Post-Game Talk: 2018 Winter Classic: Sabres vs. Rangers at Citi Field

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The amazing thing about this is the league brazenly kicking the team that actually plays on Long Island square in the nuts.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The amazing thing about this is the league brazenly kicking the team that actually plays on Long Island square in the nuts.

I'm sure they'll have a parade for you to thank you for coming to their defense.

Please, you are trying to make an issue out of absolutely nothing. I thought you were worried about the number of Sabres fans in the stands -- now you're worried about...the feelings of Islanders fans???

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm sure they'll have a parade for you to thank you for coming to their defense.

Please, you are trying to make an issue out of absolutely nothing. I thought you were worried about the number of Sabres fans in the stands -- now you're worried about...the feelings of Islanders fans???
What defense? I'm merely pointing out how insane the whole situation is. And as I said before: Winter Classic means very little to me and I'm definitely not lining up to pay $150 to sit outside unable to see anything. I want us to gain national attention by getting into the playoffs and cracking some skulls, not some event that peaked a few years back.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
What defense? I'm merely pointing out how insane the whole situation is. And as I said before: Winter Classic means very little to me and I'm definitely not lining up to pay $150 to sit outside unable to see anything. I want us to gain national attention by getting into the playoffs and cracking some skulls, not some event that peaked a few years back.

you should try yoga, you're the only person here who cares, I think more people have already started booking hotels then are upset

doesn't the road team have a better record in outdoor games?

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
So, in celebration of the 10th anniversary, not only does Buffalo not get another outdoor game, they have to give up one of their home games to play 400 miles away.

And we wonder why Buffalonians have an inferiority complex...

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Eh, not really. The Islanders play in Brooklyn. Citi Field is in Queens. Two completely different boroughs. It's not like those of us in Brooklyn associate in any shape or form with Queens and vice versa just because they are both technically on Long Island. In fact, it's significantly easier and faster to get to Citi Field from MSG than it is from Barclay Center.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
As a jersey fanatic, im excited to see the Winter Classic Jersey we get. Some of these jerseys for other teams the last few years have been pretty sharp.

Im crossing fingers for some sort of Red and Black jersey

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
As a jersey fanatic, im excited to see the Winter Classic Jersey we get. Some of these jerseys for other teams the last few years have been pretty sharp.

My bet is the jersey will be the BUFFALO script one we had a few years ago only a white version of it.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Jack Eichel - "Being part of the whole buildup to the event and being able to play outside would be great.
It's something you watch growing up every year, an event everyone looks forward to.
In my house, I can tell you it was highly watched. It would be awesome, super cool.
I know nothing is set in stone yet but to maybe play in New York City against the Rangers would be a lot of fun."

Eichel said he vividly recalls the first Classic, the Penguins' 2-1 win over Buffalo in Ralph Wilson Stadium that was cemented on Sidney Crosby's shootout goal against Ryan Miller.

Jack Eichel - "I was watching that at home a long time ago and what you remember most is the weather. You hear all different things from guys who have played in it.
You hear terrible experiences with conditions, whether it's too cold, or snowy or hard to see and rainy but I've heard guys say ice was nice and hard and good temperatures.
It really all depends on the weather."

Last edited:

Clock

May 13, 2006
Also the Winter Classic is totally played out at this point. The league took a novelty of playing outdoors and beat it into the ground.

Yeah. I genuinely wish I cared about this enough to investigate going.

It'll be fun to watch on TV, regardless.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016

I would think all hockey fans from the tri-state area would enjoy this. Look, some Jersey fanatic is excited. :sarcasm:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Citi Field is literally a 25 minute subway ride from MSG. If you think we won't be outnumbered by at least a 6-1 margin in the stands you are nuts. Do you think the Bruins, Habs or Leafs would agree to move one of their home games to an opponent's back yard?

Who said I think that Sabres fans wouldn't be outnumbered in the crowd? It's irrelevant to whether or not it is a home game for the Rangers. It simply isn't a home game. Home games provide a stable routine for the home players. This game does not. I'd say the Rangers have about no advantage over the Sabres in this game. The Sabres still lose a home game, though, but it hardly matters. This isn't football. It is 1 out of 41 home games, 1 out of 82 games. They took one game where they'd have a home advantage and turned it into what is likely a neutral game. It simply doesn't matter. The Sabres will make or miss the playoffs on the basis of 100 other more important things.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Man, I thought we were gonna host it here. Outdoor WJC US vs Canada and Winter classic Toronto vs Buffalo. That's what I was hoping for at least.

I figured buffalo would have hosted an outdoor game eith before or after. A problem with an event like this in buffalo will be no hotel space

But they could hist a game before on saturday 23rd december. Then the bills would finish their last 2 games on the road.

The first weekend in January is out because bills could host a playoff game.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
The novelty of these games wore off for me a long time ago. Frigid weather, several times further from the game than your seat in the arena. Will sths be charged for this game?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Will sths be charged for this game?

No. Even though the Sabres would be the home team, season ticket holders will not be charged for a game that is being played at Citi Field. That would be wrong business and would pissed off every season ticket holder if they were charged for this game. They will be charged 40 regular season home games out of the 41 regular season home games that will be being played along with two home pre-season games.

Now they probably will be offered the chance to buy tickets to this game way ahead of any public sale. I doubt they will get free tickets like what happened the first Winter Classic. (This could be a easy way for non-season ticket holders who can travel to the game to get tickets early and perhaps at a cheaper price. Hook up with a Sabres Season ticket holder who won't be able to attend.) These tickets will probably be in a few sections devoted to Sabres fans only.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I figured buffalo would have hosted an outdoor game eith before or after. A problem with an event like this in buffalo will be no hotel space

But they could hist a game before on saturday 23rd december. Then the bills would finish their last 2 games on the road.

The first weekend in January is out because bills could host a playoff game.

Wait, did I miss Brady's retirement announcement?

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
We essentially sold one of our home games. I can't understand why people here aren't livid. What if the de facto rags home game costs us a playoff spot? I live near NYC and am in no way happy about this.

If the Sabres are anywhere near a situation next season where a couple points means anything in relation to a playoff spot, I'll be plenty happy.

This is seriously a pointless worry.

ThunderD

Jan 29, 2016
No. Even though the Sabres would be the home team, season ticket holders will not be charged for a game that is being played at Citi Field. That would be wrong business and would pissed off every season ticket holder if they were charged for this game. They will be charged 40 regular season home games out of the 41 regular season home games that will be being played along with two home pre-season games.

Now they probably will be offered the chance to buy tickets to this game way ahead of any public sale. I doubt they will get free tickets like what happened the first Winter Classic. (This could be a easy way for non-season ticket holders who can travel to the game to get tickets early and perhaps at a cheaper price. Hook up with a Sabres Season ticket holder who won't be able to attend.) These tickets will probably be in a few sections devoted to Sabres fans only.

How do they charge for suites? If it's lump sum I'd be pissed about losing a home game.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
How do they charge for suites? If it's lump sum I'd be pissed about losing a home game.

Suites are leased for a full calendar year, or multiple year, terms. That payment allows access to the suite for FNC events. However, you still must buy tickets to just about every event that you want to use said suite for.

I don't know where people get this idea from that people get screwed on tix for special events like this. They don't charge you for games they don't play under 'normal' conditions.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I'm a STH ... and this news doesn't bother me at all :dunno:

I won't be going most likely ... but I'm glad the Sabres are a part of it again. Should be cool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad