Speculation: 2018 Root for the Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Congratulations! We now have the worst ****ing team in the entire ****ing league for the 3rd ****ing time in 5 ****ing years! And what a reward! An extra 5.5 ****ing percentage points chance at Rasmus ****ing Dahlin! Totally ****ing worth it!

Now watch Buffalo not get Dahlin at the draft lmao

Reactions: Fearnot

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Well if you don't get excited for development of one of the 5 players that actually matter in the current lineup, maybe you should take a break from hockey and discussing it.

FWIW, watching Reinhart is one of the only reasons I have to watch the Sabres at all these days. Seems like he is really finding his way right now.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I want to lose but at the same time I don’t want to. I feel like finishing 29-31 then losing the lotto will be soul crushing considering any player aside from Dahlin is going to need development time.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I want to lose but at the same time I don’t want to. I feel like finishing 29-31 then losing the lotto will be soul crushing considering any player aside from Dahlin is going to need development time.
Svech may not need much by the sound of it. That still means top 2-3pick though.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
We really haven’t had that many high draft picks yet. Only Reinhart and Eichel. I guess you could count Nylander and Mittelstadt but they weren’t really prime prospects at the draft.

Tampa: Drouin 3#, Connolly 6#, Hedman 2#, Stamkos 1#

Pittsburgh five straight drafts:
Whitney 5#, Fleury 1#, Malkin 2#, Crosby 1#, Staal 2#

Chicago four straight: Barker 3#, Skille 7#, Toews 3#, Kane 1#

Penguins translated to last five drafts: E Lindholm, Ekblad, Eichel, Matthews, Patrick

Chicago last four: Draisatl, Provorov, Dubouis, Hischier

There’s more to it than drafting high, but we really haven’t acquired that much top end talent so far compared to some successfull teams.
The Pittsburgh model isn’t possible with the way the draft works but... Imagine if we had patience and added Matthews before accelerating?

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
I know it's been beaten to death but the new lotto rules suck. Is there really a team that should get #1 OA instead of us or the Yotes? Sens went to the conference finals last year, yeesh.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I know it's been beaten to death but the new lotto rules suck. Is there really a team that should get #1 OA instead of us or the Yotes? Sens went to the conference finals last year, yeesh.
Being incompetent at your job doesnt make you deserving of the highest pay rise even if you are on the lower end of the payscale.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We really haven’t had that many high draft picks yet. Only Reinhart and Eichel. I guess you could count Nylander and Mittelstadt but they weren’t really prime prospects at the draft.

Penguins translated to last five drafts: E Lindholm, Ekblad, Eichel, Matthews, Patrick

There’s more to it than drafting high, but we really haven’t acquired that much top end talent so far compared to some successfull teams.
The Pittsburgh model isn’t possible with the way the draft works but... Imagine if we had patience and added Matthews before accelerating?
Risto, Reinhart, Eichel, Nylander, Mittelstadt, 2018 1st. Probably 3 top 5 picks and 3 more top 10 picks. Anyone complaining we havent drafted enough high end talent after this year (regardless of where exactly we pick) will be laughed at by the rest of the league.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Risto, Reinhart, Eichel, Nylander, Mittelstadt, 2018 1st. Probably 3 top 5 picks and 3 more top 10 picks. Anyone complaining we havent drafted enough high end talent after this year (regardless of where exactly we pick) will be laughed at by the rest of the league.

Don’t forget we also drafted Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Zadorov all in the top half of the first round.

Those are in addition to the SIX top ten selections you mentioned, three of which were/will be top 5.

Anyone saying we haven’t really had that many high picks to build a team, is crazy.

Reactions: CacOBG

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I'm good with anyone in the: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Boqvist, Dobson, Wahlstrom, group. The one guy that I am not a fan of is Hughes. Yes, I love the skating and vision. However, his shot and instincts show major flaws. Just not a fan of his.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I'm good with anyone in the: Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Bouchard, Boqvist, Dobson, Wahlstrom, group. The one guy that I am not a fan of is Hughes. Yes, I love the skating and vision. However, his shot and instincts show major flaws. Just not a fan of his.
Im startong to get a bad feeling about Boqvist too. He doesnt seem to have done anything in the SHL sobfar in terms of offense which is supposed to be his strong part of the game.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Arizona with a clean win over Vancouver. Bottom 4 is as wide open as it can possibly be right now. Vancouver with most point but also with the worst current shape...end of the season should be fun to follow at least.

Arizona with only 3 games left versus opponents out of playoffs or playoff race.
Buffalo with 5.
Ottawa with 6.
Vancouver with 4.

Wont be any shocked if Vancouver manage to finish last...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Im startong to get a bad feeling about Boqvist too. He doesnt seem to have done anything in the SHL sobfar in terms of offense which is supposed to be his strong part of the game.

Perhaps take a moment to go look at someone like Erik Karlsson in his draft year, which featured fewer SHL games than Boqvist and then compare their SEL numbers and you may find the reason people draw parallels.

Offense is a very strong part of his game, his shooting is dynamic and his ability to get to open ice with and without the puck is both a strong indication of how well he thinks the game and how good his feet are.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Perhaps take a moment to go look at someone like Erik Karlsson in his draft year, which featured fewer SHL games than Boqvist and then compare their SEL numbers and you may find the reason people draw parallels.

Offense is a very strong part of his game, his shooting is dynamic and his ability to get to open ice with and without the puck is both a strong indication of how well he thinks the game and how good his feet are.
No doubt there is potential there, but so far at SHL level this hasnt converted. 1 assist in 15 games is not something that grants you top5 status in the draft. Someone would have to be really high on his potential to draft hom top5. Think Wahlstrom may be already ahead of him in the consensus order. Possibly some other D like Dobson or Hughes as well.

...and also Vancouver are trash. Unless our players srop trying again we are finishing above them. No Boeser,no party. Baertschi also missing meaning they have no offense at all. 4 games losing strwak with just 3 goals scored in total in these games.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY

As others have said, we've had our chances and likely more to come.

I don't think high end talent is the issue though. Reinhart is coming around, Eichel is Eichel, and Risto is a gamebreaker in the right situations. Mittlestadt looks promising so far.

The issue is that we've unsuccessfully surrounded them with quality depth that confidently and consistently play a fast thinking, fast skating, modern game. In just about every possible position. Hence why I still think tanking is an unnecessary goal, even if it makes this awful season more suffer-able. Obviously potentially getting more elite talent by drafting top 3 is rarely a bad thing (until it comes time to pay them all) but this team needs three more Scandella's way more than it needs another Eichel. We desperately need to hit on some 2nds and 3rds (past present and future), and make some quality hockey moves this summer.

EDIT: If we won the lottery, you don't trade Dahlin... obviously... but if we end up #2 or #3 I think we consider moving down, possibly out of the top 10, for the right deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rowley Birkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad