Prospect Info: 2019-2020 Senators Prospects Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pronman released his midseason prospect rankings. Brannstrom & Batherson were not considered for the list.

Sens on the list:

He also says that Lassi Thomson easily could have made the list. No comment on JBD.

I find it interesting that there are no Ottawa defencemen on that list, it's the one area of this rebuild that concerns me the most. Hopefully with 3 or more picks in the 2nd rd of the next two drafts Ottawa is able to pick up some bigger & tougher defencemen who also have some decent skill in their game. Max Guennette RD could turn into a player for them hopefully, guys who aren't just good offensively or defensively but very good at both ends of the ice like a Shea Weber.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I find it interesting that there are no Ottawa defencemen on that list, it's the one area of this rebuild that concerns me the most. Hopefully with 3 or more picks in the 2nd rd of the next two drafts Ottawa is able to pick up some bigger & tougher defencemen who also have some decent skill in their game. Max Guennette RD could turn into a player for them hopefully, guys who aren't just good offensively or defensively but very good at both ends of the ice like a Shea Weber.

Brannstrom was excluded by games played, likely would have been around where Norris is, Thomson just missed, and JBD probably isn't far behind.

We also have Jaros and Wolanin (not to mention Chabot) who are all under 25. There is a weakness in our D in that we don't have a high end guy that is a physical presence. Not a lot of those to go around though, so we'll have to be patient.

Reactions: TheDebater

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Brown's physical game is a 70 but Formenton's skating game is a 65? Sorry pal, but Formenton's skating is among the elite of the elite. Brown's physical play is nowhere near that. Heck, I'd put Formenton's physical game above Brown's.

Yup, nuff said about the validity of this article and whoever is making up these ratings.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Brown's physical game is a 70 but Formenton's skating game is a 65? Sorry pal, but Formenton's skating is among the elite of the elite. Brown's physical play is nowhere near that. Heck, I'd put Formenton's physical game above Brown's.

Where does it say its their "game"? I think its in reference to their attributes. Formentons skating is very rare, Brown's physical attributes are very rare too.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

In this case I don't think 'Physical Game' counts as physical play, but rather physical attributes. It's tough to argue against Logan in that regard given he already has a man's body.

Obviously Pronman is off if he's using "physical play" the same way you're interpreting. I don't have an Athletic subscription, but maybe someone that does can let us know if Pronman clarifies the categories in the article.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Brannstrom was excluded by games played, likely would have been around where Norris is, Thomson just missed, and JBD probably isn't far behind.

We also have Jaros and Wolanin (not to mention Chabot) who are all under 25. There is a weakness in our D in that we don't have a high end guy that is a physical presence. Not a lot of those to go around though, so we'll have to be patient.
Well, you already know what I think of Brannstrom & honestly I don't see any other defenceman in this org that I'm excited about, maybe JBD because he played well in the WJC & we'll have a better look next yr when I believe he will turn pro. I like Chabot offensively but he's been pretty bad defensively in the last few weeks & wayyyy too casual with the puck in his own zone, almost cost us a goal again last night & looked to apologize to Hogberg for his blunder. I liked what we saw from Wolanin to end the yr last yr & hope he returns to that form after his conditioning stint in Belleville but that's about it for the defence. Jaros makes a lot of mental mistakes out there & looks to get pushed around too much for a guy his size. I don't have much hope or faith in the defence this management team is building & it seems I'm not alone in this concern tbh.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Where does it say its their "game"? I think its in reference to their attributes. Formentons skating is very rare, Brown's physical attributes are very rare too.

It does say Physical Game, but you may be right that it's more a general physical attributes. Probably includes things like how his wingspan allows him extra reach, how his massive size allows him to protect the puck, ect, not just whether he finishes his checks or not.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well, you already know what I think of Brannstrom & honestly I don't see any other defenceman in this org that I'm excited about, maybe JBD because he played well in the WJC & we'll have a better look next yr when I believe he will turn pro. I like Chabot offensively but he's been pretty bad defensively in the last few weeks & wayyyy too casual with the puck in his own zone, almost cost us a goal again last night & looked to apologize to Hogberg for his blunder. I liked what we saw from Wolanin to end the yr last yr & hope he returns to that form after his conditioning stint in Belleville but that's about it for the defence. Jaros makes a lot of mental mistakes out there & looks to get pushed around too much for a guy his size. I don't have much hope or faith in the defence this management team is building & it seems I'm not alone in this concern tbh.

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, I was more replying to your comment that it was interesting we didn't have Dmen on Pronman's list. Pronman is definitely high on Brannstrom, and Thomson apparently could have just as easily been on it, so had Brannstrom played 10 fewer games before getting sent down, and had they flipped on Thomson, we'd have 2 dmen, and 4 forwards, which would be a pretty even distribution seeing as how there are twice as many forwards on a roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
In this case I don't think 'Physical Game' counts as physical play, but rather physical attributes. It's tough to argue against Logan in that regard given he already has a man's body.

Obviously Pronman is off if he's using "physical play" the same way you're interpreting. I don't have an Athletic subscription, but maybe someone that does can let us know if Pronman clarifies the categories in the article.

Criteria for being a prospect is less than 25 games played in a season, combining the regular season and playoffs, or less than 50 career NHL games. Any players in the NHL as of Saturday, Jan. 11 were considered graduates, as well.

The tiers breakdown as follows:
  • Elite NHL prospect: Projects as an impact player, someone who is top 10-15 percent in the NHL at his position.
  • High-end NHL prospect: Projects as a first-line forward, a top-pair defenseman or a top 10 starting goaltender.
  • Very good NHL prospect: Projects as a top-six forward, top-four defenseman or starting goaltender in the NHL.
Elite
1. Zegras
2, Cozens
High-End
3. Byram
4. Caufield
5. Denisenko
6. Seider
7. Kaliyev...

Cozens is the one that really doesn't fit the Pronman profile..
Not a very impressive list imo

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
This Pronman guy seems like kind of a goof. I can never remember one of these media scouts from another, but I feel like I've said that about this guy before...

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
No mention of Abramov and Balcers?
Balcers counts as a graduate

This Pronman guy seems like kind of a goof. I can never remember one of these media scouts from another, but I feel like I've said that about this guy before...

I dont put much value into his rankings, he speaks to lots of scouts though and gives decent insight into their opinions. He puts a huge premium on skating, skill and upside in his rankings, though, likely to a fault.

Reactions: Xspyrit

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Pronman has always, always, always preferred pure skill and potential skill ahead of anything else.

He had William Nylander ranked best prospect in the world few years ago, same as Rundblad(i think). He looks almost specifically at offensive potential before any and all things.

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Balcers counts as a graduate

I dont put much value into his rankings, he speaks to lots of scouts though and gives decent insight into their opinions. He puts a huge premium on skating, skill and upside in his rankings, though, likely to a fault.

Cool. Well thanks for posting anyway. Always good to have different perspectives, especially if he actually talks to scouts.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, if all of Batherson, Brannstrom, Wolanin and Balcers are considered graduated, then his ranking might not be that bad (haven't seen it all) outside of Pinto who should be #1 easily.

17- Norris
24- Formenton
35- Brown
54- Pinto
Thomson (just missing the top-72 cut)
JBD (how far from making it?)
Abramov (how far from making it?)

Interesting that he has Formenton over Brown

MatchesMalone

Aug 29, 2010
Well, if all of Batherson, Brannstrom, Wolanin and Balcers are considered graduated, then his ranking might not be that bad (haven't seen it all) outside of Pinto who should be #1 easily.

17- Norris
24- Formenton
35- Brown
54- Pinto
Thomson (just missing the top-72 cut)
JBD (how far from making it?)
Abramov (how far from making it?)

Interesting that he has Formenton over Brown

I dunno man. Norris' 21 goals and 38 points in 39 games as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL is pretty unusual.

Brown's scoring chance generation stats at the NHL level rank top five on the team. And his AHL points per game ranks 10th since 2000 for players U22 (min 10 games).

As I said at the World Juniors, I love that Pinto plays like a pro and scores like a pro. He looks like a safe bet to be at least a 15-20 goal scorer, but I'm still not sold on his high-end upside.

I would have those three ahead of Formenton for sure (maybe JBD and Thomson), but I have to admit Formenton is far exceeding my expectations for his rookie year.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I dunno man. Norris' 21 goals and 38 points in 39 games as a 20 year old rookie in the AHL is pretty unusual.

Brown's scoring chance generation stats at the NHL level rank top five on the team. And his AHL points per game ranks 10th since 2000 for players U22 (min 10 games).

As I said at the World Juniors, I love that Pinto plays like a pro and scores like a pro. He looks like a safe bet to be at least a 15-20 goal scorer, but I'm still not sold on his high-end upside.

I would have those three ahead of Formenton for sure (maybe JBD and Thomson), but I have to admit Formenton is far exceeding my expectations for his rookie year.

pinto looks like a player who will be consistent and give a huge effort every night. I’d rather have a player who’s compete level is high every night and who’s consistent in his approach then a Hoffman or Galchenyuk who could put up some stats but will float and disappear for games at a time.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Pronman has always, always, always preferred pure skill and potential skill ahead of anything else.

He had William Nylander ranked best prospect in the world few years ago, same as Rundblad(i think). He looks almost specifically at offensive potential before any and all things.

He's altered his views over the years which is something that cannot be said about a lot of people who discuss prospects. He even writes columns on his biggest misses (including Tkachuk). I've grown to respect his work but to treat it as one deliberate way of ranking prospects. Need to use a variety.

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Ok but do you mean Norris should be higher than 17? Looking at the top-7, probably. I mean, Caufield is #4. Let's see if Caufield (who is a midget and doesn't do much if he's not scoring) can score as much as Norris in his pro rookie season.

And it's true about Brown, once he matures, he could still become one of the most dominant players on the whole list. Hopefully he put it all together. For me that's the only reason I don't have him as top end blue chip prospect because his skills, shot, IQ and physical attributes are top notch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad