GDT: 2018 Other Playoff Games Part II

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
I'm gonna be real pissed if Vegas wins the cup and it ends up that we gave them the hardest fight. Without our best forward. With DeMelo and Martin playing a decent chunk of minutes. And with us being so generous to welcome them to the 2nd round by allowing them to blow us the f*** out game 1. Help us Kucherov or Ovechkin. One of you two are our only hopes.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm gonna be real pissed if Vegas wins the cup and it ends up that we gave them the hardest fight. Without our best forward. With DeMelo and Martin playing a decent chunk of minutes. And with us being so generous to welcome them to the 2nd round by allowing them to blow us the **** out game 1. Help us Kucherov or Ovechkin. One of you two are our only hopes.

Don’t count Winnipeg out just yet, but I’m starting to think Vegas will win the Cup. Fleury has adapted and is finally showing why he was drafted 1st overall in the greatest draft in NHL history.

Really, I think we should be relying on Vasilevskiy or Holtby. As long as one of those guys just doesn’t look significantly worse than Fleury, Vegas probably loses. Quick is the only guy who didn’t look significantly worse than Fleury, and his team was actually so much worse than Vegas.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Does anyone in the NHL front office think this might be a joke than an expansion team is 1 win away from a SCF birth? :huh:

I almost wish Vegas wins the cup just to see the reaction. I want the media to ask the GMs and coaches how they got punked by an expansion team.

#TestFleuryforPEDs

Reactions: Led Zappa

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I almost wish Vegas wins the cup just to see the reaction. I want the media to ask the GMs and coaches how they got punked by an expansion team.

#TestFleuryforPEDs

The funny part is, DW might be the one GM off the hook. Schlemko was immediately traded and Carpenter has been decent but nothing special for them, and so far, San Jose is the only team who has looked like they still had a chance to beat Vegas after 4 games.

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
Does anyone in the NHL front office think this might be a joke than an expansion team is 1 win away from a SCF birth? :huh:
I blame GMs more then the system. Glad to see Vegas beating a "real team that we should model ourselves after". For whatever reason it makes me feel a little better about losing lol

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The funny part is, DW might be the one GM off the hook. Schlemko was immediately traded and Carpenter has been decent but nothing special for them, and so far, San Jose is the only team who has looked like they still had a chance to beat Vegas after 4 games.

Until we find out vegas drafts the next gretzky in the 5th round pick they got for him from montreal lol

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I hope someone gets fired if Las Vegas wins the cup this year. Complete non-sense that this has been allowed to happen.

Allowed what to happen? Hope you don't mean the hindsight draft argument; I never understood that one.
The vast majority of posters here laughed at GMGM's draft choices at the time.

I blame GMs more then the system. Glad to see Vegas beating a "real team that we should model ourselves after". For whatever reason it makes me feel a little better about losing lol

First, VGK did their research (hard to fault other teams on that).

Second, some teams had to expose guys they didn't want to loose. To protect that player(s), they had to trade another asset (player, pick) to VGK.

Third, some teams wanted VGK to pick guys specifically (like cap space freedom from guys who will sit out the rest of their contracts on LTIR). VGK was persuaded by acquiring a different asset.

(Sharks did their protection thing by trading away guy/Mueller to another team/NJ so they exposed who they wanted. And IMHO lost one of the guys they signed to expose: Schlemko as the D and Boedker as the F.

Sharks have been pretty good about signing guys to realistic deals. Very small # of buyouts, which will probably increase by one this summer.

And they were set up with zero players with NMCs they had to protect.)

The other thing is, how many of the VGK players, if given the opportunity they had with a new/expanded role and fresh opportunities on their old teams, could have (much less would have) had a career year like they had in Vegas?
And don't discount the synergy of newly formed team coming together and the further catalyst of the tragedy that allowed the team to be the focus of the entire city.

With the looming Seattle expansion potential in two years, I think that many GMs will be carefully looking at expiring contracts and signing new players with that in mind. (Not to mention the potential for the end of the CBA in 2020.)

Given the experience this time around, the GMs may choose to better prepare for the next expansion draft differently.

And if anyone's fired, it may be that the owner had input on the exposed players and is putting the blame on the GM/firee for what they approved.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
First, VGK did their research (hard to fault other teams on that).

Second, some teams had to expose guys they didn't want to loose. To protect that player(s), they had to trade another asset (player, pick) to VGK.

Third, some teams wanted VGK to pick guys specifically (like cap space freedom from guys who will sit out the rest of their contracts on LTIR). VGK was persuaded by acquiring a different asset.

(Sharks did their protection thing by trading away guy/Mueller to another team/NJ so they exposed who they wanted. And IMHO lost one of the guys they signed to expose: Schlemko as the D and Boedker as the F.

Sharks have been pretty good about signing guys to realistic deals. Very small # of buyouts, which will probably increase by one this summer.

And they were set up with zero players with NMCs they had to protect.)

The other thing is, how many of the VGK players, if given the opportunity they had with a new/expanded role and fresh opportunities on their old teams, could have (much less would have) had a career year like they had in Vegas?
And don't discount the synergy of newly formed team coming together and the further catalyst of the tragedy that allowed the team to be the focus of the entire city.

With the looming Seattle expansion potential in two years, I think that many GMs will be carefully looking at expiring contracts and signing new players with that in mind. (Not to mention the potential for the end of the CBA in 2020.)

Given the experience this time around, the GMs may choose to better prepare for the next expansion draft differently.

And if anyone's fired, it may be that the owner had input on the exposed players and is putting the blame on the GM/firee for what they approved.

Perhaps one could say that Vegas is proof of how a management team can do when they have loads of time to build a team.

Think about that. For a year, all they really had to worry about was the entry and expansion drafts.

Back on topic, Tampa scores!

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Really nice pass by Kucherov. For all his issues away from the puck, how many players can realize what is going on and make that pass?

Looks like a missed call on Stamkos. Still, Holtby has to make that save.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
They're very lucky to have made it this far. Ovechkin went Beast Mode for the first two rounds plus two games of this one but there's only so much he and Kuznetsov can do.

It isn’t like they don’t have other top players. Backstrom, Holtby, Oshie, and Carlson could be doing much more. Plus Niskanen and Orlov (-2 in the first).

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
It isn’t like they don’t have other top players. Backstrom, Holtby, Oshie, and Carlson could be doing much more. Plus Niskanen and Orlov (-2 in the first).

Yeah but Tampa just has far more talent. Also Oshie looks cooked, that contract is going to haunt them for a long time.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Tampa Bay has what, 5 forwards better than Oshie? They don’t compare. It’s a miracle that Washington won 2 games and dominated them.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Yeah but Tampa just has far more talent. Also Oshie looks cooked, that contract is going to haunt them for a long time.

That's true.

If both teams are at their best, Tampa is going to win the series.

But that doesn't excuse any player from not playing at his best, and contributing at his best.

Tampa Bay has what, 5 forwards better than Oshie? They don’t compare. It’s a miracle that Washington won 2 games and dominated them.

There is a definite talent gap, but Oshie (and Orlov/Backstrom/Carlson/Holtby) could be playing better. In fact, Tampa isn't playing at its best and Washington made them pay for it in two games. They had opportunities to win games 3 and 4, but they didn't capitalize (pun intended). Heck, if Orlov had been scratched, maybe the Capitals head home up 3-2.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
I like the Caps quite a bit, but if Tampa can kick the shit out of Vegas, I'm okay with them going to the finals.

Overall, I'm still bitter as hell. Will be the first time in 25 years I won't be watching a minute of the damn finals... thanks Bettman.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I really can’t get myself to watch the playoffs anymore. I watched a little of the Winnipeg vs. Nashville Game 7, but I haven’t watched any of the conference finals. I’m just too sad.

I've felt the same way actually. With the Giants, A's, and Warriors, it feels like I'm already in Hockey offseason mode. I wish they would shift the schedule to end the season before June.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It feels like Fleury is in Winnipeg's heads. They are dusting pucks off and aiming them instead of just shoveling things towards the net.

Reactions: Friday

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
well you know those kinds of "trash" goals are what get teams over the hump
adam burish scoring key goals for you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad