GDT: 2018 Other Playoff Games Part II

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
You know the season just ended when someone attempts to compare a guy that went undrafted and wasn't good enough for 3 other franchises to first-ballot hofer Joe Thornton.

Let's see how Marchessault finishes this series out before making him out to be the next great playoff performer. Joe was great in the St. Louis series to get to the finals.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You know the season just ended when someone attempts to compare a guy that went undrafted and wasn't good enough for 3 other franchises to first-ballot hofer Joe Thornton.

Let's see how Marchessault finishes this series out before making him out to be the next great playoff performer. Joe was great in the St. Louis series to get to the finals.

The asinine part is to attempt to take away their playmaking as if that's something you could legitimately do for this purpose much less make any real claim as to what they'd be without such a skill. It's just absurd.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The asinine part is to attempt to take away their playmaking as if that's something you could legitimately do for this purpose much less make any real claim as to what they'd be without such a skill. It's just absurd.
My issue is that its not like Jumbo cant score goals. He could score goals, he just made an asinine choice to be one of the top 5 set up men the NHL has ever seen. Could he have been a more rounded player? Absolutely, and I think the staff of the Sharks kind of fubared that part of his game by letting him get away with not shooting. But to deny the fact that he could completely control a game during his prime is mind blowing.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My issue is that its not like Jumbo cant score goals. He could score goals, he just made an asinine choice to be one of the top 5 set up men the NHL has ever seen. Could he have been a more rounded player? Absolutely, and I think the staff of the Sharks kind of fubared that part of his game by letting him get away with not shooting. But to deny the fact that he could completely control a game during his prime is mind blowing.

Just the mere fact that if you took away Thornton's playmaking skills, his approach to the game completely changes to the point that you can't just assume that everything else stays the same. That makes no sense. He wouldn't be coached the same and brought up the same.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
@Doctor Soraluce when I was saying probably, I was talking about the alternate reality where Joe Thornton literally cannot record assists. A prime Thornton would have been ridiculous on our 3rd line even with his playoff struggles and would have made our 3rd line easily the best in the NHL.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
The whole thing is asinine.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Also @OrrNumber4 (quoting from previous thread), you ruin your credibility and show a very clear bias when you say things like “Joe Thornton was the Sharks 2nd best player in the 2016 regular season.” Thornton finished top-5 in Hart voting because he was by far the best player on the team. I don’t even know who you think the best player on that team was but I’m sure as hell hoping you’re not implying Burns, because he was a train wreck defensively for the first half of that season.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Also @OrrNumber4 (quoting from previous thread), you ruin your credibility and show a very clear bias when you say things like “Joe Thornton was the Sharks 2nd best player in the 2016 regular season.” Thornton finished top-5 in Hart voting because he was by far the best player on the team. I don’t even know who you think the best player on that team was but I’m sure as hell hoping you’re not implying Burns, because he was a train wreck defensively for the first half of that season.

Personally, I saw Hertl as the straw stirring the 2016 drink, when he went down so did the magic. Couture was also phenominal. Thornton was playing injured and was certainly still a first ballot HoF player, too (but IMO was top 3 fwd for us, not top 1).

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Personally, I saw Hertl as the straw stirring the 2016 drink, when he went down so did the magic. Couture was also phenominal. Thornton was playing injured and was certainly still a first ballot HoF player, too (but IMO was top 3 fwd for us, not top 1).

How in the world was couture phenominal in the regular season in 2015-16?

36 points in 52 games. Ground breaking.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Hertl was great but dude. What.

Hertl has never scored more than 46 points. Thornton had 82 that season. All 3 players were extremely important to that line but the reason that they faltered in the Stanley Cup Finals was because in addition to Hertl’s absence, Pavelski was clearly playing injured, and because the Sharks had pretty much no answer for Pittsburgh’s stifling defensive system.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Hertl was great but dude. What.

Hertl has never scored more than 46 points. Thornton had 82 that season. All 3 players were extremely important to that line but the reason that they faltered in the Stanley Cup Finals was because in addition to Hertl’s absence, Pavelski was clearly playing injured, and because the Sharks had pretty much no answer for Pittsburgh’s stifling defensive system.

Add to this. The line did have an answer to the pens when placed with the burns pairing. But for sone odd and moronic reason deboer got away from what worked for the previous 3 rounds and stopped using burns with thorntons line. Instead asked thornton to baby sit the best defensive pairing ever with polak on it.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Add to this. The line did have an answer to the pens when placed with the burns pairing. But for sone odd and moronic reason deboer got away from what worked for the previous 3 rounds and stopped using burns with thorntons line. Instead asked thornton to baby sit the best defensive pairing ever with polak on it.

Isn't it great when a stupid decision to play Polak leads to DeBoer having to go away from what works?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Think Nolan meant the playoffs, in which case, Couture could have won the Conn Smythe.

Nolan might have been. But the post he qouted said regular season thornton was the best player on the team. Which he was, and also followed that up with a conn smyth performance himself.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
@Doctor Soraluce when I was saying probably, I was talking about the alternate reality where Joe Thornton literally cannot record assists. A prime Thornton would have been ridiculous on our 3rd line even with his playoff struggles and would have made our 3rd line easily the best in the NHL.

Ive been reading the board for maybe a decade. C'mon man... You gotta do better than that.

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Washington looks surprised.

You had to figure that Vasilevskiy was very unlikely to play so poorly all the time.

Also, is Brooks Orpik the worst consistent NHL defenseman?

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Nolan might have been. But the post he qouted said regular season thornton was the best player on the team. Which he was, and also followed that up with a conn smyth performance himself.
My bad, thought it was saying Thornton in the playoffs. He was good, but he was playing on one leg and still was one of our best.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

Perhaps Burns's strong finish is biasing it in my mind.

How in the hell was Joe Thornton's playoff performance Conn Smythe-worthy? Granted, a weak candidate won it that year, but had the Sharks won the cup, Thornton would have been fifth-in-line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad