Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
With Hitch retiring, do we get Jason Spezza back as our 2C for next year? Maybe break in Dickenson by splitting time?

Actually, as to the suggestion of Hintz replacing Antoine on line 3, Shapiro seems to think that would be a good starting point for JD next year. Extra center, defensively responsible, and at least a goal scorer at lower levels, think he can get there as a secondary scorer at NHL level.
Unless the problem was Spezza trying to skate with Hitch sitting on his shoulders, I don't see how a new coach is going to help Spezza's dead legs.

And Dickinson has a long long way to go before he is considered a 2nd line center replacement.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
I don't think anyone is suggesting make Smith a first liner for life. People are wondering why it wasn't ever tried. Even for a game. Ritchie wasn't getting it done, so Hitch's answer was to keep playing Ritchie far more minutes than he deserved. Why not try Smith up there? The worst thing that happens is Smith plays a bunch of minutes with some of the league's best offensive players and fails to register any points, which is what we got from Ritchie.
It was tried for a game and he scored a nice goal .

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Anyone watching Jets vs Wild?

Nill has alot of work ahead of him to even come close to competing in a division with the Jets and Preds. Jets are just on another level from the Stars and will be for a while.

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan
Players get tired, and they get mentally tired of Hitch, since he never lets up. Also, while I applaud getting Tyler to play 2 way hockey, I really think he could have reduced his and Benn's use on PK to conserve some energy, limiting their shifts to perhaps the end of the pk where they could start transition hockey.

Shapiro makes it sound like everyone but the top 4 were on a tight leash, and punished for mistakes, a la Ruff.

For whatever reason, the drifted from aggressive forechecking to dump and chase as the season wore on.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. The forcheck is a defense posture when you don't have the puck. The dump-in is an offensive posture when you have the puck. The two are mutually exclusive as far as I'm concerned. Yes to aggressive forcheck and carrying the puck in on the rush with speed and numbers

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
[wishfulthinking] Alright, here's my enthusiastic and ideal Stars off-season:

Trade:

- 13th overall pick 2018 + 1st round pick 2019 + Devin Shore + Denis Guyrianov to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly.
- Brett Ritchie for a 3rd round pick to whoever.
- Spezza + 4th round pick to Arizona for future considerations.
- Hanzal + Nicklas Hansson to Vancouver for future considerations.

Spezza only has one year left. A bottom feeder with lots of cap space could definitely take a gamble on him and his experience.
Hanzal might be a bit tougher to deal, but he's actually fairly useful when healthy, which is just rarely. If we could manage to trade him - awesome.

Sign:
- Evander Kane (5 years x 6.5M) - doubt he signs for less, otherwise I like Hornqvist as well, who should come cheaper.
- Calvin de Haan (5 years x 4.5M) - big fan, but he'll likely sign for more, then again, this is all wishful thinking.
- Patrick Maroon (2 years x 3.5M)
- The cheapest of Hutton, Bernier or Hammond (3 years x 3M)

Add from within:
Honka, Heiskanen, Hintz.

Let go:
Lehtonen, Roussel, Hamhuis, Pateryn.

Try to re-sign:
Wouldn't mind Roussel coming back if he somehow asks less than 2.5M, which I doubt.

Roster
Jamie Benn (9.5) - Tyler Seguin (5.75) - Alexander Radulov (6.25)
Evander Kane (6.5) - Ryan O'Reilly (7.5) - Mattias Janmark (0.700)
Patrick Maroon (3.5) - Radek Faksa (2.2) - Roope Hintz (0.800)
Gemel Smith (0.650) - Jason Dickenson (0.894) - Tyler Pitlick (1.0)

Extra: Elie (0.728), McKenzie (0.700)

John Klingberg (4.25) - Esa Lindell (2.2)
Calvin de Haan (4.5) - Miro Heiskanen (0.925)
Stephen Johns (0.725) - Marc Methot (4.9)

Extra: Honka (0.863)

Ben Bishop (4.61)
Hutton/Bernier/Hammond (3.0)

Buy out costs:
Niemi (1.5M)

23 team roster cap hit: 74.37
2018-2019 Upper limit: 75.00

The following year we safe 6.4M with the Niemi buyout coming to an end and with Methot leaving. Give roughly 4 of those to Seguin and use magic to keep core intact. I think it requires an aggressive off-season once more if we are serious about contending and actually get something out of the Seguin/Benn/Klingberg trio. We can't be replacing players from within or add half assed players. Another year like this could spell the end of Benn, not to mention Seguin not re-signing.
[/wishfulthinking]

Last edited:

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Trade:

- 13th overall pick 2018 + 1st round pick 2019 + Devin Shore + Denis Guyrianov to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly.

Spezza only has one year left. A bottom feeder with lots of cap space could definitely take a gamble on him and his experience.
Hanzal might be a bit tougher to deal, but he's actually fairly useful when healthy, which is just rarely. If we could manage to trade him - awesome.

Sign:
- Evander Kane (5 years x 6.5M) - doubt he signs for less, otherwise I like Hornqvist as well, who should come cheaper.
- Calvin de Haan (5 years x 4.5M) - big fan, but he'll likely sign for more, then again, this is all wishful thinking.

Add from within:
Honka, Heiskanen, Hintz.

Let go:

Try to re-sign:
Wouldn't mind Roussel coming back if he somehow asks less than 2.5M, which I doubt.

Roster

Ben Bishop (4.61)

Buy out costs:
Niemi (1.5M)

The following year we safe 6.4M with the Niemi buyout coming to an end and with Methot leaving. Give roughly 4 of those to Seguin and use magic to keep core intact.
[/wishfulthinking]

Bunch of things to break down here, but let's start with the obvious:

1. Hornqvist resigned with the Pens already

2. Kane is definitely going to be resigned by Sam Jose (unless he just doesnt wanna be there)

3. Spezza says no to the Arizona deal.

4. No team is gonna give up a 3rd round pick for 4th liner Ritchie.

5. Absolutely no to bringing Roussel back unless it's for $1 million or less. He is done here, and we are gonna all miss him but it's the truth.

6. Not a fan of the de Haan signing but at that price I guess it's not awful

7. Not scratching Honka for an entire season again

8. Would love to acquire O'Reilly, but honestly have no clue what it would cost. 3 firsts (basically) is a hefty price to pay but who knows that may be the cost.

9. Patrick Maroon signing isn't bad. Just kinda meh.

10. No to the Hanzal trade. Would rather keep him (unless he is guaranteed to not come back). I'm definitely in the minority here, but I feel if he can be healthy then he is a big part of this team. That's a big IF. I get it, chances are he wont be healthy.

11. Honestly not a fan of giving up so much of our future. We are weak in terms of prospects as it is outside of Robertson and Heiskanen and eventually we have to address that and add young players with potential to actually become NHLers. Just my opinion though. I'm not a huge fan of trading top 15 1st round picks in a deep draft, but it definitely holds more value that's for sure.

Reactions: WhatWhat

northstars

May 11, 2016
Saskatchewan

Trade:

Sign:

Add from within:
Honka, Heiskanen, Hintz.

Let go:

Try to re-sign:

Roster

Ben Bishop (4.61)

Buy out costs:
Niemi (1.5M)

The following year we safe 6.4M with the Niemi buyout coming to an end and with Methot leaving. Give roughly 4 of those to Seguin and use magic to keep core intact. I think it requires an aggressive off-season once more if we are serious about contending and actually get something out of the Seguin/Benn/Klingberg trio. We can't be replacing players from within or add half assed players. Another year like this could spell the end of Benn, not to mention Seguin not re-signing.
[/wishfulthinking]

I like the idea of acquiring O'Reilly if they can pull that off but you forgot about Val Nichushkin. I think something like this may be more plausible by filling more of the needs from within and at a much cheaper cost.

Summary
Hintz would be a huge upgrade over Roussel offensively and give the third line more scoring punch. The lines defensive responsibility would continue.
Nichushkin would add some size, speed and defensive responsibility to first line and he wouldn't look entirely out of place offensively.
O'Reilly centering the second line and Radulov moving down from first line would provide excellent secondary scoring making it harder to matchup against the Stars on the road.
The fourth line would contain speed, size and tenacity with some scoring prowess. This line would be a good energy line and forchecking line. Gemel Smith and Jason Dickenson positions could be swapped if you wanted more size and scoring on the wing.
What I like about the lineup below is its still relatively young with the exception of Methot. I wouldn't consider Bishop over the hill just yet.
All the wingers on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines would be capable of 15+ goals. Obviously some of them much more.
Down the middle this team would be extremely strong, skilled and hard to play against.
This team would have lots of good options for both the powerplay and penalty kill.

Roster
Jamie Benn - Tyler Seguin - Val Nichushkin
Mattias Janmark - Ryan O'Reilly - Alexander Radulov
Roope Hintz - Radek Faksa - Tyler Pitlick
Gemel Smith - Jason Dickenson - Remi Elie

John Klingberg - Esa Lindell
Stephen Johns - Miro Heiskanen
Honka - Marc Methot
Heatherington

Ben Bishop
Hutton , Bernier or Hammond

Last edited:

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Getting O'Reilly should be the Stars priority number 1 this offseason. That SHOULD put us over the top. Time for Nill to go all in and get a star like ROR. Pay up

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Agree on ROR and adding a back up like Bernier

I think Nill will let some younger guys fight for a few spots in the top 9

Add some speed and skill and get a coach like Nelson. Let's go Nill

________

Feb 6, 2006

Honka is the best example, as he came straight from Finland and has 191 games of AHL experience under his belt. He should be ripe enough to be an NHL regular, but the coaching staff chose to play Pateryn and Hamhuis. Similarly, the previous coaching staff chose to play Jordie Benn over Patrik Nemeth and Jamie Oleksiak. Nemeth, who was picked up on waivers by Colorado at the start of the season, is now a regular on the Avalanche and led the team in plus-minus at plus-27. Since joining the Penguins in a mid-season trade, Oleksiak has 14 points and is plus-13 in 47 games.

That seems like a waste of assets for the Stars.

“I think every team needs depth, and we’re no different,” said Stars owner Tom Gaglardi. “But I believe we have kids here who are ready and need to play. I think the answers are in our system or on our team.”

Maybe they are finally realizing you need to play the younger players and have them develop. Even if you don't keep them, at least give them a legit chance and you can trade them for someone else to improve your team. By not playing them you have to sell low on the players or waive them and get nothing in return. Which they should've been developing players from day one when Nill took over, they never were going to be a consistent top team until they do that.

Reactions: Kcb12345

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Young players need to be playing (at some level) to develop them. I've never understood sitting them in the press box/8 minutes a game instead of giving them opportunities in the AHL.

My one hope for the next coach is someone willing the give these young guys a fair chance. There is no reason for Pateryn to be taking minutes from Honka.

I'm also on the ROR train. I've no clue what it would cost. We might have to send Faksa/Honka the other way.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Doesnt hurt to try him at this level. Cant just give up on him without giving him a chance.
Actually you can, especially when said player has shown nothing in the 3yrs since his draft. The only reason people such as yourself are suggestion to get him into the NHL is because he was a 1st round pick. It has nothing to do with his actual level of play.
I get that it is not his fault he was taken a few rounds early, but you don't take a player who shows nothing and move them to the NHL just cause. With That Logic, McKenzie should be an NHL regular, exempt he can at least produce in the AHL to support that opinion

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Anyone watching Jets vs Wild?

Nill has alot of work ahead of him to even come close to competing in a division with the Jets and Preds. Jets are just on another level from the Stars and will be for a while.

Yeah, and next year there’s a good chance Chicago will leap frog us like everyone else in the division. A team with 4 players in the top 40 in scoring shouldn’t be playing golf much less making a habit of it.

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta
We will need a back-up goalie for this upcoming season.

What's board consensus? Do we go with someone like Mike McKenna(if re-signed), give Landon Bow a chance, or do we go after someone like Cam Ward for a season? I think if Ward wants a cheap deal for a year we go after him. I think he'd be a solid back-up for Bishop for a year.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
The way there playing , Guryanov and hintz deserve a shot in dallas next year . you see plenty of other teams like Boston , Pittsburg , Philly who give there prospects a shot before they have done anything spectacular in the ahl . Usually they endup doing better in the nhl with better players . i think spezza is likely gone because of his cap hit but I wouldn’t mind if they gave him another shot . There was too much of a drop in his stats to say it was decline . He still has a ton of value and is a huge part of the team and they need a veteran Second liner anyways , So unless there is a good trade market for him , we will prob get the best out him by keeping him .I’ve changed my mind a couple times and probably will again but I would like the roster to look something like this come September . Unless by some miracle we get a top 3 pick .

Hintz seguin rads
Benn spezza gury
Janmark faksa nuke
Caamano shore pitlick

Lindell klingberg
Heiskanen honka
Methot johns
Heather

Bishop
Point

Head coach : Quinn or Keefe

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Agree. Our best LW in order are Benn, Janmark, Rosssell (probably gone) and Shore. Need the top two in some combo on the top two lines, IMHO. Work the young ones in on an energy line. By mid season, maybe Hintz could supplant Shore, and Elie or Smith replace Rooster. Not to start.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I would love for all that youth and speed to be in the lineup, but I know it won't happen. As others have mentioned though, Hintz should probably slot in next to Faksa and Nichushkin or Gurianov whichever will be there. Extremely unlikely all of these kids crack the lineup next year, but I'd love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad