B-Sens 2020-2021 Belleville Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
who cares about the record in the AHL this year? Are there even going to be playoffs? Its all about development this year and having an area for prospects to play for most of these nhl teams

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, decision making is always going to be the thing holding him back. Lots of tools, not much holding them together.
Have really seen that to be an issue so far. He was especially strong last game. The simpler he keeps his game the better he will be. And he’s surprisingly mean. Might be what sets
Him apart from a guy like Ceci.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Have really seen that to be an issue so far. He was especially strong last game. The simpler he keeps his game the better he will be. And he’s surprisingly mean. Might be what sets
Him apart from a guy like Ceci.
Really? Been very noticeable in 3/4 games I've seen. Never saw last game to be fair.

He's got great tools, as has always been the case

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Really? Been very noticeable in 3/4 games I've seen. Never saw last game to be fair.

He's got great tools, as has always been the case
I meant “have not seen that to be an issue” I definitely think he’s been fine for his first games. And seems to be getting better.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I meant “have not seen that to be an issue” I definitely think he’s been fine for his first games. And seems to be getting better.
I know, that's what I assumed you meant

I meant his lack of decision making has been very noticeable, as has his great tools, which his own coach is seeing enough to comment on it as well. Not something you usually hear from the team or coach. He's got the tools, the issue will be the toolbox.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I know, that's what I assumed you meant

I meant his lack of decision making has been very noticeable, as has his great tools, which his own coach is seeing enough to comment on it as well. Not something you usually hear from the team or coach. He's got the tools, the issue will be the toolbox.
Yeah. The first two games against Laval were an adventure. I thought he may have been the sens second best d man on Saturday afternoon. I definitely see a lot of ceci there. If he can play every game like he did on Saturday I’ll be happy. Simple game.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
who cares about the record in the AHL this year? Are there even going to be playoffs? Its all about development this year and having an area for prospects to play for most of these nhl teams
Its less about the record than the development for me.. If you are always chasing the game due to lack of quality in the lineup .. or if you can't move the puck effectively out of your end it affects development the W/L are less important but being competitive is important . If you are competitive, the wins many or few take care of themselves

Reactions: DrEasy

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
That run was the equivalent of Belleville last year.
This year the BSens are an example of what happens when your best prospects graduate. The BSens went 29-40 the year after the championship when their best players graduated.

We'll never know what the B-Sens could have done in the playoffs if it wasn't for Covid so yes that's unfortunate. But believe it or not, the GM/AGM is also responsible for the team in the AHL. Yes they lost a few great prospects to graduation but they still have to make an effort to try to replace them with other good pro players (also several things lead to losing all of Balcers, Chlapik, Lajoie and Jaros for basically nothing). The team is 1-6-0 and has a -17 differential in 7 games, lol?

The comparison you made with the 2011-12 Bingo is true EXCEPT that the big team MADE THE PLAYOFFS that year and were on their way to become competitive. Made the playoffs again in 2012-13 and even won the first round against the 2nd seed. If you don't find there's a major difference in terms of results, I don't know what to tell you.

If the future team peaks higher then at least we won't have suffered all these years (4 and counting) for nothing. If not, that will be a FAILURE of EPIC proportions having all that draft/prospect capital from tanking and trading star players in their prime.

The fact that our shots against is down over 2+ per game from last year in a much better division offensively is a positive. FQL didn’t post any atats related to the defensive side of the game or at least it looked like that.

As for being in total denial, if you don’t think our terrible goaltending at the start of the season had an impact on anything you are definitely the one in Denial lol.

As I already said, the number of shots for or against is kinda misleading and meaningless. Even advanced stats can't perfectly picture the quality of scoring chances. There's many factors who can improve the quality of a scoring chance. Who is taking a shot? What is the type of the shot? Velocity? Where is the shot location/distance? How much time and space the player(s) have? Who is defending against? Did they played it poorly? What is the nature of the play? Turnover? Odd-man rush? Etc. I mean, there's way too many factors in hockey to call something black or white.

This is where the "eye test" come into play. If you take a look at the 1st period on last thursday and think this is NHL level defending, I don't know what to tell you and it's best to just finish the conversation. I have rarely seen so many broken plays and turnovers in dangerous locations in just 1 period. The thing is, in just 27 games, the Sens already had plenty of awful periods like that this season. In the sample size, it's significantly worse than last year, we have been GIFT WRAPPING way more goals against in relation to the sample size. Last year, they were less talented but were playing smarter and much more structured.

Anyway, the fact that you reiterate this "argument" about 2 meaningless SA less than last year thinking it's a good argument, demonstrate a very "superficial" hockey analysis. The eye test definitely says that our defensive game is much worse than last year (which was already below NHL average)

As for the "terrible goaltending" argument, it's more a simplistic conclusion than anything to me. There's many things that would need to be explained and almost analyze all the GA (I did in a few PGT after people were calling some goals weak) but frankly I want to do other things. Writing all this already takes time.

Yes, our goaltending hasn't been stellar or anything but look at this, first 5 games on the road to close out January :

Matt Murray 0.797 SV%
Marcus Hogberg 0.840 SV%

Rest of season :

Matt Murray 0.897 SV%
Marcus Hogberg 0.873 SV%

The team was totaly discombulated and disorganized as soon as they hit the road. It wasn't as bad after that but there still has been several games/period where the team got blown out and COINCIDENTALLY (I guess... for the people in denial?), it's pretty much always in road games... They are SIMPLY OUTMATCHED on the road

Finally, do you want to see something else? 2020-21 vs 2019-20

Matt Murray 0.885 SV% vs 0.899 SV%
Marcus Hogberg 0.859 SV% vs 0.904 SV%
Joey Daccord 0.867 SV% vs 0.915 SV% (AHL)
Filip Gustavsson 0.882 SV% vs 0.889 SV% (AHL)

I reiterate, thinking all these 4 goalies suddenly became much worse is PURE DENIAL. Double denial if you think I am "definitely the one in Denial" lol

There is a MAJOR defense problem in the organization.

I think part of our shots agai st being down might be score effect. I haven't dug into it but it feels like we've been blown out a lot more this year and teams take their foot off the gas when the game is out of reach.

Honestly, to me the eye test seems like there are a lot more breakdowns in our own end until the game is out of reach followed by just going through the motions.

Absolutely, several teams let the foot off the gas in the 3rd period having comfortable leads. That's exactly how that 6-5 comeback win against the Leafs happened.

The 2nd point is also absolutely true but hey, more denial.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We'll never know what the B-Sens could have done in the playoffs if it wasn't for Covid so yes that's unfortunate. But believe it or not, the GM/AGM is also responsible for the team in the AHL. Yes they lost a few great prospects to graduation but they still have to make an effort to try to replace them with other good pro players (also several things lead to losing all of Balcers, Chlapik, Lajoie and Jaros for basically nothing). The team is 1-6-0 and has a -17 differential in 7 games, lol?

The comparison you made with the 2011-12 Bingo is true EXCEPT that the big team MADE THE PLAYOFFS that year and were on their way to become competitive. Made the playoffs again in 2012-13 and even won the first round against the 2nd seed. If you don't find there's a major difference in terms of results, I don't know what to tell you.

If the future team peaks higher then at least we won't have suffered all these years (4 and counting) for nothing. If not, that will be a FAILURE of EPIC proportions having all that draft/prospect capital from tanking and trading star players in their prime.

As I already said, the number of shots for or against is kinda misleading and meaningless. Even advanced stats can't perfectly picture the quality of scoring chances. There's many factors who can improve the quality of a scoring chance. Who is taking a shot? What is the type of the shot? Velocity? Where is the shot location/distance? How much time and space the player(s) have? Who is defending against? Did they played it poorly? What is the nature of the play? Turnover? Odd-man rush? Etc. I mean, there's way too many factors in hockey to call something black or white.

This is where the "eye test" come into play. If you take a look at the 1st period on last thursday and think this is NHL level defending, I don't know what to tell you and it's best to just finish the conversation. I have rarely seen so many broken plays and turnovers in dangerous locations in just 1 period. The thing is, in just 27 games, the Sens already had plenty of awful periods like that this season. In the sample size, it's significantly worse than last year, we have been GIFT WRAPPING way more goals against in relation to the sample size. Last year, they were less talented but were playing smarter and much more structured.

Anyway, the fact that you reiterate this "argument" about 2 meaningless SA less than last year thinking it's a good argument, demonstrate a very "superficial" hockey analysis. The eye test definitely says that our defensive game is much worse than last year (which was already below NHL average)

As for the "terrible goaltending" argument, it's more a simplistic conclusion than anything to me. There's many things that would need to be explained and almost analyze all the GA (I did in a few PGT after people were calling some goals weak) but frankly I want to do other things. Writing all this already takes time.

Yes, our goaltending hasn't been stellar or anything but look at this, first 5 games on the road to close out January :

Matt Murray 0.797 SV%
Marcus Hogberg 0.840 SV%

Rest of season :

Matt Murray 0.897 SV%
Marcus Hogberg 0.873 SV%

The team was totaly discombulated and disorganized as soon as they hit the road. It wasn't as bad after that but there still has been several games/period where the team got blown out and COINCIDENTALLY (I guess... for the people in denial?), it's pretty much always in road games... They are SIMPLY OUTMATCHED on the road

Finally, do you want to see something else? 2020-21 vs 2019-20

Matt Murray 0.885 SV% vs 0.899 SV%
Marcus Hogberg 0.859 SV% vs 0.904 SV%
Joey Daccord 0.867 SV% vs 0.915 SV% (AHL)
Filip Gustavsson 0.882 SV% vs 0.889 SV% (AHL)

I reiterate, thinking all these 4 goalies suddenly became much worse is PURE DENIAL. Double denial if you think I am "definitely the one in Denial" lol

There is a MAJOR defense problem in the organization.

Absolutely, several teams let the foot off the gas in the 3rd period having comfortable leads. That's exactly how that 6-5 comeback win against the Leafs happened.

The 2nd point is also absolutely true but hey, more denial.
So you are now shifting to comparing the defensive ability of this team to average NHL teams ? The original point was comparing this team to last years team. I guess a year softens some people’s recollection of how horrible our D zone play was last year, constantly hemmed in our own zone multiple times a period zero breakout etc..

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This whole yr is a right off around the world due to Covid & it will be very difficult to make anything of it regarding the development of players because of the hundreds of different scenarios, experiences & closures. Not sure how they will be able to assess a draft with so many not playing very many games & in different leagues than where they were suppose to play, it's a mess. Good luck to scouts everywhere trying to figure who the best players are suppose to be this yr.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Ev_LTwLWgAAzbL1

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
After 10 mins shots 3-2 for Laval. and Egor had a tripping pen 0-0.

After 18 mins still 0-0 and shots now 9-4 Belleville

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
0-0 after 1 shots 11-4 for Belleville
LAV0 / 12 min / 1 in0
BEL0 / 12 min / 1 in0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Wow another injury to Brown. Man, if this kid didn’t have bad luck, he wouldn’t have any luck at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad