NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART V

Status
Not open for further replies.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I am okay if we end up with Byfield and give him 20 games in the NHL (every second game) to see if he can handle 5-10 min a night. Lend him to the WJC and see if he can get up to 8-15 minutes of ice by the end of the year. Kid is so young but may resist a team returning him to junior.

I don't think there's any chance he goes back to junior. You have to remember he has yet to play against men. Will his numbers translate? We'll see.

I think he gets the Spezza treatment and starts in the A.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
I just listened to the Dorion interview from the Drive, and he said 1-7 you will end up with an elite player. (Or something to that effect)

You think of a guy like Rossi. Incredibly smart on the ice. That's why he can get away without elite skating (not that his skating is bad)

I would not be disappointing if we landed him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think there's any chance he goes back to junior. You have to remember he has yet to play against men. Will his numbers translate? We'll see.

He can’t go to the AHL. Spezza played there because of the NHL work stoppage. Scary, but if he isn’t the OHL he will be in the NHL and hold his own or get the LAZAR treatment (limited minutes, loaned to U20).

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am okay if we end up with Byfield and give him 20 games in the NHL (every second game) to see if he can handle 5-10 min a night. Lend him to the WJC and see if he can get up to 8-15 minutes of ice by the end of the year. Kid is so young but may resist a team returning him to junior.
Exactly how is he going to resist a team returning him to junior?

Honestly, I think that would be just about the worst way to handle him or any prospect...
If he's not good enough to get at least 10-15 mins a night, send him back down.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
He can’t go to the AHL. Spezza played there because of the NHL work stoppage. Scary, but if he isn’t the OHL he will be in the NHL and hold his own or get the LAZAR treatment (limited minutes, loaned to U20).

Hmm I didn't know he wasn't eligible for the A. I wouldn't be upset if we picked Byfield 2nd overall I just want Stutzle more.

The kid can skate like the wind, has a very high IQ for offence and so much skill

I think that was partially why Dorion went to Europe, to check him out and I have no doubt he impressed.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Morreale, Kimmelman and Lepage from NHL.com mock the top 31.

Mock 2020 NHL Draft: Drysdale, Sanderson among top defensemen

1. All 3 Lafreniere
2. 2/3 Byfield , 1 Stutzle
3. 2/3 Drysdale , 1 Stutzle
4. Rossi, Stutzle, Byfield
5. Drysdale, Sanderson, Rossi
6. Holtz, Rossi, Raymond
7. All 3 Perfetti
8. Sanderson, Quinn, Holtz
9. Quinn, Holtz, Lundell
10. Lundell, Raymond, Askarov

D focus (D picked by all 3)
Drysdale gone by 5
Sanderson gone by 13
Guhle gone by 14
Schneider gone by 17
Poirier gone by 27
Barron gone by 31

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Spezza didn't play in the AHL because of a work stoppage, at least not in the way you're implying. He played in the OHL the year after being drafted, and after his team was eliminated he joined the AHL club for the playoffs (like Lehner did when they won the calder cup). The NHL stoppage was several years later, after he played a season and a half in the NHL.

But you're right, Byfield is not eligible for the AHL.

Reactions: InTkachukWeTrust

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

Id rather we just send him to the OHL if he doesn't look ready. I don't care how bad this team is we should not under any circumstance rush a prospect.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Marr
Jamie Drysdale is in that Elite Category.
Drysdale always ended up ahead of Sanderson in any discussion
Sanderson moved up because of the group that followed he is the best guy to build a team around ( that would be Rossi, Perfetti, Quinn, etc...)
Lapierre is expected to be healthy
Likes Zayde Wisdom .. went from 90 to 54... High compete player, Strong, can play physical, dirty area game and has the skill as well.
Foerster - big jump 41 to 21.. Prospects game on .. he showed more hockey sense, improved his skating, used his size, consistent. Power forward package.
Sanderson - most impressive player at the All American prospects game
Stutzle - impressed with his play in the DEL and WJC.
Holtz- Sniper of a shot, Hockey Sense, Scores
Raymond - Explosive , Dynamic, Excellent offensive instincts, Did not get to produce with Frolunda. they had a strong team, Raymond didn't get to play as much as Holtz
Lundell - Smart, Hard Working, Hockey Sense, Not Flashy.. Postively impacts the game
Daws - Central scouting verifies ht and wt with every team in CHL.. Daws lost 35 lbs. Consistently in the Zone all year. Showed he wants it.
First round is full of skilled , talented players. Players are more and more playing the game to get to the NHL. Hockey Sense is more and more important. Skill quotient stands out this year.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa

Id rather we just send him to the OHL if he doesn't look ready. I don't care how bad this team is we should not under any circumstance rush any of our 1st round picks. I don't care if we have to plug a scrub there.

Reactions: DrunkUncleDenis

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Big ice hockey is extremely different from small ice, and you can finesse your way out of most situations. There is no avoiding the battle space in the NHL. It's why little DaCosta left the Sens as a bit part and wound up a top scorer overseas. Karlsson is a super elite offensive defenseman, and partly because he can't defend around his own net on small ice, he is a career minus player.

And you're right - 26 years ago, the Rangers with 2 very offensive defensemen won the Cup, and one was so elite he led the playoffs in scoring. Could happen again, but again, on a budget team, and 2 undersized guys, I don't see it. Soft rosters never win the playoffs.

Daigle was a high speed, high skill smaller player who couldn't handle the middle of the ice, and basically flopped. He wasn't even forced to battle in the slot except for scoring opportunities, and he went from junior star to very average because he was only effective on the edge. Now imagine a defenseman with the same profile forced to battle in his own zone for 10-12 minutes a game, giving up the size factor on every battle. Logically it could be the same outcome. If the scoring is not elite, there is little to fall back on. A few soft, skilled forwards on a roster can win a Cup. A few soft, skilled defensemen and it doesn't happen.

The WJC wasnt even an olympic sized ice, i have ignored that error already once but you're doubling down on it again.

They couldnt be any more different. You're simply way off here. Drysdale slows the game down and controls the pace. Daigle pushed the pace too fast and his game was unable to translate at the NHL level.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Honestly, I think that would be just about the worst way to handle him or any prospect...

Nearly all 1-2 OA picks recently play in the NHL after getting drafted. Some deserve it some don’t. That early draft position comes with the pressure of the player not signing. I went back 10 years and found only 1 of 20 players who didn’t start in the NHL. I doubt the 2020 draft is the one to reverse this trend unless the player’s camp supports it.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

He can choose not to sign with the Senators and consider playing in Europe or wherever. The noise alone of the Sens not being able to sign their 2OA pick will add a lot of pressure.

I would assume most including the Senators think he should play in junior ...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Nearly all 1-2 OA picks recently play in the NHL after getting drafted. Some deserve it some don’t. That early draft position comes with the pressure of the player not signing. I went back 10 years and found only 1 of 20 players who didn’t start in the NHL. I doubt the 2020 draft is the one to reverse this trend unless the player wants it.

What does not signing have to do with us not sending him back to the OHL?

We will cetainly sign him, or any other 1st rd draft pick aside from college guys. But signing him doesn't prevent us from sending him back to the OHL.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What does not signing have to do with us not sending him back to the OHL?

We will cetainly sign him, or any other 1st rd draft pick aside from college guys. But signing him doesn't prevent us from sending him back to the OHL.

The player can use the threat of not signing with the Sens and possibly playing in Europe. Even less than that is the threat of starting an adversarial relationship with their star player.

I’m not saying I like it but 19/20 (and more) of 1-2 picks play in the NHL and they all were not ready. There are more pressures other than player evaluations deciding some of those situations.

If the Sens had 2-3 I’d rather they take Stutz at 2. It would clear him to play him in the AHL if warranted and make it easier to return Byfield at the 3 slot.

Edit: 2/20 Reinhart and Murray. A weak forward and a small D.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

The Spezza treatment is back in the OHL.

Edit: Already been talked about.

Last edited:

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Presuming Byfield will look good in camp, then I'd think he gets the 8 games, perhaps sitting on occasion during the first month, with the default being to send him back after he has had those 8 games without burning his year. This is the same treatment we did with Chabot and Logan Brown, where you let them experience being with the team for a month, learning what it's like to be a pro, seeing what the pace and physicality is first hand and getting to know your future team mates. He might not play a ton - 8-10 minutes a night, and a bit more at times - but you don't sweat that or worry about letting him sit a few games here and there during the first month, because you're going to send him back November 1st and he's going to play a ton for the next 5-6 months after that including WJC, an OHL playoff rn etc.

And if during those 8 games he shows he's one of our top 6 forwards, not overwhelmed and clearly a fit on the team, then you keep him.

No harm sending Byfield back, especially as an August birthday. He's a year younger than Lafrenierre, so a pretty big difference in maturity.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Presuming Byfield will look good in camp, then I'd think he gets the 8 games, perhaps sitting on occasion during the first month, with the default being to send him back after he has had those 8 games without burning his year. This is the same treatment we did with Chabot and Logan Brown, where you let them experience being with the team for a month, learning what it's like to be a pro, seeing what the pace and physicality is first hand and getting to know your future team mates. He might not play a ton - 8-10 minutes a night, and a bit more at times - but you don't sweat that or worry about letting him sit a few games here and there during the first month, because you're going to send him back November 1st and he's going to play a ton for the next 5-6 months after that including WJC, an OHL playoff rn etc.

And if during those 8 games he shows he's one of our top 6 forwards, not overwhelmed and clearly a fit on the team, then you keep him.

No harm sending Byfield back, especially as an August birthday. He's a year younger than Lafrenierre, so a pretty big difference in maturity.

I agree. The only harm is what the player’s camp forms from the potential demotion. It cost him a year on his ELC and eventual UFA eligibility. That’s probably worth a shot to his ego and $10 million.

I think it will be pretty clear that his development is behind players like Brown, Norris, and Formenton and hopefully easy for him to understand returning to junior.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

We did exactly that with Zibanejad, though he got about 12 mins a night.

It's a time tested stratedgy and i fully expect it to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad