May 12, 2007
December 4: The First Semester Has Ended

Mount-Royal-2017-50x50.jpg
Sask-2020-S-50x50.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 4
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 7

Links:
➤ Summaries: LeagueStat : CW
➤ UofS: Huskies score five in third, come back from three down in win over Cougars (with boxscore)
➤ MRU: Team Website

The Bluegars blew this one badly. They were up 4-1 late in the 2nd period, and 4-2 with just over 8 minutes left. Sask is now 9-3-0 and MRU is 6-5-1, tied with Regina for 5th.

Quick summary:
MRU: R. Holmes (04:11 1st) , R. Lindgren (11:40 1st) , R. Holmes (01:05 2nd) , K. Walker (09:23 2nd)
Sask: W. Johnson (10:01 1st) , D. Holt (11:39 2nd) , S. Collins (11:55 3rd) , W. Johnson (15:11 3rd) , J. Dmytriw (15:38 3rd) , J. Ball (17:44 3rd) , C. Folk (18:14 3rd)
Goalies-Mount Royal, Sims 2-3-0-0 (27 shots-21 saves). Saskatchewan, Ross 6-1-0-0 (33 shots-29 saves).

Macewan-nowords-white-50x50.jpg
Alberta-50px.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS 0
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 6

Links:
➤ UofA (Friday late): Third period surge sends Bears over Griffins
➤ MacU (Friday late): Taylor stands tall, but wheels fall off late for Griffins' defence in 5-0 loss to Golden Bears

For the second night in a row the Evil Monkeys shut out their cross-town rivals and held them to just three shots in the third period. The Apes are now 9-2-1 and the Mutants are 3-9-0.

Quick summary:
AB: E. Florchuk (03:59 1st) , T. Preziuso (05:48 2nd) , R. Hughes (07:16 2nd) , J. Freadrich (09:28 2nd) , T. Preziuso (13:03 3rd) , T. Preziuso (18:41 3rd)
Mac: none
Goalies-MacEwan, Porter 2-4-0-0 (36 shots-30 saves). Alberta, Schneider 5-0-1-0 (19 shots-19 saves).

UBC-wo-birds-50x50.jpg
Trinity-Western-2010-white-50x50.jpg

U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 2
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 0

Links:
➤ TWU: Team Website
➤ UBC: Team Website

Like the Battle of Edmontown, the Battle of British California saw back-to-back shut-outs. Although the score was close, this wasn't much of a battle. These teams still have two games against one another. I doubt Holy Trinity will win one of those, unless UBC has no chance to move in the standings on the final weekend. UBC heads into Christmas first at 10-1-1 and TWU is last at 1-11-0.

Quick summary:
UBC: C. McNabb (06:21 1st) , C. Douglas (12:07 1st)
TWU: none
Goalies-UBC, Toth 9-1-1-0 (25 shots-25 saves). Trinity Western, Joseph 1-6-0-0 (43 shots-41 saves).

NEXT UP

Fri Jan 7 U.B.C. at Simon Fraser (BCIHL ex)
Sat Jan 8 Red Deer Poly at Mount Royal (ACAC ex)

OUT EAST

OUA-blue-circle-2021-50x50.jpg

ONTARIO
Sat Dec 4 Nipissing 4 R.M.C. 2
Sat Dec 4 Windsor 3 Waterloo 2
Sat Dec 4 Queen's 5 Ontario Tech 1
Sat Dec 4 McGill 7 Concordia 3
Sat Dec 4 Ryerson 4 Toronto 3 (ot)

Note: Ryerson v Toronto was not on original schedule.

AUS-gray-50x50.jpg

ATLANTIC
Sat Dec 4 New Brunswick 1 U.P.E.I. 3
Wed Dec 29 McGill at U.P.E.I. (OUA ex)
Thu Dec 30 McGill at New Brunswick (OUA ex)

Links:
➤ USports: Presto Schedule & Results
➤ OUA: LeagueStat Daily
➤ AUS: Schedule & Results

OUT WEST

ACAC-50x50.jpg

A.C.A.C.
Sun Dec 5 Concordia-Edmonton at Augustana

BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg

B.C.I.H.L.
no games

Links:
➤ ACAC: Schedule & Results
➤ BCIHL: Schedule & Results

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Sunday Morning Links

Alberta-A-50x50.jpg

Links:
➤ UofA: Preziuso powers Bears in 6-0 win over MaEwan (with boxscore)

Macewan-nowords-black-50x50.jpg

Links:
➤ MacU: Griffins blanked 6-0 by Golden Bears in final game of first semester (with boxscore)

TrinityWestern-2010-blue-50x50.jpg

Links:
➤ TWU: SPARTANS DROP SECOND OF WEEKEND SERIES WITH THUNDERBIRDS (with boxscore)

UBC-yellow-50x50.jpg

Links:
➤ UBC: Toth records second straight shutout as ‘Birds sweep Spartans (with boxscore)

TEAM CANADA JUNIORS

U-Sports-50x50.jpg
Hockey-Canada-50x50.jpg

It is also time for university players to get a crack at the world junior team. Last year there was going to be an expanded camp, due to few juniors and no collegians having had a chance to play. Alberta, Mount Royal, and Calgary were to have played two games each.

The USports team has been a national selection since 2015, and has a cumulative record of 6-4-1. This year, a national selection was slated to travel to Switzerland next weekend for the Universiade. That has been called off. I believe that the Evil Monkeys were penciled in as the opponent this year, but I cannot find verification anywhere.

In games against CW teams, Team Canada has a 6-5 edge. Against OUA and AUS teams, Team Canada is 14-1, with one tie.

I believe that the games would be Friday, December 17th and Saturday December 18th.

Links:
➤ Hockey Canada: National Junior Team Training Camp Schedule
➤ Fandom/Wiki: CWUAA - Team Canada Juniors
➤ USports: U SPORTS Men's Hockey All Star Game - History

Reactions: Rob

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
December 6: Remaining CW Schedule

Every team has 8 games left, in a 5-week span.

21-12-06-CW-remaining-schedule.jpg

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
December 8th: Bisons Add Non-Conference Game

21-12-07-MJHL-v-Bisons.jpg

Coming out of the Christmas Holiday season, we will get a local exhibition game between the MJHL All-Stars and the Manitoba Bisons. The game will be on Wednesday, January 5th at the Wayne Fleming Arena on campus. Since the weekend of January 7th-8th is a CW conference bye week, it is essential to get some game action. The lack of exhibition play damaged the Bisons early on, IMO. Back in the day, these sorts of match-ups were a much more frequent occurrence. I would also like to see the Bisons play the Ice, but WHL teams avoid such games at all costs now-a-days. And why not the Southeast Prairie Thunder as they begin an Allan Cup chase? They did have an unpublicized scrimmage with the Manitoba Moose in September.

Links:
➤ MJHL: MJHL All-Stars to take on University of Manitoba Bisons

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
MRU loses another player

Unless 2nd semester additions arrive, they will have a 23-man roster. Their top line is so good, they dominate ice time. In the 2nd half, I suspect it will get tougher for top lines to dominate.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Where is Noah Philp this year? After a good rookie season with Alberta he never returned (hasn’t been listed on their roster page) and it doesn’t look like he’s playing anywhere this season.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Interesting, as he played 2 games with Stockton (AHL) in 2020, and nothing else since, according to hockey db and elite prospects..
Was a top 6 forward with the Bears and decided to pursue pro.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
December 10th: C.W. Non-Conference Games

CW-2017-Manitoba-50x50.jpg
MJHL-2021-50x50.jpg
Briercrest-50x50.jpg
Simon-Fraser-hockey-2015-50x50.jpg
NAIT-50x50.jpg
SAIT-2018-50x50.gif
Red-Deer-50x50.jpg
Augustana-2017-50x50.jpg

There are, all of a sudden, a host of schedule additions in the CW. This makes sense because no games were scheduled for the weekend of January 7th-8th. Here's the schedule:

Wed Jan 5 MJHL All-Stars at Manitoba
Thu Jan 6 Regina at Briercrest College (ACAC)
Fri Jan 7 U.B.C. at Simon Fraser (BCIHL)
Fri Jan 7 Calgary at Alberta
Fri Jan 7 MacEwan at N.A.I.T. (ACAC)
Fri Jan 7 S.A.I.T. (ACAC) at Saskatchewan
Sat Jan 8 Red Deer Poly (ACAC) at Mount Royal
Sat Jan 8 Regina v Manitoba (at Virden)
Sat Jan 8 Alberta at Calgary
Sat Jan 8 N.A.I.T. (ACAC) at MacEwan
Sat Jan 8 S.A.I.T. (ACAC) at Saskatchewan
Fri Jan 14 Red Deer Poly at Alberta - now cancelled
Sat Jan 15 UA-Augustana (ACAC) at Alberta

Alberta has the bye on January 14th-15th. It will be good to see non-conference games against other conferences.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
December 10th: Team Alberta v Team Canada

USports-Hockey-Canada-107x50.jpg

With last-minute changes to the USports International Schedule due to cancellation of the Universiade, there have been delays in getting the annual Junior v University games solidified. The Hockey Canada links are tough to figure out. It looks like one USports team will play the Team Canada Juniors on Saturday and Sunday this weekend, and possibly another team (or maybe the same team) will face them Friday and Saturday next weekend. Check the links and see what you think about next weekend.

For now, Team Alberta (goaltenders will come from the Juniors) looks like this:

Defencemen
3 Tyson Helgesen - Mount Royal
4 Clayton Kirichenko - Alberta
5 Ryan Gagnon - Calgary
7 Dylan Plouffe - Alberta
8 Kyle Walker - Mount Royal
18 Sean Comrie - MacEwan

Forwards
10 Josh Prokop - Alberta
11 Tyler Preziuso - Alberta
13 Riley Sawchuk - Mount Royal
14 Eric Florchuk - Alberta
15 Matthew Fonteyne - Alberta
16 Grayson Pawlenchuk - Alberta
17 Ryley Lindgren - Mount Royal
19 Kaden Elder - Calgary
20 Nolan Volcan - Alberta
21 Jake Gricius - Calgary
23 Nolan Yaremko - Mount Royal
25 Riley Brandt - MacEwan

That's 8 Monkeys, 5 Bluegars, 3 Dinos, and 2 Griffins.

No word on any streaming yet.

Links:
➤ USports: Mount Royal's Yaremko and Sawchuk headline roster for 2021 U SPORTS Men's Hockey All-Star Series
➤ UofA: Eight Bears named to U SPORTS All-Star squad
➤ UofC: Dinos named to 2021 U SPORTS Men's Hockey All-Star Series at WinSport
➤ MRU: Five players & three coaching staff to represent MRU in U SPORTS Men's Hockey All-Star Series
➤ MacU: Brandt, Comrie and Ringrose named to U SPORTS all-star team going against World Junior squad
➤ Hockey Canada: Schedule and Scores
➤ Hockey Canada: National Junior Team Selection Camp Practice Schedule

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
December 10th: Team Alberta v Team Canada

USports-Hockey-Canada-107x50.jpg

With last-minute changes to the USports International Schedule due to cancellation of the Universiade, there have been delays in getting the annual Junior v University games solidified. The Hockey Canada links are tough to figure out. It looks like one USports team will play the Team Canada Juniors on Saturday and Sunday this weekend, and possibly another team (or maybe the same team) will face them Friday and Saturday next weekend. Check the links and see what you think about next weekend.

For now, Team Alberta (goaltenders will come from the Juniors) looks like this:

Defencemen
3 Tyson Helgesen - Mount Royal
4 Clayton Kirichenko - Alberta
5 Ryan Gagnon - Calgary
7 Dylan Plouffe - Alberta
8 Kyle Walker - Mount Royal
18 Sean Comrie - MacEwan

Forwards
10 Josh Prokop - Alberta
11 Tyler Preziuso - Alberta
13 Riley Sawchuk - Mount Royal
14 Eric Florchuk - Alberta
15 Matthew Fonteyne - Alberta
16 Grayson Pawlenchuk - Alberta
17 Ryley Lindgren - Mount Royal
19 Kaden Elder - Calgary
20 Nolan Volcan - Alberta
21 Jake Gricius - Calgary
23 Nolan Yaremko - Mount Royal
25 Riley Brandt - MacEwan

That's 8 Monkeys, 5 Bluegars, 3 Dinos, and 2 Griffins.

No word on any streaming yet.

Links:
➤ USports: Mount Royal's Yaremko and Sawchuk headline roster for 2021 U SPORTS Men's Hockey All-Star Series
➤ UofA: Eight Bears named to U SPORTS All-Star squad
➤ UofC: Dinos named to 2021 U SPORTS Men's Hockey All-Star Series at WinSport
➤ MRU: Five players & three coaching staff to represent MRU in U SPORTS Men's Hockey All-Star Series
➤ MacU: Brandt, Comrie and Ringrose named to U SPORTS all-star team going against World Junior squad
➤ Hockey Canada: Schedule and Scores
➤ Hockey Canada: National Junior Team Selection Camp Practice Schedule
TSN is streaming the game online through their app, without play-by-play. Juniors lead 1-0 after one.

Edit: Final 3-0 for Juniors.

Last edited:

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Is it me or does it always seem that Hockey Canada?TSN/Sportsnet downplays USports?
This team was by no means a Sports All Star Team, but that's what the public will think.
Let’s be real, it’s going to take a complete restructure of how things are run in terms of marketing etc for any of the general public’s perception to change. I honestly think if Owen Power had decided to go to U of A this year no one would blink an eye , they’d wonder why he gave up on hockey … the average hockey fan I know is convinced that CIS hockey is Busch league no matter how much info I throw at them, they have decided if it doesn’t exist in the same world as the NHL it’s irrelevant. I find it’s especially true with my age group (under 30). I have wondered where the future fan is going to come from because my generation gets off on the light shows , gimmicks and promos , at this point I have resorted to no longer caring what the average fan thinks, and enjoying the fact that I am able to go watch ECHL level hockey in an empty barn and no one but me seems to no it’s happening .

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I can think of 2 AUS teams that I think would have beaten the “USports All stars” in a series.

It's always problematic to put together an All-Star Team for these series because they will not play cohesively. I'd argue that either the U of A or the U of S would have fared better than this All-Star team because, if nothing else, they'd be better organized. I'd love to have seen Babcock's Huskies take on this team for a game.

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Didn't they play U of A one year?
2012 U of A won 4-1 .
I wish we could see more games with powerhouse teams as opposed to these hodgepodge “all star” teams. It would look much better on university hockey to say “A team from USports contended with an all star team of CHL players” than “USports finest took on the World Juniors”.
Being able to say that Alberta defeated team Canada was the best fact ive been able to pull out to convince people on the caliber of university hockey in Canada .

Reactions: Rob

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
You're not going to "convince" people that CIS hockey is very good, overall. Most people I know who go to a Moosehead (QMJHL) game are going to be seen by other folks from the office or because their kids drag them. They love it when a fight happens or they yell "shoot the puck" during every PP. They don't really know hockey. They don't know that the guys playing CIS are the same guys they yelled at to shoot.
Case in point: Some of you know of Jody Shelly. He was a GOD in Halifax. When he finished his Junior career, he went to DAL. No one at a Moosehead game had any idea where he was the following year.
Looking back to SMU-UNB finals at the old Forum: 4000 plus fans, loving the hockey. Folks saying "I'll come watch next season". Next season - same old 200 family and friends. CIS will always be a "cult" sport for most of us.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
2012 U of A won 4-1 .
I wish we could see more games with powerhouse teams as opposed to these hodgepodge “all star” teams. It would look much better on university hockey to say “A team from USports contended with an all star team of CHL players” than “USports finest took on the World Juniors”.
Being able to say that Alberta defeated team Canada was the best fact ive been able to pull out to convince people on the caliber of university hockey in Canada .
The links above have all the scores. These are the Canada West scores:

Reactions: Hagstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad