WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Hopefully he's at least invited to the December camp. I think he'd look great on this team. Non-NCAAers are usally interesting cases with this team though.

This could be a BIG forward group

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Is it looking like Yamamoto will stick with the Oilers? Or Brown with the Sens?

I havent seen either of their games so take this with an enormous grain of salt. Judging by other people's perceptions, both will be sent back to Juniors after nine games.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
What Sens and Oilers doing? Should send Brown and Yamamoto back to juniors if they can't give them playing time. Okay Yamamoto has played four games but still.

Offtopic but have to say that, old hfboards version was hundred times better.

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
What Sens and Oilers doing? Should send Brown and Yamamoto back to juniors if they can't give them playing time. Okay Yamamoto has played four games but still.

This is par for the course. Keep them up and at least practicing/working out with the big team for as long as they can.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
This is par for the course. Keep them up and at least practicing/working out with the big team for as long as they can.

A little worried since I have zero confidence in the Oilers handling anything but a surefire prospect.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

Xenforo is better software but I have no idea why the version HF got is so bad.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
It will be hard to keep Max Gildon off this team if he continues to dominate NCAA hockey the way he has through five games and an exhibition. He is currently 5-1--6 (3 PPG) and +7 through five regular season games and he posted an additional PP goal and an assist in UNH's exhibition game.

UNH is off to its best start in years and it is due in large part to Gildon. He has been dominant and currently leads the country in PPG and is tied for second in overall goals scored. He has played with a supreme and smooth confidence well beyond his years. Its only been three weeks - but, quite frankly, he looks like the player everyone thought he was a few years ago. He has simply been the best player on the ice, for either team, in most of the games. UNH is 5-0-0 so far...

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
It will be hard to keep Max Gildon off this team if he continues to dominate NCAA hockey the way he has through five games and an exhibition. He is currently 5-1--6 (3 PPG) and +7 through five regular season games and he posted an additional PP goal and an assist in UNH's exhibition game.

UNH is off to its best start in years and it is due in large part to Gildon. He has been dominant and currently leads the country in PPG and is tied for second in overall goals scored. He has played with a supreme and smooth confidence well beyond his years. Its only been three weeks - but, quite frankly, he looks like the player everyone thought he was a few years ago. He has simply been the best player on the ice, for either team, in most of the games. UNH is 5-0-0 so far...

Too funny. I came here to post my current lineup prediction and to say that Gildon should be strongly considered.

Reactions: NewHampshire

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
Two months til we get serious about this thing. Here's what I've got today:

Mittelstadt-Brown-Yamamoto
Tkachuk- Poehling- Anderson
Jones- Frederic - Harper
Tufte - Badini - Lockwood
Bellows (keeping my eye on: Lodnia, Norris)

Lindgren-Fox
Hughes- Martin
Krys - Peeke
Kemp (keeping my eye on: Gildon, Anderson)

Woll
Oettinger
St Cyr

Reactions: tfantasy

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's been great to see a couple of guys (Frederic, Gildon) that had disappointing WJSS showings come out strong to start the NCAA season. Mikey Anderson was strong at the WJSS and he's had a fantastic start to his freshman campaign, and Gettinger has shown well in the OHL to start too. Given USAH's penchant for unheralded picks, I wouldn't be surprised if they're following guys like Zach Solow (Northeastern), John Leonard (UMass), and Reilly Walsh (Harvard), the latter of which scored 2 goals in Harvard's game against the NTDP U18 squad, which you know the USAH head honchos witnessed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We're obviously not getting Keller, unless Arizona is so bad that they don't mind him missing about a month helping them tank. Doubt we get Yamamoto either. I think Brown will be on this team, I don't think he's gonna stick in the NHL.

With that being considered, this is what I'd suggest. One bold pick on the defense.

Mittelstadt-Brown-Harper
Tkachuk-Frederic-Anderson
Bellows-Poehling-Lodnia
Jones-Norris-Gettinger
Tufte

Lindgren-Fox
Hughes-Peeke
Samberg-Wilde
Krys

Oettinger
Woll
Petruzzelli

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto

You have to take his stats with a massive grain of salt. Through 6 games, 4 were against two of the worst teams in the NCAA - and against a legit team he managed 1 assist in 2 games played. Hell, 6 players on the team are currently PPG.

Also saying he has been the best player on the ice isn’t saying much when no one else on the team was drafted before the 4th round.

Way to early to use that type of hyperbole

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I feel like Wahlstrom has a good chance to play himself onto the team out of all the 2018s. 10GP with 17P so far with the U18s. Maybe Wilde if they feel the D needs help.

Reactions: clevelandcane

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
You have to take his stats with a massive grain of salt. Through 6 games, 4 were against two of the worst teams in the NCAA - and against a legit team he managed 1 assist in 2 games played. Hell, 6 players on the team are currently PPG.

Also saying he has been the best player on the ice isn’t saying much when no one else on the team was drafted before the 4th round.

Way to early to use that type of hyperbole

I don't have to take anything with even the slightest grain of salt. The first line of my post declared he would be hard to keep off the team IF he kept playing the way he was playing.

And as someone who has seen EVERY shift he has skated in the NCAA this season, I can tell you he has played right up to the level of his production would indicate. CC and Colgate are not power houses but there are very good players on both teams - many 2-4 years older than Gildon. UNH has a few gifted offensive players (including 3 seniors) and another true freshman standout on D who have frankly taken a back seat to Gildon thus far. Being drafted doesn't equate to instant production in NCAA hockey. Did you miss Bellows' performance last season?

He was outstanding on both ends against Lowell as well. If you're going to hold his production in the UML series or the UNH schedule against him, we'll have a hard time putting a roster together (but more on that later)!! His production, his defense and his confidence with the puck have been notably apparent. His transition to college hockey has been smooth and he deserves a long hard look for this team as a result. He is currently a different player than the one who was sent home from summer camp.

Your post indicates you likely haven't seen many of his shifts - if any. You appear to have also forgotten that UNH has been among the worst teams in college hockey lately. Gildon is easily the most important player in UNHs strong start. While it's a team game, more than any other player he is the reason UNH has been beating the Colgates and CCs and not losing to them as the often did the last few years. More than any other he is the reason UNH is currently allowing just 2.00 goals per game after allowing nearly 3.5 last season (including 5 to CC). More than any other player, he has picked up the offensive slack after Tyler Kelleher's graduation. Watch him play and you will see this. If you still don't think he should be on the team - I don't care. No one else has picked him since I posted. Dismissing his early performance, however, is to simply be unaware.

The D often projected to make the roster ahead of him might not meet your standard either, Im afraid.

Gildon: 6-1--7 +6

Anderson: 3-3--6 E
* but four of his six points came against Merrimack! Avg schedule (if you buy into Bemidji being more than one of the better teams in a bad league), otherwise poor. He's out.

Krys: 0-4--4 +1
* tough schedule, he's in I guess

Samburg: 0-3--3 +1
* all three points in one game vs MC. Out.

Peeke: 0-3--3 +4
* Atrocious schedule. Points against Sacred Heart only. Nope.

Hughes: 1-2--3 +3
* Played one good team. No points against Clarkson. Out.

Martin: 0-1--1 +4
* One point against that schedule? Out.

Lindgren: 0-1--1 -1
* Good schedule at least - running out of bodies. So in I guess.

I sure hope Fox and Kemp start strong!

And just for good measure - Cale Makar is only 0-3--3, +1 against a schedule that outside of OSU has been pitiful...

Last edited:

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
How's his defensive game been? Big body that could be useful on 3rd or 4th line is he's not quite top-6 material for this team

He's been very good - with the exception of an ugly unforced turnover that resulted in an OT loss last Saturday. Up until that point he had been very strong. He's logging big minutes playing with Cameron Marks and they've been a shut down pair, he's quarterbacking the PP and starting the PK.

There are many good options and my intention was never to come here and stump for him - but unless his game falls apart I think he's a better option right now than a few of the other NCAA defenseman being mentioned as likely candidates. He makes sense as at least the seventh guy, rotating in and running the second PP behind Fox. His ability to get shots through to the net is special...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->