➤ USports: Schedule/Links Standings
➤ CW: Home Page Schedule
➤ Chris D: Manitoba Bisons Allowing Up to 250 Fans at Home Games
➤ LeagueStat: Media Stats

Welcome to 2022!

The good news is that the CW starts play as scheduled. Last weekend’s non-conference games were cancelled, but most of this weekend’s schedule is going ahead as planned. This contrasts with the lockdowns out east. I see from the USports schedule that the AUS is saying “cancelled” and the OUA is saying “postponed”. What will happen there, I don’t know. In any event, that jackboot government enforcement in Montreal is a scary sight.

There are some minor tweaks. The Bison road series against Holy Trinity slated for January 21-22 will now be January 29-30 in Friendly Manitoba, due to exams at TWU. Also, there is hard cap of 250 fans at games, for the Bisons and all sporting events in Manitoba. So I guess we’ll see the first sell-out crowds on campus in a long time. Maybe a few more viewers on CanadaWest.tv, too.

This scheduling uncertainty has driven away dozens of players from out east, and a handful from the CW. This includes Bison goaltender Liam Hughes. He’s off to the Fort Wayne Komets of the ECHL. The NHL taxi squads have had a ripple effect on ECHL rosters. Hughes is off to a 1-1-1 start, 2.97 GAA, .890 S%, so good luck to him.

There are just 8 games remaining on the schedule for each CW team. Four home games against the bottom two teams in the next four games is an opportunity for the Bisons to bounce back.

ELSEWHERE IN THE CW

Sask-hockey-circle-2021-50x50.jpg
Regina-hockey-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (9-3-0, 15-5-0, OHT35 #5)
REGINA COUGARS (6-5-1, 9-7-1, OHT35 #8)

Links:
➤ UofR: Cougars revise spectator policy for on-campus and off-campus events to start 2022
➤ UofS: Update Regarding January 14 & 15 Huskie Athletics Home Games
➤ Star-Phoenix: Long wait: New U of S Huskies goalie Jordan Kooy ready to play again

The 250 fans at a Bison game will be a massive throng in comparison to Banjoland, where no fans are allowed. Just some tumbleweeds sadly blowing through both arenas in this home-and-home series. The Banjo Mutts picked up another goaltender (an AHL cut) for their crowded crease. (Story at the link.) Meanwhile, all is quiet for the surprising Kittens. They have a tough schedule to close, starting this weekend.

Trinity-Western-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg
Calgary-red-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (1-11-0, 4-13-0, OHT35 #33)
CALGARY DINOSAURS (7-4-1, 11-9-1, OHT35 #7)

Links:
➤ UofC: Dinos set for debut clash on ice with Spartans
➤ TWU: THIS WEEK IN SPARTA I WBB, MBB, WHKY, MHKY

Holy Trinity closed out 2021 with a Big W and must be delighted to avoid a whitewash. Although Bedrock U has had ups and downs, I suspect they’ll get it together.

UBC-yellow-50x50.jpg
Mount-Royal-2017-blue-50x50.jpg

U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (10-1-1, 15-1-1, OHT35 #3)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (6-5-1, 9-7-2, OHT35 #11)

Links:
➤ UBC: Winter Classic Postponed
➤ MRU: HCKY: UBC-Mount Royal series postponed
➤ CW: VB / HKY: Games postponed

First, UBC announced that their annual Winter Classic scheduled for January 21st is off. The game against Calgary will proceed, but without the festivities. This weekends’ games have been postponed because UBC never had enough players.

However ....

Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

The CW schedules have cancelled Alberta’s non-conference game against Red Deer Poly and replaced it with a game against MRU on Friday, and have left their non-conference game against Augustana on Saturday. The Bluegars were already done their season against the Evil Monkeys so maybe Friday’s game is an exhibition tilt. I'm not convinced any of these games are scheduled due to lack of common listings amongst the teams and the ACAC.

OUT EAST

OUA-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

ONTARIO

Everything postponed.

AUS-gray-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC

Everything cancelled.

Links:
➤ USports: Presto Schedule & Results
➤ OUA: LeagueStat Daily
➤ AUS: Schedule & Results

OUT WEST

ACAC-50x50.jpg

A.C.A.C.

Sat Jan 8 Briercrest 2 Concordia-Edmonton 4 (from Nov 27)
Fri Jan 14 Augustana at Concordia-Edmonton
Fri Jan 14 NAIT at Portage
Fri Jan 14 SAIT at Briercrest
Sat Jan 15 SAIT at Briercrest
Sat Jan 15 Portage at NAIT

BCIHL-pale-50x50.jpg

B.C.I.H.L.

Fri Jan 14 Victoria at Simon Fraser
Sat Jan 15 Victoria at Simon Fraser
Sat Jan 15 Powell River Regals at Vancouver Island (Senior AA)

Links:
➤ ACAC: Schedule & Results
➤ BCIHL: Schedule & Results

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Nice to see CanadaWest back in action! Fingers crossed that it doesn't get shut down. Meanwhile it's a wait and see for the AUS, especially in N.B.,where I don't think Moncton and UNB are permitted to even practice? At least until 16 days, starting Saturday.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Jan 14, 2022: Bisons Ring in the New Year with a "W"

Macewan-nowords-white-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-50px.gif

MACEWAN GRIFFINS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 4

Links:
➤ Summaries: LeagueStat : CW
➤ Game reports: LeagueStat : CW
➤ UofM: Bisons men use four unanswered goals to beat MacEwan, 4-2 (with boxscore & highlights)
➤ MacU: Team Site

After some slow patches in the 1st and 2nd periods, the Herd rallied for a solid home win after their lengthy lay-off. Here's how they lined up:

MANITOBA
Goal
31 Link (30 Hughes)

Defence
16 Hartje - 3 Harsch
5 Schioler - 6 Dyck
4 Anderson - 2 Stewart

Forwards
10 Skoleski - 23 Davis - 17 Veloso
14 Keane - 12 Jameson - 21 Basarab
26 McCorrister - 9 Thiessen - 20 Apetagon
11 Carlson - 24 Pierce - 28 Behun

Scratches
15 Dalke - 19 Halvorsen - 22 Ostir
25 Sambrook - 27 Doerksen - 29 King
35 Murphy

MACEWAN
Goal
1 Taylor (33 Davis)

Defence
2 Donohoe - 7 Comrie
3 Trott - 27 Davies
13 Schauffer - 17 Roach

Forwards
9 Webb - 19 Kope - 23 Gable
20 Thudium - 10 Reagan - 26 Taupert
8 Price - 15 Wood - 18 Correale
4 Ray - 14 Smithies - 21 Appelt

Scratches
5 Magee - 6 Kartusch - 11 Lamb
12 McLean - 16 Schmidt - 24 Mohr
25 Brandt - 30 Parkinson - 31 Porter

Quick summary:
Mac: C. Thudium (14:11 1st) , L. Schaufler (19:24 1st)
Man: R. Harsch (16:05 2nd) , N. Basarab (16:23 2nd) , L. McCorrister (08:41 3rd) , C. Hartje (10:56 3rd)
Goalies-Mac, Taylor (36 shots-32 saves). Man, Link (23 shots-21 saves).

This was tied 2-2 and the shots were 22-22 after two periods. But then the Bisons dominated the 3rd period, out-shooting the Mythical Mutants 13-1 to win comfortably.

Jeremy Link got his first win a a starting goaltender. I was not expecting Liam Hughes to be listed as the backup goaltender.

Sask-2020-S-50x50.jpg
Regina-50x50.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 4
REGINA COUGARS 7

Links:
➤ UofR: Team Site
➤ UofS: Huskies hockey set for home-and-home with Cougars (preview)

Quick summary:
Sask: V. Loschiavo (07:06 1st) , C. Petruic (13:22 1st) , A. Zawatsky (03:45 2nd) , C. Hobbs (10:36 3rd)
Reg: R. Schmidt (06:13 1st) , T. Ripplinger (05:29 2nd) , B. Platt (11:41 2nd) , B. Riddle (17:38 2nd) , B. Pouteau (04:55 3rd) , T. Heidt (08:03 3rd) , A. King-Cunningham (09:09 3rd)
Goalies-Saskatchewan, Kooy (29 shots-23 saves); Child (1 shots-0 saves). Regina, Meger (49 shots-45 saves).

The Felines have defeated the Canines for the first time in 18 regular season games in the Battle of Banjoland. There will be mass consumption of possum shanks, crawdads, and moonshine tonight in Regina. The Kittens played two men short, but that was no problem. Trailing 3-1 in the 2nd, they scored 6 straight goals to take control. A late goal for the Mutts improved the look of the scoreline. Sask's new goalie (Kooy) took the loss, and was yanked after the 6th goal. Saturday night's rematch goes in Saskatown.

Trinity-Western-2010-white-50x50.jpg
Calgary-2013-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 2
CALGARY DINOSAURS 5

Links:
➤ UofC: Crowchild Classic Saddledome games called off for 2022
➤ TWU: SPARTANS DROP ROAD CONTEST TO DINOS (with boxscore) (with boxscore and video)

Quick summary:
TWU: T. Verveda (10:48 3rd) , J. Bogress (17:50 3rd)
CGY: K. Elder (18:23 1st) , K. Elder (04:19 2nd) , T. Vanstone (12:05 2nd) , C. Gutenberg (17:14 2nd) , J. Shearer (01:46 3rd)
Goalies-Trinity, Joseph(50 shots-45 saves). Calgary, Stankowski(11 shots-9 saves).

The Bedrock Boys had a 5-0 lead until two late goals by Holy Trinity made this look respectable. The shots were 50-11 and TWU's two 3rd period goals came on 3 shots.

Bedrock U and the Bluegars have announced that their annual Crowchild Classic at the Saddledome is cancelled. It was slated for February 3rd.

Alberta-50px.jpg
Mount-Royal-2017-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 4
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 2

Links:
➤ UofA: Team Site
➤ MRU: HCKY: UBC-Mount Royal series postponed
➤ MRU: 2022 Crowchild Classic Saddledome games cancelled
➤ MRU: Team Site

This was an exhibition game required because UBC could not ice a team against MRU. This was not shown on CW.tv. MRU is done for the weekend whilst the Evil Monkeys play Augustana Saturday night.

UP NEXT

Sat Jan 15 MacEwan at Manitoba (3:00 CST)
Sat Jan 15 Regina Saskatchewan (7:00 CST)
Sat Jan 15 Trinity Western Calgary (2:00 MST/3:00 CSY)
Sat Jan 15 U.B.C. Mount Royal (postponed)
Sat Jan 15 Augustana at Alberta (6:00 MST/7:00 CST)

OUT EAST

ONTARIO

No games.

AUS-gray-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC

No games.

Links:

OUT WEST

ACAC-50x50.jpg

A.C.A.C.

Sat Jan 8 Briercrest 2 Concordia-Edmonton 4 (from Nov 27)
Fri Jan 14 Augustana at Concordia-Edmonton
Fri Jan 14 NAIT 3 Portage 1
Fri Jan 14 SAIT 3 Briercrest 2

Sat Jan 15 SAIT at Briercrest
Sat Jan 15 Portage at NAIT

BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg

B.C.I.H.L.

Fri Jan 14 Victoria 1 Simon Fraser 3
Sat Jan 15 Victoria at Simon Fraser
Sat Jan 15 Powell River Regals at Vancouver Island (Senior AA)

Links:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Nice to see CanadaWest back in action! Fingers crossed that it doesn't get shut down. Meanwhile it's a wait and see for the AUS, especially in N.B.,where I don't think Moncton and UNB are permitted to even practice? At least until 16 days, starting Saturday.
I really appreciated a night watching CW.tv again. I always like it when the season recommences, but tonight was extra special.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Jan 15, 2022: Herd Completes a Sweep

Macewan-nowords-white-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-50px.gif

MACEWAN GRIFFINS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 5

Links:
➤ Game reports: LeagueStat : CW
➤ UofM: Skoleski pots two in third, Bisons stay hot with 5-2 win over Griffins (with boxscore & highlights)
➤ MacU: Griffins can't hold early lead as Bisons storm back with four unanswered goals for 4-2 win (late Friday with boxscore)
➤ MacU: Short-handed Griffins grit out solid effort in rematch but fall 5-2 to Bisons (with boxscore)

This was very similar to Friday's game. All tied 2-2 after two, then the Bisons took control in the 3rd.

There were a few lineup changes. Mac was 3-men short with Trott, Comrie, and Correale scratched and not replaced. Sometimes teams do not travel with subs, so they may yet have a full roster next game. The Mac game story said the scratches were covid-related.

Meanwhile, the Bisons switched Doerksen in for Anderson on defence (a common roster move) and they listed Murphy in for Hughes as backup goaltender. I never got a look at the bench Friday, so I believe there is a good chance they just misprinted the Friday game sheet.

Quick summary:
Mac: J. Taupert (06:56 1st) , Z. Webb (17:33 1st)
Man: N. Basarab (12:19 1st) , G. Keane (09:03 2nd) , D. Skoleski (10:13 3rd) , N. Basarab (12:54 3rd) , D. Skoleski (17:52 3rd)
Goalies - MacEwan, Taylor (33 shots-28 saves). Manitoba, Link (22 shots-20 saves).

While the Mutants lost three players after Friday, the Bisons lost three of their own on Saturday. Davis is their best forward and he injured his ankle early in the 2nd period and did not return. Veloso and Keane were injured later, but did return.

Basarab entered the weekend with no goals, and left with three. With Davis down, linemate Skoleski picked up the pace and recorded his 6th and 7th goals.

I would say that the results extinguish Mac's playoff dreams, while the Bisons pull within two points of the Cougars. And not the Regina Cougars, the MRU Bluegars!

I also thought that the uniform colours went well together, as an added bonus. Both teams uploaded nice pictures.

22-01-14-Mac-Man-Link.jpg

22-01-14-Mac-Man-Veloso.jpg

22-01-15-Mac-Man-Behun-Dyck.jpg

22-01-15-Mac-Man-Davis.jpg

Trinity-Western-2010-white-50x50.jpg
Calgary-2013-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 2
CALGARY DINOSAURS 9

Links:
➤ UofC: Elder scores twice as Dinos dominate Spartans (late Friday with boxscore and highlights)
➤ UofC: Dinos net nine to sweep Spartans (with boxscore and highlights)
➤ TWU: SPARTANS DROP SECOND STRAIGHT AGAINST DINOS (with boxscore)

Quick summary:
TWU: J. Klessens (07:53 1st) , J. Klessens (04:24 2nd)
Cal: N. King (03:03 1st) , J. Shearer (10:59 2nd) , M. Patterson (15:49 2nd) , J. Shearer (00:44 3rd) , M. Patterson (05:03 3rd) , T. Vanstone (08:39 3rd) , B. Schoonbaert (10:49 3rd) , J. Rieger (18:50 3rd) , A. Atwal (19:55 3rd)
Goalies - TWU, LaBelle (57 shots-48 saves). Calgary, Stankowski (16 shots-14 saves).

What can you say about this one? I just caught the very ending since this one and the Bison game started at the same time. When I tuned in it looked like Holy Trinity was looking for a while flag.

Regina-50x50.jpg
Sask-2020-S-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS 3
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 11

Links:
➤ UofR: Shorthanded Cougars take out No. 4-ranked Huskies in Regina (late Friday with boxscore)
➤ UofS: Huskie Men's Hockey Fall to Regina Cougars (late Friday with boxscore)
➤ UofS: Ball, Kaluski record hat tricks, as Huskies win big over Cougars (with boxscore)

Quick summary:
Reg: R. Krane (11:10 2nd) , T. Coughlin (13:12 3rd) , D. McCabe (18:42 3rd)
Sask: D. Neuls (14:09 1st) , J. Ball (19:53 1st) , J. Ball (00:48 2nd) , C. Petruic (03:10 2nd) , C. Hobbs (05:08 2nd) , J. Ball (07:21 2nd) , J. Kaluski (04:42 3rd) , J. Kaluski (08:54 3rd) , Z. Franklin (15:02 3rd) , A. Bulych (18:25 3rd) , J. Kaluski (19:35 3rd)
Goalies - Regina, Meger (22 shots-16 saves); Buskey (19 shots-14 saves). Saskatchewan, Ross (20 shots-17 saves).

With a light NHL schedule I was hoping that my CWTV subscription would satisfy my yearnings for hockey variety. While the score was just 2-0 after one, the Banjo Mutts were dominating the Banjo Cats. Three goals in 5 minutes of the 2nd period put this away, so I switched games. Things were no better in Saudi Alberta. (See below.) Good thing the only HNIC early game was a dandy. (Leafs beat Blues 5-4, BTW.)

Of note, Regina had a full roster after having won shorthanded on Friday. In fact, both teams had 19 skaters listed at LeagueStat. Heidt was penalized 2 minutes for ?ineligible player?. Was this related? And did Regina not have their own counter? Where did Professor Jethro Bodine go after that Grey Cup fiasco a few years back? Maybe this will be explained when the Regina game story is uploaded.

Of note, the Doggies were 6-for-6 on the power play.

Augustana-2017-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

AUGUSTANA VIKINGS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 14

Links:
➤ UofA: Team Site
➤ UAA: Team Site

Yikes! As I mentioned, I flipped over here when the Battle of Banjoland got out of hand. But this followed suit, and then some. UAA is 1-5-0 in the ACAC, so I was not expecting them to win. But Yeesh!

UP NEXT

Fri Jan 21 Alberta at Saskatchewan
Fri Jan 21 Regina at Mount Royal
Fri Jan 21 Calgary at U.B.C.
Fri Jan 21 Manitoba at Trinity Western - rescheduled to Sat Jan 29 in Manitoba

OUT EAST

Note to fans of OUA and/or AUS teams: I have faith that you will get some hockey yet, so I am continuing to include your segments. To look on the positive side, when your teams do come back you will likely just appreciate it that much more. If you will follow the CW more closely than usual in the meantime, hopefully you will find these posts and links useful. Cheers!

ONTARIO

No games.

AUS-gray-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC

No games.

Links:

OUT WEST

ACAC-50x50.jpg

A.C.A.C.

Fri Jan 14 Augustana 1 Concordia-Edmonton 6 (late result)
Sat Jan 15 SAIT 3 Briercrest 4
Sat Jan 15 Portage 2 NAIT 8

Fri Jan 21 Red Deer at Briercrest
Fri Jan 21 Concordia-Edmonton at NAIT
Fri Jan 21 Portage at Augustana

BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg

B.C.I.H.L.

Sat Jan 15 Victoria 3 Simon Fraser 5
Sat Jan 15 Powell River Regals (Senior AA) at Vancouver Island ppd
Fri Jan 21 Alaska-Fairbanks (NCAA) at Simon Fraser
Sat Jan 22 Victoria at Vancouver Island
Sat Jan 22 Alaska-Fairbanks (NCAA) at Simon Fraser

Links:

Reactions: AUS Fan

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
I went to my first ever Bisons hockey game on Saturday. It was awesome, they go hard out there. (It wasn't a total surprise, I had a good idea what to expect since I had been to a few Golden Bears hockey games years ago.) I'm planning to go back when they play TWU later this month. Looking forward to the playoff push.

I guess I can add the Bisons to the list of local teams that I'm a fan of... bookmarking this thread :)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
January 19: News & Notes

Manitoba-gold-50-X50.jpg

After just one week of the semester, the Bisons have their final bye week of the schedule this coming weekend. The Bisons were originally scheduled to head off to Beautiful British Columbia for their inaugural encounter with Holy Trinity. However, those with influence out there thought that their exam schedule took priority. So they made the Bisons an offer they couldn't refuse: Move the games to January 29-30 (a Saturday/Sunday doubleheader) in Friendly Manitoba. So when the Spartans do arrive, their GPAs will be a few points higher, even if they do have just one win.

I have linked a weekend wrap-up from The Manitoban (with picture) and the announcement that Noah Basarab was male AOW at the U of M.

Links:
➤ GoBisons: Noah Basarab and Autumn Agar are Boston Pizza Bison Sports Athletes of the Week
➤ The Manitoban: Men's hockey dominant over Griffins

22-01-15-Mac-Man-Veloso.jpg

Calgary-UC-50x50-silver.jpg
Mount-Royal-2017-MRU-50x50-cyan.jpg
UBC-yellow-50x50.jpg

In another schedule adjustment, the Crowchild Classic between MRU and Calgary was originally moved from February 3rd (at the Saddledome) to February 4th (at the Father David Bauer Arena) because of crowd restrictions. It has now been moved to February 12th to complete a typical weekend double-header between those two teams. The latter move was to accommodate UBC's cancelled trip to MRU scheduled for January 14th-15th. UBC will now visit MRU on February 4th and 5th.

The CW left some slack in the schedule, cutting back from 28 to 20 games. I don't see any further slack, so I wonder if they would push back the season. While I hope for nationals, it really doesn't look good out east. Therefore, why not play CW playoffs a week or two later?

Links:
➤ CTV Calgary: Crowchild Classic postponed, games won't be played at Scotiabank Saddledome
➤ UofC: Dinos hockey games rescheduled
➤ MRU: UBC-Mount Royal series rescheduled to Feb. 4/5

Regina-2020-50x50.jpg

Regina has now posted their Saturday night game story. There was nothing mentioned about that "ineligible player" penalty against them. Each side had 21 names on the game sheet. This looks like it will remain a mystery.

Links:
➤ UofR: Cougars finish with weekend split after road loss to Saskatchewan

So what is Ontario doing with the lockdown nonsense? They have deemed university and college teams to be non-elite and deserving of lockdown, whereas other leagues can play on. I thought this would be a short-term thing but I guess not. The SportsNet story I linked is from January 5th, but apparently nothing's changed. The OUA president weighed in (also linked). A complete slap-in-the-face to all OUA athletes. This doesn't bode well for the OUA going forward. Maybe they should open campuses in Florida! Lakehead University at Key West has a nice ring to it.

Links:
➤ SportsNet: Ontario student athletes shut out from indoor play face more disruptions
➤ SportsNet: Why is the OUA not considered an 'elite league' by Ontario? (video)
➤ OUA: OUA is ELITE - An Open Letter

U-Sports-50x50.jpg

Anybody checked USports' website lately? It remains horrible and lacking in content. I was checking in on the Top Ten. It stopped with December 6-12, 2021. To be fair, the CW website has also trimmed back on content a lot.

Links:
➤ USports: Men's Hockey Site

Reactions: jetsmooseice

Huskiedoo

Jan 20, 2022
Hey Hollywood. I will fill you in on the “ineligible player” mystery as there’s no mystery to it at all! The guy lost his helmet during play and, instead of heading to the bench as required, the Cougars player retrieved the helmet, put it on and didn’t buckle up the chin strap!!
Penalty! No mystery. Nothing about COVID. Not a roster infraction. No conspiracy theory here.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Hey Hollywood. I will fill you in on the “ineligible player” mystery as there’s no mystery to it at all! The guy lost his helmet during play and, instead of heading to the bench as required, the Cougars player retrieved the helmet, put it on and didn’t buckle up the chin strap!!
Penalty! No mystery. Nothing about COVID. Not a roster infraction. No conspiracy theory here.
So a chin strap violation.
What about each team listing 21 players?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Preview: January 21-22: BISON BYE WEEK

To cut to the chase, one table summarizes the CW home stretch.

22-01-21-CW-remaining-schedule.jpg

Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (9-2-1, 19-4-1, OHT35 #2)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (10-4-0, 16-6-0, OHT35 #5)

Links:
➤ UofS: PREVIEW: 'There's a history here': Huskies set to play host to rival Golden Bears
➤ UofA: Bears and Pandas Catch-Up: Men's Hockey

This is the annual highlight of the season series for these teams. This year, just 2 points separate the top 4 teams, all of whom are paired off this weekend. Oddly, the Evil Monkeys do not have a top 10 scorer so far. However they have two games left against each of Mac and Trinity. The Mutts seem to veer off course once in a while. Both sides, though, have lost to Regina already.

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
UBC-Hockey-blue-2019-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS (9-4-1, 13-9-1, OHT35 #8)

Links:
➤ UBC: Conference leading 'Birds return to host Dinos
➤ UofC: Team Website

With this series in Pacific Time, and the Sask series in Central Time, Friday will make for a nice double-header on CWTV. I'm still not sure about UBC. They have 6 games against non-expansion teams. All 4 games against Alberta and Manitoba were one-goal games (1-1 in regulation and 1-1 in overtime). Their two wins against Sask were impressive but were also the Mutts' low point. Calgary is similar. 5-0-0 against expansion teams and 4-4-1 against the rest.

REGINA COUGARS (7-6-1, 10-8-1, OHT35 #7)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (6-5-1, 9-8-2, OHT35 #11)

Links:
➤ MRU: Team Website
➤ UofR: Team Website

This could be the most intriguing Cougar fight in years. If one side could sweep this they would almost seal a playoff berth whilst the other fights tooth-and-nail down the stretch. The Bluegars have been a disappointment. Their Yaremko-Sawchuk duo is the best in the league. However, they had a missing ingredient in the first semester. The Banjo Cats have been a shocker. They have managed to get splits when being blown away in a loss. That is bound to catch up with them.

OUT EAST

ONTARIO

All games postponed.

AUS-gray-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC

All games cancelled.

Links:

OUT WEST

ACAC-50x50.jpg

A.C.A.C.

Sat Jan 22 Red Deer at Briercrest
Sat Jan 22 NAIT at Concordia-Edmonton
Sat Jan 22 Augustana at Portage

BCIHL-pale-50x50.jpg

B.C.I.H.L.

Links:

Last edited:

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Preview: January 21-22: BISON BYE WEEK

To cut to the chase, one table summarizes the CW home stretch.

22-01-21-CW-remaining-schedule.jpg

Alberta-green-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (9-2-1, 19-4-1, OHT35 #2)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (10-4-0, 16-6-0, OHT35 #5)

Links:
➤ UofS: PREVIEW: 'There's a history here': Huskies set to play host to rival Golden Bears
➤ UofA: Bears and Pandas Catch-Up: Men's Hockey

This is the annual highlight of the season series for these teams. This year, just 2 points separate the top 4 teams, all of whom are paired off this weekend. Oddly, the Evil Monkeys do not have a top 10 scorer so far. However they have two games left against each of Mac and Trinity. The Mutts seem to veer off course once in a while. Both sides, though, have lost to Regina already.

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
UBC-Hockey-blue-2019-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS (9-4-1, 13-9-1, OHT35 #8)

Links:
➤ UBC: Conference leading 'Birds return to host Dinos
➤ UofC: Team Website

With this series in Pacific Time, and the Sask series in Central Time, Friday will make for a nice double-header on CWTV. I'm still not sure about UBC. They have 6 games against non-expansion teams. All 4 games against Alberta and Manitoba were one-goal games (1-1 in regulation and 1-1 in overtime). Their two wins against Sask were impressive but were also the Mutts' low point. Calgary is similar. 5-0-0 against expansion teams and 4-4-1 against the rest.

REGINA COUGARS (7-6-1, 10-8-1, OHT35 #7)
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (6-5-1, 9-8-2, OHT35 #11)

Links:
➤ MRU: Team Website
➤ UofR: Team Website

This could be the most intriguing Cougar fight in years. If one side could sweep this they would almost seal a playoff berth whilst the other fights tooth-and-nail down the stretch. The Bluegars have been a disappointment. Their Yaremko-Sawchuk duo is the best in the league. However, they had a missing ingredient in the first semester. The Banjo Cats have been a shocker. They have managed to get splits when being blown away in a loss. That is bound to catch up with them.

OUT EAST

ONTARIO

All games postponed.

AUS-gray-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC

All games cancelled.

Links:

OUT WEST

ACAC-50x50.jpg

A.C.A.C.

Sat Jan 22 Red Deer at Briercrest
Sat Jan 22 NAIT at Concordia-Edmonton
Sat Jan 22 Augustana at Portage

BCIHL-pale-50x50.jpg

B.C.I.H.L.

Links:
Friday’s ACAC game between Augustana and Portage is postponed.
Postponed: Vikings Men's Hockey vs. Portage Voyageurs - January 21st, 2022

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad