2018 World Hockey Championships

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
They are publicly putting out there some other names through the media in Detroit, but they went out of their way to pump up Necas before drafting Rasmussen last year. The Wings are pretty guarded on their draft board in the run into this process.
I was thinking about this as well. Both Custance and HSJ have reported on the Red Wings' considerable interest in Zadina and Bouchard. Going back to the last three drafts, there was very little reported connection to Cholowski, Svechnikov, or Rasmussen pre-draft (I recall guys like Rubtsov and Necas being speculated). Is this a case of Detroit simply being less guarded about their internal evaluations because they are drafting higher, or is this information intentionally being provided to the beat writers to drive a desired narrative?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I dont normally visit other forums, but since the coach of the team is my guy in the draft, I figured I would ask. Any way hughes gets passed detroit? I am guessing the draft will go dahlin, svechnikov,zadina,tkachuk, and then i can see any combo of bouchard,dobson, wahlstrom, Kotkaniemi,hughes. It scares me blashill is his coach, I thought van had a shot.

Holland made a comment recently in an interview which gave me the impression they aren’t going to go after the “smaller defenseman” with their first pick. The Red Wings Director of Amateur Scouting is also a bit of a size queen.

So personally, I’d be a little surprised if we take Hughes. But maybe he will impress them enough at the World Championships to make it happen. Definitely comes from a very motivated family, and they do value character as well.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
From an asset perspective, is the Hughes thing a good plan? I don't mean evaluating the player; that's an excellent idea. But it sure seems to me that the Wings are being pretty transparent about liking Hughes. Blashill giving him ice against good teams, rooming him with Larkin. That's unlike them, as someone has noted. You'd think if the Wings were super high on him, they would try to avoid looking so interested. Especially on such a big stage, where getting playing time and doing even decently is liable to boost your draft stock.

Tinfoil hat: are the Detroit Red Wings trying to get someone else to draft Quinn Hughes? Are the Wings essentially making him look sexy and in demand to get somebody like Ottawa or Arizona to take him, leaving a player Detroit wants still on the board? Considering Detroit is very much into the size-at-all-costs philosophy, it seems at least a little plausible that this is a ruse.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
From an asset perspective, is the Hughes thing a good plan? I don't mean evaluating the player; that's an excellent idea. But it sure seems to me that the Wings are being pretty transparent about liking Hughes. Blashill giving him ice against good teams, rooming him with Larkin. That's unlike them, as someone has noted. You'd think if the Wings were super high on him, they would try to avoid looking so interested. Especially on such a big stage, where getting playing time and doing even decently is liable to boost your draft stock.

Tinfoil hat: are the Detroit Red Wings trying to get someone else to draft Quinn Hughes? Are the Wings essentially making him look sexy and in demand to get somebody like Ottawa or Arizona to take him, leaving a player Detroit wants still on the board? Considering Detroit is very much into the size-at-all-costs philosophy, it seems at least a little plausible that this is a ruse.

USA Hockey isn’t sabatoging its own performance at this trounament so Detroit can get some extra scouting looks at a possible draft prospect. The reason Hughes and Larkin are rooming is the Michigan University connection. You’re reading too much into the situation.

Christien

May 1, 2010
For people living in the US that didn’t watch the CZE-SVK game, it’s on NHL Network right now. Libor Sulak & Filip Hronek playing for the Czechs.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Watching the Czech game and sulak is getting tuns of ice and hornek is getting like none. Why do they have gudas on the pp and 6-5 situations. Whoever is coaching is terrible

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan

I think its just the Wings scouting Hughes as effectively as possible. Larkin is a little bit of an inside man and it would he stupid for Blash or someone else in the organisation to ask DBoss what he thinks of Hughes character and everything. The Wings have also reportedly scouted Bouchard very hard towards the end of the year and everyone seems to think they are super high on Boqvist too. I think having a Wings player room with Hughes, then having Blash coach him is about as in depth with scouting as you can go, it's all due diligence.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
USA Hockey isn’t sabatoging its own performance at this trounament so Detroit can get some extra scouting looks at a possible draft prospect. The reason Hughes and Larkin are rooming is the Michigan University connection. You’re reading too much into the situation.
I'm not saying that's why they named Hughes to the team. But they're definitely paying more attention for that reason, IMO. It's a no-lose: if Hughes succeeds, you win games at the WC, and maybe he's looked good enough that you even want to draft him. If not, someone else does, and that's good. If he's okay, you don't draft him, but someone else does. That's good. If he sucks, you bench him and now you have a reason not to draft him.

But, you're right. They're rooming because they both attended the prestigious Michigan University, which is definitely a place that exists.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I'm not saying that's why they named Hughes to the team. But they're definitely paying more attention for that reason, IMO. It's a no-lose: if Hughes succeeds, you win games at the WC, and maybe he's looked good enough that you even want to draft him. If not, someone else does, and that's good. If he's okay, you don't draft him, but someone else does. That's good. If he sucks, you bench him and now you have a reason not to draft him.

But, you're right. They're rooming because they both attended the prestigious Michigan University.

His performance at this tournament likely has no impact on his draft ranking. Teams have scouted him all year. If anything it’ll help determine if he’s NHL ready next season or not. I would hope Detroit is not placing a lot of value in this tournament and instead examine Hughes’ entire body of work this year.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Hronek needs more time with GR, not good at defense. Sulak should be with Red Wings next year , good at boards , could play against speedy players , not very good offensively though. I would slide him with Joe Hicketts with 3rd pairing

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Not sure if he was credited, but Hronek should have an assist on the 2nd goal so 1+1 in a 3-2 loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad