3rd
Alex Formenton (#10)
Belleville Senators
G: 1 | A: 0

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Encouraging stuff. Troy Mann is capable of setting up a good system despite a very weak defense. That's what good coaches do.

I was very skeptical about Sokolov after the first few games but maybe he just needed a pace adjustement. Great thing if this guy is a fast learner.

I still hope we acquire 1 or 2 good AHL D-men

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Encouraging stuff. Troy Mann is capable of setting up a good system despite a very weak defense. That's what good coaches do.

I was very skeptical about Sokolov after the first few games but maybe he just needed a pace adjustement. Great thing if this guy is a fast learner.

Seems meaningless to add salary to Belleville this year. Next year they should be adding though.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Back couldnt handle carrying the expectations of Sens fans

Turning into mid career spezza before even getting started. I know i'm always preaching patience with the guy but these injuries are pretty perplexing and frustrating to see.

Reactions: DrEasy and aragorn

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Troy Mann talked about Sokolov the other day and offered a bit of an explanation of what you saw. He said that they have been throwing a ton of information at Sokolov so he has a lot to process. He said that in the first few games you could see Sokolov really thinking on the ice and that maybe his feet hadn't caught up with his head. He said since then Sokolov has got his feet going and that is why he is so successful at this point.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hopefully, Ottawa will have a very good player with Sokolov, they could certainly use more depth at RW.

Reactions: Icelevel

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Slowly but surely, he has all the makings to be a top of the line power forward in the mold of Wheeler.

Wheeler? Not to be contradictory but that's an odd comparison. First of all, Wheeler is very fast for his size. It's not even sure that Sokolov will be fast enough for the NHL. Also, Wheeler is more of a playmaker, Sokolov is more of a goal scorer, his best tool is his shot. And Wheeler is not really a powerforward, he uses his size to win battles in the corners and protect the puck but he doesn't really play like a power forward. I guess it depends of one's definition for that term

Is Sokolov playing like a PF? I haven't watched the last few games (decided it was too awful to watch), but in the first 4 games, I thought he was getting manhandled by smaller Laval players, I was actually very surprised by this but didn't think it would last though. Is Nick Paul a powerforward? I wouldn't say so even though he's strong as an ox and good luck to win a battle in the corners with him.

Finally, not to be pessimistic but I doubt Sokolov even comes close to become a Wheeler who has 423 pts in his last 423 games, PPG since 2015-16

I would be very happy if Sokolov learns to play like Nick Paul, and maybe bring more offense with his shot. Nick has a very good shot too but doesn't seem to have that many occasions to wire it.

Troy Mann talked about Sokolov the other day and offered a bit of an explanation of what you saw. He said that they have been throwing a ton of information at Sokolov so he has a lot to process. He said that in the first few games you could see Sokolov really thinking on the ice and that maybe his feet hadn't caught up with his head. He said since then Sokolov has got his feet going and that is why he is so successful at this point.

Thanks, didn't catch that

So you are now shifting to comparing the defensive ability of this team to average NHL teams ? The original point was comparing this team to last years team. I guess a year softens some people’s recollection of how horrible our D zone play was last year, constantly hemmed in our own zone multiple times a period zero breakout etc..

Forgot to answer this. Of course, our defense was still below average last year, but not as bad as this year in the sense that it was more structured and less prone to terrible giveaways in dangerous areas. I can tell you as a goalie that it's easier to make saves against a team cycling the puck/having OZ time than on BROKEN plays.

But admittedly, playing only these high scoring canadian teams doesn't help. That's why we are so outmatched on the road, playing against Toronto, Edmonton and Winnipeg big guns (Calgary, Vancouver and even Montreal also have guys that can hurt you)

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't think we have any idea just yet in what we have with Sokolov & whether he will be a good NHL player or not. It's nice to see him do well with Belleville & what the coach says is encouraging but still a little too early in his development. Next yr will probably be a better indicator as to whether he can transition into the NHL or not.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
1-0 Laval after 2

Shots are 21-2 for Laval in 2nd, 35 -12 overall

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad