Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
IMHO, they need to bring at least one of them up full time. We need forwards if Roussel, Spezza, etc. are gone, and we don't need to ruin our forward prospects like we did our D prospects the last few years......Elevating one of them will at least give the others hope and something to shoot for.

Most observers think its time for Nill to trust youth, rather than bring in another high priced UFA whose best years were for another team.

Reactions: Kcb12345

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Agree. Our best LW in order are Benn, Janmark, Rosssell (probably gone) and Shore. Need the top two in some combo on the top two lines, IMHO. Work the young ones in on an energy line. By mid season, maybe Hintz could supplant Shore, and Elie or Smith replace Rooster. Not to start.
Disagree , hintz has more talent in one finger than rousell , and janmark is a 3rd line winger who has probably reached his ceiling . You gotta get your top prospects playing with your best players and spread out your best players rather than stack the first line like hitch did all year. Look at Pittsburg , they always give there young guys a shot with Crosby right away . They set there guys up for success and guess what they’ve had.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
I wouldn't be the biggest fan of signing Kovalchuk but it all depends on the term and money. If it's a two year deal, maybe.

Apparently Jeff Skinner is apparently available in Carolina. I'd be more open to that. He is a UFA after this year so I wouldn't give up a lot to get him though.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Skinner would be OK if the price was right. When he is hot he is RED HOT, but then disappears for long stretches.

Kovy was a beast in his prime, but he's way past that. I'd spend that money elsewhere.

Reactions: Dynamite Time

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Kovy still looks like a beast to me. If we give him two years we'd have two dangerous scoring lines and two great checking lines. Let's do it.

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Kovy - Spezza - Gurianov
Janmark - Faksa - Nuke
Dickinson - Hanzal/Shore - Pitlick
Elie - Smith

Two young Russians and two older star Russians. How you properly develop young players by putting them on a team with players they can learn from and develop their game around.

Last edited:

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Kovy still looks like a beast to me. If we give him two years we'd have two dangerous scoring lines and two great checking lines. Let's do it.

Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Kovy - Spezza - Gurianov
Janmark - Faksa - Nuke
Dickinson - Hanzal/Shore - Pitlick
Elie - Smith

Two young Russians and two older star Russians. How you properly develop young players by putting them on a team with players they can learn from and develop their game around.

I'm not sure how I feel about Kovy, but if it's a short term deal then maybe. As for lines assuming all we did was pick up Kovy, I'd roll

Benn - Seguin - Nuke
Kovy - Spezza - Radulov
Janmark - Faksa - Pitlick/Gury
Ellie - Smith - Shore

Don't like the 4th line, and I also don't think Hanzal will be able to play again, but who knows

I'd like to see Hintz have a shot, as I think he'll have the better career out of Gury and Dickinson.

Honestly I'd rather see us try and sign Tavares and get rid of Spezza somehow and then fill the other spots with younger guys. I'm more worried about our 2C then wingers

Benn - Seguin - Nuke
Hintz - JT - Radulov
Janmark - Faksa - Pitlick/Gury
Meat 1 - meat 2 - meat 3

This is more like Pittsburgh with two top centers ( yes I know one is Crosby and the other is Malkin) and two top wingers ( Kessel and some what Hornqvist). We have a solid #3C and another good winger in Janmark. Would just have to hope someone like Hintz, Nuke, Gury, Dickinson etc can become close to Guentzel and we'd be set

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Disagree , hintz has more talent in one finger than rousell , and janmark is a 3rd line winger who has probably reached his ceiling . You gotta get your top prospects playing with your best players and spread out your best players rather than stack the first line like hitch did all year. Look at Pittsburg , they always give there young guys a shot with Crosby right away . They set there guys up for success and guess what they’ve had.
Janmark is a 2nd line guy. He did what he did this season going through centers Hanzal and Spezza as well as playing Hitchcocks style; as well as missing last season due to his disease. Not arguing with you, my take.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Bring ROR in... keep seeing it. Spezza is going to be here next season, and I’m ok with that. If our new coach pulls up and lets some young guys play Spezza is a great guy to have. A complete 180 of his style of play as well as age hit him last season. I’m not saying he’ll hit 60+ points or anything but I don’t have trust in Hanzal and have seen Spezza work with youth.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I wouldn't mind Kovalchuk for 1-2 years for reasonable money. We need depth scoring and he can provide it. Plus we don't have to give up assets for him.

Svechnikov would be nice depth scoring aswell. :sarcasm:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'd love for us to sign Kovalchuk to a 1-2 year deal. Ideal depth scoring but, I feel like hes for sure going to the Rangers.

Reactions: Bfantz

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Lottery tonight. All I'm hoping for is that the Stars don't drop. No way Peverely can have a repeat. Right? Right?

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Lottery tonight. All I'm hoping for is that the Stars don't drop. No way Peverely can have a repeat. Right? Right?
That would be some shit luck .There’s a lot of good players between pick 13 and about pick 35 or so I’m not too worried if they drop a spot . If Veleno is gone at 13 and they can get something decent to drop down to the 20’s I wouldn’t mind that either .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
We were spoiled by last years pick so we feel like we have a chance at winning this one. We truly don't, but one can dream.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I mean it was unlikely so meh . We can't get a top 3 pick every year . Last year was wierd anyway with 3 teams moving up.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
In all honestly, although the Stars did not win the lottery, it worked out quite well. The Stars didn't move down, plus the top 3 are all going to the East.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I knew odds were against and didn’t expect a top 3. An early double digit draft selection though still could do good; Can we find a guy. Maybe we’ll wait till 5th round.

Last edited:

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg

Not sure I like this news.
Many people worry that working for the team will lead to only positive reporting, but the Stars don't want that. They want an honest conversation with the fans that looks at the good and the bad. They want analysis that leads to constructive criticism.

I am skeptical, but we'll see.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, there is honest and there is brutally honest, which is probably off the table. But really, the Stars were advertisers in the DMN, so there were some practical limits there anyway already in place. Besides, you don't need to do a hatchet job to effectively report on a team. If strong words are needed, I guess they come from the Athletic now.......or here. Based on some articles I have seen right after discussion points here, I think they all draw from other sources, including Heika.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Never a fan of writers being employed by the teams they are writing on, but if this means Heika can continue writing on the Stars then so be it. I do agree, this is limiting the brutal honesty of the journalists writing on the Stars. I also think Shapiro has jumped on the opportunity and became the voice of the fans criticisms on the team, especially when he was making a name for himself, so hopefully he continues in that respect. But 2 out of the 3 major writers on the Stars are owned by the Stars, not a good sign of the Dallas media coverage of the Stars in my opinion.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
What would you guys be willing to add to Spezza for Vancouver to take him on? I know he has a NTC but dumping his cap could do wonders for you to be able to get a 2nd line via UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad