WC: 2018 - Team Czech Republic

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Thx for responses So I add Kubalik to locks ( forgot about him)

Locks:
Faksa,Repik,Cervenka,Nestrasil,Hanzl(stop overpassing),Jaskin,Horak, Kubalik

Close to nomination as follows: Stransky, Kaut, Stastny,Frk,Tomasek

Is that mean 5 remaining spots for forwards? Kaut is going to make it imo unless he does smth fatal in next games. As to youngs I guess coach tries Zadina with Necas and this will decide it. Chytil will be tested with olds imo. I wasnt much certained about those two. Zadina doesnt show any intensity and their backchecking is lets say nonagressive. I know its his game ,but with our defense we can not even afford to be in our zone imo and it looked swedes locked them a lot. Dont really know if they are capable to handle it but it could also change in next matches. Still they handled this game. Chlapik, he looked he play like in Ottawa, invisible but responsible:) neuwirth sure, I didnt even know he is healthy. But its question whether to invite so many goalies.

But god how long it is since I watched guys really battling for spots and the best ones will make it. Ten years ago or more? Stastny is doing great job in that terms:)

Reactions: Maluk11

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
But its true that even if they pick youngs its still average team imo, so Chytil might be good risk because he is game changer or will be

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Thx for responses So I add Kubalik to locks ( forgot about him)

Locks:
Faksa,Repik,Cervenka,Nestrasil,Hanzl(stop overpassing),Jaskin,Horak, Kubalik

Close to nomination as follows: Stransky, Kaut, Stastny,Frk,Tomasek

Is that mean 5 remaining spots for forwards? Kaut is going to make it imo unless he does smth fatal in next games. As to youngs I guess coach tries Zadina with Necas and this will decide it. Chytil will be tested with olds imo. I wasnt much certained about those two. Zadina doesnt show any intensity and their backchecking is lets say nonagressive. I know its his game ,but with our defense we can not even afford to be in our zone imo and it looked swedes locked them a lot. Dont really know if they are capable to handle it but it could also change in next matches. Still they handled this game. Chlapik, he looked he play like in Ottawa, invisible but responsible:) neuwirth sure, I didnt even know he is healthy. But its question whether to invite so many goalies.

But god how long it is since I watched guys really battling for spots and the best ones will make it. Ten years ago or more? Stastny is doing great job in that terms:)
It can be less then 5 remaining spots, Voráček, Zacha and Plekanec are close to elimination. And they will definitely wait for NHL round 2 players, if current matchup stay same, there will be someone of Krejčí/Pastrňák or Palát free to go.

Agree about Šťastný, he is trying hard to get there. It will be hard decision for coach, 7 forwards will difinitely be cut from this team and maybe even more.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
My thinking is that I don't think we are winning this year. I am okay with that and I will watch every game and cheer very loudly like I always do. But if we are to lose in the Quarters and my choice is to lose with young future NHL guys or very good 28 - 32 year old European veterans then I think I'd rather lose with young guns and build some goodwill with them for future tournaments. That core of very good Euro's is not getting younger or better (with all due respect).

I'm skeptical that Zacha would come - always drama. I know, I'm alone on this too.
I'm not sure if Plekanec would come.. no contract (might be done in NHL with 998 games which would break my heart) and I don't think his last World Championships was a good experience. I hope I'm wrong, I love Tomas and would love to see him on a line with some young guys. In Toronto, Marner is doing great with him for instance.
Voracek would come for sure... or at least I hope he would. Gudas would be more important. I figure Polak is also done in the NHL after this season and I wonder if he'd come as it might help him land a good contract in Europe somewhere. Maybe I'm overthinking it.lol

Jordan I definitely want there... he seems to play great for National Team.

Neuvirth will play on Sunday... probably look very good. Once Philly gets eliminated (I know nothing is guaranteed but Pittsburgh was better last night in the loss and they've been dominant) he will either a: not get an invite which is insane to me or b: they will say he is hurt despite the fact he is playing which is also insane to me. I don't see a c: where he comes and represents which is what I want to happen. Him, Francouz and Rittich would be my top 3 based on what we have. Let Francouz play the weaker nations (which we'll have tough games against) and toss our Neuvirth against stronger teams.

Krejci is our best centre IMO... I wonder if he'd come if they got eliminated? Palat is our best LW IMO - same thing? I do think Pastrnak would be there next morning if it was possible.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
My thinking is that I don't think we are winning this year. I am okay with that and I will watch every game and cheer very loudly like I always do. But if we are to lose in the Quarters and my choice is to lose with young future NHL guys or very good 28 - 32 year old European veterans then I think I'd rather lose with young guns and build some goodwill with them for future tournaments. That core of very good Euro's is not getting younger or better (with all due respect).

Neuvirth will play on Sunday... probably look very good. Once Philly gets eliminated (I know nothing is guaranteed but Pittsburgh was better last night in the loss and they've been dominant) he will either a: not get an invite which is insane to me or b: they will say he is hurt despite the fact he is playing which is also insane to me. I don't see a c: where he comes and represents which is what I want to happen. Him, Francouz and Rittich would be my top 3 based on what we have. Let Francouz play the weaker nations (which we'll have tough games against) and toss our Neuvirth against stronger teams.

Krejci is our best centre IMO... I wonder if he'd come if they got eliminated? Palat is our best LW IMO - same thing? I do think Pastrnak would be there next morning if it was possible.

Agreed. It'd be much more fun to watch these young promising players battle in Copenhagen. I expect the Czechs to be the positive surprise in Group A. :thumbu: As soon as Philly and Toronto get eliminated and players like Voracek, Plekanec, Neuvirth, Polak & Gudas join the team, it doesn't look as bleak as one might think. Pastrnak though is unlikely, as he will go far in this years race for the SC.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016

I'm skeptical that Zacha would come - always drama. I know, I'm alone on this too.
I'm not sure if Plekanec would come.. no contract (might be done in NHL with 998 games which would break my heart) and I don't think his last World Championships was a good experience. I hope I'm wrong, I love Tomas and would love to see him on a line with some young guys. In Toronto, Marner is doing great with him for instance.
Voracek would come for sure... or at least I hope he would. Gudas would be more important. I figure Polak is also done in the NHL after this season and I wonder if he'd come as it might help him land a good contract in Europe somewhere. Maybe I'm overthinking it.lol

Jordan I definitely want there... he seems to play great for National Team.

I understand your thinking. We will see how it end. In ideal world we win, young guys will get experience and continue winning in future and good Euro's finally get medal:).
I agree that with Zacha the situation isn't clear. I just name him with other possible players.
I'm not sure about Plekanec also. But one thing is sure, if the coach want him, he will come, he always come.
And I don't know what Polák situation is. It will be mostly on him, probably.
I also agree that Pittsburgh likely win. I think the B situation is what likely happen with Neuvirth. Voráček and Gudas would hopefully come.
The question with Krejčí is his health, like always. Pastrňák would probably come. Not sure about Palát.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Also have to mention that we already win Carlson (Czech) hockey games.:thumbu: And we leading both Euro Hockey Tour and Euro Hockey Challenge too.

Reactions: Vidy and Jablkon

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I understand your thinking. We will see how it end. In ideal world we win, young guys will get experience and continue winning in future and good Euro's finally get medal:).
I agree that with Zacha the situation isn't clear. I just name him with other possible players.
I'm not sure about Plekanec also. But one thing is sure, if the coach want him, he will come, he always come.
And I don't know what Polák situation is. It will be mostly on him, probably.
I also agree that Pittsburgh likely win. I think the B situation is what likely happen with Neuvirth. Voráček and Gudas would hopefully come.
The question with Krejčí is his health, like always. Pastrňák would probably come. Not sure about Palát.

I wish I knew this existed during the Olympics because I felt our Good Euro's were medal favourites... in that case I was thrilled to death we had Francouz in net and really liked our D and forwards. In fact, I agreed about 98% with the team that was selected. A gold wouldn't have surprised me there to be honest. Real shame

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
I wish I knew this existed during the Olympics because I felt our Good Euro's were medal favourites... in that case I was thrilled to death we had Francouz in net and really liked our D and forwards. In fact, I agreed about 98% with the team that was selected. A gold wouldn't have surprised me there to be honest. Real shame
We definitely could beat Russia in the SF. It was shame, I really like the atmosphere around team. I still remember how we lock them for whole two minutes in their zone, if we score then, it could be different. We were good there.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
New Jersey is out. Pavel Zacha free to go. We will see, contract is okay and there was no serious injury in season.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Does Zacha even make the team better? I mean, sure, he plays in the NHL, but so far his career has been dissapointing. He should be invited for sure, but I think he will be a no-show if he comes.

Reactions: Vidy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Does Zacha even make the team better? I mean, sure, he plays in the NHL, but so far his career has been dissapointing. He should be invited for sure, but I think he will be a no-show if he comes.

I find Zacha to always be disapointing... he underwhelmed at U18 and U20 in the season he was meant to be the star. He's had lots of opportunity in NJ to takeover and dominate as well. I didn't even like his Sarnia totals.

Having said that.. he's a centre and he's big... Czech hockey needs him to get good. It's funny though as there was a group that I thought would be great - Frk, Jaskin, Zacha, Vrana and Pastrnak (I know they are not all the same age) and I thought they'd all be great.. so far only Pastrnak has really established himself. Mind you, I thought Vaclav Kerabacek was going to be great too and he was in the ECHL this season (along with Pavel Jenys).

I do hope he gets invite and I hope he has a good tournament.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Line-up at Russia. Rittich in net, playing sooner then previous plan was. Jordán will wear C.
Rittich
Hrbas - Pyrochta, Stránský - Hanzl - Zadina
Jordán - Pavlík, Kubalík - Tomášek - Šťastný
Moravčík - Sklenička, Kousal - Chlapík - Kaut
Klok - Pláněk, Chytil - Musil - Orsava

Reactions: Jablkon

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I find Zacha to always be disapointing... he underwhelmed at U18 and U20 in the season he was meant to be the star. He's had lots of opportunity in NJ to takeover and dominate as well. I didn't even like his Sarnia totals.

Having said that.. he's a centre and he's big... Czech hockey needs him to get good. It's funny though as there was a group that I thought would be great - Frk, Jaskin, Zacha, Vrana and Pastrnak (I know they are not all the same age) and I thought they'd all be great.. so far only Pastrnak has really established himself. Mind you, I thought Vaclav Kerabacek was going to be great too and he was in the ECHL this season (along with Pavel Jenys).

I do hope he gets invite and I hope he has a good tournament.
Yeh, thats what I think as well. It could also help him to put things togehter. Question is if he is able to produce points in small tourney. But competition could drives him. He rightfully doesnt have anything certain. Karabacek is mistery for me too. But I dont want to be negative today so I stop here:).

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
Line-up at Russia. Rittich in net, playing sooner then previous plan was. Jordán will wear C.
Rittich
Hrbas - Pyrochta, Stránský - Hanzl - Zadina
Jordán - Pavlík, Kubalík - Tomášek - Šťastný
Moravčík - Sklenička, Kousal - Chlapík - Kaut
Klok - Pláněk, Chytil - Musil - Orsava
Another reason to be excited for this match. Great line up and great test. Hope russians are comming with older or experienced roster. This is best preWHC in long time:)

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
How has my boy wonder Filip Chytil been? Haven't been able to catch the games, unfortunately.
So far its so so.Jet-leg can play some role.today we playing against Russia so it will be more decisive. Based on what I saw so far I think he wont make team but that could change if he keeps in lineup for next preWHC tourney and improves.

Last edited:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
So far its so so.Jet-leg can play some role.today we playing against Russia so it will be more decisive. Based on what I saw so far I think he wont make team but if that could change if he keeps in lineup for next preWHC tourney and improves.
I agree with this. He showed some elite skills though and definitely didn't dissapoint. The next 4 games will be decisive, like was said.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Also agreed with others. Big, playing centre, he could bring some power to our lineup. I hope for it at least.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Odd coincidence... I got into a discussion about how non NHL goalies don't do well at these tournaments and if you have an NHL goalie, you should always pick them. In the last 7 years, there was one exception - Miko Koskinen who beat out two good NHL goalies and did amazing. I didn't know much about him until then but he was clearly the exception to the rule (to me). I'm watching Leafs-Bruins last night and his name pops up on the screen! Sounds like the Oilers are trying to sign him. Oilers are my NHL team (none of the teams I cheer for win often enough). Maybe he'll be the answer to name the last guy that came from Europe and made the NHL instantly and did well (previous answers were Bobrovsky and Lundqvist and both those were a while ago now). The Oilers fans on social media were quite skeptical of a 30 year old KHL goalie coming in and making a difference and started referring to AHL goalies that could do a better job. It's clearly a very different view between the Euro's and Canadian's... since I'm both it's even more interesting. Would've been nice to have heard Francouz's name in those talks but does give the idea how hard it is to go from KHL All Star to NHL starter. Good on article at Cult of Hockey about it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Masin is heating up in AHL playoffs. I do think he'll be a good NHLer in the next 2 years. Tough to crack the Tampa lineup as they are a: deep and b: lots of big contracts. Hopefully he takes Sustr's spot. Hopefully Sustr finds a job somewhere else in the NHL (50-50). Hronek ended the season with a 4 point game and is doing very well too.

Speaking of prospects... Chlapik has 2 penalties today. I don't think he's making the team.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Game with Russia. Rittich with perfect debut, he was fabulous. Chytil with first NT goal. We are still 100% in preparation, 7 games so far. And we finally beat Russia. This is nice team to watch.

Czech Republic vs Russia 2-1
Goals: 9. Chytil (Zadina), 21. Stránský (Tomášek) - 50. Kruchinin (Mamin, Bereglazov)

Line-up
Rittich – Pyrochta, Hrbas, F. Pavlík, Jordán (C), D. Sklenička, Moravčík, Pláněk, Klok – Zadina, R. Hanzl (A), Stránský – Šťastný, Tomášek, D. Kubalík (A) – M. Kaut, Chlapík, R. Kousal – Orsava, Musil, Chytil

Last edited:

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
All 3 games had the goalie as the player of the game. Nice start for Rittich. I thought he would've been shakey while adjusting back to the bigger ice. The Zadina Stransky 2 on 1 at the end was insane... 3 passes and they didn't score. It was perfectly executed and, usually, the third pass guarantees a goal. Happy to see Chytil score the goal. I think he plays an understated style of game where he isn't that flashy but does a lot of things right. Kaut was pretty quiet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad