GDT: 2018 Other Playoff Games Part II

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Everything just goes the knights way, it's incredible.

It is like I am waiting for them to play against a REAL contender and get their teeth kicked in.

But every contender turns to dust playing them. It's unreal.

In some ways, it could parallel the Sharks's 2016 run. They looked really good until they ran into a truly elite team.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It is like I am waiting for them to play against a REAL contender and get their teeth kicked in.

But every contender turns to dust playing them. It's unreal.

In some ways, it could parallel the Sharks's 2016 run. They looked really good until they ran into a truly elite team.

That Sharks team played three “good, not great” teams. Going into the first round, the analytics had a lot of people thinking Los Angeles was an elite team. The Sharks crushed them and really, none of the Sharks opponents looked like they had any chance in the first 3 playoff series.

I do think Tampa is the one “truly elite” team that remains; Winnipeg probably doesn’t deserve that billing at this point if they can’t even beat Vegas. I do think the Golden Knights will get their teeth kicked in by Tampa but it’s very possible that Vasilevskiy falls apart and Fleury plays great for one more round.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if Vegas fans truly understand how good MAF has been. His playoff performance so far has to be up there with the best performances by any player in the salary cap Era, if not all time.

Reactions: Phu

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I wonder if Vegas fans truly understand how good MAF has been. His playoff performance so far has to be up there with the best performances by any player in the salary cap Era, if not all time.

The guy is known for wilting in the playoffs and lost his job to a rookie. Now all of a sudden he's channeling Tim Thomas. He doesn't even have someone like Chara anchoring the defense. I don't get it.

Reactions: Shark Finn

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Instead of building our team like the Jets, we need to copy Vegas. We should get a player from each team for free.

The thing is, our team actually had a chance to beat Vegas. They shut them out 4-0 in San Jose and beat Vegas in their building. The series was tied at 2 and then we completely blew it in Vegas and San Jose.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
The guy is known for wilting in the playoffs and lost his job to a rookie. Now all of a sudden he's channeling Tim Thomas. He doesn't even have someone like Chara anchoring the defense. I don't get it.
Me either. Vegas plays a super aggressive forecheck because they know they're fast enough to get back, but occasionally they get burned for it and MAF more often times than not, bails them out. I think vegas is a good team, I just can't imagine MAF can keep up playing this good for a substantial amount of time.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Me either. Vegas plays a super aggressive forecheck because they know they're fast enough to get back, but occasionally they get burned for it and MAF more often times than not, bails them out. I think vegas is a good team, I just can't imagine MAF can keep up playing this good for a substantial amount of time.

What do you count as a substantial amount of time?

46 regular season games. 2.24 goals against average and a .927sv%.

2nd among goalies with 40+ games, 4th with 30+ games. 6th with 20+ games. In save%.

1st among goalies with 40+ games. 2nd with 30+ games. 2nd with 20+ games. In goals against.

And then 13 games in the playoffs so far (tonights game is #14). And he is 1st and 1st in both stats for goalies out of round 1.

So he is up to 60 games right now with this kind of play.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011

2nd among goalies with 40+ games, 4th with 30+ games. 6th with 20+ games. In save%.

1st among goalies with 40+ games. 2nd with 30+ games. 2nd with 20+ games. In goals against.

And then 13 games in the playoffs so far (tonights game is #14). And he is 1st and 1st in both stats for goalies out of round 1.

I don't expect year to year performances like that at least. He's never been that good that consistently before.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Were it not for Hellebucyk, this could be a 2-1 game.

By my eye, this series is actually fairly similar to our series against Vegas.

In both series, the team against Vegas has looked good enough to win, and has controlled play for some stretches. But even in that domination, Vegas' goaltending is clearly just at another level.

To elaborate, just watching the game, the expectation is clearly on the Vegas goaltender to make all of the big saves. On every breakaway, the viewer fully expects Fleury to make that big save. On the other hand, on every breakaway, the viewer is fully expecting Hellebuyck (or Jones) to give up the goal. Because Fleury is playing SOOO much better than the other goaltender, the players lose some of their motivation and confidence. It's hard to dominate for 40 minutes and be down 2-1, get that tying goal, and then allow one breakaway...and just know your goaltender is not going to make that big save. It's demoralizing.

People say that these guys are professionals, and that they should be able to play at this level at all times. But in noting that they are professionals, it's important to note that there is such a small difference in ability between all of these teams and players; that is why an AHL player can step in and score a hat trick in the NHL at any given time. And the slightest difference in confidence in your goaltender can make the difference between two teams who are totally even.

Last edited:

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017

Exactly what hoho said. You forget even niemi was a vezina nominee? Sometimes players just play way above their level for a year

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Exactly what hoho said. You forget even niemi was a vezina nominee? Sometimes players just play way above their level for a year

Niemi did it in a shortened season, and absolutely did not carry it over to the playoffs.

Fleury was solid for years in Pittsburgh, had some years of horrendous playoff play, and then followed it up with some pretty good play. I think it is quite fair to call his spectacular playoff play an outlier, but his regular season play is what he is capable of.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Niemi did it in a shortened season, and absolutely did not carry it over to the playoffs.

Fleury was solid for years in Pittsburgh, had some years of horrendous playoff play, and then followed it up with some pretty good play. I think it is quite fair to call his spectacular playoff play an outlier, but his regular season play is what he is capable of.

He is a career .913 SV% goalie. This regular season is not at all what he is usually capable of.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
man. i'm about to jump on the vegas bandwagon. if it's gonna be like this then burn this muthaf***a down!

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Save percentages are higher, and he had some very poor seasons that can be explained by health and mental fitness.

He had an abysmal .909 SV% literally last season (2016-17). I have zero confidence he'll be able to repeat anything close to this.

But I also think Vegas is more than just MAF. He's absolutely the main reason they've made it this far but they've also outplayed every team they've faced so far for long stretches. They really do have eight very good to excellent forwards and three exceptional defensemen. That's more than you can say for a lot of NHL teams, even playoff teams.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Does anyone in the NHL front office think this might be a joke than an expansion team is 1 win away from a SCF birth? :huh:

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
The thing is, our team actually had a chance to beat Vegas. They shut them out 4-0 in San Jose and beat Vegas in their building. The series was tied at 2 and then we completely blew it in Vegas and San Jose.

The critical moment was Game 3. That was a game the Sharks should have won. And they should have gone back to Vegas up 3-1. Maybe they still lose 5 and 6, but I bet they would have found a win one of those and advance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad