WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

JClark

Nov 22, 2017
Any chance Jack Hughes makes it?

Would love to see Hughes and Wahlstrom there but I think they're going to have to wait until 2019. Wahlstrom was cut after the summer showcase in August and Hughes wasn't even invited to the showcase.

I think for now Wahlstrom is out for sure but Hughes could be invited to camp after his performance at the u17s. Still think it's very unlikely.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Primeau has played pretty well lately. What you guys think. Can he suprise and take bigger role this year if Oettinger and Woll continue their poor run? Also Primeau was part of U18 WJC roster but he was only third goalie so can he still play for Canada? I think he is best bet for next year.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Primeau has played pretty well lately. What you guys think. Can he suprise and take bigger role this year if Oettinger and Woll continue their poor run? Also Primeau was part of U18 WJC roster but he was only third goalie so can he still play for Canada? I think he is best bet for next year.

No. If he's been on a roster for an IIHF tournament then he's locked in to playing for that country

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Primeau considers himself American. He was also the top goalie or close to it at the WJAC as a 17yo last season with Team USA. I'm still pissed that Primeau managed to drop to the 7th round.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Any guys that seem to be playing their way into the conversation so far this year that weren't on the radar in the summer?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 11.35.01 PM.png

Max Gildon - LHD
Quinn Hughes - LHD
Chad Krys - LHD
Ryan Lindgren - LHD

Reilly Walsh almost certainly has carved a spot at the camp. Adam Fox is the only RHD there and Walsh has arguably been the better Harvard defensmen this year.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York

Hope they give the younger guys a chance at camp, like Wahlstrom, Farabee, Wilde etc. maybe even Hughes. These guys dont have to produce like 1st liners, if its close between an underager or a 19 year old who'll play a 4th liner role, give it to the younger guy, it only helps the next year when they return.

Reactions: Let Blaine Die

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Not sure if there's a standard number of guys on the preliminary roster, but I'll go with a nice round 30:

Forwards:

Mittlestadt
Brown
Yammamoto
Poehling
Frederic
Bellows
Tkachuk
Harper
Anderson
Badini
Lodnia
Jones
Tufte
Norris
Lockwood
Chmelevski
Gettinger

Defense:

Lindgren
Fox
Peeke
Martin
Kemp
Krys
Hughes
Anderson
Samberg

Goalie:

Woll
Oettinger
St Cyr
Primeau

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Any news on Point? My guess is USA Hockey all but guaranteed him a spot with a strong chance of starting.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I’ll toss out a 30 player selection camp:

F: (16)
1- Logan Brown C L
2- Kieffer Bellows LW L
3- Jack Kopacka LW L
4- Jack Badini LW L
5- Trent Frederic C L
6- William Lockwood RW R
7- Grant Mismash C L
8- Joey Anderson RW R
9- Ivan Lodnia RW R
10- Patrick Harper C L
11- Oliver Wahlstrom RW R
12- Casey Mittelstadt LW L
13- Kailer Yamamoto RW R
14- Josh Norris C L
15- Ryan Poehling C L
16- Brady Tkachuk LW L

D: (10)
1- Andrew Peeke R
2- Chad Krys L
3- Ryan Lindgren L
4- Adam Fox R
5- Reilly Walsh R
6- Scott Perunovich L
7- Michael Anderson L
8- Quinn Hughes L
9- Luke Martin R
10- Max Gildon L

G: (4)
1- Jake Oettinger
2- Joseph Woll
3- Colton Point (no one seems to know what’s going on with his eligibility/where he wants to play)
4- Cayden Primeau

If Point isn’t an option than I see Dylan St. Cyr or Jeremy Swayman getting that 4th invite and depending on camp, could make it.

As always I expect the USA brass to invite a guy or two that nobody really expects and have them contribute in a big way on the final team.

With that said, here’s what I’d project based on my camp:

Mittelstadt- Brown- Yamamoto
Bellows- Poehling- Lockwood
Harper- Frederic- Anderson
Badini- Norris- Lodnia
Tkachuk

Lindgren- Fox
Krys- Peeke
Perunovich- Walsh
Hughes

Oettinger
Woll
Point

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
As a Stars fan, I may be a bit biased, but I’m really hoping Jason Robertson gets a look. He’s been on a tear lately, and is up to 39 points in 28 games. There’s a going to be a lot of competition up front, so I don’t know what kind of chance he has at making it, but I’m hoping they at least give him a camp invite.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Krys surprises me also. Has anybody ever made it as a 17 yr old, then got cut as an 18 and 19 year old?

Kudos to some of you guys for getting in on Walsh and Perunovich. Well done.

Dont recall seeing McGing's name here at all. Good for him.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
So Swayman is third goalie this year. Why? Primeau would have been much more logical choice because he can still return next year. Also suprised that Krys is not even preliminary roster.

My early prediction was pretty good with forward group but i was pretty lost with defence.

Oettinger
Woll
Swayman

Fox-Lindgren
Samberg-Hughes
Walsh-Peeke
Perunovich

Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto
Bellows-Harper-Lockwood
Tkachuk-Poehling-Anderson
Jones-Frederic-Tufte
Norris

Last edited:

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
So it’s obvious USA Hockey doesn’t trust the 16 and 17 year olds at this tournament, which is probably the right call. Good to see Tkachuck and Quinn Hughes getting looks though. I’m expecting Jack Hughes, Farabee, Wahlstrom, Wilde, etc. to be big players for us next year.

Also pretty surprised Gildon didn’t get an invite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad