Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
One of his assets when hired was supposedly 20 years experience as a near GM in a stable organization. We paid for nearly immediate results, and his early acquisitions of Sequin and Spezza we thought he was a genius. Maybe he set his initial bar too high, and of course, if we look at those 20 years in Detroit, it probably wasn't all bunny rabbits and rainbows there, either.

But success needs to come soon, and I hope it does, or we are more like a gerbil on a treadmill.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Could anyone else see Dallas landing a LW instead of RW to make a 2nd line anchored by Radulov and the new guy? Janmark looked good at a RW. He's better than Eaves, Nichushkin or Ritchie who have played with Benn and Seguin in the past. I think he could actually look pretty good next to them.
With rads pitlick Ritchie and probably guryanov on rw , nuke is all but gaurenteed to be playing lw along with benn , janmark , shore and elie . Our options are either sign a rw and keep guryanov in Texas another year or don’t sign anyone and get guryanov playing in the Nhl. There is definately potential for a big trade here though so it could all change quick.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Do we know if the "Benn is better at LW than center" edict came from Nill or Ruff? The point is, if the best player we can get is LW (MaxPac from MTL maybe) there is a possibility Benn could move back and make our top centers Seguin and Benn.

I guess it will depend on Monty!

Reactions: AveryStar4Eva

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Do we know if the "Benn is better at LW than center" edict came from Nill or Ruff? The point is, if the best player we can get is LW (MaxPac from MTL maybe) there is a possibility Benn could move back and make our top centers Seguin and Benn.

That would be a big change having seguin and benn center while putting the roster together . That would also mean spezza is gone or 4th line center . I would rather them go after someone like Galchenyuk who is in there prime and can play 2nd Line center for years to come . Move radulov down with him and nuke and shelter guryanov with benn and seguin .Leave the janmark , faksa , pitlick line intact .

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
With rads pitlick Ritchie and probably guryanov on rw , nuke is all but gaurenteed to be playing lw along with benn , janmark , shore and elie . Our options are either sign a rw and keep guryanov in Texas another year or don’t sign anyone and get guryanov playing in the Nhl. There is definately potential for a big trade here though so it could all change quick.

You're assuming Ritchie will be on the roster, and I think the majority of people doubt that happens. Nill put a ton of faith in him last year to put it all together, and he fell flat on his face despite getting decent opportunities compared to most. How he stayed on the PP so long was shocking to say the least. Shore is the same boat, but he is the guy I expect to stick around unless he's part of a package for an upgrade.

Gurianov I would say is firmly behind Hintz for next up. They probably will be the next 2, but it would be easy to see either one in the AHL given Nill's history. Dickinson is a great example. That guy probably should have been full time NHL last year, but Dallas goes out and signs multiple forwards. Nill rarely leaves a wide open door for prospects. He does force them to push their way in, and he typically always favors patience.

Like I said on the last page, I absolutely agree both have a shot, but at least prior to any moves, it seems much more reasonable that your RW's are Nichushkin, Pitlick, Radulov, and then either a new guy via trade or free agency with Ritchie being a distant 3rd option. I will say, if they don't make any moves at RW, that would open the door for Gurianov. I don't doubt that he could beat out Ritchie. The only way he stays up though is in a Top 6 rolw with PP time. Otherwise, Nill very likely predictably says he's better suited playing top minutes and PP in the AHL.

At LW, Hanzal's availability plays a major role, but Dickinson very likely would be one of your LWs. Obviously he slides to center if and when Hanzal can't go at any point in the season ... unless he takes on a big role on say Faksa's line and the call up Hintz.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
That would be a big change having seguin and benn center while putting the roster together . That would also mean spezza is gone or 4th line center . I would rather them go after someone like Galchenyuk who is in there prime and can play 2nd Line center for years to come . Move radulov down with him and nuke and shelter guryanov with benn and seguin .Leave the janmark , faksa , pitlick line intact .

Janmark spent limited time with Faksa from what I remember. He mostly played on what would have been considered the 2nd scoring line. His offensive game took another step forward. I think he's better suited being a defensively responsible scorer on a Top 6 line. Faksa may be a 2nd line center one day, but his offense is still developing. He's also too good in a shutdown role to not have him there. I think Dickinson or Elie end up with Faksa and Pitlick, most likely Dickinson. He's that same kind of all around forward that could possibly develop some chemistry with Faksa and see them scoring at a healthy clip for a Top 9 line.

Ultimately, if someone was going to shuffle around, I really do think a Janmark partnership with Benn-Seguin could yield some great results. I'm starting to look at him like a guy who be such a great fit with Seguin just like Lehtinen was with Modano.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

That came from Nill. Right after taking the job, he said he wanted to move Benn back to wing.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's coming off a rough a year that he wasn't as dominant. I don't think it would be a good idea to give him more responsibility at center. If they decide they want a center, just go track one down via trade.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Was at Texas Stars playoff game last night in Cedar Park and the younger guys played well. Hintz put in a rebound off of a Gurianov shot on a 2 on 1 early in the game and Dickinson scored on a tip/deflected shot in the 2nd. They all played well in the 2nd keeping the puck in the offensive zone and getting opportunities.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
They did blow a 4-2 lead in the 3rd but Sheldon Dries won it in overtime. Bayreuther and Heatherington also played tough games for the D-men even though the Roadrunners came back to take it to overtime. Good experience for our younger guys, especially with a win.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Was at Texas Stars playoff game last night in Cedar Park and the younger guys played well. Hintz put in a rebound off of a Gurianov shot on a 2 on 1 early in the game and Dickinson scored on a tip/deflected shot in the 2nd. They all played well in the 2nd keeping the puck in the offensive zone and getting opportunities.

I'm really excited to see Hintz play. Sounds like a really good player all around. How's his skating? Is he above average in speed?

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
He's coming off a rough a year that he wasn't as dominant. I don't think it would be a good idea to give him more responsibility at center. If they decide they want a center, just go track one down via trade.

If you’re referring to Benn, 36 goals (second best of his career) and 79 points (third best in his career) is not what I would call a rough year.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It was just too bad a chunk of that production was after elimination. There was an impression of lackluster play earlier. He did have some goals in the losing streak, but didn't lift the team.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Correct. That's what I was talking about. The majority of the season, he wasn't playing up to the standards we're use to seeing him. It was a pretty common topic for much of the year. To me, he seemed like a passenger to Seguin and Radulov's excellent play. Production is important, but Benn's not making over $9 million just for his production. I know some of the speculation was playing through injuries the last year or two. Benn, at his new contract, should be impacting the game every night, and that wasn't happening.

Now, I wasn't knocking him when I said he should stay at wing. My point was just that I think it's a good thing Nill has mentioned previously they prefer him at wing. Can he play center? Yeah. Should he play center? I would say no. Given the fact he's either been less than 100% because of injuries or motivation or whatever it might be, let's not increase the pressure on him by throwing him in the middle of the ice.

Benn played center because Nieuwendyk could add one, and to be fair that probably had more to do with the NHL owning the team. They were a budget team. Nill has big hits and big misses, but I'd have more confidence in him to add a center if that's what he needs than throwing a guy at center who is better on the wing.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree with everything above. Of course, "every single game" is a bit tough standard, even for Crosby, but I get the general idea.

Agree he should stay at left wing. Was sort of putting it out there in a response to a thread on the trades and UFA board, where there was some discussion about acquiring Max Pac from MTL. While he would be a nice goal scoring addition (despite his slump to 17 goals last year, but hey Rads had 18 and jumped up when removed from a bad MTL team) it would require moving a top LW - Janmark or Benn - somewhere else in the top six. Acquiring a center (ROR?) or right wing would be a better fit, but if Nill finds Max to be the best value, maybe he would consider moving pieces around, rather than pay exorbitant prices for the more desired RW if that is how it develops.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
If you’re referring to Benn, 36 goals (second best of his career) and 79 points (third best in his career) is not what I would call a rough year.
True but Benn was average until the last month of the season. We need him to be consistent all year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah my only point was Dallas doesn't have the luxury of Benn running hot and cold. Obviously a down game is going to happen, but he had significant stretches of average or below average play. I still think he'll be fine, and I was merely expressing the downside of adding even more responsibility to him potentially. If Seguin re-signs, it's very likely that he and Benn will take up 25% of the cap. Vegas gave revenue a big bump in it's first year, and that's a great sign. Climbing $5 million a year though is probably unrealistic. After big jumps, the cap typically remains fairly flat for a season or more. Thankfully, in 4 or 5 years, they will be taking up even less space, but it's still going to be a big percentage.

Basically ... I'm not panicking about Benn by any means, and the fact that he at least produced well while not meeting the level of expectation his past from the past has created is something to be optimistic about. I just think Benn may need to be managed a little more closely.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I can't find a playoff thread on here so .....

Is this the 2016 Dallas Stars or the 2018 Nashville Predators? I remember how brutal it was to get blown out in the Game 7. Not a Preds fan, but I was hoping this would be a competitive game. Still some time.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
I can't find a playoff thread on here so .....

Is this the 2016 Dallas Stars or the 2018 Nashville Predators? I remember how brutal it was to get blown out in the Game 7. Not a Preds fan, but I was hoping this would be a competitive game. Still some time.

It’s been a strange series. Neither team can win at home.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Rinne doesn't seem very strong upstairs. Get one on him and he folds. His play against Colorado and Winnipeg is Lehtonen-like. He seems so spastic in the crease...if his team doesn't clear his rebounds he gets into trouble.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Rinne doesn't seem very strong upstairs. Get one on him and he folds. His play against Colorado and Winnipeg is Lehtonen-like. He seems so spastic in the crease...if his team doesn't clear his rebounds he gets into trouble.

Yeah I've gotten an unfortunate Lehtonen vibe in the playoffs with him, Stanley Cup finals last year, and several times this season.

It's wild, Lehtonen can't even handle the pressure in the regular season. At least Rinne has that going for him.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
While he did look a little bit shakey.That was dumb to pull him last night after 2 goals .

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
While he did look a little bit shakey.That was dumb to pull him last night after 2 goals .

I disagree. Rinne already showed in this series he melts down when they get a couple by him especially the quick and questionable ones like last night. It was the right move. As Patrick O'Sullivan said on Twitter, a couple bad goals like that deflates the team horribly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->