WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
With the addition of Yamamoto the US should be clear cut favorites. The real question is who is #2.

Sweden. Pettersson, Nylander, Bratt, Anderssson, Dahlin, Liljegren, Brannstrom, Boqvist brothers. That team could win it. I think if this wasn't on home ice for us, I'd pick Sweden to win, but I do think we will repeat, as long as Oettinger plays in net.

I think Russia's going to have a really bad team this year, Finland might struggle also due to a lack of good forwards and goalies. Czech Republic could surprise this year with Chytil, Necas, Zadina, they have a more talented team than they usually do. Canada will be in and around the medal games, although I think they've been a lull of late, and I don't think this will be their year to win it.

Reactions: JiggsNY

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Sweden. Pettersson, Nylander, Bratt, Anderssson, Dahlin, Liljegren, Brannstrom, Boqvist brothers. That team could win it. I think if this wasn't on home ice for us, I'd pick Sweden to win, but I do think we will repeat, as long as Oettinger plays in net.

I think Russia's going to have a really bad team this year, Finland might struggle also due to a lack of good forwards and goalies. Czech Republic could surprise this year with Chytil, Necas, Zadina, they have a more talented team than they usually do. Canada will be in and around the medal games, although I think they've been a lull of late, and I don't think this will be their year to win it.
Luukkonen should be good in the net. Offence might lack some depth but Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Turkulainen, Puljujarvi and Kuokkanen should be a very solid top 6. The bottom 6 is a the questionmark but there is some potential there with Kupari, Kotkaniemi, Koivula and Ikonen

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Luukkonen should be good in the net. Offence might lack some depth but Vesalainen, Tolvanen, Heponiemi, Turkulainen, Puljujarvi and Kuokkanen should be a very solid top 6. The bottom 6 is a the questionmark but there is some potential there with Kupari, Kotkaniemi, Koivula and Ikonen

Luukkonen isn't bad, I just don't think he's a top goalie at this tournament when you consider Hart, Oettinger, Gustavsson and even the Russian goalie Sukhachyov are all going to be returners from last year, 4 of the 5 got into games last year, and the other Oettinger should've, but for some reason they opted for Woll. Luukkonen might be the bench of this bunch in 10 years, but right now I think he's not as good as these goalies. He's more on par with Czech Republic's goalie Skarek or a little better.

As for the offense, I think it depends if Puljujarvi plays. If he does, that offense looks a lot better. If not, you are relying on like 4 or 5 big name forwards, and some younger players like Kotkaniemi or Kupari who might do very well or might not play all that well, its hard to know. I think Finland is lacking forward depth this year.

If I was to rank the teams, I'd probably say USA at 1, Sweden at 2, Canada at 3, Finland at 4, Russia and Czech Republic a toss up at 5, although its always hard to know how these competitions will play out, and usually any of the main five can win. I'd add Czech Republic to that group this year because I think they have a talented team, so I think any of those six could win this year.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Luukkonen isn't bad, I just don't think he's a top goalie at this tournament when you consider Hart, Oettinger, Gustavsson and even the Russian goalie Sukhachyov are all going to be returners from last year, 4 of the 5 got into games last year, and the other Oettinger should've, but for some reason they opted for Woll. Luukkonen might be the bench of this bunch in 10 years, but right now I think he's not as good as these goalies. He's more on par with Czech Republic's goalie Skarek or a little better.

As for the offense, I think it depends if Puljujarvi plays. If he does, that offense looks a lot better. If not, you are relying on like 4 or 5 big name forwards, and some younger players like Kotkaniemi or Kupari who might do very well or might not play all that well, its hard to know. I think Finland is lacking forward depth this year.

If I was to rank the teams, I'd probably say USA at 1, Sweden at 2, Canada at 3, Finland at 4, Russia and Czech Republic a toss up at 5, although its always hard to know how these competitions will play out, and usually any of the main five can win. I'd add Czech Republic to that group this year because I think they have a talented team, so I think any of those six could win this year.
Seems like a fair ranking to me. I do feel Russia is being underestimated again. They always manage to stuff themselves to the top 3, no matter how people rate them

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Russia's always a threat and damn Bragins a great coach at this level. Same with Sweden, Finland's D is going to be scary good

And I think Canada and us are pretty even at the top. Anything can happen in one game scenarios or teams just being off in a short tournament like this (US in 2012, Finlandast year etc.)

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I always assume Canada is the favorite. They lose quite a bit to the NHL this year but they are still the team I'd bet on if I had to bet.

But in a single-game elimination tourney, anything can happen (my "Captain Obvious" input for the day).

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I have a feeling they aren't going to have him lol

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
We'll have to wait and see, but there's another month and a half to decide, and I'm not sure he can keep up this start nor am I sure the Devils will be competitive, so he might be sent back.
His production might slip but he has been playing a pretty key role in there team right now. The only time players tend to get sent back is when they aren't getting the playing time they need. I mean it is possible but I would definitely not be putting him into the team. But besides that even without him Sweden's team does look the most impressive to me even without Bratt.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Any chance Drake Rymsha can make this team? Has been really good in Sarnia this season. With goalies i still have trust in Woll and Oettinger and they also have already experience from last year what it takes to win this tournament. I think Primeau has been best American 99 born goalie so far this season and probably should be third goalie this year. I dont like IIHF ruling but if Walman wasn't able to play couple years ago i dont see Point can do it either.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I always assume Canada is the favorite. They lose quite a bit to the NHL this year but they are still the team I'd bet on if I had to bet.

But in a single-game elimination tourney, anything can happen (my "Captain Obvious" input for the day).

Canada has lost five straight to the USA in terms of this level and they look to be committed to bringing back most of the same D that has suffered in those defeats. I think Team USA is better this year, it doesn't mean that Canada cannot reverse it in a single game format, but they are the ones banking on that thinking this time around coming into the tournament for once not the US.

Reactions: Joe Zanussi

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Interesting to watch the forwards jockeying for position. IMO, Tkachuk, Tufte, and Badini are trending down while Robertson, Chmlevski, Lockwood, and Lodnia are trending up. And I've got an eye on Kopcaka sneaking up.

To be fair to Tkachuk, he's currently playing his "muck it up, get dirty" game against guys who are 4 years older and stronger than him. His game will look MUCH better against 19 year olds than it does against 22 year olds.

On D, I'm still clinging to my hope in Krys. But I'm wavering for sure.

Keep in mind, I don't see any CHL games at all and I know the numbers are inflated up there. But, I see a lot of NCAA games so I just do my best to compare.

Here's where I am today:

Mittlestadt-Brown-Yamamoto
Bellows-Frederic-Anderson
Harper-Poehling-Lockwood
Tkachuk-Badini-Lodnia

(Next Up: Tufte, Gettinger, Robertson, Kopacka, Chmlevski)

Lindgren-Fox
Hughes-Peeke
Krys-Martin
(Next Up: Kemp, Hellickson)

Woll/Oettinger
St. Cyr

Last edited:
Reactions: clevelandcane

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Canada has lost five straight to the USA in terms of this level and they look to be committed to bringing back most of the same D that has suffered in those defeats. I think Team USA is better this year, it doesn't mean that Canada cannot reverse it in a single game format, but they are the ones banking on that thinking this time around coming into the tournament for once not the US.
You are probably right....it's just such a crapshoot most years though. I like the USA team quite a bit this year though

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
USA wins in forward depth imo but Heiskanen, Juolevi, Välimäki will help out in the offense. I consider USA one of the favorites also, but if I had to guess it will be USA, Canada or Finland winning this year.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I mean the team lost to the States last year in a shootout, it isn't like Canada got run out of the building in dominating fashion. Last years Canadian team had a very young defense with multiple 18 year olds....We have seen many times that there can be a huge difference between 18 and 19 in this tournament. This isn't even me saying that I think Canada is better(I think both teams are close but if Canada gets Jost that edges us on paper) but to say that you are better because we are bringing back the same defense....that came about as close as you can get to winning last year is very very silly.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I mean the team lost to the States last year in a shootout, it isn't like Canada got run out of the building in dominating fashion. Last years Canadian team had a very young defense with multiple 18 year olds....We have seen many times that there can be a huge difference between 18 and 19 in this tournament. This isn't even me saying that I think Canada is better(I think both teams are close but if Canada gets Jost that edges us on paper) but to say that you are better because we are bringing back the same defense....that came about as close as you can get to winning last year is very very silly.

Canada has lost the last 5 full squad games at this level if I remember right. If they want to do the same thing by all means I am happy to watch them do that as a USA Hockey fan.

If you want to hang your hat on them allowing 4 goals in the gold medal game as a good moment, it points to the deficiencies in the group in my opinion. Especially when you consider Chabot was the only one that had a particularly good game and he won't be there this year. They followed that up by giving up more than a touchdown in 2 of the 3 summer games, though it is noteworthy that two of those are split squad so that doesn't factor into that bigger full squad picture. Still I don't see much on the Canadian back-end that strikes me with fear and that is important as their goaltending also isn't all that great in my opinion. Run and gun hockey is fun, but it usually sends you home at this tournament.

Jost doesn't swing the scales back in my opinion, Canada really needs that as soon as Brown and Yamamoto were sent back this year.

I think the US is better this year because I think they have more talent. That they have been beating them consistently the last couple years also tells me this group should enter expecting success against their rivals up north, while Canada enters hoping to buck that trend. Again it is a role reversal historically but those seem to be the mechanics at play for the players between 20-17 here, the US has had more success in this matchup.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Canada has lost the last 5 full squad games at this level if I remember right. If they want to do the same thing by all means I am happy to watch them do that as a USA Hockey fan.

If you want to hang your hat on them allowing 4 goals in the gold medal game as a good moment, it points to the deficiencies in the group in my opinion. Especially when you consider Chabot was the only one that had a particularly good game and he won't be there this year. They followed that up by giving up more than a touchdown in 2 of the 3 summer games, though it is noteworthy that two of those are split squad so that doesn't factor into that bigger full squad picture. Still I don't see much on the Canadian back-end that strikes me with fear and that is important as their goaltending also isn't all that great in my opinion. Run and gun hockey is fun, but it usually sends you home at this tournament.

Jost doesn't swing the scales back in my opinion, Canada really needs that as soon as Brown and Yamamoto were sent back this year.
I think you completely missed my point. I am not quite sure what anything outside of last year has to do with this years tournament though as that is the only one where any of the players were similar? Like I said you are judging a back end that last year was full of 18 year old players and time and time again players look far better in this tournament at 19 then they did at 18....Chabot being the latest example and this year Clague looks to be in that role having an even better year in Brandon then Chabot did last year in the Q. I respectfully think you are highly under rating what the Canadian squad will be this year to be honest. If the States had of lost that skills competition at the end of that great final last year would it have shown the deficiencies in that group? Just curious.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think you completely missed my point. I am not quite sure what anything outside of last year has to do with this years tournament though as that is the only one where any of the players were similar? Like I said you are judging a back end that last year was full of 18 year old players and time and time again players look far better in this tournament at 19 then they did at 18....Chabot being the latest example and this year Clague looks to be in that role having an even better year in Brandon then Chabot did last year in the Q. I respectfully think you are highly under rating what the Canadian squad will be this year to be honest. If the States had of lost that skills competition at the end of that great final last year would it have shown the deficiencies in that group? Just curious.

No... They have a more balanced roster and despite playing a loose first in the Gold Medal game they have consistently beaten this age group while having a better D-core and better goaltending. These kids have played each other for years now because of the evolution of hockey. This core of USA players has had near unprecedented success against their Canadian counterpart age group.

I get that it is strange to hear an argument where you're not the top dog. Again this is more the exception though as a fan of USA Hockey and I hope this becomes more or less the norm in terms of true debate. I am not sure this should be all that surprising given the draft years driving this. Granted the US has some older guys but this is the Matthews draft where most people thought the US actually for once had more talent in the draft than Canada.

Canada's had a couple of weak drafts in a row here. The one game elimination format for once to me favors them when these two hook up. I think the US is better this year plain and simple. I will be disappointed with any other medal than Gold. I actually enter this tournament more scared of the Scandinavian countries in this addition.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
To be accurate about this the USA and Canada have played 7 games from 2013 on in the WJHC U20.
The USA has won 4 of those games Canada 3. The USA has won the last three in a row including last years Gold Medal game in a shootout.
Canada does not have a U17 team nor does it have a U18 team so I'm not sure how the USA has had unprecedented success against their Canadian counterpart age group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad