Post-Game Talk: 2018 Winter Classic: Sabres vs. Rangers at Citi Field

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
We essentially sold one of our home games. I can't understand why people here aren't livid. What if the de facto rags home game costs us a playoff spot? I live near NYC and am in no way happy about this.

MSG gets property tax exemption if all Rags & Knicks home games are played there, been that way since 1982 and Dolan won't screw that up. NHL can charge more for tickets and sponsors in tourist destination NYC than in Orchard Park or AAA baseball stadium.

(I do think the AAA stadium would be a great venue for an outdoor game, but it's too small for the national image NHL is trying to build)

besides, Buffalo arena has been cheering for the other team since the tank began. Ceded home ice years ago to Leafs, Sens, Habs & Hawks fans.

In order of lividitiveness

1- Dolan & his insane property tax break
2- fans ceding home ice years ago
3- 41 home games*

*season ticket holders may have a delayed reaction depending on what a full season costs or if a travel package is included.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
As a Sabres fan in the NYC area, I am so there.

The fact that it's at CitiField is a cool bonus, since I'm a Mets fan too.

So after this year I will have seen my favorite hockey team play games in the stadiums of both my favorite football team and my favorite baseball team. How many people can say that?

Plus if I'm not mistaken the Sabres will be the home team in this game, since the Rangers' lease prohibits them from laying any home games in any venue other than MSG.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Most exciting part about this is the jerseys. Hopefully we get some sick royal blue and golds.

Prototype for our 50th anniversary uniforms.

Jesus -- 50. I remember how they made a big deal out of 30 the year after the finals run. 50.

By the by, everyone remember when we all called this the Ice Bowl?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Will add some excitement to the holiday season, Sabres in a playoff spot playing on NBC big boy network in the Winter Classic as Nate Peterman leads the Bills towards a wildcard berth.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I think this counts as a home game for us. We are being presented on the right (which is usually the home team) and the Rangers have an agreement to play all their home games at MSG.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Like some others on here - I'm most excited for the new sweater design and getting to see the guys on the Road to the Winter Classic show.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
By the by, everyone remember when we all called this the Ice Bowl?

Yes, EVERYONE was referring to it as the Ice Bowl that first year, despite the NHL's best efforts. It took a while for the official "Winter Classic" moniker to displace it.

I believe I have a sweatshirt (err, unofficial merchandise) commemorating the 2008 Ice Bowl between Buffalo and Pittsburgh. I think the maker got away with it because it didn't actually use any NHL trademarks.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
WGR just reported Sabres season ticket holders will have the option to buy tickets to this game. My recommendation is to do so and make some $ on them.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd try to go to this, but there is no way I'm getting near NYC on new years eve.

It's not like the game is anywhere near Times Square. The throngs of drunk New Years tourists aren't going to be in Queens. :dunno:

The trend is to have those huge numbers on the sleeves of the jerseys which I think looks horrible.

I imagine that's so fans at the game have a chance to figure out who the players are when they can't see the back of the jerseys. Seats are much farther away than a normal game.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I'd try to go to this, but there is no way I'm getting near NYC on new years eve.

If you drive down, just stay in long island and drive in, won't even sniff NYE festivities. If you'd be flying, just stay out in boring flushing.

I'm definitely going to try going.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

Yeah, no need to get anywhere near Times Square or even Manhattan for that matter.

Stay on Long Island. Preferably on the north shore on the Port Washington line of the LIRR (like Bayside or Manhasset, etc), then you can just take the train a few stops into the game and pretty much avoid the city and the traffic entirely.

No matter whether you fly in or drive in, you can get there without having to go through Manhattan at all.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Stay in a suburb and commute in. Won't be too pricey. I'd even say to look as far as Westchester or Rockland, or across the river in NJ

Nah, I think Long Island is the way to go. Bridge traffic can be brutal.

I live in Westchester. Drove to the CitiField for the Mets game this past Sunday. Took me forever to get home because the traffic heading to the Whitestone was moving at a snail's pace for hours.

Honestly it was bad enough to make me lean towards taking the train next time, even though that would mean heading in to Grand Central and then back out again on the 7 train.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Nah, I think Long Island is the way to go. Bridge traffic can be brutal.

I live in Westchester. Drove to the CitiField for the Mets game this past Sunday. Took me forever to get home because the traffic heading to the Whitestone was moving at a snail's pace for hours.

Honestly it was bad enough to make me lean towards taking the train next time, even though that would mean heading in to Grand Central and then back out again on the 7 train.

There's your problem. Why not just take the metro north?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad