WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

hockeypuck9399

Nov 23, 2017
Maine
It is a very scary USA roster up front with many talented players but also a great mix of skills and size. They could be able to defend their title this year, even if some teams have a legitimate chance to win.

My prediction :
Casey Mittelstadt - Logan Brown - Kailer Yamamoto
Kieffer Bellows - Trent Frederic - Joey Anderson
Will Lockwood - Ryan Poehling - Josh Norris
Brady Tkachuk - Jack Badini - Patrick Harper
Max Jones

Ryan Lindgren - Adam Fox
Quinn Hughes - Reilly Walsh
Dylan Samberg - Andrew Peeke
Mikey Anderson

Jake Oettinger - Joseph Woll - Jeremy Swayman

It is maybe too early, but would you go with Oettinger or Woll to start the tournament? I think they should play 1 game each against Canada and Finland to see who's gonna take the #1 spot for the rest of the tournament, but I'm curious to know what do you think about the #1 job between the posts.
Swayman is better than both of them. I'm sure they'll go with Oettinger and Woll, but if they want the best goalie it's Swayman.

Reactions: veganbruin

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Swayman has been one of if not the best goalies in college Hockey but I don't expect him to get the nod. This team is stacked tho.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Swayman has been one of if not the best goalies in college Hockey but I don't expect him to get the nod. This team is stacked tho.

I disagree. I think he has a real chance of starting. If the other two were locked in they would have brought a young guy to get some experience.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The Brown line is obvious, though I'd like to see them deployed as a 2nd line to get favorable matchups so they can really establish their cycle game.

Harper - Norris - Anderson
Mittlestadt - Brown - Yamamoto
Tkachuk - Poehling - Lockwood
Bellows - Frederic - Badini
Jones

Might be a decent lineup.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
The Brown line is obvious, though I'd like to see them deployed as a 2nd line to get favorable matchups so they can really establish their cycle game.

Harper - Norris - Anderson
Mittlestadt - Brown - Yamamoto
Tkachuk - Poehling - Lockwood
Bellows - Frederic - Badini
Jones

Might be a decent lineup.
Very strong lineup.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Max Jones is a risky player to take. It could pay off if he has self control bc he can flat out play, but he could also be the guy to get a 5 minute major or suspension. Sometimes it seems like the elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Max Jones is a risky player to take. It could pay off if he has self control bc he can flat out play, but he could also be the guy to get a 5 minute major or suspension. Sometimes it seems like the elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

Makes me wonder why we...of all teams drafted him!!!:sarcasm:

everything

Jan 5, 2017
How come Danti Fabbro makes it for team Canada while teammate Chad Krys who has much better stats 18 points in 19 games vs 11 in 19 doesn't make team USA. I don't know much about hockey so am I missing something.?

Last edited:

Boomtime

Aug 22, 2012
Is Tufte pretty much cut in everyone's minds? Haven't seen his name mentioned in quite a few pages.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
How come Danti Fabbro makes it for team Canada while teammate Chad Krys who has much better stats 18 points in 19 games vs 11 in 19 doesn't make team USA. I don't know much about hockey so am I missing something.?
Team USA has some great defensive depth. They're bringing back Fox and Lindgren who played on the 2017 Championship team, as well as have Hughes and Kemp who have played for the USNTDP already.

Realistically there was 5-6 guys competing for 2-3 slots.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Team USA has some great defensive depth. They're bringing back Fox and Lindgren who played on the 2017 Championship team, as well as have Hughes and Kemp who have played for the USNTDP already.

Realistically there was 5-6 guys competing for 2-3 slots.
Perunovich has been really impressive for UMD.
Very versatile and can play any role

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Thoughts on Joshua Norris? Is he expected to make the team?

I think Norris, Tkachuk, Badini, Tufte, McGing and Jones fight for last spots but i think both Norris and Tkachuk should make it. Have to wait and see how they perform in pre tournament games but i really hope Jones make it. But like we see last year you never know who makes it. Sending Debrincat home last year was huge suprise. McCing is interesting invite because i just dont see a role for him. There is already many smaller guys and you still need size against Russia and Canada. Jones can fit well for fourth line role and Tufte can bring another big body. Last year US had great balance with size and speed and with these guys they can do it again if they pick right guys.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017

he's been better this season, hasn't he? granted, he's missed some games due to injury so fewer opportunities i suppose

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015

Thanks - he's already posted Day 1 opening line combinations. I don't believe he necessarily posted them by position (L-C-R) or as any sort of depth chart (rather by observation), so these may look jumbled but here is what he notes in order of tweets and mentions...

Mittlestadt - Frederic - McGing
Tufte - Brown - Yamamoto
Anderson - Tkachuck- Norris
Bellows - Lockwood - Badini
Jones - Harper - Poehling

Interesting to see the expected first line broken up. Big time linemate placement for predicted bubble players in McGing and Tufte...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad