Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Laviolette is the kind of veteran coach you bring in to get a team over the hump & challenge for a cup. I doubt he would have any interest in coaching a rebuilding team especially in Ottawa with a cheap owner who sticks his nose into everything. This coaching staff is doing just fine with a young team & a number of suit case players, they seem to be in almost every game.

I think next yr will be similar to this yr, but they most likely will introduce a few more young players & move out some players. I think it's yr 3 of the rebuild when much more will be expected of the team & the coaches & they start looking at challenging for a playoff spot. At that point we will see where this coach & staff are & where this team is at & whether any changes are required with coaching staff or players.

Based on your comment, is this season year 1 of the rebuild?

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That is an excellent point to raise. My personal opinion is this is year zero between tear down and build l, so next year would be year 1

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That is an excellent point to raise. My personal opinion is this is year zero between tear down and build l, so next year would be year 1

I suppose that the first year of the rebuild occurs after the TDL trades of Stone, Ducharme and Dzingel because the trades could be viewed as the tear down.

I wonder what Aragorn’s view is.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not sure what you guys are talking about. 1st year of the rebuild was the season after we drafted Tkachuk so 2018-19...

If you want to be even more exact, it started at the 2018 TD :

History of NHL trades by the Ottawa Senators - NHL Trade Tracker

February 13, 2018

Ottawa Senators acquireDateLos Angeles Kings acquire
Ottawa_Senators.gif
Marian Gaborik
Nick Shore
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 13, 2018
Dion Phaneuf
Nate Thompson
Los_Angeles_Kings.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 23, 2018

Pittsburgh Penguins acquireDateOttawa Senators acquire
Pittsburgh_Penguins.gif
2018 3rd round pick
Vincent Dunn
Derick Brassard
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
February 23, 2018
2018 1st round pick
Filip Gustavsson
Ian Cole
2019 3rd round pick
Ottawa_Senators.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I know it doesn't mean too much, but it really tickles my fancy to see that Maxence Guenette is outscoring Bowen Byram in both total and per game points. I really liked Guenette in preseason; hopefully he becomes a player for us some day.
Tied for 8th in scoring amongst D, that means a tonne!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think so, don't you? It's all somewhat irrelevant when exactly but after they traded away all their stars like EK, Hoffman, Duchene & Stone it is obvious that they were going to rebuild & while some of the returns from those trades are part of the rebuild it could be considered that was when it started. However, this coming draft & of course the next are when it is expected that the Sens could end up drafting the most important & best players for this franchise for the foreseeable future.

BTW how do you think this rebuild is going & which players are you most excited about for the future of this team? These are the guys I would like to see on a future team, but would obviously upgrade a couple of positions by trading those that are not on this roster like a Brannstrom, Balcers, C. Brown, Duclair & Abramov to upgrade a few positions like the 3rd defensive pairing. Not sure who will be the better defencemen on the right side between JBD, Thomson & Guennette & I would also like to see a big tough 3rd D pair who would be great at the PK. I think they could really improve the team if the Sens can improve their special teams substantially.

Byfield - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Pinto
Formenton - Norris - Pytlik
Gruden - Paul - Kastelic

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Guennette
Englund - Jaros/Thomson

Hogberg - Askarov/Daccord

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Guenette looked like a super steal the second we drafted him. 7th round offensive RD with size (if 6ft2 is "size" I'm not sure).

I feel great about this pick; however, I might not be the best judge of talent because I thought Jakub Culek would be a player.... and then he goes and never scores a professional goal ever smh.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think so, don't you? It's all somewhat irrelevant when exactly but after they traded away all their stars like EK, Hoffman, Duchene & Stone it is obvious that they were going to rebuild & while some of the returns from those trades are part of the rebuild it could be considered that was when it started. However, this coming draft & of course the next are when it is expected that the Sens could end up drafting the most important & best players for this franchise for the foreseeable future.

BTW how do you think this rebuild is going & which players are you most excited about for the future of this team? These are the guys I would like to see on a future team, but would obviously upgrade a couple of positions by trading those that are not on this roster like a Brannstrom, Balcers, C. Brown, Duclair & Abramov to upgrade a few positions like the 3rd defensive pairing. Not sure who will be the better defencemen on the right side between JBD, Thomson & Guennette & I would also like to see a big tough 3rd D pair who would be great at the PK. I think they could really improve the team if the Sens can improve their special teams substantially.

Byfield - L. Brown - Batherson
Tkachuk - White - Pinto
Formenton - Norris - Pytlik
Gruden - Paul - Kastelic

Chabot - JBD
Wolanin - Guennette
Englund - Jaros/Thomson

Hogberg - Askarov/Daccord

I suppose one could say the rebuild started when the team traded away its best players (EK, Hoffman, Duchene & Stone) to get players, prospects and picks. So this season, 2019-2020 is the first full season of the rebuild.

I think it will take 2 or 3 more drafts (2020, 2021 & 2022) for the Senators to draft enough high quality prospects to create a roster that will be in the second quartile of teams (i.e., a playoff team) rather than a playoff bubble team and to have a better probability of becoming a top quartile team (a Stanley Cup contender).

While I have high hopes for some of the prospects we have now (Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom, Norris, Pinto, JBD, Thompson, Formenton & Wolanin), not all of them will develop into good or very good NHL players. Balcers and Abramov might turn out to be NHL level players; time will tell. White’s performance this year is a concern, but I hope he bounces back into a better player.

I agree with you that the team needs some bigger, tougher players on defence who can be harder to play against, plus a few forwards who are bigger and tougher too.

The current players who I regard highly are Chabot and Tkachuk. Obvious picks there. C. Brown and Duclair have played well to date and hopefully will continue to do so and remain part of the team. I would not trade the latter two unless the return was a first round pick.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I suppose one could say the rebuild started when the team traded away its best players (EK, Hoffman, Duchene & Stone) to get players, prospects and picks. So this season, 2019-2020 is the first full season of the rebuild.

I think it will take 2 or 3 more drafts (2020, 2021 & 2022) for the Senators to draft enough high quality prospects to create a roster that will be in the second quartile of teams (i.e., a playoff team) rather than a playoff bubble team and to have a better probability of becoming a top quartile team (a Stanley Cup contender).

While I have high hopes for some of the prospects we have now (Brown, Batherson, Brannstrom, Norris, Pinto, JBD, Thompson, Formenton & Wolanin), not all of them will develop into good or very good NHL players. Balcers and Abramov might turn out to be NHL level players; time will tell. White’s performance this year is a concern, but I hope he bounces back into a better player.

I agree with you that the team needs some bigger, tougher players on defence who can be harder to play against, plus a few forwards who are bigger and tougher too.

The current players who I regard highly are Chabot and Tkachuk. Obvious picks there. C. Brown and Duclair have played well to date and hopefully will continue to do so and remain part of the team. I would not trade the latter two unless the return was a first round pick.

There's so much parity in this league now. You use quartiles. I think you have an upper quartile that are locks and a botton quartile that are guaranteed to miss. Then you have the middle two quartiles that are bubble teams. The numbers get a little cleaner when Seattle joins but that is 8 locks, 8 bottom feeders and 16 tems kind of battling for 8 spots. I think we can be in the middle group as early as next year.

Reactions: innocent bystander

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There's so much parity in this league now. You use quartiles. I think you have an upper quartile that are locks and a botton quartile that are guaranteed to miss. Then you have the middle two quartiles that are bubble teams. The numbers get a little cleaner when Seattle joins but that is 8 locks, 8 bottom feeders and 16 tems kind of battling for 8 spots. I think we can be in the middle group as early as next year.
That seems reasonable. If we add an impact forward in the draft that can step in right away then being in the middle group is certainly possible. If we miss out and draft guys that need a couple years of development it shifts the onus on our current group for the improvement which is still possible.

I do think a lot depends on who gets moved out at the deadline. Pageau would be hard to replace next year and DeMelo would hurt to lose too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I have doubts about being a team challenging for a playoff position next season.

Reactions: aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I have doubts about being a team challenging for a playoff position next season.

A lot depends on how the lottery balls fall and what we do with our current "assets"

I don't think it's necessarily showing up that much in terms of points, but the team has been more competitive this year. You have to be in the game to get points out of it. We weren't in a lot of games last year. This year, there are very few that we aren't in. That improvement right there.

We've got a number of players that should improve with maturity, pretty much no one that should experience age related decline, and we've got a potential impact player coming in the 2020 draft. I'd say anything above 86 points or so and we were "competing" for a spot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That seems reasonable. If we add an impact forward in the draft that can step in right away then being in the middle group is certainly possible. If we miss out and draft guys that need a couple years of development it shifts the onus on our current group for the improvement which is still possible.

I do think a lot depends on who gets moved out at the deadline. Pageau would be hard to replace next year and DeMelo would hurt to lose too.

The only guy that I see is NHL ready & could step into the NHL next season from this upcoming draft is Lafreniere, even Byfield who I like a lot I would send back to junior should the Sens be lucky enough to land him for another yr of seasoning.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
The only guy that I see is NHL ready & could step into the NHL next season from this upcoming draft is Lafreniere, even Byfield who I like a lot I would send back to junior should the Sens be lucky enough to land him for another yr of seasoning.

I think Lundell could be an effective player in the NHL next year, maybe Holtz or Stützle too. Raymond is there talentwise, but he still needs to bulk up a lot. I think Stützle and Holtz could handle themselves, but a year in AHL to adapt to North Anerican hockey would be ideal for their development.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Byfield or Drysdale get forced onto a bad team because of that stupid CHL agreement.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

I wouldn't really agree that adding an impact forward through the draft would be the difference maker by next year. Even Lafreniere will be what, a 50-60 point scorer out of the gate?

That's not gonna be the difference between fourth and third quartile. Or maybe it gets us to the bottom of the third quartile, still out of playoffs. To really be in the mix for playoffs next year it has to be through internal development, and keeping as many of our top free agents as reasonably possible. Adding one good young player through trade at the draft would be huge.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't really agree that adding an impact forward through the draft would be the difference maker by next year. Even Lafreniere will be what, a 50-60 point scorer out of the gate?

That's not gonna be the difference between fourth and third quartile. Or maybe it gets us to the bottom of the third quartile, still out of playoffs. To really be in the mix for playoffs next year it has to be through internal development, and keeping as many of our top free agents as reasonably possible. Adding one good young player through trade at the draft would be huge.
Well, it wouldn't just be that forward though.

Wolanin will soon be back from injury, Brannstrom will have a full season of development as will Brown and Batherson. Norris may get a taste ect.

I think the guys we have in the system alone should make us an improved team but if there is a guy that can step out of the draft and put up say 50 pts, that could combine with what we have to push us into bubble territory. Maybe we are a high 80s low 90s pts team if it all goes right. That would be a successful season for me.

Also a lot depends on goaltending. If we get top tier goaltending from Hog or Nilsson all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad