WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Krys is kind of surprising but at the same time they have a lot of guys that can fill the role he does, as good if not better so he likely got squeezed out on the basis of not having a defined role.

McGing and Tufte would be my early cuts up front, with Samberg, Hults and Kemp on the back end.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
My prediction:

Mittelstadt - Brown - Yamamoto
Harper - Poehling - Anderson
Bellows - Norris - Badini
Tkachuk - Frederic - Lockwood
Jones

Lindgren - Fox
Hughes - Peeke
Samberg - Walsh
Anderson

Oettinger
Woll
Swayman

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Definitely some surprises there. Gotta feel for Krys. I get how he was left off the final roster last year, but to not even get a camp invite seems wrong to me. He has 14 points in 17 games this season and is a 19 year old. I feel like there must be some other issue at work. Is there any history there of not being a team guy?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
So it’s obvious USA Hockey doesn’t trust the 16 and 17 year olds at this tournament, which is probably the right call. Good to see Tkachuck and Quinn Hughes getting looks though. I’m expecting Jack Hughes, Farabee, Wahlstrom, Wilde, etc. to be big players for us next year.

Also pretty surprised Gildon didn’t get an invite.

You gotta be a pretty epic 16 or 17 year old to make these teams I think

Reactions: Hagstrom

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I’d have brought Krys but how much room does a team have for small puck moving defence... the more I think about it the easier I think it is to justify him not coming. Now I fully expected him to be but I can see where the USA brass is coming from.

I see Quinton Hughes a small puck moving defenceman, Adam Fox another smaller puck moving defence and Ryan Lindgren will he used as a defensive stalwart on this team and isn’t just all defence (though he probably is on this team) are all locks on my team.

Michael Anderson (L)- is a strong two-way player, that sees the ice well, has good shot and can move the puck. Maybe not elite at any one thing but really good at a lot of things.

Cole Hults (L)- Not as familiar with him but from my understanding he’s a really physical defenceman, who has some solid offensive ability.

Phil Kemp (R)- A big, physical stay at home defenceman. Not as a strong skater but in his role, I don’t think it would be a problem.

Andrew Peeke (R)- Another big, strong, physical defenceman. Has above average skating ability and solid puck moving ability.

Scott Perunovich (L)- He’s a smaller puck moving defenceman, that has had a great year and is being rewarded.

Dylan Samberg (L)- Really good skater, solid shot, not a great passer but passable for this level. Solid positionally on the defensive end and uses his frame well.

Reilly Walsh (R)- Another smaller guy, that has really good offensive ability and great skating. Has been really good so far for Harvard.

So when you start looking at the team, Chad Krys brings a lot of similar qualities as these other players and if you consider the fact that Hughes and Fox are puck moving defence and Walsh likely gets the nod based on his play so far this year, when you start filling out what the defence could potentially look like it’s easy to see why he got squeezed out. I’d have brought him to camp but there could also be other external issues at play that I’m not aware of.

These would be my top 6:

Lindgren- Fox
Hughes- Peeke
Anderson- Walsh

So there just doesn’t look like there is a really defined role for him, you can bring other and different pieces that play in different situations then Krys.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
That was a very reasoned argument, Dodospice. You put far more effort into that than was even necessary. With that all said, nobody was giving Krys a spot on the final roster by any means, but to not let him fight it out against his competition in camp seems odd. Yes, there are similar players that fill that role, but you can easily turn that argument around and ask why each one of those guys was not the one being made redundant by Krys? I'm still leaning toward there being other issues... off ice issues. Josh Ho-Sang was a Canadian snub in the past and it certainly wasn't because of his game on the ice. The dude had a terrible attitude and was all about himself. Not saying that's the problem with Krys, but I do wonder if there was some external factor at work here that we don't know about.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
That was a very reasoned argument, Dodospice. You put far more effort into that than was even necessary. With that all said, nobody was giving Krys a spot on the final roster by any means, but to not let him fight it out against his competition in camp seems odd. Yes, there are similar players that fill that role, but you can easily turn that argument around and ask why each one of those guys was not the one being made redundant by Krys? I'm still leaning toward there being other issues... off ice issues. Josh Ho-Sang was a Canadian snub in the past and it certainly wasn't because of his game on the ice. The dude had a terrible attitude and was all about himself. Not saying that's the problem with Krys, but I do wonder if there was some external factor at work here that we don't know about.

It’s definitely interesting to say the least. I thought Krys was deserving of an invite and the opportunity to show his stuff at camp. When I look at it, it easily could have come down to handedness.. I’m a believer of having a L-R shot on each pairing. I think Walsh is a near lock so if you’re bringing 2 RH puck moving D and another one in Hughes on the left side, does another LH puck mover make sense? I can’t see where it hurts but when constructing a team and filling roles, he probably doesn’t. Anderson probably has a step above the other LHD because of his all around ability and Peeke/Kemp are likely battling for the same role or the opportunity to be the 7th D with the other LHS.

So if the last spot potentially is coming down between One of Peeke/Kemp, Samberg, Perunovich and Hults, the only guy who’s really similar Krys is Perunovich. Personally I’d give that nod to Krys over Perunovich. It makes me think that possibly something has happened between Krys and the USA Brass at some point or maybe there is rumblings of something else, I’m not sure. USA Hockey has been known to cut/invite guys that had a rough go before at the WJC, with the Puljujarvi slash and a rough go his first time around maybe they didn’t want him back. They did cut DeBrincat last year and numerous before him that I thought deserved to be on the team.

Krys deserved an invite, his play this season warrants it. The fact he didn’t get one is surprising but not out of line with what USA Hockey has done before. I’m surprised and a little disappointed that he didn’t get one but I don’t have all the intel everyone else does.

Reactions: Statsy

Samuel Desbiens

Dec 5, 2017
Quebec City, Quebec
It is a very scary USA roster up front with many talented players but also a great mix of skills and size. They could be able to defend their title this year, even if some teams have a legitimate chance to win.

My prediction :
Casey Mittelstadt - Logan Brown - Kailer Yamamoto
Kieffer Bellows - Trent Frederic - Joey Anderson
Will Lockwood - Ryan Poehling - Josh Norris
Brady Tkachuk - Jack Badini - Patrick Harper
Max Jones

Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Quinn Hughes - Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg - Andrew Peeke
Mikey Anderson

Jake Oettinger - Joseph Woll - Jeremy Swayman

It is maybe too early, but would you go with Oettinger or Woll to start the tournament? I think they should play 1 game each against Canada and Finland to see who's gonna take the #1 spot for the rest of the tournament, but I'm curious to know what do you think about the #1 job between the posts.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
It is a very scary USA roster up front with many talented players but also a great mix of skills and size. They could be able to defend their title this year, even if some teams have a legitimate chance to win.

My prediction :
Casey Mittelstadt - Logan Brown - Kailer Yamamoto
Kieffer Bellows - Trent Frederic - Joey Anderson
Will Lockwood - Ryan Poehling - Josh Norris
Brady Tkachuk - Jack Badini - Patrick Harper
Max Jones

Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Quinn Hughes - Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg - Andrew Peeke
Mikey Anderson

Jake Oettinger - Joseph Woll - Jeremy Swayman

It is maybe too early, but would you go with Oettinger or Woll to start the tournament? I think they should play 1 game each against Canada and Finland to see who's gonna take the #1 spot for the rest of the tournament, but I'm curious to know what do you think about the #1 job between the posts.

I'd lean Oettinger right now but neither of them is doing much to inspire confidence this year.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto
Bellows-Poehling-Harper
Jones-Frederic-Anderson
Tkachuk-Norris-Lockwood
Tufte, this could be Badini, but I don't know why USA Hockey likes Badini, he kind of sucks.

Lindgren-Fox
Hughes-Peeke
Samberg-Walsh
Anderson, although I could see Perunovich making the team, but I think Hughes fills his roll and we don't need them both.

Oettinger
Woll
Swayman​

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He's on Canada's preliminary roster.

Not sure the particulars but it's likely he wasn't able to be cleared to play for the U.S. ((like Walman). I'll be interested to see if he gets a fair shake at the final roster as I would think Hart is the starter for sure with Dipietro as the likely back-up. Canada doesn't usually take three goalies (unless that has changed).

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Im trying to wrap my head around the Point situation. Do you think USA offered him a spot and he chose to play for Canada instead? Or was he ruled ineligible for USA? Or did USA not offer him? Or something else?

Does anybody know anything about this? Even guesses are welcomed cuz I have no idea. Thanx

Edit: oops...just reading the posts immediately above kine and see that the conversation has already started.....I should really read before I post

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Im trying to wrap my head around the Point situation. Do you think USA offered him a spot and he chose to play for Canada instead? Or was he ruled ineligible for USA? Or did USA not offer him? Or something else?

Does anybody know anything about this? Even guesses are welcomed cuz I have no idea. Thanx

Edit: oops...just reading the posts immediately above kine and see that the conversation has already started.....I should really read before I post

My guess is that US wasn't ready to offer him least second keeper role. Bob trust Woll and Oettinger are good enough and he knows them already from last year so Point should have earn his spot hard way like he have to do with Canada. Then he decided to join Canada where he is born and raised after all. Also have to say that i dont see why he should have been eligible to play for US after what happened with Walman couple years ago.

BDoan13

Oct 21, 2017
Definitely surprised that Krys didn't even make the preliminary roster because he's been real good for BU this year. I certainly think Hughes will be on the team, he's a gem and whatever team gets him is getting a real good player. As an Oilers fan I'm happy to see Kemp on the list, although I know it's very unlikely that he'll make the final roster I'm hoping he shows well in the pre-tournament games and maybe he can earn a spot as a shutdown guy.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Can you feel it?? We're getting close!!!! Sorry for the long post, but it's Sunday morning and I'm on my third cup of coffee.

My current thoughts:

Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto
Tkachuk- Frederic-Harper
Bellows-Poehling-Anderson
Badini-Norris-Lockwood
McGing

McGing is there cuz I think there has to be a reason that they invited him. I was surprised to see Harper invited last year. This feels similar. They wouldn't invite him if they didn't like him. Personally, I'd prefer Tufte.

Lindgren-Fox
Hughes- Peeke
Perunovich-Kemp
Walsh

I was worried that our D was too small last year and I think I'll be worried again. Worked out ok last year, I guess.

Woll/Oettinger/Swayman

Somebody needs to talk me off the cliff on our goalie situation. I keep waiting for Woll or Oettinger to string some games together. This was the area I was most confident in 3 months ago; now, my pessimistic nature is telling me this is a huge concern.

Keep in mind that our final cuts last year were Brown (injured), Krys (was a surprise), and Debrincat (was a HUGE surprise). I won't be shocked if somebody who's been considered a lock goes home.

Additionally, I'm also concerned about our pool. I think we might have the three best teams on our side of the draw. Which is fine, as long as you win the pool. But that is certainly a long ways off and not worth worrying about yet (but I will).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad