Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
I just want more Stars content so if working for the team allows more access and information then awesome even if it is just puff pieces. If I want critical thoughts and articles I'll look to Shapiro.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
What would you guys be willing to add to Spezza for Vancouver to take him on? I know he has a NTC but dumping his cap could do wonders for you to be able to get a 2nd line via UFA.

Can't see either owner helping each other with there apparent hatred for one another

As for what id pay, probably a pick that's not our first and something else like a prospect. We still have around 15M in cap room with Spezza so it's not the end of the world. He should have a better season with a new coach, but who knows

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
What would you guys be willing to add to Spezza for Vancouver to take him on? I know he has a NTC but dumping his cap could do wonders for you to be able to get a 2nd line via UFA.
Unless Tavares shows interest in signing here , not much . I think they will free up enough space losing hamhuis , rousell , lehtonen and maybe buying out hanzal that we won’t be too desperate . I would rather us keep as many picks and prospects as we can and build the team from within .

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Can't see either owner helping each other with there apparent hatred for one another

As for what id pay, probably a pick that's not our first and something else like a prospect. We still have around 15M in cap room with Spezza so it's not the end of the world. He should have a better season with a new coach, but who knows
Yeah the hatred between the owners makes any deal not likely for sure. But if you were looking to just move a pick I'd be open to a 2nd or 3rd for sure. Adding 1 year of Spezza would at least avoid the 5 year deal Bozak is lined up to get from Benning.
Unless Tavares shows interest in signing here , not much . I think they will free up enough space losing hamhuis , rousell , lehtonen and maybe buying out hanzal that we won’t be too desperate . I would rather us keep as many picks and prospects as we can and build the team from within .
That's fair as well, in all honesty a new coach maybe is all you really needed. Now that Bishop is there, the goaltending got fixed that you hadn't had in years past. But of course with Hitchcock, there was no scoring. Regardless you need a 2nd line badly and moving Spezza would allow a move at say Stasny. JT to Dallas would scare the shit out of me though.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Yeah the hatred between the owners makes any deal not likely for sure. But if you were looking to just move a pick I'd be open to a 2nd or 3rd for sure. Adding 1 year of Spezza would at least avoid the 5 year deal Bozak is lined up to get from Benning.

That's fair as well, in all honesty a new coach maybe is all you really needed. Now that Bishop is there, the goaltending got fixed that you hadn't had in years past. But of course with Hitchcock, there was no scoring. Regardless you need a 2nd line badly and moving Spezza would allow a move at say Stasny. JT to Dallas would scare the **** out of me though.
Ya they do need to improve the second line , but they have talent they just need to spread it out more . Hitch played benn seguin radulov together every game . When they were winning mid season , he had those guys split up I think there biggest concern is going to be finding a goalie again . bishop is a solid goalie but he is likely going to be injured regularly so we need to find another starting goalie somehow without giving them a huge contract .

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Ya they do need to improve the second line , but they have talent they just need to spread it out more . Hitch played benn seguin radulov together every game . When they were winning mid season , he had those guys split up I think there biggest concern is going to be finding a goalie again . bishop is a solid goalie but he is likely going to be injured regularly so we need to find another starting goalie somehow without giving them a huge contract .
Any interest in Nilson? Not a great option if he has to carry long stretches of games, but he could be a cheap option. We have Demko looking to make a push for the backup role next year so he could be on his way out regardless. Spezza + 2nd for Nilson?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Any interest in Nilson? Not a great option if he has to carry long stretches of games, but he could be a cheap option. We have Demko looking to make a push for the backup role next year so he could be on his way out regardless. Spezza + 2nd for Nilson?
Not what we’re looking for but if there was no one else available I would do a deal but you probably wouldn’t like it .

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Not what we’re looking for but if there was no one else available I would do a deal but you probably wouldn’t like it .
Maybe Steve Mason from Winnipeg then? They look like they could probably move him for a mid rounder just to alleviate some more cap space. It's going to be hard to get a goalie without a big contract- and that's the last thing you guys need after finally shedding cap in the crease. Nilson is a cheap option that you would get by also moving Spezza out to be able to sign some guys for the 2nd line- say Stastny and JVR for example.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Maybe Steve Mason from Winnipeg then? They look like they could probably move him for a mid rounder just to alleviate some more cap space. It's going to be hard to get a goalie without a big contract- and that's the last thing you guys need after finally shedding cap in the crease. Nilson is a cheap option that you would get by also moving Spezza out to be able to sign some guys for the 2nd line- say Stastny and JVR for example.
I would like us to sign either Hutton , Bernier or Dell over trading for mason . we can prob get Bernier fairly cheap. Him and bishop would be a good duo .

Reactions: Ragernschnapple

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
I would like us to sign either Hutton , Bernier or Dell over trading for mason . we can prob get Bernier fairly cheap. Him and bishop would be a good duo .
Dell already re-signed in San Jose, but I get your drift. Bernier could work for sure or Mrazek even, it all depends on money I suppose.

Reactions: Bfantz

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

Hanzal won't be bought out. If he even ever gets healthy, it won't be until close to the season. You can't buyout an injured player, and the window will only be opened early in the summer. Also .... LTIR is a much better option. When he's played, he's been fine. If it's a career ending injury, you can work around that money next year. It might be difficult after Seguin's (hopeful) extension, but you can address that next summer. You can move LTIR players, but the cost is typically high.

Last edited:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

The Athletic recently speculated that Hutton would be open to a backup position, and he'd want a spot were he has a chance to play. They also suggested that Bernier may no longer be in the plans for the Avs. They just signed a European goalie.

Reactions: Bfantz

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Spooner could be a fairly cheap 2C option. I'd also like to move both Ritchie and Shore at the draft.

I'm a big Ryan Spooner fan but I think he'd be much more serviceable on the wing in Dallas. The beauty of it is, I would be comfortable playing him on either side and if need be he can play down the middle.

Reactions: Kcb12345

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'm a big Ryan Spooner fan but I think he'd be much more serviceable on the wing in Dallas. The beauty of it is, I would be comfortable playing him on either side and if need be he can play down the middle.

That's my thought as well. He could be insurance for injuries and/or Spezza not at least being serviceable. I appreciated you mentioning in a different thread Spezza's shooting percentage. I didn't realize it was a career low so that's obviously a decent sign for a bounce back.

Plus, if Montgomery wasn't blowing smoke about "letting the horses run" in the offensive zone, It would be interesting to see if that could boost Spezza's production.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
That's my thought as well. He could be insurance for injuries and/or Spezza not at least being serviceable. I appreciated you mentioning in a different thread Spezza's shooting percentage. I didn't realize it was a career low so that's obviously a decent sign for a bounce back.

Plus, if Montgomery wasn't blowing smoke about "letting the horses run" in the offensive zone, It would be interesting to see if that could boost Spezza's production.

He's better than Shore and probably cheaper to acquire and pay than JVR or someone like that. At the very least you know he can handle a top six role and would bring at least decent offensive punch.

Anyone have a guess as to what Dallas would have to trade to get him?

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I checked out the NY Forum. A few of them were talking about using Spooner and the 9th to get up to 5th. I saw a Spooner and their lower 1st to get up in the middle of the 1st round. 2nd and a prospect seemed popular as well.

In the draft scenario, they're basically valuing him as a 2nd rounder. I don't think that's too far fetched. I wonder if they'd do it for a 3rd and a roster player like Shore or Ritchie, but I think that's doubtful.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I didn't pay as close attention to contracts as I have in the past. Just noticed Dickinson, Elie, and Heatherington were also RFA's in addition to Janmark, Johns, Shore, and Smith. Dickinson and Elie were virtual locks for the roster likely if they aren't traded, but Heatherington will also require waivers next year. My guess is he's your 7th next D. I was curious what Dallas' roster looks like right now. KHL free agency has been going for a while. It's not exactly saying one way or another whether Nichushkin is coming back, but I thought I'd go ahead and include him rather than debating lines just listed positions. Hanzal is obviously a huge question mark because of injury.

CENTER: Dickinson, Faksa, Hanzal, Seguin, Spezza
LW: Benn, Elie, Janmark, Shore, Smith
RW: Nichushkin, Pitlick, Radulov, Ritchie

LD: Heatherington, Heiskanen, Lindell, Methot
RD: Honka, Johns, Klingberg

G: Bishop

Other Potential Rookies: Gurianov, Hintz

That's a pretty interesting mix. It's pretty clear that RW should be priority number 1. I know most fans are chomping at the bit to eject Spezza, but I think that should be the 2nd priority. Worst case scenario (Spezza sucks and Hanzal can't play), they have enough centers to hold down the fort. Again not saying they shouldn't, just saying that spot isn't as weak as RW. LW is kind of dependent on Hanzal. If Dickinson can slot in on wing, I'd be OK with Benn, Janmark, Dickinson, and Elie. Given Hanzal's volatility, might be wise to find andother LW as maybe the 3rd priority at forward. Probably shouldn't touch the D. Backup goalie ... they've been pretty dreadful signing and trading for goalies. It's going to be key to make the right decision there. Glad to hear Lehtonen isn't likely to come back.

It's pretty clear though, Ritchie should go. I don't think you can have Nichushkin and Ritchie on the team together. They're both risks, and it's not like you can trust either one will be a 2nd line winger. They've got to add a winger that could actually play a legit Top 9 role at the very least.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Could anyone else see Dallas landing a LW instead of RW to make a 2nd line anchored by Radulov and the new guy? Janmark looked good at a RW. He's better than Eaves, Nichushkin or Ritchie who have played with Benn and Seguin in the past. I think he could actually look pretty good next to them.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I Think Dallas should sign the most talented winger they can regardless of RW/LW. I know it's a highly discussed topic, but I think Kovalchuck is my top pick.

When he played on the NHL he was an animal, like Benn on steroids. He's lost a step or two, but can still be a huge contributor. He also still has times where he takes over a game and we need more players like that.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Jim Nill - We're not that far off

On the down side, you could say he has had five years to turn the team around, has made the playoffs just twice in that span and is hiring his third coach this summer. You can criticize his drafts, question his development and say he hasn't always made the right choices in trades or free agency.
That's a fair assessment in a results-based industry, and Nill fully understands that

Sounds like Heika is describing a bad GM. Jim Nill is not a bad GM, is he?

You could also say that the last five years have led Nill to a place where he has his assets in place, he better understands the job of GM, and he has a sense of what is needed to win in today's NHL.

Well uh, let's try to hurry up on that one, Jim.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino