B-Sens 2021-22 Belleville Senators - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Lodin looks like he has a real nice skillset. Has Mann said anything on him yet in any interviews? He's such a straight shooter, id love to hear his thoughts so far
Usually has a segment Tuesday’s on TSN1200

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Belleville still has one more regular season game next Saturday. Depending on how this week goes they could be getting all of Ridly Greig, Zack Ostapchuk, Tyler Boucher, Carson Latimer and Chandler Romeo as reinforcements. The Wheat Kings are 1-1, Giants 1-1, 67's 0-2, Raiders 0-2, Sting 0-2. I wouldn't expect Latimer or Romeo to get games but all of Greig, Ostapchuk and Boucher could be in serious consideration to play.

Belleville could also get Parker Kelly from Ottawa once the Sens season is done. The players I am less certain about eligibility are Jake Sanderson, Shane Pinto and Angus Crookshank. If Sanderson is healthy he should be eligible. As for Pinto and Crookshank if they are healthy enough to play they might be eligible but there could possibly be some issues with eligibly based on whether they were on the AHL clear day roster or not. Given the fact that they have both been on LTIR they were up with Ottawa and may have not been able to have been assigned to Belleville for the clear day requirements.
Jeez, that's like potentially icing a completely different team for the playoffs compared to most of the season...

Kelly-Pinto-
Crookshank-Lodin-Boucher
Ostapchuk-Greig

Sanderson

8 guys that mostly haven't been there all year (I guess Kelly did half a season in Belleville). I would imagine it would be really hard to work all of them into the lineup with having to learn the system and build chemistry.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Kastelic, Kelly and now even Lodin have been making a very strong case that they should/could be Senators players in the near future

Thing is I think Ridly Greig and Angus Crookshank will also be very hard to keep off the team (Pinto and Sanderson too of course). If we don't even acquire a Top-6 Winger :

Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Brown
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson

But what about Colin White? Angus Crookshank? Viktor Lodin? Egor Sokolov? Roby Jarventie? Cole Reinhardt?

At least Jarventie can continue developing in the AHL but it's going to be hard to play everybody, unless we have several forwards injuries like this season, which we really don't want again.

We can also take our luxury time with Boucher, Ostapchuk, Daoust, etc.

No point to re-sign Gaudette, Gambrell and Bishop. Let the UFA forwards walk as well.

Massive logjam coming up.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Kastelic, Kelly and now even Lodin have been making a very strong case that they should/could be Senators players in the near future

Thing is I think Ridly Greig and Angus Crookshank will also be very hard to keep off the team (Pinto and Sanderson too of course). If we don't even acquire a Top-6 Winger :

But what about Colin White? Angus Crookshank? Viktor Lodin? Egor Sokolov? Roby Jarventie? Cole Reinhardt?

At least Jarventie can continue developing in the AHL but it's going to be hard to play everybody, unless we have several forwards injuries like this season, which we really don't want again.

No point to re-sign Gaudette, Gambrell and Bishop. Let the UFA forwards walk as well.

I think Daoust, Crookshank, Lodin, Jarventie, and Reinhart are all in Belleville for the whole season barring lots of injuries. If progression stays the way it has I suspect Sokolov to see play post TDL with Crookshank having an outside chance at playing if he gets back into form. Greig is a complete wild card to me I could see him split his time between AHL/NHL or spend the whole season in either league, it will depend a lot on whether the big club picks up more than one forward in the offseason. White will be bought out, traded or play in a depth position with the Sens.

Our forward core is shaping up to be really good again next year with the defence being the biggest question mark for Belleville (and Ottawa I guess too)

Reactions: Emrasie

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau

Your picture of the upcoming lineup shows why Colin White has become obsolete. There is many cheaper alternatives to Colin White. Time to pull the plug with him and cut your losses.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Daoust, Crookshank, Lodin, Jarventie, and Reinhart are all in Belleville for the whole season barring lots of injuries. If progression stays the way it has I suspect Sokolov to see play post TDL with Crookshank having an outside chance at playing if he gets back into form. Greig is a complete wild card to me I could see him split his time between AHL/NHL or spend the whole season in either league, it will depend a lot on whether the big club picks up more than one forward in the offseason. White will be bought out, traded or play in a depth position with the Sens.

Our forward core is shaping up to be really good again next year with the defence being the biggest question mark for Belleville (and Ottawa I guess too)

Lodin turns 23 y/o in June and Crookshank turns also 23 y/o in October. The clock is already ticking for these guys. Based on his development curve, his play in Belleville and rookie camp/preseason, I firmly believe Crookshank would have been a regular if he didn't get injured. Several young players careers got derailed because of these injuries before but I hope he gets back to 100% next season.

For Daoust and Jarventie, we can take our time. Sokolov turns 22 y/o in June so we could afford another AHL season ala Paul. He needs to continue improving his skating anyway. Reinhardt is most likely a "cup-of-coffee" guy so it doesn't matter much. He'll get games when there are injuries

Greig is still pretty young and he only turns 20 y/o 2 months before the season. This guy is a natural, it will be hard to keep him off. Not a big deal if he doesn't "make it". An AHL rookie season wouldn't hurt him and Belleville will need to be competitive too

What is fun is we're really going to be underrated next season but we might actually surprise a lot if we can stay healthy. Sanderson, Pinto and Greig could have a major impact, plus our depth guys could be Kastelic, Kelly, Thomson, JBD, etc instead of some of the replacement level players we have used this season.

We still are in a great situation. IMO we need to add 2 good/great vets, just fine-tune the lineup and rise again.

Your picture of the upcoming lineup shows why Colin White has become obsolete. There is many cheaper alternatives to Colin White. Time to pull the plug with him and cut your losses.

I like White and he seems like a great guy to be around. He is also a pretty decent 3rd liner, but just overpaid. As we know, the reality in this market (ownership issues or not) doesn't allow us to waste money and all of Connor Brown, Alex Formenton and Mathieu Joseph are a better use of money on the 3rd line wings. They are plus+ skaters and also can be quite good defensively, while chipping more offense. A Formenton-Pinto-Brown line would drive the opposition crazy.

At center, White doesn't have a chance to beat Norris/Stutzle/Pinto for a top-9 spot and Kastelic/Kelly are more adequate (and cheaper) for the 4th line spot.

We should just buy him out and let him re-sign (around his real ~3.25 value) to a place where he'd get a better opportunity.

Reactions: Emrasie

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Any trade possible to Montreal that would make any kind of sense? Some were suggesting Drouin for White. Buying out Drouin maybe cheaper.
There is literally almost nothing on the Montreal roster that makes us better.

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
Yes, i agree with you. It’s just garbage in, garbage out kind of trade. But, Sens would save about 10millions. Maybe Drouin can have a fresh start. I can’t see how this isn’t a win for Ottawa. I just don’t see White living up to his contract.

Reactions: Duncstar

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Jeez, that's like potentially icing a completely different team for the playoffs compared to most of the season...

Kelly-Pinto-
Crookshank-Lodin-Boucher
Ostapchuk-Greig

Sanderson

8 guys that mostly haven't been there all year (I guess Kelly did half a season in Belleville). I would imagine it would be really hard to work all of them into the lineup with having to learn the system and build chemistry.
Fortunately nearly all players have spent some time under the tutelage of Troy Mann. Kelly, Crookshank and Greig all played games in Belleville last year and practiced with the team for at least a couple of weeks. Pinto, Crookshank, Greig and Ostapchuk all took part in the Sens rookie tournament where Mann ran the camp. Boucher spent around a week with Belleville after he got signed by Ottawa, he was even expected to make his debut in a mid week game but because the 67's season stared back up he got sent there instead. Lodin has already been practicing and playing with the team and has been pretty successful so far.

The only player who hasn't worked with Troy Mann is Jake Sanderson but he has been working up in Ottawa and the systems are pretty similar. He also plays very structured hockey as do the likes of Pinto, Boucher and Ostapchuk who have not played any AHL games thus far.

Mann would probably want to get a few of those players in the lineup right away if they are healthy and available. As for the others, they would likely have them practice with the team for a bit and then either have them as an injury replacement or to take the place of a struggling depth player. Overall some of these players would be really helpful for a deeper playoff run as they could be a bit step up in talent over some of the ECHL alternatives. Maybe Belleville can go on a bit of a run this year with the added reinforcements.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes, i agree with you. It’s just garbage in, garbage out kind of trade. But, Sens would save about 10millions. Maybe Drouin can have a fresh start. I can’t see how this isn’t a win for Ottawa. I just don’t see White living up to his contract.
Our centres next year are Norris, Stuetzle, Pinto and Kastelic if we move White, with Pinto coming off major surgery. It might be best to keep White for centre depth.

Reactions: Bileur and DrEasy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Our centres next year are Norris, Stuetzle, Pinto and Kastelic if we move White, with Pinto coming off major surgery. It might be best to keep White for centre depth.

Naaa. Theres your 4C’s. Greig or a RP can fill in if needed. Greig will get games in Ottawa next year anyway.

We don’t need $5 million at 5-6C.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Naaa. Theres your 4C’s. Greig or a RP can fill in if needed. Greig will get games in Ottawa next year anyway.

We don’t need $5 million at 5-6C.
I would have loved to have White at centre this year over Gambrell, Shaw, Bishop, Paul, etc….

Reactions: DrEasy

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

You are probably the biggest fan of Crookshank on here, but after losing the entire season to injury I just don't see him playing any games this season & IMO will probably be in Belleville most of next yr just to regain the yr of development he lost. I also like Greig a lot, but given how well Lodin has looked in Europe & now in Belleville I think he will make a strong case for that LW spot next yr beside Stutzle rather than Greig who will probably get some development time in Belleville. No one talks about Lodin making Ottawa next yr, but I think it is very possible. I agree with the rest of your forward lineup, but at 22/23 yrs old & given his size & strength he is showing, not to mention his skillset, Lodin will be an intersting guy to keep an eye on.

Reactions: God Says No

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You are probably the biggest fan of Crookshank on here, but after losing the entire season to injury I just don't see him playing any games this season & IMO will probably be in Belleville most of next yr just to regain the yr of development he lost. I also like Greig a lot, but given how well Lodin has looked in Europe & now in Belleville I think he will make a strong case for that LW spot next yr beside Stutzle rather than Greig who will probably get some development time in Belleville. No one talks about Lodin making Ottawa next yr, but I think it is very possible. I agree with the rest of your forward lineup, but at 22/23 yrs old & given his size & strength he is showing, not to mention his skillset, Lodin will be an intersting guy to keep an eye on.
I agree with you on Lodin. He's come in, out of Sweden's top league, and made a clear impact. He's getting enough games in to get familiar with the rink size and the systems we run. Downside for you is he might take a spot from Sokolov.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
If we don't have a salary crunch next year, I'd keep White. There's nothing wrong with plenty of centre depth. Our season was arguably tanked this year because we had limited C depth.

White's cap hit isn't atrocious and the contract will be movable with a bit of retention if needed. He's only got two years left on his deal after next

Reactions: DrEasy and GCK

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Quite a few guys will be pushing for spots next year. Some of those that don’t make it should be used as trade bait before their values depreciate.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This is kinda sad but true

Suzuki if we didn't have Stutzle/Norris, Caufield has offensive talent but he's a Hoffman at the moment, not the type Stu needs on his wing. Romanov if we didn't have Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom/Holden and eventually Kleven. Allen is injury prone too, doesn't fix the Murray situation. I'd take Edmundson for the 3rd pairing but we have Hamonic/Holden

Really trying to think. I would have claimed Rem Pitlick on waivers for the bottom-6 but that's about it. We don't want to add overpaid players with term like Gallagher, Petry or Anderson.

Ok I found, I'd take Jake Evans

Yeah but where do you play him?

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
???????? - Stutzle - ????????

Joseph, Greig, Lodin, Giroux (if we can get him) and maybe some other guys will want to be part of that top-9 (Joseph has an inside track)

It's not that I am a "fan" but more based on his AHL games, rookie camp and pre-season work, as well as management/coaching comments, he looked like he was going to grab a spot and never look back. Nothing really to add here as I am just repeating. I also already talked about the injury and possible setback. See post #483, all of this was addressed there.

I agree on Lodin, like I said he has been making a very strong case that he should/could be with the big team in the near future. That doesn't mean Greig wouldn't make the team as well but something will need to happen. Actually with these 2 guys maybe we don't need wingers (I'd really want to have a veteran stop gap like Giroux)

Lodin/Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Kelly/Crookshank - Kastelic - Watson

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
This is kinda sad but true

Suzuki if we didn't have Stutzle/Norris, Caufield has offensive talent but he's a Hoffman at the moment, not the type Stu needs on his wing. Romanov if we didn't have Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom/Holden and eventually Kleven. Allen is injury prone too, doesn't fix the Murray situation. I'd take Edmundson for the 3rd pairing but we have Hamonic/Holden

Really trying to think. I would have claimed Rem Pitlick on waivers for the bottom-6 but that's about it. We don't want to add overpaid players with term like Gallagher, Petry or Anderson.

Ok I found, I'd take Jake Evans

Yeah but where do you play him?

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
???????? - Stutzle - ????????

Joseph, Greig, Lodin, Giroux (if we can get him) and maybe some other guys will want to be part of that top-9 (Joseph has an inside track)

It's not that I am a "fan" but more based on his AHL games, rookie camp and pre-season work, as well as management/coaching comments, he looked like he was going to grab a spot and never look back. Nothing really to add here as I am just repeating. I also already talked about the injury and possible setback. See post #483, all of this was addressed there.

I agree on Lodin, like I said he has been making a very strong case that he should/could be with the big team in the near future. That doesn't mean Greig wouldn't make the team as well but something will need to happen. Actually with these 2 guys maybe we don't need wingers (I'd really want to have a veteran stop gap like Giroux)

Lodin/Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Kelly/Crookshank - Kastelic - Watson
I’d still trade Brannstrom for Romanov. Romanov isn’t great but he plays a nasty game for the 3rd pair. I would mind seeing a Brannstrom Romanov 3rd pair in a couple years.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Sogaard out 2 weeks, Murray done for season, Mandolese not in game shape.

Guess Gus will be shuffling back and forth between Ottawa and Belleville.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad