NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Dorion said he turn the simulation draft every morning and don’t stop until, he hit the 1 and 2 lol. Said Melnyk talk to Bettman often for remember to not screw us. Have faith it’s ours turn for the draft lottery
Melnyk talking to Bettman doesn't help the Sens. Gary would love Eugene to just go away.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I want to draft a player who is a star on the ice from day one. None of this learn the game in the minors.

Id rather we not be a team that puts prospects in right away we are doing a rebuild correctly for now. I mean i doubt it happens but im not opposed to top prospects needing to play in the AHL for a season or two.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Id rather we not be a team that puts prospects in right away we are doing a rebuild correctly for now. I mean i doubt it happens but im not opposed to top prospects needing to play in the AHL for a season or two.
You don't understand. With this high of a pick I want a monster out the gates.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I want to draft a player who is a star on the ice from day one. None of this learn the game in the minors.

Id rather we not be a team that puts prospects in right away we are doing a rebuild correctly for now. I mean i doubt it happens but im not opposed to top prospects needing to play in the AHL for a season or two if its in their best interest and they show the need to play in the AHL.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Id rather we not be a team that puts prospects in right away we are doing a rebuild correctly for now. I mean i doubt it happens but im not opposed to top prospects needing to play in the AHL for a season or two if its in their best interest and they show the need to play in the AHL.
That is true but not the type of player I want in this draft. By the allstar break I want him to be our most dynamic leading scorer and win the calder in a land slide.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

We arent the Oilers who previously would have put all their top picks in the NHL right away even if they needed time in the minors. Malkin had 2 extra seasons after being drafted (mind you it was an exceptional situation) and look how he turned out. Whats wrong with being patient in how our players develop?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That is true but not the type of player I want in this draft. By the allstar break I want him to be our most dynamic leading scorer and win the calder in a land slide.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Big ice hockey is extremely different from small ice, and you can finesse your way out of most situations. There is no avoiding the battle space in the NHL. It's why little DaCosta left the Sens as a bit part and wound up a top scorer overseas. Karlsson is a super elite offensive defenseman, and partly because he can't defend around his own net on small ice, he is a career minus player.

And you're right - 26 years ago, the Rangers with 2 very offensive defensemen won the Cup, and one was so elite he led the playoffs in scoring. Could happen again, but again, on a budget team, and 2 undersized guys, I don't see it. Soft rosters never win the playoffs.

Daigle was a high speed, high skill smaller player who couldn't handle the middle of the ice, and basically flopped. He wasn't even forced to battle in the slot except for scoring opportunities, and he went from junior star to very average because he was only effective on the edge. Now imagine a defenseman with the same profile forced to battle in his own zone for 10-12 minutes a game, giving up the size factor on every battle. Logically it could be the same outcome. If the scoring is not elite, there is little to fall back on. A few soft, skilled forwards on a roster can win a Cup. A few soft, skilled defensemen and it doesn't happen.

Daigle failed because he was WAY more interested in partying than he was in playing hockey. Guy never had the drive and the love for the game but he was so good that he basically coasted into being a top pick. At the NHL level his work ethic was exposed. He wasn't really small (6'0 and 200) once he filled out. He just didn't put in the work. His talent was obvious. I was a STH back then and he's literally the only player you could HEAR make his first few strides. His skating was explosive and he could score. Just didn't care.

Don't see any of that with Drysdale.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
So does that mean Alexander Holtz is REALLY under-rated? I think he makes an impact in the NHL next year depending on who drafts him.
Holtz is clearly the best goal scorer in the draft and should be going top eight so maybe not super underrated.

I’d imagine Holtz would put up ridiculous numbers if we switched spots with Quinn and was on the 67s being the main trigger man on the pp and getting weaker matchups on the second line.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

But the fact of the matter is the only player in this draft like that is Lafreniere. There are a few others who are probably close. But really how many players from any given draft are "monsters out of the gate"?

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Holtz is clearly the best goal scorer in the draft and should be going top eight so maybe not super underrated.

I’d imagine Holtz would put up ridiculous numbers if we switched spots with Quinn and was on the 67s being the main trigger man on the pp and getting weaker matchups on the second line.
I think Lafreniere will score the most goals in this class.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
So does that mean Alexander Holtz is REALLY under-rated? I think he makes an impact in the NHL next year depending on who drafts him.

Yeah I would say he's underrated by most. But like JungleBeats said, not super underrated. I've been one of the most critical of him on this board at times, questioning his two way play, translatabilty, how well he'll adapt to the pace and intensity of the NHL. I've said he and Perfetti are the most likely in the top 10 to bust to some degree.

Yet I have Holtz ranked higher than most at 5. Because just think about the kind of impact he might have if he is able to make the adjustment. He could easily be a perennial 35-40 goal and 70+ point scorer; maybe he approaches 50 goals and 90+ points in his prime if he's playing with an elite playmaker.

Also, as MelnykOut points out, if he's able to make this much of an impact in the SHL already, he's likely pretty close to NHL-ready by next year. But if I had to guess I'd say he's still one more year away.

Reactions: Cosmix
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad