NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The most sensible solution would be an expanded playoff format. They should do a 26 team playoff with the first round being a play in round. I believe it was Elliott Friedman who brought up that some better teams don't like the idea of a bye, because it means that they have to go in cold against teams who have already played a round of hockey. To fix that, the 5 non-playoff teams could play an exhibition round against the teams who get a bye into the second round of the tournament.

The result of that would be a draft lottery between the five non-playoff teams. The playoff teams would then seed based on a combination of how early they are eliminated, and their 2020 season point percentage.

The fairest way would be to re-order the teams by point percentage that were out of the playoffs after the play-in round for the draft lottery.

But I'd go 24 teams. Have the top 2 teams in each division skip the play-in round. Have 16 teams competing for the #3 spots and the wild cards.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I understand the idea because if we don’t finish the season, and go to playoff in September. Team don’t make the playoff don’t play before middle of November

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I wonder if the NHL will feel the need to compensate Playoff bound teams for the picks they traded, loading up for their Cup runs?
That's the only reason I can see the draft format changing, along with teams that could have potentially qualified for playoffs being added.

I wonder if something where Picks 1-30 are are drawn, but each team only has the ability to move up or back 3 spots would work?

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
After several days of Future Scope not updating their mock draft, it got updated sometime last night/this morning.

2. F Quinton Byfield - Sudbury, OHL
3. D Jamie Drysdale - Erie, OHL
15. G Yaroslavl Askarov - SKA-Neva St. Petersburg, VHL
33. D Michael Benning - Sherwood, AJHL (Committed to Univ. of Denver).
49. F Grant Slukynsky - Warroad High, USHS (Committed to Univ. of Northern Michigan).
50. F Blake Biondi - Hermantown High, USHS (Committed to Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth).
53. D Justin Barron - Halifax, QMJHL
64. D Adam Wilsby - Sodertalje SK, Allsvenskan
79. F Connor McClennon - Winnipeg, WHL
95. F Carson Bantle - Chicago, USHL (Committed to Michigan Tech).
152. D Jack Thompson - Sudbury, OHL
158. F Alex Young - Canmore, AJHL (Committed to Colgate Univ.)
185. D Alex Cotton - Lethbridge, WHL

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
OHL coaches poll is out. Some draft notables:

Most Improved Player, Eastern Conference:

1. Jack Quinn
2. Tyson Foerster
3. Zayde Wisdom

Most Improved Player, Western Conference:

3. Luke Evangelista

Smartest Player, Eastern Conference:

1. Marco Rossi
2. Shane Wright

Smartest Player, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti
2. Jamie Drysdale

Best Playmaker, Eastern Conference:

1. Marco Rossi

Best Playmaker, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti

Most Dangerous In Goal Area, Eastern Conference:

3. Jack Quinn

Best Skater, Western Conference:

2. Jamie Drysdale
3. Jean-Luc Foudy

Best Shot, Eastern Conference:

3. Jack Quinn

Best Shot, Western Conference:

3. Jacob Perreault

Best Stickhandler, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti

Best On Face-Offs, Eastern Conference:

2. Marco Rossi

Best Defensive Forward, Eastern Conference:

2. Marco Rossi

Best Penalty Killer, Eastern Conference:

3. Marco Rossi

Best Offensive Defenseman, Western Conference:

2. Jamie Drysdale

Best Shootout Shooter, Eastern Conference:

1. Marco Rossi

Best Shootout Shooter, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti

2019-20 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I wonder if the NHL will feel the need to compensate Playoff bound teams for the picks they traded, loading up for their Cup runs?
That's the only reason I can see the draft format changing, along with teams that could have potentially qualified for playoffs being added.

I wonder if something where Picks 1-30 are are drawn, but each team only has the ability to move up or back 3 spots would work?

There has been mention of potential compensatory picks for those that traded for a UFA, and he remains unsigned. So if you traded a 2nd for a pending UFA, you are given a 2nd at the end of the 2nd round to make up for it. I don't think the Isles would - Pageau re-signed - but for other deals, possible. Might also mean they wait a year for compensatory picks to see whether a player re-signed or not.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
OHL coaches poll is out. Some draft notables:

Most Improved Player, Eastern Conference:

1. Jack Quinn
2. Tyson Foerster
3. Zayde Wisdom

Most Improved Player, Western Conference:

3. Luke Evangelista

Smartest Player, Eastern Conference:

1. Marco Rossi
2. Shane Wright

Smartest Player, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti
2. Jamie Drysdale

Best Playmaker, Eastern Conference:

1. Marco Rossi

Best Playmaker, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti

Most Dangerous In Goal Area, Eastern Conference:

3. Jack Quinn

Best Skater, Western Conference:

2. Jamie Drysdale
3. Jean-Luc Foudy

Best Shot, Eastern Conference:

3. Jack Quinn

Best Shot, Western Conference:

3. Jacob Perreault

Best Stickhandler, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti

Best On Face-Offs, Eastern Conference:

2. Marco Rossi

Best Defensive Forward, Eastern Conference:

2. Marco Rossi

Best Penalty Killer, Eastern Conference:

3. Marco Rossi

Best Offensive Defenseman, Western Conference:

2. Jamie Drysdale

Best Shootout Shooter, Eastern Conference:

1. Marco Rossi

Best Shootout Shooter, Western Conference:

1. Cole Perfetti

2019-20 OHL Coaches Poll Winners – Ontario Hockey League

The respect for Rossi is evident wow, he’s all over the place.

Businessman-looking-through-binoculars.jpg

Just looking for Byfield here.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy and derriko

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Anyone want to give me cliff notes on Perfetti? He was on that coaches poll list a lot in important categories.

Sounds like, from what little ive read, the question about his upside is due to average skating? Vision, play-making, smarts, stick-handling...sounds like hes got everything else.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Anyone want to give me cliff notes on Perfetti? He was on that coaches poll list a lot in important categories.

Sounds like, from what little ive read, the question about his upside is due to average skating? Vision, play-making, smarts, stick-handling...sounds like hes got everything else.

Yeah this is about it. The one thing everyone is saying is "offensive instincts off the charts". I'm sure you saw his 5 breakaway goal game against Sweden? Someone here compared him Eberle earlier this year. I thought that was good, but he's a much better and more creative playmaker than Eberle. Problem is, with the excess of creativity and confidence, he makes a lot of what NHL teams would consider "low-percentage plays".

So I guess the question will be, is he that skilled of a player that he'll be able to get away with 80-90 giveaways a year and put up 90+ points, or is he going to have to scale it back a bit and give up on some offense to fit into a team structure. A lot of it might depend where he's drafted.

Reactions: derriko

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017

Perfetti is an absolutely elite offensive forward with tremendous puck skills and hockey IQ. Can play the roll of sniper or dishman. Will undoubtedly be a top 6 winger, but size and non-elite skating are the only question. His skating is very good, just not truly elite. It's a step up from Rossi's skating, for instance. He won't be a true burner at the NHL level, but he he'll be better than average I'd say. But his hands and instincst are as good as anyone in the draft. His performance at the Hlinka was one for the ages, where he was head and shoulders above everyone at the tourney. 8 goals in 5 games I believe while leading the tourney in scoring. He was more of a sniper coming into the season, but transitioned into one the league's top playmakers, alongside Rossi (both voted tops by coaches in their respective division). Speaks to his offensive versatility. Like Rossi, also thrives on the PP as the QB from the halfboards, but moving all around. I say his upside slightly higher than Rossi's offensively, but his floor is lower - if he's not producing, he'll be a negative to your team. Rossi plays the more important position at C, so I'd probably lean Rossi, but would be really happy with either player between 4-8. I like him more than Raymond and Holtz, although they are all close. He is an offensive game breaker in the mold of Gaudreau or perhaps a Debricat (bigger than both, of course). That's the upside. Downside is someone who has trouble applying the skills at the next level, so more of a complimentary winger ala Tatar, Perron, Reilly Smith, Toffoli. The Eberle comparison is a really good one, although I'd say he's a bit more multidimensional offensively. But close comparison. I don't think his downside is much lower than a 25-25 guy on your 2nd line though. I'm a fan, obviously.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So how about a Filip Forsberg comparison? A more playmaking version of Eberle would not be my pick in the range the Sens are probably going to pick in, but I absolutely would take a Forsberg type after 3rd overall, and maybe even 3rd itself.

Seems the only thing setting Rossi and Perfetti apart is position in most peoples eye?

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
So how about a Filip Forsberg comparison? A more playmaking version of Eberle would not be my pick in the range the Sens are probably going to pick in, but I absolutely would take a Forsberg type after 3rd overall, and maybe even 3rd itself.

Seems the only thing setting Rossi and Perfetti apart is position in most peoples eye?

Forsberg's more of a Hossa type. He's big, fast and pretty powerful, and more of a pure scorer. 6'2 and 200+

Perfetti will never be a power forward, but a more balanced and multi-dimensional offensive talent. Perhaps more dynamic, but smaller and slighter, so perhaps not as effective in the NHL. That's the question.

I'd say Perfetti is likely a tad more dynamic than Rossi offensively (skating and with the puck), but Rossi has the better motor, is the better all around player and the kind of player you put on in the last minute regardless of the score. For Rossi, maybe think of a player like Pageau in terms of pure skills, but add a step up in terms of offensive hockey IQ (Pageau isn't bad, but Rossi is elite).

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Perfetti isn't powerful enough or good enough defensively at this point that I think it's likely he'll end up much like a Filip Forsberg.

Worst case would be something like Sam Gagner or Corey Locke. Best case would be, I dunno, Kucherov-Lite.

It's funny cus I see those two compared to eachother a lot. Both OHL, both smallish, some questions about their skating. But they're drastically different players. On the surface, both have elite hockey sense. But the elite aspect of Perfetti's hockey sense is instinct. He just knows the game, reads and reacts. Loves to have the puck on his stick, loves to be the one making things happen.

Rossi is almost the opposite. Much more cerebral, contriving and anticipating more than reading and reacting. He loves to use his teammates and create offense away from the puck with his skating routes and puck support. Great on give-and-goes. The thing that makes me so optimistic about Rossi's upside is that I think it will translate seamlessly to the NHL.

Notice Rossi also got votes for best defensive forward and best PKer. Perfetti is going to need some coaching. But with Rossi the question is just about the upside. A lot has to go right for a 5'9 player to turn out to be Brad Marchand, instead of Rocco Grimaldi. Something like Pageau or Trocheck seem like a realistic backup plan for Rossi's development.

Reactions: derriko and Cosmix

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Forsberg's more of a Hossa type. He's big, fast and pretty powerful, and more of a pure scorer. 6'2 and 200+

Perfetti will never be a power forward, but a more balanced and multi-dimensional offensive talent. Perhaps more dynamic, but smaller and slighter, so perhaps not as effective in the NHL. That's the question.

I'd say Perfetti is likely a tad more dynamic than Rossi offensively (skating and with the puck), but Rossi has the better motor, is the better all around player and the kind of player you put on in the last minute regardless of the score. For Rossi, maybe think of a player like Pageau in terms of pure skills, but add a step up in terms of offensive hockey IQ (Pageau isn't bad, but Rossi is elite).

Yea I think a worst case you're getting with Rossi is a Pageau with better vision, while the best case is something like a Marchand or a Alfredsson. A top tier two-way line driver with a non-stop motor who can out think everyone on the ice. He probably lands somewhere in the middle, but he's gonna be the type of player that's just good at everything regardless.

An underrated part about his game is his shot, especially the release on his snapshot. He barely moves his stick but the puck is flying top corner before the goalie can react. Bodes well when a player can be dangerous as a shooting option or a passing option and at the same time has the poise to pick the right one.

I think we have to ask ourselves if Rossi was 6ft where would he go? But the thing is, he's as strong as any 6 ft player on his skates anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad