Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
pinto looks like a player who will be consistent and give a huge effort every night. I’d rather have a player who’s compete level is high every night and who’s consistent in his approach then a Hoffman or Galchenyuk who could put up some stats but will float and disappear for games at a time.

I'd rather a player who competes every night and also impacts the scoreline every night like a Konecny or Aho.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Ok but do you mean Norris should be higher than 17? Looking at the top-7, probably. I mean, Caufield is #4. Let's see if Caufield (who is a midget and doesn't do much if he's not scoring) can score as much as Norris in his pro rookie season.

And it's true about Brown, once he matures, he could still become one of the most dominant players on the whole list. Hopefully he put it all together. For me that's the only reason I don't have him as top end blue chip prospect because his skills, shot, IQ and physical attributes are top notch

I just meant I would probably have Norris and Brown ahead of Pinto on my top Sens prospects. League-wide, I would definitely have Logan Brown in the top 17. Not sure I'd have either of Norris or Caufield, but they'd both be close. Then Pinto would probably be just a little ways behind.

Just for Sens, and not including goalies, I guess I'd have it:
Brown, Norris, JBD, Pinto, Thomson, Formenton, Abramov, Gruden, Tychonik, Crookshank

But I don't understand why Batherson is graduated and Brown isn't...

The weirdest thing about the Pronman list is Kaliyev at seven. I mean, I get the appeal and I understand that many people think he's underrated, but you never go full Pejorative Slur.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I just meant I would probably have Norris and Brown ahead of Pinto on my top Sens prospects. League-wide, I would definitely have Logan Brown in the top 17. Not sure I'd have either of Norris or Caufield, but they'd both be close. Then Pinto would probably be just a little ways behind.

Just for Sens, and not including goalies, I guess I'd have it:
Brown, Norris, JBD, Pinto, Thomson, Formenton, Abramov, Gruden, Tychonik, Crookshank

But I don't understand why Batherson is graduated and Brown isn't...

The weirdest thing about the Pronman list is Kaliyev at seven. I mean, I get the appeal and I understand that many people think he's underrated, but you never go full ******.
ive noticed a difference in pronman from when I first started following him to now. he seems to really relish in the hot takes.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You're certainly entitled to that opinion, I was more replying to your comment that it was interesting we didn't have Dmen on Pronman's list. Pronman is definitely high on Brannstrom, and Thomson apparently could have just as easily been on it, so had Brannstrom played 10 fewer games before getting sent down, and had they flipped on Thomson, we'd have 2 dmen, and 4 forwards, which would be a pretty even distribution seeing as how there are twice as many forwards on a roster.

Brannstrom has played too many games this season in the NHL to be on Pronman's list

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Brannstrom has played too many games this season in the NHL to be on Pronman's list
Right, which is why I said had he played 10 fewer games before getting sent down this year, he'd have been on the list. I think the cutoff for Pronman is around 20 or 25.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Right, which is why I said had he played 10 fewer games before getting sent down this year, he'd have been on the list. I think the cutoff for Pronman is around 20 or 25.
Ya...i missed that when i responded

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I dunno man. Norris' 21 goals and 38 points in 39 games as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL is pretty unusual.

Brown's scoring chance generation stats at the NHL level rank top five on the team. And his AHL points per game ranks 10th since 2000 for players U22 (min 10 games).

As I said at the World Juniors, I love that Pinto plays like a pro and scores like a pro. He looks like a safe bet to be at least a 15-20 goal scorer, but I'm still not sold on his high-end upside.

I would have those three ahead of Formenton for sure (maybe JBD and Thomson), but I have to admit Formenton is far exceeding my expectations for his rookie year.

Formenton has the speed tho, being able to keep up in the NHL is going to be zero issues for him. If his size is listed right he had a late growth spurt and that can make a huge difference in projected ceiling
I’m mixed on Brown crazy skill but as soon as he gets into the NHL he seems to give minimum effort.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Formenton has the speed tho, being able to keep up in the NHL is going to be zero issues for him. If his size is listed right he had a late growth spurt and that can make a huge difference in projected ceiling
I’m mixed on Brown crazy skill but as soon as he gets into the NHL he seems to give minimum effort.
Its not minimum effort its thinking. Its trying to slow it down. When he is the guy and he is comfortable it will be totally different

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I have noticed that our prospects brought up to OTTAWA seem to play tentatively at first and are not proactive. I think that they are like deer in the headlights due to inexperience but I wonder if the coaching staff have instructed them to play conservatively and defensively sound in their first few games.

Reactions: supsens

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I have noticed that our prospects brought up to OTTAWA seem to play tentatively at first and are not proactive. I think that they are like deer in the headlights due to inexperience but I wonder if the coaching staff have instructed them to play conservatively and defensively sound in their first few games.
AHL to NHL is not an easy step especially playing on a bad team like Ottawa

Reactions: Cosmix

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It is a bit concerning that we're a rebuilding team with supposedly one of the better prospect pools and I've yet to really see anything special from the rookies/call-ups this year.

They're putting up great numbers in Belleville, but not really seeing anything in the NHL yet. Could be coaching.

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
It is a bit concerning that we're a rebuilding team with supposedly one of the better prospect pools and I've yet to really see anything special from the rookies/call-ups this year.

They're putting up great numbers in Belleville, but not really seeing anything in the NHL yet. Could be coaching.

Ive never been a big fan of DJ wish we could bring in laviolette

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I doubt that Dorion would want to hire a coach with NHL experience and past success. There is also the budget issue. :)

At this time I am still in “wait and see” mode with the new coaching staff. I like the team forechecking and hustle. The results however are not surprising given the lack of high end offensively and defensively skilled NHL level players. That weakness will take a few years to resolve with higher draft picks.

Reactions: DrEasy

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

Lots of options on the market right now, but unfortunately the timing just isn't right. We're not winning anytime soon, so it doesnt make sense to bring in a veteran yet. In the meanwhile, Smith will be good for instilling a hardnosed style this team needs to be successful.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The dinosaurs will be phased out of the league eventually. I personally have zero interest in a veteran coach.

Id rather we looked for the next gem, maybe Smith is it, he’s got a great resume, has a great rep with young players, and we have the most experienced coaching staff around him that we’ve ever had.

He’ll be plenty experienced by the time we’re looking to win anything.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I dont see how DJ could be expected to produce more than he has this season.

He is playing lots of kids and we have been in just about every game with one of the worst D in the league...I'm impressed with how he handles the media too.

Definitely need to see him coach a team with a lot more talent and see if the results improve before thinking of shipping him off.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I dont see how DJ could be expected to produce more than he has this season.

He is playing lots of kids and we have been in just about every game with one of the worst D in the league...I'm impressed with how he handles the media too.

Definitely need to see him coach a team with a lot more talent and see if the results improve before thinking of shipping him off.

Yea, if anything im extremely impressed at how interested i am to still watch this team regularly considering the standings. We are **** but we still playing like a team and losing very marginally in a lot of games.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Laviolette is the kind of veteran coach you bring in to get a team over the hump & challenge for a cup. I doubt he would have any interest in coaching a rebuilding team especially in Ottawa with a cheap owner who sticks his nose into everything. This coaching staff is doing just fine with a young team & a number of suit case players, they seem to be in almost every game.

I think next yr will be similar to this yr, but they most likely will introduce a few more young players & move out some players. I think it's yr 3 of the rebuild when much more will be expected of the team & the coaches & they start looking at challenging for a playoff spot. At that point we will see where this coach & staff are & where this team is at & whether any changes are required with coaching staff or players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad