WC: 2018 - Team Czech Republic

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
czech should try a foreigner coach.
I'm really proud of the fact we don't do that. I know it is a little more common in soccer but I think I'd have very mixed feelings if the Czechs won with a non Czech coach. It's a 100 year program and I think we have the necessary talent in our own pool. We just got behind in development and still need to improve our Junior programs as I feel that a good 18 year old has few options in the Czech Republic. They can dominate the U20 league, play small minutes in the Extraliga or go to Canada and play in the CHL (or USHL in America). I'd love it if we could find a way to keep 90% of our top talent in the Czech Republic until they are 20 (unless they can directly enter the NHL as 18 or 19 year olds). It'd make everything stronger.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
When teams don't win it is always easy to start with the coach. I think Jandac has done a fine job. Essentially, if you look at the World Juniors from 2005 (our last medal) to 2015 we produced almost no high end talent (Voracek, Pastrnak, no Top 50 D, Mrazek was looking to be Vezina calibre but currently is not). This is the core of who Jandac has to work with. I think he did a real good job. It was a shame we didn't medal at the Olymics as I thought we had a real good chance there (but our road had Russia and Canada twice) and last year's World's was close to our best possible team at the time and a medal would've been good there too. Still, wish him well. Think he did a good job and please don't hire Hadamczak back to the national team. I'm not happy he is with the U18's either... I feel our Junior programs are starting to do quite well (Silver at U18 a few years ago, medals in 3 of last 4 Hlinka's, some really good players being drafted, World Junior A challenge medal, final 4 of U20 this year for first time since 2005) and I'd prefer we stick with the younger coaches there.

Cervenka - Faksa - Zadina ... boy would I love to see that line. Has a little bit of everything.
I did read an article about how Francouz wants to go to the NHL. I do think he'll sign and have no problem getting a contract. But it'll be a 1 year - two way contract and he'll start in the AHL. It is very hard to get into the NHL, even harder to stay there as the KHL is filled with goalies who couldn't quite make it in the NHL. Obviously, I'd like Francouz to become a starter in the NHL next year but I just don't see it, he has a very hard road ahead of him to do that. Mazanec is a good example.
I agree. Jandač did a good job, he didn't have it easy. I hope he finish with medal this tournament, so people will appreciate him more. Zábranský now seems to be first option, but I don't know if he would accept. I also agree better times are before us, there good young players and also coaches (Zábranský, Straka, Varaďa, Pešán). We just need to bring up some more top tier defensemen.

And Francouz will have hard road ahead of him, but I think he can play NHL next year, because I don't believe there are 62 better goaltenders in NHL. And he also have better starting position then Mazanec, he is after all best KHL goalie of last two seasons, statistically speaking.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I'm really proud of the fact we don't do that. I know it is a little more common in soccer but I think I'd have very mixed feelings if the Czechs won with a non Czech coach. It's a 100 year program and I think we have the necessary talent in our own pool. We just got behind in development and still need to improve our Junior programs as I feel that a good 18 year old has few options in the Czech Republic. They can dominate the U20 league, play small minutes in the Extraliga or go to Canada and play in the CHL (or USHL in America). I'd love it if we could find a way to keep 90% of our top talent in the Czech Republic until they are 20 (unless they can directly enter the NHL as 18 or 19 year olds). It'd make everything stronger.
Well its not exactly smth to be proud of. Matej Buckna teached czechs to play hockey in the end of the day. This pride pushes us to situation where our coaches learn for one year how to behave, what to do etc. Junior program is mess and it could and should be sorted out several years ago. The new system is again just experiment with unknown and unpredictable results and again was realesed to media in very nontransparent way. How typical. The way to find it is not that hard as it is presented here.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
When teams don't win it is always easy to start with the coach. I think Jandac has done a fine job. Essentially, if you look at the World Juniors from 2005 (our last medal) to 2015 we produced almost no high end talent (Voracek, Pastrnak, no Top 50 D, Mrazek was looking to be Vezina calibre but currently is not). This is the core of who Jandac has to work with. I think he did a real good job. It was a shame we didn't medal at the Olymics as I thought we had a real good chance there (but our road had Russia and Canada twice) and last year's World's was close to our best possible team at the time and a medal would've been good there too. Still, wish him well. Think he did a good job and please don't hire Hadamczak back to the national team. I'm not happy he is with the U18's either... I feel our Junior programs are starting to do quite well (Silver at U18 a few years ago, medals in 3 of last 4 Hlinka's, some really good players being drafted, World Junior A challenge medal, final 4 of U20 this year for first time since 2005) and I'd prefer we stick with the younger coaches there.

Cervenka - Faksa - Zadina ... boy would I love to see that line. Has a little bit of everything.
I did read an article about how Francouz wants to go to the NHL. I do think he'll sign and have no problem getting a contract. But it'll be a 1 year - two way contract and he'll start in the AHL. It is very hard to get into the NHL, even harder to stay there as the KHL is filled with goalies who couldn't quite make it in the NHL. Obviously, I'd like Francouz to become a starter in the NHL next year but I just don't see it, he has a very hard road ahead of him to do that. Mazanec is a good example.
As to Jandac. He does tremendous job to find players and built and make structure of the team. Based on these skills, he can be NHL general manager. But he is incredibly alibistic and shy to leave his shadow. I remember reading interview with him where he said that one of the toughest challenges for him was promotion to Extraleague with Budejovice. That itself surprised me but I completely understand to it in context of his behaviour in last two years. There is always something nonperfect and he has done everything and maxim of it, but its tough and nothing more can be done, sorry, I am not aware of any mistakes..... He said he understands to media and suddenly pointing on all their “bad” questions from past recently. I also dont remember any coach going to KHL and reminding everybody how tough it is there and how easily they can fire him.

Based on his evaluation he is the world best coach. I am just afraid that he could just coach Budejovice with Prospal etc. or team Canada in World cup 2016. We have a weak defence this year so I know what will be the explanation + plus in case he really put youngs there he will say smth like” see, I put youngs and its not enough, what else I could do”?

He was looking for excuses even before olympics. He named all the problems of A team and youth. And when moderator very very politely asked him if he knows what to do with it he said he doesnt. So dont f***ing work for association when you dont know and you are not willing to find solution.

I understand he works with weakest generation but everybody sees his weaknesses which have been following him from club scene. We beat this OG team Canada twice this season? and surprisingly we lost in playoffs.

I mean I wish him best of luck but its utterly frustrating to watch this guy eliminating his weaknesses by pretending they dont exist. What a difference to Pesan who didnt look for any excuses and made best result in 12 years. We will never be strong as Canada on paper. But if this was his plan, then he should work hard on it in those two years and prepared complete restructuralization of the program.

I am not saying we necessary need foreign coach but we can not continue like that.its not a school imo.

As to Francouz, if he is able to adapt to NHL and NA culture I think he is capable to be backup from the beginning. Iam not expert but he looks better than Rittich imo.

Last edited:

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
There is something special in czech hockey mentality. And if anytime czech players had success in some tournament it was with coach who was pro hockey player in past (Mr. Bukac was the only exception). You know Hlinka, Augusta, Ruzicka ... So for me best options are ex players like Varada, Straka etc. ...

Pesan should stay at U20 team. It's a shame he won't continue. He was born to be coach of players of this new hockey generation (he knows modern trends and what is needed)

Vidy

Apr 14, 2017
Czechia
So for me best options are ex players like Varada, Straka etc. ...

I also think Varaďa should be next NT coach. He is vigorous and players respect him, for me great leader. Straka and Zábranský are good choices maybe but they have lot of club engagements. They wouldnt work 100% for NT.

Reactions: Maluk11 and Jablkon

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Another complication. Michal Birner is injured (knee) and won't be playing WHC. Which make the team even younger. It's shame, he should have been lock in line with Řepík.

Last edited:

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Another complication. Michal Birner is injured (knee) and won't be playing WHC. Which make the team even younger. It's shame, he should have been lock in line with Řepík.
The only consistent and productive forward from older players who are there is Repik and maybe Cervenka ( if he will prepare chances for someone else ). So I think team can easily live without Birner.

Reactions: Vidy

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
The only consistent and productive forward from older players who are there is Repik and maybe Cervenka ( if he will prepare chances for someone else ). So I think team can easily live without Birner.
He is reliable PK guy and have connection with Řepík. Also experience from World Cup. We can live without him, young guys will get more space, but it will be better if by choice and not forced by injury. Interesting thing, without him there is 38 players currently invited and only Červenka older then 30.

On different note. We will see Jaškin -Chytil - Zadina line tommorow with Finland, can be interesting.

Line-up for tommorow
Francouz
Jordán - Pyrochta, Kubalík - Horák - Nestrašil
Sklenička - Pláněk, Jaškin - Chytil - Zadina
Pavelka - Pavlík, Červenka - Chlapík - Kaut
Moravčík - Galvas, Štastný - Tomášek - Musil

Last edited:
Reactions: Jablkon and Vidy

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
He is reliable PK guy and have connection with Řepík. Also experience from World Cup. We can live without him, young guys will get more space, but it will be better if by choice and not forced by injury. Interesting thing, without him there is 38 players currently invited and only Červenka older then 30.

On different note. We will see Jaškin -Chytil - Zadina line tommorow with Finland, can be interesting.

Line-up for tommorow (don't find goalies)

so lovely lines ... finally some coooool EHT tournaments :laugh: usualy it's so uninteresting hockey with boring players

Reactions: Wooren

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
[QUOTE="

Line-up for tommorow
Francouz
Moravčík - Galvas, Štastný - Tomášek - Musil[/QUOTE]

I think we all agree that Czechs aren't winning this year (Canada is ridiculous, Sweden is very good and if Washington keeps losing Russia will be outstanding too) but it is time to move on from the current group of guys. I really enjoyed the group and cheered very loudly for them but it's time to move on. Keep 2 or 3 of them as leaders/veterans and lose with the young guys and maybe be surprised. A couple of years ago the States sent a very inexperienced team and they beat a very good Czech team in quarters. I won't be able to watch but that Jaskin/Chytil/Zadina line and Cervenka/Chlapik/Kaut lines are what I want to see more of win or lose. I do think they needed more of a veteran with Chytil and Zadina then Jaskin.

Also, does anyone know how to watch U18's? TSN is showing the other pool but not the Czech pool. Hokejka? CT24 online?

Last, Pytlik is not a starter.... I know he is young but I feel like he always scores.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
[QUOTE="

Line-up for tommorow
Francouz

I think we all agree that Czechs aren't winning this year (Canada is ridiculous, Sweden is very good and if Washington keeps losing Russia will be outstanding too) but it is time to move on from the current group of guys. I really enjoyed the group and cheered very loudly for them but it's time to move on. Keep 2 or 3 of them as leaders/veterans and lose with the young guys and maybe be surprised. A couple of years ago the States sent a very inexperienced team and they beat a very good Czech team in quarters. I won't be able to watch but that Jaskin/Chytil/Zadina line and Cervenka/Chlapik/Kaut lines are what I want to see more of win or lose. I do think they needed more of a veteran with Chytil and Zadina then Jaskin.

Also, does anyone know how to watch U18's? TSN is showing the other pool but not the Czech pool. Hokejka? CT24 online?

Last, Pytlik is not a starter.... I know he is young but I feel like he always scores.[/QUOTE]

Man, I'm so much looking forward to this young Czech team! Czech Republic vs. the Sbornaja will be my only match from a spectator's perspective in Royal Arena, and I'm already happy with the choice. Exciting things ahead. :popcorn:

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Anaheim is out, Ondřej Kaše free to go. We will se how he decide. Also mean Šimek is unavailable.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Anaheim is out, Ondřej Kaše free to go. We will se how he decide. Also mean Šimek is unavailable.
The some thing is infuriating... just sitting around doing nothing.

Hope Kase comes... Jaskin is RFA as well and he is there. I do think Ondrej could help a lot. I am hoping Voracek and Gudas can make it once Pittsburgh is done beating them up. Neuvirth played last night. I was surprised Mrazek was not the backup.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague

Last, Pytlik is not a starter.... I know he is young but I feel like he always scores.

Off topic, but anyway - scratching Pytlik makes no sense. I don't how good Czech3 league is, but I suspect it's about the U20 league level, so Pytlik going PPG there (including lots of goals) is better than most of the nominated forwards have done.

Ondrej Kase would be a nice addition. Fun, NHL and most importantly young player? Sign me up.

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
The some thing is infuriating... just sitting around doing nothing.

Hope Kase comes... Jaskin is RFA as well and he is there. I do think Ondrej could help a lot. I am hoping Voracek and Gudas can make it once Pittsburgh is done beating them up. Neuvirth played last night. I was surprised Mrazek was not the backup.
I hope too. But Kaše has breakout season, which mean he could get nice contract in off-season, so it's question if he want to risk injury or something. Voráček and Gudas no question, it will be great if they come. Goalies likely won't, Mrázek is RFA and I don't see Neuvirth passing medical.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I hope too. But Kaše has breakout season, which mean he could get nice contract in off-season, so it's question if he want to risk injury or something. Voráček and Gudas no question, it will be great if they come. Goalies likely won't, Mrázek is RFA and I don't see Neuvirth passing medical.

Kase is 22 and an NHL regular now... he was drafted 205th and is a regular. That is amazing to me. I hope his brother does the same thing.

I know Mrazek won't come. Neuvirth is interesting because, you're right, he won't pass physical, but there he is on my TV playing the 2nd and 3rd period. I'm not sure if Jandac would want him or if he'd get the invite. I feel like the Czech perception is that a good KHL or Extraliga year is better than an average NHL one which I don't think is true. Almost always, the gold medal winner at the World's has an NHL goalie. When the Olympics went pro in Nagano to the last ones... not one team got a medal of any colour without an NHL goalie. Technically, in 98, Finland had a non NHL goalie play some games... so 1 goalie in 20 years of Olympic hockey won a bronze a medal. The rest were all NHL goalies. Same with us... our last World Championship had Vokoun in net. You simply need an NHL goalie to win these tournaments. I am sure that few non NHL goalies have won a medal for their country at the World's but I doubt very few in the last 10 years.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Same with us... our last World Championship had Vokoun in net. You simply need an NHL goalie to win these tournaments.
You are oversimplifying things. Sure you need a good goalie but Petri Vehanen or Mikko Koskinen, for example, were amazing for Finns on numerous occasions. As Fasth was for Sweden.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
You are oversimplifying things. Sure you need a good goalie but Petri Vehanen or Mikko Koskinen, for example, were amazing for Finns on numerous occasions. As Fasth was for Sweden.

You might be right. I said the Olympics with NHLers had none and that is true. I said the World Championships I am sure that few non NHL goalies have won a medal for their country at the World's but I doubt very few in the last 10 years.. Looking at your examples:

Fasth was an NHL goalie for 3 years. Also, he was firmly on the bench when Sweden won Gold last year backing up Henrik Lundqvist (an NHL goalie). He was probably the starter when they won silver in 2010? That was 8 years ago.

Petri Vehanen is 40 years old and it looks like his last success was also 2010 which was 8 years ago.

Koskinen looks to have had an awesome tournament in 2015 and took the job from 2 NHL goalies. So that is 1 very good example.

Here is a list of Silver Medalists:
Elite Prospects - Award - World Championship Silver Medal

Here is a list of Gold Medalists:
Elite Prospects - Award - World Championship Gold Medal

Here is a list of Bronze medalists:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2018-team-czech-republic.2456025/page-5

I see a wide margin on NHL goalies on that list. If I changed my statement to the last 7 years would that be more accurate? What if I said last 5? I'm sure there are more examples but how many of those non NHL goalies on those lists were the starters? Definition of 'few' would be 3... are there 4 starters with Gold or silver medals?

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Game with Finland. Zadina and Jaškin with first goals in NT. Kaut with another assist, 7 points in 5 games so far.

Czech Republic vs Finland 3-1
Goals: 10. Zadina (Sklenička), 50. Jaškin (Kaut, Sklenička), 60. Nestrašil - 12. Suomela (Näkyvä)

Line-up
Francouz (Furch) – Pyrochta, Jordán (A), Pláněk, D. Sklenička, F. Pavlík, T. Pavelka, J. Galvas, Moravčík – Nestrašil, Horák (A), D. Kubalík – Zadina, Chytil, Jaškin – M. Kaut, Chlapík, Červenka (C) – Musil, Tomášek, Šťastný

Maluk11

Feb 27, 2016
Who stood out for the Czechs?
Jaškin and Francouz for me. Francouz played very well, let in bad goal, but save many others. And Jaškin was very strong today, his presence in front of net was noticeable, also score a goal. Has some bad penalty though.

Reactions: Wooren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad