GDT: 2018 Other Playoff Games Part II

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
I would not be surprised if Vegas odds-makers are listing Vegas as a cup favorite for next year so they can win some of their money back from this year.

Exactly and I'm betting they're going to have many years to make even more before their fans wake up to how much their run this year was against the odds...

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
McPhee could conceivably trade Karlsson for Karlsson and sign Tavares and then it's really difficult to say that they're not going to be heard from for a long time. They aren't a bad team with a ridiculous string of luck. People need to get past the expansion team mirage.

Why would the Senators agree to that trade? Why would Tavares commit to seven years on an expansion team that had a miraculous first season, sure, but has zero track record? I realize they have tons of cap space but that's far more likely to be spent foolishly than on top talent. Neal and Perron are likely gone and while I wouldn't re-sign them either if I was McPhee they were huge parts of the team's regular season success.

Everyone on the team had a career year this season. They're not going to do that again. It has nothing to do with them being an expansion team which is exactly why I listed those other examples of non-expansion teams who have basically done this same thing then withered away into irrelevance.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why would the Senators agree to that trade? Why would Tavares commit to seven years on an expansion team that had a miraculous first season, sure, but has zero track record? I realize they have tons of cap space but that's far more likely to be spent foolishly than on top talent. Neal and Perron are likely gone and while I wouldn't re-sign them either if I was McPhee they were huge parts of the team's regular season success.

Everyone on the team had a career year this season. They're not going to do that again. It has nothing to do with them being an expansion team which is exactly why I listed those other examples of non-expansion teams who have basically done this same thing then withered away into irrelevance.

Sens would do it to end the Erik Karlsson drama and get something pretty valuable for them moving forward provided he's not going to extend with them. They can't just let Karlsson walk. And Tavares would commit to Vegas simply because the people who work there don't have zero track record. They actually have plenty of track record and are well respected. Neal is a guy Vegas could keep and have a reasonable expectation for him to do what he did last year. Neal didn't have a career year. That was actually pretty normal for him. Perron, on the other hand, I would agree with not trusting him to replicate his performance next year. Even if you buy that everyone on that team had a career year, you have to take into account new roles for them and what about their seasons is unsustainable and what should the reasonable expectation be. If they re-signed William Karlsson and ran with the same top line again, yeah you wouldn't expect 40+ goals out of him but I don't see it unreasonable to think he'd be a 20+ goal scorer next year. And with that, I wouldn't expect any of that top line to not be 60+ point players either. I don't see a reason to believe that Shea Theodore or Colin Miller or Nate Schmidt can't replicate what they did. I suspect Haula will also be around 20 goals next year. Tuch with an expanded role is probably around 20 goals as well. Certain things Vegas did isn't sustainable but they did a lot that is and people shouldn't discount that. Karlsson dropping from 40+ to 20+ isn't going to kill them.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I would not be surprised if Vegas odds-makers are listing Vegas as a cup favorite for next year so they can win some of their money back from this year.

Vegas odds-makers can’t lose money no matter what happens. The betting odds are entirely based on how others bet. So, if Vegas has 500-1 odds to win the Stanley Cup, all that means is that for every $1 that has been bet on Vegas, over $500 have been bet on other teams to win the Stanley Cup. So, in a crazy fairy tale scenario where Vegas wins the Cup, the odds makers still don’t lose money, because they got more from bets on other teams than they have to pay to the Vegas betters.

On top of that, anybody who bet on Vegas with the sexy “500-1 odds to win the Stanley Cup” that we couldn’t stop hearing about still didn’t win a cent, because Vegas still didn’t win the Cup.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Sens would do it to end the Erik Karlsson drama and get something pretty valuable for them moving forward provided he's not going to extend with them. They can't just let Karlsson walk. And Tavares would commit to Vegas simply because the people who work there don't have zero track record. They actually have plenty of track record and are well respected. Neal is a guy Vegas could keep and have a reasonable expectation for him to do what he did last year. Neal didn't have a career year. That was actually pretty normal for him. Perron, on the other hand, I would agree with not trusting him to replicate his performance next year. Even if you buy that everyone on that team had a career year, you have to take into account new roles for them and what about their seasons is unsustainable and what should the reasonable expectation be. If they re-signed William Karlsson and ran with the same top line again, yeah you wouldn't expect 40+ goals out of him but I don't see it unreasonable to think he'd be a 20+ goal scorer next year. And with that, I wouldn't expect any of that top line to not be 60+ point players either. I don't see a reason to believe that Shea Theodore or Colin Miller or Nate Schmidt can't replicate what they did. I suspect Haula will also be around 20 goals next year. Tuch with an expanded role is probably around 20 goals as well. Certain things Vegas did isn't sustainable but they did a lot that is and people shouldn't discount that. Karlsson dropping from 40+ to 20+ isn't going to kill them.

No one thing is gonna kill them and they do have legitimately great players who showcased their true talent level this season - Marchessault, Smith, Schmidt, Theodore and Miller are all guys you can expect the same performance out of next year. Karlsson and Fleury are virtual guarantees to drop off significantly though and that's a lot of wins you're losing if Fleury drops to his career average levels. He's simply not anywhere near as good a goalie as he showed this season. They're not going to get amazing performances out of their very mediocre backups again either. Haula probably drops below 40 points if he's playing with Tuch and Tatar instead of Perron and Neal and their bottom six looks like complete garbage assuming Perron and Neal walk. Maybe Glass or Suzuki steps into the lineup and fixes that but you can't count on it. Maybe they'll sign other free agents to fix that (they probably will) but I don't trust McPhee's ability to sign the right ones. There simply aren't many good UFAs in that range this year anyway.

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No one thing is gonna kill them and they do have legitimately great players who showcased their true talent level this season - Marchessault, Smith, Schmidt, Theodore and Miller are all guys you can expect the same performance out of next year. Karlsson and Fleury are virtual guarantees to drop off significantly though and that's a lot of wins you're losing if Fleury drops to his career average levels. He's simply not anywhere near as good a goalie as he showed this season. They're not going to get amazing performances out of their very mediocre backups again either. Haula probably drops below 40 points if he's playing with Tuch and Tatar instead of Perron and Neal and their bottom six looks like complete garbage assuming Perron and Neal walk. Maybe Glass or Suzuki steps into the lineup and fixes that but you can't count on it. Maybe they'll sign other free agents to fix that (they probably will) but I don't trust McPhee's ability to sign the right ones. There simply aren't many good UFAs in that range this year anyway.

That's why we have to wait and see what the off-season holds for them. They have a ridiculous amount of flexibility and certainly will have the capability of acquiring whatever they may lose to free agency. To say they won't even come close next year is way too presumptuous for the situation. They have a good base of players even with a lot of them having career years.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Vegas odds-makers can’t lose money no matter what happens. The betting odds are entirely based on how others bet. So, if Vegas has 500-1 odds to win the Stanley Cup, all that means is that for every $1 that has been bet on Vegas, over $500 have been bet on other teams to win the Stanley Cup. So, in a crazy fairy tale scenario where Vegas wins the Cup, the odds makers still don’t lose money, because they got more from bets on other teams than they have to pay to the Vegas betters.

On top of that, anybody who bet on Vegas with the sexy “500-1 odds to win the Stanley Cup” that we couldn’t stop hearing about still didn’t win a cent, because Vegas still didn’t win the Cup.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Well, even in that case, it’s still a moot point as they didn’t win the Stanley Cup. You don’t get a partial payout for almost getting it right, lol

Actually, some people did. Just before the start of the final series several sports books were offering people with the 500 to 1 tickets a buyout option.

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
With Fleury's meltdown in the finals, Martin Jones became the leader in save percentage of the 2018 playoffs.

Reactions: Bizz and Phu

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
With Fleury's meltdown in the finals, Martin Jones became the leader in save percentage of the 2018 playoffs.

vIf0lAD.gif

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Actually, some people did. Just before the start of the final series several sports books were offering people with the 500 to 1 tickets a buyout option.

It is weird to see fleury's stats from reg season and playoffs.

4 shutouts. 2.24 gaa, .927sv%. Identical from reg to playoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad